PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Transfers

Lobo4sho
08-29-2013, 01:59 PM
I wanted to throw this out there because I am curious....I noticed on UCLA's basketball website that it explains the process for a player who is leaving their old school for one reason, if they are interested, how to go about making their intentions known for transferring to UCLA. Granted, many of the players who leave the school they previously committed to could be problem kids, but not all of them. What, if anything, is UNM doing to recruit those kids that are looking to transfer? Is there anything we (the fans) could be doing to sway them to come to UNM?

Mark
08-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Im totally confused by your post. Maybe its me.

Mark
08-29-2013, 08:43 PM
BTW, welcome to the site!

JulieG
08-29-2013, 09:12 PM
I think its you, Mark:-) It is a bit muddled, but he is asking whether we find and pursue transfers. Which is heartily, yes. We also identify ones who might want to come here, but in the end it is the coaches who do the pursuing, not a website add.

Lobo4sho
08-30-2013, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the responses. Maybe to clarify a little, I thought that coaches were not allowed to initiate contact with a player who is transferring, but only the player who is transferring could initiate contact. Maybe I am wrong about that, but I thought it was an NCAA rule. That is why I was wondering if something was in place for the fans to contact the players who are transferring to sway them our way.

COLOLOBO
08-30-2013, 10:28 AM
A coach, another player, nor a representative can contact a player from another school for the purpose of recruitment. I believe this is the NCAA position or the gist of the rule. And we all know that this never happens (Tongue-in-Cheek).

Lobo4sho
08-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Ok, since that is true, we the fans, not representatives of the team, should be free to contact the players that become available for transfer. Maybe we can work together to find out ways to reach these players and encourage them to contact the UNM staff. I don't think there is anything illegal about that and it is not being prompted by anyone representing the team. Maybe this forum would be a good place to share what we can find out on good players transferring and make attempts to contact them.

Mark
08-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Do not contact them. lol

PreLawLobo
08-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa!! Don't go around trying to recruit players to UNM lol.

dbkirkp
08-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I think (not sure) but transferring students declare they are transferring and get a release and then it is open season. Can't do anything until they declare they are transferring.

COLOLOBO
08-30-2013, 11:44 PM
If you are a fan of a team you are considered a representative of the team.