PDA

View Full Version : Dorian Pickens

COLOLOBO
02-08-2013, 11:38 PM
I had a few free hours this evening so I attended a HS basketball game. The game was between Mesa and Pinnacle High. Dorian Pickens leads the Pinnacle team both from a statistic and from a respect aspect. His play is high level when the intensity of the game is at its highest. He has a decent outside shot yet it is not a picture perfect jump shot like a really good shooter has. He will go get a rebound at a critical moment and his vertical is average. His defense is adequate and he knows the defense that his team is trying to execute well enough to tell his team mates where to be but Coach would spend a great deal of time insuring that he knows that the defensive end of the court is the most important. He has very good strength and his lower body is college ready. He handles the ball adequately for a three and in our offense maybe at the two.
Three other Universities that I could ID were represented i.e. Mich, ASU, and NAU. NAU might have been in the building because they have a verbal from Pinnacle’s point guard.
Now, for the numbers he had 15 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assist, 2 steals, 2 turn overs, and one very important block. 7 of the 15 points came from the free throw line.
Bottom line he is rated a four star by some services but I see limitations. He can play at a high level and yet disappears for long stretches. The talent is there but he would feel the wrath if he didn’t learn to go all out for Coach. An example of this was late in the 4th his team was trading baskets in a two point game yet he did not fight the defense to go get the ball and the game stayed tight. Now, it is a given that the other teams defense was paying very close attention to him. He appears to be about 6’5 and a solid body and he would be a good two guard but his foot speed may not allow that so he may end of being an under size three.
Oh and that all important block that I mentioned might have won the game. He got it with less than a minute left and Pinnacle with a two point lead. He also came away with the ball and made an assist for a layup that put the game away a 76 – 73 win for Pinnacle over top seeded Mesa that had lost only 4 games all year.

Mark
02-08-2013, 11:57 PM
What did you think of Jalen Jenkins? 2015 big time player for Mesa.

COLOLOBO
02-09-2013, 01:15 AM
What did you think of Jalen Jenkins? 2015 big time player for Mesa.

I can see why he caught Coaches eye he is very fast from one end to the other. Dorian tried to man him up and he blew right past him. He is more of a slasher than a true point but he is so young it is hard to tell if he will continue to be a point. Mesa's coach is a real waste so there is no telling if Jalen will get developed enough to remain at the point. He is definitely a score first point. Mesa's coach has more talent than any other school in the valley yet he seems to find a way to lose the close games. He also has Allen (an?) a 6'10 fellow with a great deal of raw ability but coach doesn't know how to use him. Prior to this game they had lost four games by a total of 8 points.

a1lobo
08-18-2013, 06:17 AM
Unfortunately we did not make his top 7! Now on to the next target!