PDA

View Full Version : Aussie HS Prospects: Can we keep the Aussie connection going?

RedbackVenom
01-06-2014, 02:08 PM
There is now an increasing connection with Australia given the current success of Cam and Hugh; but it all goes way back to Longley.

It would be great to keep that connection moving forward as an Aussie, and I thought I would share some of the finest Aussie prospects coming up through the ranks in Australia:

Aussie High School Prospects: Men (http://pickandroll.com.au/aussie-high-school-prospects-men/)

There are a few Tasmanian's (from Hugh's home state) on the radar as well...

datildame
01-06-2014, 02:52 PM
We love our Aussies. Bring them on!! Thanks:arms:

LIDOakaLJT
01-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the info, RbV!!! Looking forward to our pipeline bringing us some more awesome Aussies!!! :yup:

JulieG
01-08-2014, 12:06 PM
A number of real good prospects, the question is are we after any?

Mark
01-08-2014, 12:45 PM
We looked at the Gerald Martin kid I know. He's good friends with the Greenwood family.

SoCalLobo
01-08-2014, 03:20 PM
I hope we also looked at Dante Exum, Ben Simmons and Thon Maker LOL

RBV--There seems to be different types of Aussie players. Some, like Kyrie Irving and perhaps Thon Maker have questionable or no attachment to Australia. Some, like Simmons and Bolden, left the Australian youth system for the questionable US prep school route. Most, like Greenwood and Bairstow, stuck with the system. How does Australia view each? Obviously, you'd love for Irving to play for the Boomers but what attachment do fans there have for those players that left at a young age? Does the success of Mills, Delly, or Bairstow have a different impact than say Simmons or Maker?

Mark
01-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Exum is probably going straight to the NBA. We have no shot with the others. The Aussie connection is out now.

COLOLOBO
01-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Exum is probably going straight to the NBA. We have no shot with the others. The Aussie connection is out now.

Why have we lost our connection did Coach decide that he can recruit the US and get the same talent as the Aussies without all the expense and other factors.

RedbackVenom
01-11-2014, 10:27 PM
We love our hoops downunder! We would love for Kyrie to be a part of the Australian national team program, however most are resigned to the fact he will commit to USA rather than Oz. He did not play any junior basketball in Australia in any case.

However guys like Simmons, Maker and Bolden all learnt how to play hoops in Australia and then headed to US High School. Exum, Simmons and Bolden are all committed to the Australian national program, Maker however has never really been a part of it and to date has not committed either way. The Aussies hoops community is really excited about the prospects coming through right now - both already those progressed to the pros, but also those in college and at HS. We have some serious talent coming through right now and the future looks bright for the Boomers!

Interestingly, Exum, Simmons and Bolden are all son's of US Imports who played in Australia's NBL, and then chose to stay on and become naturalised Aussies. Exum's dad Cecil played with MJ at UNC!

Make no mistake, the impact of Bogut, Mills, Delly, Baynes and soon Exum, Bairstow, Drmic AND Simmons will be huge for Aussie hoops.

Mark
01-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Why have we lost our connection did Coach decide that he can recruit the US and get the same talent as the Aussies without all the expense and other factors.

Ryan was our main Aussie connection. Noodles and others know the Aussie connections via Miller if im correct.

COLOLOBO
01-13-2014, 11:57 PM
That is to bad but wouldn't the Australian Institute coach know of UNM from Cam and that may have some opportunity for leverage.

RedbackVenom
01-14-2014, 01:41 AM
What is interesting is that former AIS and Adelaide 36ers (Australian NBL) Marty Clarke is also now an Assistant Coach at Saint Mary's College! Expect to see the Aussie pipeline at the Gael's continue.

Everyone who is in the know in Australian hoops circles knows of Cam Bairstow, Hugh Greenwood and New Mexico. The Aussie tour in the off-season also helped and one would have hoped that Coach Neal would have done some recruiting along the way to make it an even more profitable trip.

RENOLOBO
01-14-2014, 04:22 AM
It would b nice to have huge b a grad assist coach if he can't play for checks.

Mark
01-14-2014, 06:21 AM
What is interesting is that former AIS and Adelaide 36ers (Australian NBL) Marty Clarke is also now an Assistant Coach at Saint Mary's College! Expect to see the Aussie pipeline at the Gael's continue.

Everyone who is in the know in Australian hoops circles knows of Cam Bairstow, Hugh Greenwood and New Mexico. The Aussie tour in the off-season also helped and one would have hoped that Coach Neal would have done some recruiting along the way to make it an even more profitable trip.

