Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,717 Times in 2,458 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 245 Times in 104 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffinthe505 View Post
    He has earned his fair share of justifiable criticism but it's really time to back off.

In regards to the ski team and those ho bashed Krebs, here's some quotes from the recent BOR mtg and the acting UNM Pres. himself.

"Krebs, who on April 24 awarded the ski team the Athletic Director’s Cup for having the highest team grade-point average (3.86 combined) in the UNM athletics department, told the Journal he is very happy that the team was reinstated and
    he never wanted to cut it in the first place."

“With respect to skiing, Mr. Krebs has received relentless, and in my opinion, undeserved criticism for this decision, even though he was following my directions,” Abdallah said. “This is unfortunate.”

And this...

"The University of New Mexico and New Mexico State University each showed marked improvement in the APR data released by the NCAA for the 2015-16 academic year — continuing a trend for each. None of either school’s athletic programs incurred a penalty for failure to meet minimum standards. The schools had a combined 14 programs score a perfect 1,000 for ’15-16."

People have every right to criticize Krebs if they wish. He is the highest paid AD in the MWC and he has made some mistakes with some of the prominant programs at UNM. If you want to praise him you also have every right to do that, but I don't think you can tell anyone not to criticize him.

Just because you think he is great does not mean that everyone else has to feel the same way. For my two cents I think he has done an OK job but not a great job.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Hoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 528 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 174 Times in 64 Posts
    There seems to be a lot more threads about people bitching about people criticizing Krebs than actual people criticizing Krebs. Why does it have to be black and white? Krebs is sort of a swing for the fences power hitter. He either hits home runs or he strikes out. Not a lot of singles and doubles.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDamnFans For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Oregon Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,537 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDamnFans View Post
    There seems to be a lot more threads about people bitching about people criticizing Krebs than actual people criticizing Krebs. Why does it have to be black and white? Krebs is sort of a swing for the fences power hitter. He either hits home runs or he strikes out. Not a lot of singles and doubles.
    That sounds accurate--and he has a better batting average than most people give him credit for. But he has had some bad at bats.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oregon Lobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Jeffinthe505's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 2,868 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 219 Times in 124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    People have every right to criticize Krebs if they wish. He is the highest paid AD in the MWC and he has made some mistakes with some of the prominant programs at UNM. If you want to praise him you also have every right to do that, but I don't think you can tell anyone not to criticize him.

Just because you think he is great does not mean that everyone else has to feel the same way. For my two cents I think he has done an OK job but not a great job.
    "He has earned his fair share of justifiable criticism..."

I started off the the post with that sentence. Also, I never said people should not to criticize him.
    However, he seems to be a target for some people who believe he is responsible for every, single, negative, thing that has ever happened w/UNM athletics.
    Most people don't know/understand the politics behind the scenes and/or the fact that most decisions are not just Krebs operating unilaterally.
    So, you want to criticize Krebs, be my guest. Just understand that there is usually more to the picture than most people understand...as is proof by the statement from the acting UNM Pres. in the OP.
    Last edited by Jeffinthe505; 1 Week Ago at 10:53 AM.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Jeffinthe505 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,717 Times in 2,458 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 245 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffinthe505 View Post
    "He has earned his fair share of justifiable criticism..."

I started off the the post with that sentence. Also, I never said people should not to criticize him.
    However, he seems to be a target for some people who believe he is responsible for every, single, negative, thing that has ever happened w/UNM athletics.
    Most people don't know/understand the politics behind the scenes and/or the fact that most decisions are not just Krebs operating unilaterally.
    So, you want to criticize Krebs, be my guest. Just understand that there is usually more to the picture than most people understand...as is proof by the statement from the acting UNM Pres. in the OP.
    Truthfully speaking does the average person know what Krebs has to deal with as AD? I would suspect not, but one thing that is looked at is results. And that is why he gets paid the 6 figure salary that he gets. The bottom line is that if programs are not successful he is the guy that gets looked at for the lack of success. That is the way the ball bounces in his profession. Sometimes it bounces in his favor and some times it does not.
    Last edited by Hoser; 1 Week Ago at 06:23 PM.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 658 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 168 Times in 69 Posts

Krebs tarnishes Lobo brand again with his lying and cheating

More coming out on the previous story.

http://krqe.com/2017/05/22/scotland-...s-a-bombshell/

Thats about what, strike 5 of lying, cheating, and lack of integrity on Paul Krebs that TARNISHES the LOBO BRAND!!!

People, this long history by Krebs of lying, and disregarding rules is one big reason why the casual fans the Lobos must have, don't have strong incentive to go out of their way to go buy tickets and support the program. Please quit complaining about low ticket sales and lack of interest if this is the garbage you expect New Mexicans to swallow.

