PDA

View Full Version : Jordan McLaughlin - New 2014 PG recruit?

BoRealist
01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
This is the first time I've seen this young man pop up on our recruiting radar. Mark can you confirm that we have legit interest in Jordan and he's likewise interested in UNM. From Etiwanda Cal, don't we know a few peeps from that area?

Dude is a 4-5 star, #5 PG recruit in the nation. Holy smokes.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Jordan-McLaughlin-134212

txlobo95
01-31-2013, 11:32 AM
I posted this on the main board about a week ago???

Been asleep? :lol:

see page 14 of recruiting thread...:biggrin:

txlobo95
01-31-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm still pinching myself to think if we can land 1 of these 4 to go with Bryce and Xavier, we're going to have a ridiculous back-court for the next several years...:cool:

Not to mention, Hugh will a Sr. their frosh years, so they won't be thrown in the fire immediatley, but could earn time immediately, if they are ready to play at a high level.

BoRealist
01-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Don't forget that Thomas, Merv and Bryce will be here that year as well. I would be pumped if any of those young men chose UNM, sure hope Coach & Co. can land at least one of our big ticket players for 2014.

txlobo95
01-31-2013, 01:36 PM
I was thinking Merv might be more of a 3/4 combo, both him and Devon? Or like a Hobson type player? It will be nice to finally have a back-up with size for Tony for at least one season, next year.

The great thing about our coaches, if the frosh is talented and can play at a high level, they have no issue playing them immediatley. Both Kendall and Hugh earned starting jobs their frosh years and pretty early in each respective season.

I can only hope these players see our coaches track record with talented frosh and make a "wise" choice...:cool:

LoboMike
01-31-2013, 01:39 PM
McLaughlin is a HS teammate of Lobo signee Tim Myles. I think our chances are better with Josh Perkins, but obviously McLaughlin would be a great get also. Big time guards on our radar for 2014.

txlobo95
01-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Just FYI, appears Reelsteele was the one that found the nugget on this player: (more info in this thread)

http://thelobolair.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42067

BoRealist
02-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Some notes on Jordan and current signed Lobo Tim Myles on Rivals recruiting article.

Sounds like Tim is even smaller than we expected (6'6" PF). I wouldn't worry about it though as Alford's Lobos have proved many times over that activity, positioning and ball hawking is much more important in the rebounding game vs. simple size.

I really hope that the teammate connection between Tim and Jordan can help swing this high ceiling PG to the Lobos.

Go Get'em NOODLES, ride the Harley up to his front door AK style.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1467786

txlobo95
02-04-2013, 10:43 AM
He
gets from end to end in a hurry, flies to the rim for dunks and really plays with physicality. The effort, athleticism and physicality are all there, but he will need to adjust to playing against bigger players.

I wouldn't worry too much about him either being 6'6" or 6'7", what what KT? He pretty much dominated, so I think he'll be ok. I like the above description and maybe he beats his defenders down court for easy buckets? He can get to the rim with ease and has a very powerful frame. That's all I need to know.

BTW, Chane Behannen of UL is only 6'6" and seemed to be doing pretty good eh?

LoboMike
02-04-2013, 10:54 AM
He'll get to go up against bigger players, some much bigger, in practice every day. AK, Cam, Obij, Nick. Actually, the adjustment starts soon as he will begin playing with/against those guys when he shows up this summer. The program just rolls along. Next man up!

JulieG
02-04-2013, 02:59 PM
All the listing services list him at 6'7 and 215 to 220lbs. As with Kenny the weight may be more important than the height

bonesw505
02-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Not worried about that dude's size. He is a beastly athlete. More concerned about his polish.

Mark
02-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Adams kid.

BoRealist
02-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Adams kid.

Which one, Jordan or Tim or both? Either way good deal.

Really hoping for the Cali connect again.

Xavier Adams
Zylan Cheatham
Evan Fitzner
Jordan McLaughlin

Would be an amazing class. Good enough to get me off their back for recruiting for a while.

LIDOakaLJT
02-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Good enough to get me off their back for recruiting for a while.

Liar! :biggrin: You'd get worse...you'd be expecting them to get better and better... :yup:

BoRealist
02-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Liar! :biggrin: You'd get worse...you'd be expecting them to get better and better... :yup:

Nah, adding 2-3 potential all MWC players like we did in 2010/11 gets coach a year or two reprieve. (And NBA type talent)

2010 Class
Alex Kirk
Kendall Williams
Tony Snell
Drew Gordon
Cameron Bairstow

That's what a recruiting class should look like.