Teams couldnt/can't recruit while they were on that trip. It was a closed period.

RedbackVenom
01-15-2014, 04:37 AM
Thanks for filling me in on that - I was totally unaware of any such restrictions.

But in any case, the tour certainly helped the Lobo's profile down under.

COLOLOBO
01-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks for filling me in on that - I was totally unaware of any such restrictions.

But in any case, the tour certainly helped the Lobo's profile down under.

Hmmmm, it appears that it will go to waste! :disappointed:

Reuben
03-23-2014, 10:36 PM
It seems like everyone else is aware of the Aussie kids now too. I hate to say it, but when others know about a kid and compete with us (other NCAA type schools) we have always had a difficult time competing with them. Now it seems SDSU is a perennial NCAA team and out recruits us also. I guess its harder to get kids to New Mexico than i thought.

loboray
03-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Sadly, I have to agree Rube. I love living in ABQ and have a tendency to think everyone would be out of their mind not to agree with me. Mark has pointed out to us countless times how difficult it can be on the recruiting trail. Lobo fans just have to be dedicated to making our facilities and University setting the very best it can be so recruits and parents will see how they can succeed in their goals here as good or better than the alternatives. I think AD Krebs has done a good job along those lines and perhaps we are on the right path to improvement. Of course we all want success NOW!!!

RedbackVenom
04-13-2014, 04:23 AM
That link to the Aussie High School prospects list has now been updated to include more talent. The U18 Australian Junior Champ'ships is on right now and we hacve daily coverage of that too.

RedbackVenom
09-11-2014, 10:27 PM
And to highlight just now many Aussies are in NCAA DI hoops next season, we have the comprehensive men's listing up on our site now for 2014/15.

http://pickandroll.com.au/aussies-college-division-men-201415/

With Sobey (Wyoming) and Bairstow graduating, there are now just 4 Aussies in the MWC, and 3 of those are seniors.

JulieG
09-11-2014, 10:35 PM
We need more! ASAP:-)

txlobo95
09-11-2014, 10:45 PM
wow, anyone notice Nicholls State has 7 Aussies?

COLOLOBO
09-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Sadly, I have to agree Rube. I love living in ABQ and have a tendency to think everyone would be out of their mind not to agree with me. Mark has pointed out to us countless times how difficult it can be on the recruiting trail. Lobo fans just have to be dedicated to making our facilities and University setting the very best it can be so recruits and parents will see how they can succeed in their goals here as good or better than the alternatives. I think AD Krebs has done a good job along those lines and perhaps we are on the right path to improvement. Of course we all want success NOW!!!

Well I must disagree with both of you and the proof is our latest recruits. Coach has done a very job of fulfilling our needs with outstanding recruits. Frankly I am surprised that is even a topic of discussion.

loboray
09-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Hmmmm. You do not live in ABQ COLOLOBO, right?? I appreciate the recent success of Noodles and staff, but also know how tough it is to compete with SUDS and Sin City. Now how again did you disagree with my post??

COLOLOBO
09-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Hmmmm. You do not live in ABQ COLOLOBO, right?? I appreciate the recent success of Noodles and staff, but also know how tough it is to compete with SUDS and Sin City. Now how again did you disagree with my post??

Keep in mind that Noodles has had only one year of recruiting as head Coach and he did well. I know that one year does not make it easier to recruit from UNM but we have never had a head coach that also recruits except maybe Bob King. Mark my words Coach has set bar high for all the coaches in the MWC forward and difficulty in recruiting the "Q" is a thing of the past.
And I am sad to say you are right that I no longer live in Albuquerque!

Mark
09-15-2014, 06:47 AM
I wish that was the case but as I've said before. It isn't coaches that make recruiting easy it's the program. UNM has a ceiling on recruits, unfortunately. You think that UNM can recruit above SDSU or UNLV? That's crazy. I think UNLV has leveled off on their recruiting as they are missing all their top targets. I'm a huge Noodles guy but you just don't recruit those guys to UNM. The school has an awful local recruiting base, maybe on par with Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho?
You have to be creative to recruit to UNM. You have to hire club coaches, prep coaches, and alike. I agree, our recruiting the last year has improved over the last 4 but history tells me it will never be better than SDSU or UNLV. They have so many built in advantages that it's not fair to any UNM coach.

