Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,554 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 43 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Michigan voters need to toss out the trash...

----

"How Corruption Deepened Detroit's Crisis"
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...risis/2929137/
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King Jr.

Thanks
    Groan
    oDo you think that voters in major cities such as Detroit and Baltimore share some responsibility for their current plight? After all, for decades they have chosen to elect corrupt politicians whose primary focus was on lining their pockets and seemingly could not care less about their police departments. So, it seems to me, the best way to bring about true reform of the police departments (community policing, better training, mandatory lapel cameras, 2-patrolmen per car, etc.), would be for voters to toss out the trash. How can that be accomplished? Perhaps an organized movement respected within the AA community such as BLM could be persuaded to pursue the cause of electing law and order candidates. Especially since all Black Lives Matter...
    Last edited by elmassuave; 08-11-2016 at 07:42 PM. Reason: wording
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King Jr.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UWSLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,411 Times in 2,515 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 602 Times in 204 Posts
    Bill Gates famously said, “If you are born poor it is not your mistake. If you die poor, then that is your mistake”. You don’t get to choose how you were born or how wealthy your family and friends are. What you DO get to choose is how you react to the situation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to UWSLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,466 Times in 2,800 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 224 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UWSLobo View Post
    Bill Gates famously said, “If you are born poor it is not your mistake. If you die poor, then that is your mistake”. You don’t get to choose how you were born or how wealthy your family and friends are. What you DO get to choose is how you react to the situation.

All true, but it's also true that doors open easier and faster if you're white than if you're black. Also true is that kids don't have a choice. A child that's born poor doesn't have the ability to affect anything. When that child becomes 18, and assume control of his or her life, he or she often lacks the capacity to change their circumstances because of the substandard education they received as a child. That's why changes need to be made in education.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    From my own childhood, I understand the challenges of being born poor. However, I do not understand the out-of-wedlock childbirths by blacks and the impact that has when young black children grow up without a father. Sadly, based upon the stats by Larry Wilmore, this appears to be a growing problem..

On the Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore, four black notable African-Americans talked about the skyrocketing rate of black children born out of wedlock, and in one revealing segment, they interviewed people on the streets of Chicago about it.

What’s surprising is that it’s the show hosts who act shocked, as if they’d never heard of it before.

Of all 2012 births were out-of-wedlock, there are vast differences among racial and ethnic groups with non-Hispanic blacks, the figure is highest, at 72.2 percent. And, as Larry Wilmore says later on, this is a massive increase from 1965 when black out of wedlock births were just at 24%.

Source: http://therightscoop.com/watch-black...ut-of-wedlock/

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by elmassuave View Post
    From my own childhood, I understand the challenges of being born poor. However, I do not understand the out-of-wedlock childbirths by blacks and the impact that has when young black children grow up without a father. Sadly, based upon the stats by Larry Wilmore, this appears to be a growing problem..

On the Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore, four black notable African-Americans talked about the skyrocketing rate of black children born out of wedlock, and in one revealing segment, they interviewed people on the streets of Chicago about it.

What’s surprising is that it’s the show hosts who act shocked, as if they’d never heard of it before.

Of all 2012 births were out-of-wedlock, there are vast differences among racial and ethnic groups with non-Hispanic blacks, the figure is highest, at 72.2 percent. And, as Larry Wilmore says later on, this is a massive increase from 1965 when black out of wedlock births were just at 24%.

Source: http://therightscoop.com/watch-black...ut-of-wedlock/
    It appears to be directly related to the poverty level. The poorer one is the more likely they are to have children out of wedlock. I'm not sure why that is, but it's pretty consistent across every race.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Anyone ever hear of the "Dalton Raid" that occurred on South Central LA back in 1988. Perhaps not. Well, some believe it was the precursor to Rodney King and should have been an indication that the LAPD was out of control.

"On Aug. 1, 1988, scores of Los Angeles police officers descended on two apartment buildings on the corner of 39th Street and Dalton Avenue in southwest Los Angeles. It was an all-out search for drugs and a massive show of force designed to deliver a strong message to the gangs...Dozens of residents from the apartments and surrounding neighborhood were rounded up. Many were humiliated or beaten, but none was charged with a crime. "

"The police smashed furniture, punched holes in walls, destroyed family photos, ripped down cabinet doors, slashed sofas, shattered mirrors, hammered toilets to porcelain shards, doused clothing with bleach and emptied refrigerators. Some officers left their own graffiti: "LAPD Rules." "Rollin' 30s Die."

"The raid at 39th and Dalton came amid rising public clamor for a crackdown on gangs. Gang warfare had spread to Westwood Village in January 1988, when Karen Toshima, an innocent bystander, was caught in a cross-fire and killed. Crack cocaine, dominated by street gangs, was an epidemic...Gangs and drugs had swamped the working-class neighborhood near 39th and Dalton, a few miles west of the Memorial Coliseum."