Mark
02-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Which one, Jordan or Tim or both? Either way good deal.

Xavier Adams
Zylan Cheatham
Evan Fitzner
Jordan McLaughlin

Would be an amazing class. Good enough to get me off their back for recruiting for a while.

Jordan is not Myles. That was Bru's kid.

txlobo95
02-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Jordan is not Myles. "That" was Bru's kid.

:Z

txlobo95
02-06-2013, 04:20 PM

Xavier Adams
Zylan Cheatham
Evan Fitzner
Jordan McLaughlin

Really? Weren't you the one pounding the table to bring in at least 1 legit, powerful, big, back to the basket type center? (A big nasty like Drew or Alex?)

Now Fitzner, more of a larger Ro type fits the bill for you?

I don't see any legit centers, low block scorers in that group? (need replacements for Alex and Cam)

IMO, "if" we can lock up one of these top level point guards, then you probably get Z or Fitzner, but probably not both, but I could be wrong?

Size still wins in college and the more depth you have the better off you are. You need at least 1 extra large big nasty in the middle to help anchor your defense and help control the boards.

Just look at CSU with Iverson and Hornung. They are dominating the glass and have a 15 rpi as a result.

BoRealist
02-07-2013, 08:18 AM
REALLY.

I don't see why a 6'10" guy in Fitzner can't play with his back to the basket? Are you still on the band wagon that Kirk is a face up 4 man? Pretty sure Coach Alford and Alex Kirk have dispelled that notion repeatedly. If the young man has the skills to face up at 6'10 then he can play on the block too. You have to be able to rebound not simply be a big. If Fitzner isn't able to rebound or defend a 4 then that would be a problem, but I'll leave that analysis up to your expert opinions since you've been watching him. I simply read the scouting report that says 6'10" PF who has touch out to the arc and ball handling skills. I've never seen a report saying he's incapable of playing down low?

If the staff can find a true center with the up side of Fitzner then I'd take either one. Not getting a player who can play the 4 or the 5 in 2014 should not be an option regardless and I'm sure the coaching staff doesn't need me to tell them that.

The potential 2014 class I posted would produce at least 2 Mountain West star players. That's more important than accidentally recruiting a stretch 4 instead of a true center to me. Give yourself the best chance to put stars on the court.

txlobo95
02-07-2013, 09:40 AM
I've never seen a report saying he's incapable of playing down low?

There was a video he was interviewed and he specifically mentioned that was his biggest weakness that needs to be worked on. He doesn't really play on the block and would need to work hard on that.

I'm thinking we need an actually 5 vs. a stretch 4. Someone that will command the defenses attention down low opening up the perimeter guys for shots or drives.

If coaches could convert him to an effective low block player that fines, but IMO, you need a more physical, big nasty diff maker down low. One that specializes on the block from the get go and has been playing there all throughout HS. Not primarily shooting 3's that you have to convert once he gets here.

I guess I'm thinking more of a Gorgui Dieng type. A defensive enforcer, stopper type, but still have some offense that you can post him up.

LoboMike
02-07-2013, 10:09 AM
tx, I think they may see Aget as that guy eventually. Plus, the first year this 2014 class would be here with Fitzner in theory, AK would still be here also. We'd be okay getting 6-10 Fitzner as a big in 2014 and then adding a more true center in 2015 to replace AK and compete with Aget.

BoRealist
02-07-2013, 10:22 AM
There was a video he was interviewed and he specifically mentioned that was his biggest weakness that needs to be worked on. He doesn't really play on the block and would need to work hard on that.

I'm thinking we need an actually 5 vs. a stretch 4. Someone that will command the defenses attention down low opening up the perimeter guys for shots or drives.

If coaches could convert him to an effective low block player that fines, but IMO, you need a more physical, big nasty diff maker down low. One that specializes on the block from the get go and has been playing there all throughout HS. Not primarily shooting 3's that you have to convert once he gets here.

I guess I'm thinking more of a Gorgui Dieng type. A defensive enforcer, stopper type, but still have some offense that you can post him up.