Digital Lobo
09-15-2014, 10:20 AM
I wish that was the case but as I've said before. It isn't coaches that make recruiting easy it's the program. UNM has a ceiling on recruits, unfortunately. You think that UNM can recruit above SDSU or UNLV? That's crazy. I think UNLV has leveled off on their recruiting as they are missing all their top targets. I'm a huge Noodles guy but you just don't recruit those guys to UNM. The school has an awful local recruiting base, maybe on par with Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho?
You have to be creative to recruit to UNM. You have to hire club coaches, prep coaches, and alike. I agree, our recruiting the last year has improved over the last 4 but history tells me it will never be better than SDSU or UNLV. They have so many built in advantages that it's not fair to any UNM coach.

Sending players to the NBA and winning conference championships can be somewhat of an equalizer when competing against the SDSUs and the UNLVs and in fact, hasn't UNM won head-to-head recruiting battles with SDSU? Drew Gordon, and Mitchell Lightfoot come to mind among others.

KingNoodles
09-15-2014, 12:13 PM
I don't believe there is a ceiling, certainly inherent disadvantages and extremely unrealistic especially in the short term to recruit at the level of Kentucky, Duke, Kansas etc but not inherently impossible to get close in the right visioned long term (well assuming the power 5 don't make it actually impossible by total exclusion).

And yes UNLV, SDSU for a few factors, location, booster money, local recruiting etc (perhaps some recruiting dark arts) have an overall advantage, but we can and have won and will win individual recruiting battles, due to our Coaches and some of our advantages, The Pit and its legend, facilities, fans, being creative and a bit out of the box like Mark describes, etc.

We have been and continue to win the MWC overall recruiting war, (and the war is won in court results, titles and championships, not recruiting sites stars, ratings) through our older reputation, our special Coach Neal, his reputation and connections, and his talent evaluating skills, our focus on need and suitability to overall TEAM, by, and Neal's expert eyes, over hype and stars and our our success on the court and in getting players to the NBA, under Neal and his predecessor.

We have a much higher and a far more difficult climb than many, but I say there is no ceiling, because in the long term with continued and growing consistency of increasing success, and stable continuity we can crash into the rarefied air. It will be hard and take considerable effort and time but it is not impossible and those Lute loving basturds at Arizona show the reason why and the blueprint.

Neal can be our Lute, only with far more class, he is the right man and he is on that tough road; which is why it was so wise and necessary that Krebs gave him that commitment of support in years and $ now and we all will need to continually as we climb ever higher.

loboray
09-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Not trying to sell Lute short, but his timing was good. Joining the Pac made a tremendous difference for Zona. That move took them from being on a par with UNM to a giant leap ahead. We cannot catch them in the near future unless someone like a Nike or Micorsoft locates here and pours tons of money into the program. Not trying to be a downer, just realistic.

UNMerciful_1
09-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Never is a strong word. We've certainly recruited better than SDSU up until 5 years ago. It took Fish quite a few years to get the ball rolling in that department. Who's to say his successor will be up to the challenge.

RedbackVenom
09-21-2014, 05:27 AM
We have now released an updated list of Aussie high school prospects:

http://pickandroll.com.au/aussie-high-school-prospects-men/

Scott
09-21-2014, 08:09 PM
We have now released an updated list of Aussie high school prospects:

http://pickandroll.com.au/aussie-high-school-prospects-men/
Which one will end up a Lobo......................................

RedbackVenom
09-22-2014, 06:58 AM
Which one will end up a Lobo......................................

I personally hope that Humphries becomes a Lobo and continue the Aussie big man connection.

RedbackVenom
09-29-2014, 07:31 AM
You can also check out the Aussie female prospects too! We have a load of genuine talents that could bring a lot to the table.

http://pickandroll.com.au/aussie-high-school-prospects-women/

RedbackVenom
01-20-2015, 03:12 AM
Isaac Humphries is drawing a lot of interest from some big name schools. Personally I want him to become a Lobo.

http://pickandroll.com.au/calipari-self-humphries/

RedbackVenom
01-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Some more information on some of the best Aussie prospects including Isaac Humphries.

http://pickandroll.com.au/aussies-espn-rankings-simmons-humphries/

EDA
01-21-2015, 03:03 PM
When do Aussies commit ... or ... sign ... or ... ???

Are the rules the same as for US high school recruits?

COLOLOBO
01-21-2015, 03:04 PM
Mark you might want to insure that Coach has this information. I sure he probably does but would not hurt to make sure.

RedbackVenom
01-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Same rules and recruiting windows apply to internationals AFAIK.

dbkirkp
01-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Thank you so much for the updates. Humphries might be my most desired recruit ever. He is a perfect fit for us!

RedbackVenom
01-27-2015, 04:22 AM
Latest on Isaac Humphries:

http://pickandroll.com.au/rising-stars-humphries-simmons-jan/