PDA

View Full Version : Ayo and Simi cut their lists ......

BrutusXXX
09-27-2017, 04:19 PM
I would assume that both Ayo and Simi have cut their lists down after what has transpired the last couple of days. Let's see, we were in Ayo's top seven before USC and OSU were implicated. Simi had us in his top ten before Arizona was. Does this mean the Lobos move up their lists? Will the Lobos possibly get Simi to visit Albuquerque instead of Arizona?

Another thing to consider.....

With the FBI now involved, any school that has offered these players bribes to play at their schools will now be withdrawing those bribes. Players that were offered bribes will be concerned that in accepting a scholarship from a school that had previously bribed them they will open themselves up to investigation as well. How many will reopen their recruitment and attempt to return those bribes? Whether they accepted the bribe or not, they will be concerned. Every BB Program in the country will try to give off the illusion that they are beyond offering an athlete improper inducements.

NIKE is now under the FBI spotlight. What schools will be named before the day is done? Will Ayo and Simi whittle their lists further as the sun goes down on this day? Could it be the Lobos will rise on those lists? I did fail to mention, the Lobos are a NIKE' school too! Let's hope for the best as all of college BB and it's fans wait for that next shoe to drop.

Riches6
09-27-2017, 04:24 PM
I have been thinking about the recruiting implications as well. Another issue for recruits is if they want to remain committed to a school (like Louisville or UA) that looks like they will be on probation/death penalty, etc. You may start to see a lot of even legitimate recruits change their minds.

txlobo95
09-29-2017, 02:12 AM
Ayo currently on a recruiting visit this weekend to Wake Forest. Does he have his 5 visits set-up yet? Perhaps, he does drop USC and OSU due to their implications in the scandal. That only leaves 5 schools including us and each recruit is alloted 5 "official" visits. I hope we get one of those and get him into the facilities. If that happens and Conditt commits on Monday, along with the big fish transfers we already have, we could have a really, really, really good team put together for 2018/19 & 2019/20. :bigeyes::tongue-tied::shocked1:

Ayo also has an "official" visit set-up with IL on 10/13. That's 3 of his officials either taken or set-up.

Actually, he's already taken his official visit to USC, the weekend of Sept 16th, before the scandal hit. May still be fighting an uphill battle to get that final and fifth visit. The other schools we are battling for the final two visits are Kansas, Xavier and OK St. (still in the hunt?) If OK St. is out, then its 3 schools for 2 "official" visits.

Would a Conditt commit get us an official visit and put us in more serious running for Ayo?

jomera
10-01-2017, 01:00 AM
New to this but here goes nothing. Ayo and Simi are big recruits both 5 star prospects. I think Tyger Cambell is a more realistic possibility but if we can get a visit with Simi or Ayo that's huge for UNM basketball.

primordial
10-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Sure, that might be the case but the fact that UNM is in the game at this stage of the recruiting process is nothing to sneeze at... There are a couple hundred other D-1 programs that aren't!

txlobo95
10-01-2017, 02:57 PM
Sure, that might be the case but the fact that UNM is in the game at this stage of the recruiting process is nothing to sneeze at... There are a couple hundred other D-1 programs that aren't!

if you don't finish first, then you're last. If we finish 2nd, then it doesn't really matter, unless another recruit takes notice and we land him as a result. Otherwise, we need to close the deal on at least 1 out of 5 or better of these recruits we are going after.

You're right, the first step has been accomplished, getting into their top 5/7/9. Next step however, like we had this weekend with Conditt, is getting the recruit out for a weekend visit.

Once we start getting these high level recruits out for official visits, then our closing rate with these recruits will greatly increase. That's step 2.

I really hope Conditt will be the first big recruit for 2018 to commit and be one of the key building blocks of Weir's new program. If Conditt comes to UNM, then it could sway some other top level recruits to sign to play alongside him.

With both Jackson and Lyle already in the fold, hopefully, Conditt and others will see that and realize we are building the program back up to where it was under Alford, being a consistent NCAA program and Top 25 program and a program that will be other Top 25 teams on the road.

The one step Alford was not able to take was getting us to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA's. Hopefully, Weir will be able to do that "multiple" times.

I'm not going to lie, I'm super impressed with Weir's ability to recruit so far and with the style he wants to play, who wouldn't want to play for him? It will be the best tempo to prepare players for the next level.

jomera
10-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Agreed about the tempo. I really feel we need to go all out on Ayo. Simi is a longshot because it would be a huge risk going to UNM. If he struggles here he will be out of the first round. If he dominates will he be a top 10 pick? Ayo could be great and be perfect foundation alongside George Conditt.