My problem with your post is your snarky little BS starting it off. "Really, weren't you banging the table". Of course I've said multiple times that we need a big time post player / Big in the 2014 class. I put Fitzner in there because I'm not convinced that he can't become a good post player (height and talent already). If the coaching staff determines that Fitzner can't handle playing inside on O or D, then I agree taking two stretch forwards in Cheatham and Fitzner is not a great solution. I see 6'10 PF I think 6'10 Big regardless of face forward or backward.

When I look at the Lobo recruiting databases/lists Evan Fitzner looks like the most promising Big on them (almost the only one). I'd take him and risk that Coach Alford can teach him to play/defend the post. I've seen them mold bigs before, it would be nice to start off with some serious skills/talent.

Agreed Mike, Obig Aget --- hopefully your Deing type rim protector. Sophmore when Fitzner gets hear (in theory)

bonesw505
02-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Here's a face up forward who came to college with no post game:

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2013/02/06/kelly-olynyk-among-best-big-men-in-the-country-for-gonzaga-bulldogs/

txlobo95
02-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Here's a face up forward who came to college with no post game:

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2013/02/06/kelly-olynyk-among-best-big-men-in-the-country-for-gonzaga-bulldogs/

So we would have to wait 4 years to have an effective post player? (He's now a Jr that redshirted last year to "work on his game" and get stronger.

txlobo95
02-07-2013, 12:31 PM
tx, I think they may see Aget as that guy eventually. Plus, the first year this 2014 class would be here with Fitzner in theory, AK would still be here also. We'd be okay getting 6-10 Fitzner as a big in 2014 and then adding a more true center in 2015 to replace AK and compete with Aget.

I guess put me in the camp of being skeptical about Aget's health and viability in the "near" future. Long term he should be ok with development and more weight on his frame. Remember Mustaphe? What about the 7' kid from UNLV that we brought in for a visit?

Chier Ajou is currently with Northwestern, but can't get off the bench his frosh year.

I "hope" Aget could become a "quality starter", but if you look at the history of these types of players, IMO, the best you can hope for is what Cincy now gets from David Nyasurk as a Jr. A Quality rotation player that comes off the bench.

I think that's where our opinions diff. You guys think Aget is immediate future starter at the 5. Even if he is, you still need 4/5 players to rotate in at the 4/5 positions.

IMO, we still need to sign that "immediate" starter at the 5 and have Aget be the primary rotation guy off the bench, like Cam has been this year, before recently starting.

With the quality guards we have lined up (Pancake, Merv, Devon, Bryce, Xavier), if we can get one of those top line "true" pg's, then IMO, we have the "luxury" to build depth in the post positions, something we have not been able to do in prior seasons or have just flat out had bad luck (Henry, Rusher, Brown, Eman, Alex's RS year, etc)

If that big is Fitzer for 2014 then so be it. The following year, we'd need to go after 2 more true bigs as well with Alex and Hugh's schollies if we bring in 3 guards for 2014.

BoRealist
02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
So we would have to wait 4 years to have an effective post player? (He's now a Jr that redshirted last year to "work on his game" and get stronger.

tx, that's a typical model for bigs. From time to time you see people like Anthony Davis who walk right into a starting 5 position and are ready to go from day one. A vast majority of bigs need time to develop. A player like fitzner will still be able to face up and give you 10-15 quality minutes as a freshman big if his skill base is as good as reported, and in a couple years maybe you wind up with an All-Conference post who can handle himself inside and out and knows Alford's system. I think this staff could get that done if Fitzner is a willing and able pupil.

2014 Bigs - Kirk sr, Aget so, Banyard jr, Miles so .... Fitzner? Pretty nice assuming health and progression from Banyard, Aget and Miles.

It would be nice to line up a plug and play 5 in 2014 but those are rare.

BoRealist
02-07-2013, 12:45 PM
I "hope" Aget could become a "quality starter", but if you look at the history of these types of players, IMO, the best you can hope for is what Cincy now gets from David Nyasurk as a Jr. A Quality rotation player that comes off the bench.

I think that's where our opinions diff. You guys think Aget is immediate future starter at the 5. Even if he is, you still need 4/5 players to rotate in at the 4/5 positions.

IMO, we still need to sign that "immediate" starter at the 5 and have Aget be the primary rotation guy off the bench, like Cam has been this year, before recently starting.

