PDA

View Full Version : JJ O'Brien

stchas
08-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Did Alford ever offer JJ O'Brien, or did he decide to go with Jarion Henry instead? I think that I remember Mark saying that "O'Brien was waiting in the wings" if UNM couldn't get Henry to commit.

Mark
08-12-2013, 06:47 PM
We cooled for one reason or another. He was wanting to come visit but we ended up passing for some reason. Why?

mrgoodbar
08-12-2013, 07:46 PM
The question probably had to do with recruiting battling between MWC schools in particular SDSU. We are both in Z's top five. We were heavily recruiting WS and I think we may have offered SS also. That would be a bummer to lose another one to them.

stchas
08-13-2013, 10:41 AM
We cooled for one reason or another. He was wanting to come visit but we ended up passing for some reason. Why?

http://www.aztecmesa.proboards.com/thread/32042/new-mexico-diego-state-recruiting

Mark
08-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Only recruit we have lost to them is WS. We passed on O'Brian in favor or someone else. Alford didnt want too many xfers too.
We offered Zabo but chose not to follow him pre July. He played all his AAU ball on the Far East coast and UNM chose not to send asst's that far with all the talent in Vegas. SDSU sent Hut after we offered. Look it up, it's all facts. They didnt even call on him prior to us offering. But we chose to to pursue him on circuit where SDSU did. Call it what you will. We didn't really try. SDSU went all out so I guess you could say they beat us because we weren't really trying. He's going to be a good player though!

txlobo95
08-13-2013, 11:55 AM

That one did puzzle me. JJ was a good player at Utah. Only thing I can think is an attitude issue? SDFU last year seemed to have it's share, how much was from JJ, who knows? Basketball wise, it was a loss for us not to get him. Would probably be the starting 3 this year.

I hope DD can live up to the hype and be our walk in starting 3.

isaac
08-13-2013, 01:18 PM
JJ definitely is not a 3, he would be backing up Cam and Alex. The guy(JJ) can't hit anything beyond 10ft.

txlobo95
08-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Didn't he play the wing for Utah? Not all 3's have to camp out on the wing and jack up 3's. Seems he drove the ball quite a bit and got the to FT line quite a bit? Utah listed him as a guard/wing.