Its time for people who run the propaganda for just anyone wearing a Lobo logo'd shirt to pull their heads out of their rear ends about what does hurt ticket sales and overall interest and support in Lobo athletics. It's time to quit backing lying, cheating, and incompetence and shoving it down peoples throats, and time to start supporting, less lying, less cheating, more competence, more going by the rules, more actual finance accounting by the rules......etc ...etc ..

And, imagine what all we probably don't know about....scary thought.

Last edited by Clubmaker; 3 Days Ago at 08:08 AM.

12. The Following 12 Users Have Groaned Clubmaker For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 316 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 21 Times in 12 Posts
    Dang, they could've at least invited Larry Chavez for the free golf trip! It makes you wonder if Mr. Chavez was the anonymous donor or who was? I think it was good that Krebs and the president at least talked about this issue and took accountability. In the end it was good that it was all paid back. I'm not justifying anything that happened at all either, but it's nice when someone fesses up to their mistakes.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to Lobojumpman For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you mdanger007's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,816 Times in 1,842 Posts
    My Mood
    Daring
    Groan
    Groaned 442 Times in 130 Posts
    More muck raked by NMFishbowl.com

Safe bet Krebs is gone when UNM hires a new president.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to mdanger007 For This Useful Post:

17. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned mdanger007 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 82 Times in 8 Posts
    Krebs has always been a douche bag, this comes as no surpise.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to RR Lobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,546 Times in 2,368 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,034 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdanger007 View Post
    More muck raked by NMFishbowl.com

Safe bet Krebs is gone when UNM hires a new president.
    We'll see.

What I'd like to see is that he's around long enough for Bob Davie to have a couple of good FB years, and then become the new AD. Don't know if it would be allowed to play out that way, however.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you mdanger007's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,816 Times in 1,842 Posts
    My Mood
    Daring
    Groan
    Groaned 442 Times in 130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_for_life View Post
    We'll see.

What I'd like to see is that he's around long enough for Bob Davie to have a couple of good FB years, and then become the new AD. Don't know if it would be allowed to play out that way, however.
    Davie would make a good AD.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to mdanger007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 332 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 58 Times in 19 Posts
    The deceitfulness is bad (really bad), but this is how it is in major college athletics and business in general. If you want to have business owners give you tens of thousands of dollars over many years you have to give them this type of access and have these types of events (and even pay for them to go sometimes).

Krebs has also been really successful with private donations, you have to keep that in mind. (Cue the we had a 1 million dollar deficit over the past year comments. That's true, but we also had over 40 mil. in revenue last year with relatively low contributions from the state.)

That said, again, the lying is really bad and it will probably cost Krebs his job (or force him into slightly early retirement).

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to loboball30 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,546 Times in 2,368 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,034 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdanger007 View Post
    Davie would make a good AD.
    With his "people" skills and contacts I think he'd be a grand slam.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,023 Times in 568 Posts
    First of all I did not know that Dr. Phil was working for the news channels in NM. I see the shadiness in this however, never a mention of if this trip resulted in any donations? I understand the wrong way that it was went about however, would the public or anyone be upset if a trip like this brought in 250,000 to the athletic program? I think this type of stuff goes on all over the country.

27. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to NMFANINOKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 5 Posts
    This whole situation has been a cluster F___ from the beginning. If it had been done thru the Foundation as it should have there would not have been these issues. The manner in which this trip was done not only looks bad, smells bad, but paying for private people to go is against state law. Yes, these trips and doner perks happen all the time and are normal... when done properly. I for one would like to know WHY in wasnt done through the Foundation.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to RedLobo007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,363 Times in 3,395 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 67 Times in 53 Posts
    The OP makes it look like the text included is pulled from the KRQE piece, but it's not. This is misleading. Ironic to use a misleading hook to introduce an article about the AD being misleading. I don't see how this contributes to lower ticket sales in any way. Wins put people in the seats, at least in The Pit.

There is a sketchy side to it, but it's also good to things have on the table finally. I agree with OKC that these things do likely happen often. Yet there absolutely has to be transparency these things or reputations do get tarnished. New Mexico and UNM already get a bad rap at times and these kind of things don't help.

I would be curious to know if/what the resulting benefit was from this trip as far as dollars generated for UNM Athletics. The facts on that would not excuse Krebs being misleading, but are also relevant to the big picture of the whole story.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Business done this way everywhere but like everything else the perception of cover up is bad. Old interview talking about athletics

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Gonzlobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,563 Times in 3,659 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 1,115 Times in 380 Posts
    Ah, but he 'doesn't operate in a bubble'. #excuses
    $golly

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 28 Times in 12 Posts
    All this crying about Krebs is getting a bit annoying. We have no idea what was given the ok or disclosed with President Frank at the time. Everyone is acting like an Interim President is going to know everything that went on when he is just an interim. Looking back at the success of past UNM Ads and all what is seen is mostly a lack of success across the board, Krebs has brought much more success to the Athletic Department than all other Ads combined during his time. Losing Krebs would be a huge blow to UNM especially during at a make it or break it time with the direction of power conferences and college athletics.