With the quality guards we have lined up (Pancake, Merv, Devon, Bryce, Xavier), if we can get one of those top line "true" pg's, then IMO, we have the "luxury" to build depth in the post positions, something we have not been able to do in prior seasons or have just flat out had bad luck (Henry, Rusher, Brown, Eman, Alex's RS year, etc)

If that big is Fitzer for 2014 then so be it. The following year, we'd need to go after 2 more true bigs as well with Alex and Hugh's schollies if we bring in 3 guards for 2014.

Agreed TX, but I don't think any of us believe Aget is an "immediate future starter at the 5". I'm hopeful that he starts eventually a year or two down the line. If that's not the case then it its important to add a true big in 2014. I don't think we're that far apart actually. Everyone agrees that we need a post player in 2014 just depends on if Fitzner is it?

LoboMike
02-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Aget will be playing behind AK for two years. That will be enough time to judge if he's the heir apparent or they need to recruit someone else to take over for AK. More likely, Aget would get the nod after AK is gone and then you'd have another young center to play behind him at that point. It's not as if we need to have some stud 7-footer at this level to be successful anyway. We could always go back to the power forward playing center model that we've had a lot of years.

There are also other bigs on the list besides Fitzner. They've got it covered and will see what direction they will need to go. Issac Allen from AZ could be a nice center option for 2014.

txlobo95
02-07-2013, 02:02 PM
It's not as if we need to have some stud 7-footer at this level to be successful anyway. We could always go back to the power forward playing center model that we've had a lot of years.

I agree you don't need a 7' player to be successful. However, I think you need multiple "power" players in your post rotation. By power players, I mean, like Drew 245 lbs+, Alex 250 lbs+, Cam 250 lbs + and all of them are strong enough to move players inside. (remember the bull 250+ from Oral Roberts that moved around our inside guys pretty easily?) As Alex has shown, being 7' doesn't hurt as he can get over the top of players on a lot of occcassions. Look at Isiah Austin at Baylor. His 7' frame really benefits his game. When Baylor made their Elite 8 run, I think they had 3 diff 7 footers or close to 7 foot.

I don't see Aget at that type of "power" player, but more shot swatter and shot alterer, but won't move bodies around.

Tim, albeit, undersized at 6'6" or 6'7" could be a power player at the 4, much like Behannen of UL, as he has a football body and is really strong from all reports and already at 220-225 lbs.

I do think for UNM to hit it's full stride, we need at least 5 players to rotate in at the 4/5 positions to truly be successful. Where coach's don't have to worry about foul issues affecting the rotation, if you can come off the bench with another starter quality post player and 2 more players that can hold their own.

I'm really hoping Nick can bulk up this spring/summer and come back in the fall at a solid and muscular 225 lbs. If so, he'll get a lot more PT next year vs. this year. Nick is already ridiculously athletic. Adding strength would improve his game by leaps and bounds.

EZLoboCat
02-07-2013, 09:07 PM
It would be nice to get a "dark horse" 7' from down under! We need another Aussie - oi oi oi!!!

Mark
02-07-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm not going to sit here and pump up Obij but ill tell you this. A guy who worked with everyone of the 7' international players (including Jok) said Obij was the best of the 6 who came over for the 12-13-14 classes. Cheir, Beas, Obij, Nursyak, Peter, and someone else I'm forgetting.
The best surgeon in Chicago worked on Obij. According to them everything went perfect and he's looking perfect. He won't start for 2 years while Alex is here but he'll give you big defensive mins off the bench.

Remember what the AF coach said about them driving the lane and having issues getting it over the 7'er? Imagine 7'1(2?) with longer arms in the paint?
Many of the same culprits who were openly criticizing Alex before the season will do the same with Obij. Until he delelops a little then they will sink back and continue to analyze the next player who doesn't fit their eye test.
Coach will still be winning championships with questionable players in some fans eyes. Esh.

Mark
02-07-2013, 10:12 PM
http://youtu.be/tntg5_qjk6I

Mark
02-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Btw, I'm that video is where he dominated the #1 player in the nation, Andre Drummond and CBC last summer. He also held everyone's favorite freshman to zero points last summer, Anthony Bennett. Not bad for a project.

swerve3030
02-07-2013, 11:34 PM
I love Agent's game. Just a real nice soft touch. He's going to be a joy to watch in the next few years.

dbkirkp
02-08-2013, 06:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_0fyUYB3cA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is what I expect out of Obij.

Mark
02-08-2013, 06:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBx7CVf_7sE&sns=em

Mark
02-08-2013, 06:53 AM
That's hilarious dbkirkp!