UNMerciful_1
10-01-2017, 06:46 PM
if you don't finish first, then you're last. If we finish 2nd, then it doesn't really matter, unless another recruit takes notice and we land him as a result. Otherwise, we need to close the deal on at least 1 out of 5 or better of these recruits we are going after.

You're right, the first step has been accomplished, getting into their top 5/7/9. Next step however, like we had this weekend with Conditt, is getting the recruit out for a weekend visit.

Once we start getting these high level recruits out for official visits, then our closing rate with these recruits will greatly increase. That's step 2.

I really hope Conditt will be the first big recruit for 2018 to commit and be one of the key building blocks of Weir's new program. If Conditt comes to UNM, then it could sway some other top level recruits to sign to play alongside him.

With both Jackson and Lyle already in the fold, hopefully, Conditt and others will see that and realize we are building the program back up to where it was under Alford, being a consistent NCAA program and Top 25 program and a program that will be other Top 25 teams on the road.

The one step Alford was not able to take was getting us to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA's. Hopefully, Weir will be able to do that "multiple" times.

I'm not going to lie, I'm super impressed with Weir's ability to recruit so far and with the style he wants to play, who wouldn't want to play for him? It will be the best tempo to prepare players for the next level.
Finishing 2nd could be a good thing if the player ends up transferring which more and more players are doing these days. We didn't get CMac the first time around, but apparently made a good enough impression that he chose us when he transferred.

txlobo95
10-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Finishing 2nd could be a good thing if the player ends up transferring which more and more players are doing these days. We didn't get CMac the first time around, but apparently made a good enough impression that he chose us when he transferred.

You might be right, like it was with Ruben Douglas. Speaking of which, I was wondering how the Mitch Lightfoot to Kansas is working out for him. I noticed he only played on average 4 minutes per game his frosh season. Self basically mentioned, because they had Josh Jackson, they couldn't take him off the court unless he was in foul trouble or injury. Funny part is, there is always going to be a Josh Jackson type at Kansas, so not sure what the future holds for Mitch there, other than being a 4 year career back-up plan??? This year they have #11 ranked 6'10" Billy Preston who is supposed to be a one and done type.

It's a shame too, because we really needed some quality size to go next to Tim Williams and could have been here another 3 years. I do wonder, if maybe he considers transferring here after his soph season if his playing time continues to be low? Even though he wouldn't be eligible to be on the court, he could be here for Dane's Sr year????

Not sure if our current coaching staff is aware of his recruiting history here? Would be a nice pick-up if it happens down the road.

jomera
10-01-2017, 10:14 PM
You think Mitch might transfer? If he does UNM could use him sorta like how Gonzaga got Kyle Wiltjer.

txlobo95
10-01-2017, 10:22 PM
You think Mitch might transfer? If he does UNM could use him sorta like how Gonzaga got Kyle Wiltjer.

I'm only bringing it up "IF" he wants to be a full-time starter. I don't think he ever will at Kansas, because they keep recruiting top 20 frosh at his position and one and done's won't sign unless they know they will be the clear leader to be the starter. If I remember correctly, Mitch was a 100-150 rated player out of HS, so although he's good and has potential, he won't displace a top 20 one and done type kid.

writejav
10-03-2017, 08:15 AM
Perhaps it's me just wanting to move on, but I'd prefer that Mitch not transfer to NM. I don't hold a grudge and only wish him the best, but I think it's best that we remain with ways parted.

Think of it this way. At one point in the past, this kid had already committed to our Lobos and our fan base had likewise committed to him. Then he started getting more attention, higher profile schools with bigger name coaches got his ear, and he ultimately decided to bolt for what he perceived to be greener pastures. And to be clear, the Kansas basketball program is a greener pasture than that of our beloved Lobos. Maybe not for individual players, but in it's entirety it certainly is. I don't blame him for the choice and hopefully the joy of donning a Jayhawk jersey fulfills a lifelong dream for him. But it doesn't mean we have pine away, hoping that he'll return either.

Imagine this was like your fiancee who broke off your engagement because they'd found someone they thought was better. Would you still carry a torch in your heart and welcome them back with open arms? Break-ups are hard, but they also nearly always happen for a reason.