It would also be helpful if these so called journalist hacks gave people a complete story allowing people to make an unbiased assessment on how things are done in college athletics. The public wouldn’t be forced to try and assess this situation solely through the biased click bait narrative if the media involved did some real work like disclosing fundraising activities/costs of other MWC schools and even a few power conference schools.

35. The Following User has Groanedunm04 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 3 Times in 1 Post
    OKAY, Who's you next victim?? I think with your selection of "Propagandists" we'd
    be a bottom 300 team in all phases. Lighten up Dude.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Carrol For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 3 Times in 1 Post
    OKAY, Who's you next victim?? I think with your selection of "Propagandists" we'd
    be a bottom 300 team in all phases. Lighten up Dude.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by unm04 View Post
    All this crying about Krebs is getting a bit annoying. We have no idea what was given the ok or disclosed with President Frank at the time. Everyone is acting like an Interim President is going to know everything that went on when he is just an interim. Looking back at the success of past UNM Ads and all what is seen is mostly a lack of success across the board, Krebs has brought much more success to the Athletic Department than all other Ads combined during his time. Losing Krebs would be a huge blow to UNM especially during at a make it or break it time with the direction of power conferences and college athletics.

It would also be helpful if these so called journalist hacks gave people a complete story allowing people to make an unbiased assessment on how things are done in college athletics. The public wouldn’t be forced to try and assess this situation solely through the biased click bait narrative if the media involved did some real work like disclosing fundraising activities/costs of other MWC schools and even a few power conference schools.
    This is a relevant story, just like Krebs' successes are relevant. I do agree that the witch-hunt mentality being fostered by some toward Krebs gets over done sometimes, but I definitely don't agree that Barker is a journalist hack. He's been around a long time and has done some pretty good investigative journalism through the years.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 658 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 168 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    The OP makes it look like the text included is pulled from the KRQE piece, but it's not. This is misleading. Ironic to use a misleading hook to introduce an article about the AD being misleading. I don't see how this contributes to lower ticket sales in any way. Wins put people in the seats, at least in The Pit.

There is a sketchy side to it, but it's also good to things have on the table finally. I agree with OKC that these things do likely happen often. Yet there absolutely has to be transparency these things or reputations do get tarnished. New Mexico and UNM already get a bad rap at times and these kind of things don't help.

I would be curious to know if/what the resulting benefit was from this trip as far as dollars generated for UNM Athletics. The facts on that would not excuse Krebs being misleading, but are also relevant to the big picture of the whole story.
    its simply copied from my posting my own same comments prior on another forum. No misleading intended and it sure doesn't read like a press article. Sorry the fonts are different. I am about the absolute most honest poster on this board.

Again, more tarnish that certainly cannot raise ticket sales. And why on earth is something so basic to rules, done so wrong and hidden with the mislabeling. You either need a more honest AD, or if you claim all AD's do it, one who skirts the edges but is smart enough to know how to do it and not get caught. Krebs is neither. This absolutely does not make the program sound respectable. How does this garbage make average New Mexicans feel good about lobo athletics?

You guys are almost a joke talking about doing what everyone does out of one side of your mouth, and talking about absolutely having transparency out of the other....isn't that likely 100 percent incompatible. Thats exactly what today shows. You either need a more honest AD , or since the game is played with breaking the rules you all claim, one who is better at cheating and telling more believable lies and not getting caught. Krebs is neither.

Its interesting that pointing out what likely hurts ticket sales, is not pleasing to many New Mexicans , did you listen to 610 this am, is basically labeled as "witch hunting" and not someone actually trying to point out what is good for the programs, good for sales, good for revenue etc...

I was a bad fan when i said locksley was an immature person and a high risk employee that needed to go. I was a bad fan when I argued Neal likely could not afford to not be fired due to likely revenue decline, and still a bad fan now...lol.
    Last edited by Clubmaker; 3 Days Ago at 10:08 AM.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Clubmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 28 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    This is a relevant story, just like Krebs' successes are relevant. I do agree that the witch-hunt mentality being fostered by some toward Krebs gets over done sometimes, but I definitely don't agree that Barker is a journalist hack. He's been around a long time and has done some pretty good investigative journalism through the years.
    We have a difference of opinion in our views on Barker, I know he has been around awhile but the majority of his "investigative" journalism involves sensationalizing stories to get viewers.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmaker View Post
    its simply copied from my posting my own same comments prior on another forum. No misleading intended and it sure doesn't read like a press article. Sorry the fonts are different. I am about the absolute most honest poster on this board.