"Southwest Capt. Thomas Elfmont, just five months on the job, encouraged his officers to take back the block. Some of his officers recall Elfmont's telling them before the raid to render the buildings 'uninhabitable.' He denies ever saying that."

"One of the most eager participants was Officer Todd Parrick, the son of an LAPD officer and the great-grandson of a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy. An ex-Navy SEAL, he had joined the department in 1987--a time when Gates was comparing violence on the streets of Los Angeles with the turmoil in Beirut.

"I wanted to be a police officer just about all my life," said Parrick, who now lives in Mesa, Ariz. "I grew up with them. My dad's partners were always around the house. They were men of integrity, my role models. Parrick, then 25, stood 6 feet 5. Once inside the Dalton units, he grabbed an ax and wielded it with such force--smashing furniture and walls--that fellow officers feared he would harm himself or someone else."

" 'I probably got a little out of control,' Parrick now says."

In 1990, the City of Los Angeles negotiated an out of court settlement of $3 million that was split equally among the 55 plaintiffs named in the civil rights lawsuit against the LAPD.

EDIT: the LAPD conducted an investigation and determined that 38 officers broke departmental rules, 22 of whom were suspended without pay for 22 days. Two other officers resigned.
    Last edited by UWSLobo; 08-16-2016 at 07:41 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to UWSLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,229 Times in 763 Posts
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Groan
    Groaned 76 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMerciful_1 View Post
    When that child becomes 18, and assume control of his or her life, he or she often lacks the capacity to change their circumstances because of the substandard education they received as a child. That's why changes need to be made in education.
    I agree with the rest of the post but I disagree majorly with the quoted part, anyone that is highly driven and doesn't quit can reach success maybe not in there dream field but in general. I pose this question to you though who has more privileged life a black kid brought up by millionaire family or a mid to poor white kid?
    "The secret is to have eight great players and four others who will cheer like crazy." --Jerry Tarkanian

Thanks
    Groan
    Based on the title, I initially thought the author was joking.

8 Examples of "Black Privilege"
    http://www.africanamerica.org/topic/...lack-privilege

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by toddl18 View Post
    I agree with the rest of the post but I disagree majorly with the quoted part, anyone that is highly driven and doesn't quit can reach success maybe not in there dream field but in general. I pose this question to you though who has more privileged life a black kid brought up by millionaire family or a mid to poor white kid?
    I think it's difficult for any of us to truly put ourselves in someone else's shoes. We talk about how you can succeed if you're driven. How we believe that we would succeed if we were in those circumstances. The problem is that we're attacking that question with the current knowledge that we have. With the education we were blessed to have received. But imagine that your father had always been in jail, and you didn't know him. Imagine that your mother was addicted to drugs and pretty much absent. Imagine that the only real role models you had were gang members. If you just look at it through your eyes, it may not seem so difficult, but if you look at it through that other prism, you may finally understand the feelings of hopelessness that overtake so many.

In regards to your last question, money always talks. I do think a poor white kid has a better chance of improving his life that a poor black kid, but a rich black kid obviously has an advantage over any poor kid regardless of race.

Thanks
    Groan
    In a lot of these discussions, we assume that people have the capacity to be successful, without knowing whether that is true. We assume that with some basic nurturing from home, anyone can be successful, and even without basic nurturing, if one has the desire, one can rise up from poverty and make something of himself. But we forget that some simply do not have the capacity that others have, and even with proper schooling, they have a marginal chance at making it. How many of these marginal people find themselves in trouble and do not have the capacity to get out of trouble? How many are in prison, victims of society?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to UWSLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,229 Times in 763 Posts
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Groan
    Groaned 76 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMerciful_1 View Post
    I think it's difficult for any of us to truly put ourselves in someone else's shoes. We talk about how you can succeed if you're driven. How we believe that we would succeed if we were in those circumstances. The problem is that we're attacking that question with the current knowledge that we have. With the education we were blessed to have received. But imagine that your father had always been in jail, and you didn't know him. Imagine that your mother was addicted to drugs and pretty much absent. Imagine that the only real role models you had were gang members. If you just look at it through your eyes, it may not seem so difficult, but if you look at it through that other prism, you may finally understand the feelings of hopelessness that overtake so many.

In regards to your last question, money always talks. I do think a poor white kid has a better chance of improving his life that a poor black kid, but a rich black kid obviously has an advantage over any poor kid regardless of race.
    That was exactly the point I was trying to make though was that everyone situation is different and while race does play a role that it isn't insurmountable odds levied against anyone. A kid that has 2 parents is going to generally be better then a kid who grew up under a single parent. A kid that is born into a family where 1 or more of the members went to college is going to have a higher possibility of attending college. Same with the negatives like you mention or abuse they all play a much more pivotal role in development then the color of ones skin.
    "The secret is to have eight great players and four others who will cheer like crazy." --Jerry Tarkanian

19. The Following User Says Thank You to toddl18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    ‘Black Olives Matter’

By Ellen Marks / Assistant Business Editor

Friday, August 19th, 2016 at 3:51pm

The following are selected passages from the Albuquerque Journal article:

An Albuquerque restaurant owner’s “Black Olives Matter” slogan has drawn attention worldwide for its take-off on the “Black Lives Matter” organization.