BoRealist
02-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Hey Mark, as we are all of the understanding that Obij is coming, and will be a productive project for the first couple seasons. Can you tell us who the big post player recruit is that the staff is focusing on? I'm comfortable with where we stand on Aget. Is Fitzner the #1 Big prospect on the Lobo's radar or is there another we don't know about? Even if Obij turns out to be an NBA talent big we'll always need another post player.

lobobash
02-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Does anyone know how exactly Obij tore his ACL or if there was any other damage done? just curious.............

Mark
02-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Hey Mark, as we are all of the understanding that Obij is coming, and will be a productive project for the first couple seasons. Can you tell us who the big post player recruit is that the staff is focusing on? I'm comfortable with where we stand on Aget. Is Fitzner the #1 Big prospect on the Lobo's radar or is there another we don't know about? Even if Obij turns out to be an NBA talent big we'll always need another post player.

Heres all the list. Kelly isnt on the list however we will see him visit after the season.

http://thelobolair.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26214

Evan is more of a face-up 6'10" kid. Hes not real productive in the post as he stands today. Hes more euro from my understanding.

Zylan is more of a wing at 6' 7" but can/will be productive inside because of his athleticism and determination to get boards.

Tim Myles is your traditional bruiser who will fight everyone including his teammates for rebounds. Super aggressive and strong as a bull. He lacks the actual skills in the post as of today due to him starting basketball so late because he was a running back and linebacker. Due to concussions he quit the sport. We have many options to score in the paint. He will provide the aggression when a shots missed by one of our guards or bigs. E-Man lite.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3856/image010qb.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/image010qb.jpg/)

Mark
02-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Playing pickup a month before he was to leave. Clean tear and everything went great during surgery.

txlobo95
02-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Heres all the list. Kelly isnt on the list however and we will see him visit after the season. (SERIOUSLY?)

Evan is more of a face-up 6'10" kid. Hes not real productive in the post as he stands today. Hes more euro from my understanding.

Tim Myles is your traditional bruiser who will fight everyone including his teammates for rebounds. Super aggressive and strong as a bull...E-Man lite.

Please don't tease me with Kelly. "IF" we got him, then my entire line of thinking changes 100%!!!! :11: :P~

That would be something we may have never seen here at UNM. A possible NBA quality center to play alongside a possibly NBA quality power forward.

Actually our entire starting 5 would be pro quality in one form or another. Alex, Kelly, Tony, KW, Hugh. First off bench, Cam or Obij, Tim or Nick, Merv or Devon, Pancake or D Walk and Bryce, yikes! :cool:

Our 2nd team would be ridiculous! Preseason top 10 if we landed Kelly, guaranteed! :cool:

Mark
02-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Without giving out too much of the 6th man info.
He will visit after the season. His basketball schedule conflicts with every game of ours. He loves the whole South Beach thing and Lebron but if we can make an impression on him during his visit...

JulieG
02-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm not going to sit here and pump up Obij but ill tell you this. A guy who worked with everyone of the 7' international players (including Jok) said Obij was the best of the 6 who came over for the 12-13-14 classes. Cheir, Beas, Obij, Nursyak, Peter, and someone else I'm forgetting.
The best surgeon in Chicago worked on Obij. According to them everything went perfect and he's looking perfect. He won't start for 2 years while Alex is here but he'll give you big defensive mins off the bench.

Remember what the AF coach said about them driving the lane and having issues getting it over the 7'er? Imagine 7'1(2?) with longer arms in the paint?
Many of the same culprits who were openly criticizing Alex before the season will do the same with Obij. Until he delelops a little then they will sink back and continue to analyze the next player who doesn't fit their eye test.
Coach will still be winning championships with questionable players in some fans eyes. Esh. Mark, he has what a lot of 6'11 and taller players don't have, which is mobility. He runs the court well and he is fairly quick around the basket. I think he will be a big surprise for many and will probably let Cam be the four most of the time. But, no matter what it will make a huge difference to have 3 guys who can play the five if necessary.

txlobo95
02-09-2013, 09:11 AM
But, no matter what it will make a huge difference to have 3 guys who can play the five if necessary.

Good point, and I hope going forward, we will always maintain this ratio. Maybe 1 or 2 guys that are strictly 5's and then 1 or 2 that can play the 4 or 5.