Again, more tarnish that certainly cannot raise ticket sales. And why on earth is something so basic to rules, done so wrong and hidden with the mislabeling. You either need a more honest AD, or if you claim all AD's do it, one who skirts the edges but is smart enough to know how to do it and not get caught. Krebs is neither. This absolutely does not make the program sound respectable. How does this garbage make average New Mexicans feel good about lobo athletics?

You guys are almost a joke talking about doing what everyone does out of one side of your mouth, and talking about absolutely having transparency out of the other....isn't that likely 100 percent incompatible. Thats exactly what today shows. You either need a more honest AD , or since the game is played with breaking the rules you all claim, one who is better at cheating and telling more believable lies and not getting caught. Krebs is neither.
    I took the different font to mean the text was pulled from the article and made an assumption based on that. My bad. I get what you're saying about talking about both sides of one's mouth. The intention is to say that these types of trips to schmooze donors do happen at many universities, but when they do happen they need to be handled with transparency.

Who knows what the long term effects of this will be and this stain on Krebs' reputation could certainly lead folks to consider what other types of things might have happened yet gone un-noticed.

edit* I never said you were a bad fan. I don't always agree with you but you obviously want the best for UNM.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 419 Times in 79 Posts
    Would love to hear from the Krebs apologists about now. I'm sure they have good excuses and will blame it on the fans

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to TheGrey For This Useful Post:

48. The Following User has GroanedTheGrey For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,875 Times in 3,808 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 373 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loboball30 View Post
    The deceitfulness is bad (really bad), but this is how it is in major college athletics and business in general. If you want to have business owners give you tens of thousands of dollars over many years you have to give them this type of access and have these types of events (and even pay for them to go sometimes).

Krebs has also been really successful with private donations, you have to keep that in mind. (Cue the we had a 1 million dollar deficit over the past year comments. That's true, but we also had over 40 mil. in revenue last year with relatively low contributions from the state.)

That said, again, the lying is really bad and it will probably cost Krebs his job (or force him into slightly early retirement).
    May be "the way it is" in private business and even in "big time college athletics" but NOT with public money & especially not paying the way for private persons in direct violation of the "anti-donation" clause of our state constitution. If it would have gone through the UNM Foundation and IT (not the athletic department) used money given to it by private persons/entities, then OK but NOT public money. This can be the type of thing that not only gives a black eye but if pursued, could lead to a criminal investigation and wherever that takes them. While I believe that Krebs and his staff have done some great things (as well as some mistakes,which is the norm), he seems to always rather hope a problem is not discovered and if it is, see if its possible to bury it - once again, a public figure has not learned the lesson that the cover-up is almost always worse than the incident itself. Waiting until the anomalous don nor has "paid back" the illegally spent money just smacks of cover-up - same as Locksley and all the off the field stuff, the misspent money by the basketball opps guy and the original golf trip itself. If he would just put his ego aside and admit a mistake as soon as it is discovered by him (not the press or anyone on the outside) and then take corrective action so that it is not repeated, he might be able to save himself and the department - most of the public can forgive errors (even fairly egregious ones) but the public has proven, it cannot abide a cover-up and being lied to.

Please do not talk about how the trip raised money (not actually established but actually irrelevant in any event) - the ends cannot and do not justify the means - especially when it is criminal or otherwise breaks the law.
    Last edited by Doublealum; 3 Days Ago at 10:39 AM.

50. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I understand how this happened and should never have. Larry always flames the point that he wants but in fairness does not give the other side the full story. Krebs during the interview presented Larry numbers on what was raised. I know this for a fact. Larry ignores this piece. It does not justify what he did but at least shows what did happen. The disturbing part of this entire fiasco is Larry could have dug way deeper and did not.

52. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Inside_Scoop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 17 Times in 6 Posts
    Really!?!?!!? Who cares, is $26k and a golf trip, you guys have nothing else to worry about!

Anyone else not care about this story?!??!?!

54. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to SocorroLobo For This Useful Post:

55. The Following 6 Users Have Groaned SocorroLobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,875 Times in 3,808 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 373 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedLobo007 View Post
    This whole situation has been a cluster F___ from the beginning. If it had been done thru the Foundation as it should have there would not have been these issues. The manner in which this trip was done not only looks bad, smells bad, but paying for private people to go is against state law. Yes, these trips and doner perks happen all the time and are normal... when done properly. I for one would like to know WHY in wasnt done through the Foundation.
    Agree 100% - just a guess but perhaps because if it went through the Foundation, a professional fundraiser would have analyzed the proposal and weighed the risk of the money spent vs. the potential for sucess in raining more money and there may have been a fear that it would not have been approved.

Thread Information