Rick Camuglia of Paisano’s Italian Restaurant says the slogan, posted on a sign in front of his restaurant recently, “struck a nerve” and has drawn overwhelming support. He is now selling T-shirts and hats with the slogan, and they are so popular that he says he will have to hire an extra employee to keep up with demand.

http://www.abqjournal.com/829618/bla...=related+posts

Thanks
    Groan
    ‘Black Olives Matter’

By Ellen Marks / Assistant Business Editor

Friday, August 19th, 2016 at 3:51pm

The following are selected passages from the Albuquerque Journal article:

An Albuquerque restaurant owner’s “Black Olives Matter” slogan has drawn attention worldwide for its take-off on the “Black Lives Matter” organization.

Rick Camuglia of Paisano’s Italian Restaurant says the slogan, posted on a sign in front of his restaurant recently, “struck a nerve” and has drawn overwhelming support. He is now selling T-shirts and hats with the slogan, and they are so popular that he says he will have to hire an extra employee to keep up with demand.

http://www.abqjournal.com/829618/bla...=related+posts
    This is sick. Even if you disagree with BLMs tactics, it's a group that only exists to call attention to people who have been unjustly killed. And this guy is profiting on it! I will never eat there.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Chicago Tribune: "Chicago gangs no longer know or fear the police, and bodies pile up"
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...30-column.html

Thanks
    Groan
    Black Dallas Police Officer Sues Black Lives Matter and Soros for Inciting Race War
    http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/...ting-race-war/

Thanks
    Groan
    Black Lives Matter Leader Robbed by Black Mugger, Calls for More Police Officers
    http://www.wnd.com/2016/09/blm-leade...for-more-cops/

Thanks
    Thanked 8,514 Times in 2,731 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Haven't kept up with this thread, but from Clemson's coach, looks like it could work in this thread and the Kaeprnick as well.
    http://footballscoop.com/news/dabo-s...tional-anthem/

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ldlbfn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    "Unjustifiable shooting does not automatically equal racism"
    by Madison Gesiotto, 9/21/2016
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ng-does-not-a/

29. The Following User Says Thank You to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    I found the following article quite alarming...

"Two Years of a Staggering Surge in Murder"
    http://www.crimeandconsequences.com/...ring-surg.html

Thanks
    Groan
    I found the following article quite alarming...

"Two Years of a Staggering Surge in Murder"
    http://www.crimeandconsequences.com/...ring-surg.html
    I'm not sure why you posted this. This initial subject of this thread started some 19 pages ago was that I didn't know what to do in the event I'm pulled over by a police officer. I'm sure many other AAs feel the same. We constantly see our own being murdered by police, some following police direction, and some not, which doesn't necessarily mean they should be killed.

Violent crime is a horrible thing, and I do care about it. I also care about our country's dependence on foreign oil, veterans receiving proper medical care, and education being consistent across the board no matter if one lives in a rich or poor neighborhood. But none of these subjects has anything to do with the topic of this thread.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    I believe that crime data suggests that everyone, without regard to race, is much more likely to be a victim of a violent crime via a street criminal than a police officer during a traffic stop. I understand that we have both experienced questionable traffic stops. As I said previously, if it happens to me again I intend to report it to the proper officials and I strongly encourage others to do the same. Anyway, I intend to do my part to bring about change.

Personally, I will work on improving my own patience, tolerance and understanding. So, if you pray, please include me in your prayers.

"Grieving Man Pulled Over By Officer Who Drives Him 100 Miles to Attend Sister's Funeral"
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...sters-funeral/
    Last edited by elmassuave; 09-27-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: wording

34. The Following User Says Thank You to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Of course you're right. We are all more likely to be victims of violent crimes carried out by criminals more so than police officers. That doesn't mean we should ignore it when it's done by a police officer. A child is much more likely to be sexually assaulted by a violent criminal that by a priest, but we shouldn't ignore it when priests commit these crimes. I feel that's a strong analogy because just like bad priests have been protected by the church for decades the same is true of bad cops. They've been protected by other officers. I do feel this is starting to change, it's just happening at a slower pace than I would like.

There have been more police shootings that have occurred in the past 2 weeks. I've thought about posting them here, but I realize that this subject has been beat to death on this thread. The reality is they'll probably be another shooting or 2 next month to talk about.

I wish you you luck on your journey for increased patience and understanding. I am striving for those two things as well. Those are things everyone of us could stand to gain.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldlbfn View Post
    Haven't kept up with this thread, but from Clemson's coach, looks like it could work in this thread and the Kaeprnick as well to
    find free betting tips
    Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Thread Information