Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
CPK
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Quote Originally Posted by VWolf View Post
    Money would be the main reason, but Alford would tell the media he couldn't pass up a chance to coach his alma mater. Tom Crean was making 3.15 million while Alford makes 2.6 million. If IU can offer Alford 4 million per year, I bet he takes it.
    I would have to agree, end of the day the dollar carries leverage. If he had stayed at UNM I'm guessing he would have been Godlike by now and already traveled deep in the tourney, Gonzaga of the SW probably by now. Although he has never coached past the first weekend yet to my knowledge, he is still a pretty good coach and sought after.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to cbear5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,393 Times in 767 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 110 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbear5 View Post
    I would have to agree, end of the day the dollar carries leverage. If he had stayed at UNM I'm guessing he would have been Godlike by now and already traveled deep in the tourney, Gonzaga of the SW probably by now. Although he has never coached past the first weekend yet to my knowledge, he is still a pretty good coach and sought after.
    he did make 2 sweet 16's at ucla, and one at sw missouri st. (missouri st)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to red wolf rob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 23 Times in 15 Posts
    If Alford left to Indiana I would love it if CN followed him there. However, this is a pipe dream scenario. No way on earth does Neal leave UNM and walk away from $1 million.

Neal would never go from a head coach to top assistant who makes $500,000 at the absolute maximum. However, CN has to recognize that next year is going to be toxic and it will not end well for both parties.
    CRAZYLOBO12

Thanks
    Thanked 11,668 Times in 3,921 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 773 Times in 402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylobo12 View Post
    If Alford left to Indiana I would love it if CN followed him there. However, this is a pipe dream scenario. No way on earth does Neal leave UNM and walk away from $1 million.

Neal would never go from a head coach to top assistant who makes $500,000 at the absolute maximum. However, CN has to recognize that next year is going to be toxic and it will not end well for both parties.
    I wouldn't say never on that. Neal hates it at UNM, and he is bound to be fired eventually. Being fired will look worse on his resume than dropping down to AHC at a premier program like IU. Also, he just really doesn't have head coach skills and maybe even deep down he knows it. Even if it is just about money he could do the calculation of 15+ years at IU for 500k and raises, or one year at UNM and a buyout, and only low paying prospects after that. He will come out far ahead at IU.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by red wolf rob View Post
    he did make 2 sweet 16's at ucla, and one at sw missouri st. (missouri st)
    Yes your right apologies, I meant never past the sweet 16.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you pitwolf83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,799 Times in 1,892 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 167 Times in 85 Posts
    Yes your right apologies, I meant never past the sweet 16.
    Sounds kinda sad, but a sweet 16 is our holy grail. We'd love to get there one day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pitwolf83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 241 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 35 Times in 11 Posts
    I wouldn't say never on that. Neal hates it at UNM, and he is bound to be fired eventually. Being fired will look worse on his resume than dropping down to AHC at a premier program like IU. Also, he just really doesn't have head coach skills and maybe even deep down he knows it. Even if it is just about money he could do the calculation of 15+ years at IU for 500k and raises, or one year at UNM and a buyout, and only low paying prospects after that. He will come out far ahead at IU.
    He hates it UNM?? Huh?? Where do u get ur info from?? He seems to like it here in my opinion! He is making good money and putting out a subpar team!! He has a lot of talent, but seems to underperform! He will b our coach again next year for info! He isn't going no where bro! Quit hating and support the team!!!

Go Lobos!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Unmlobo2003 For This Useful Post:

12. The Following User has GroanedUnmlobo2003 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by pitwolf83 View Post
    Sounds kinda sad, but a sweet 16 is our holy grail. We'd love to get there one day.
    Not sad at all, lots of teams would love to win a game or even get the chance to go. Since I've posted on this board the last few days I took the opportunity to look at the schedule you played and there may have been a few opportunities that may have changed things like the bad home losses, but it looks like there were some decent road wins. That's hard to do at any level. This is a funny board, and very few mid-major schools are as active and hungry as some of the fans are here. I truly believe if things get figured out, and I don't know what all of those things are, there isn't a lot of against this school being there just about yearly.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to cbear5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,830 Times in 734 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 99 Times in 65 Posts
    Oh sweet Lord! Don't feed the rabid ego of the Lobo fan! Gonzaga of the Southwest? Based on what exactly, Alford's inability to win a postseason game here that wasn't in the b tourney? I'd say Baylor has a better shot at experiencing similar results to Gonzaga if they stop covering up sexual assault allegations and coaches like Mulkey stop talking about how it's the same there as everywhere.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bmccrack For This Useful Post:

17. The Following 3 Users Have Groaned bmccrack For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,194 Times in 1,581 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccrack View Post
    Oh sweet Lord! Don't feed the rabid ego of the Lobo fan! Gonzaga of the Southwest? Based on what exactly, Alford's inability to win a postseason game here that wasn't in the b tourney?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean, but he did win a couple first round NCAA tournament games while at UNM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreePointShot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,830 Times in 734 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 99 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePointShot View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean, but he did win a couple first round NCAA tournament games while at UNM.
    You're right, 2nd round game was the one he didn't ever win.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmlobo2003 View Post
    He hates it UNM?? Huh?? Where do u get ur info from?? He seems to like it here in my opinion! He is making good money and putting out a subpar team!! He has a lot of talent, but seems to underperform! He will b our coach again next year for info! He isn't going no where bro! Quit hating and support the team!!!

Go Lobos!!
    No coach would like being close to .500 three years in a row. He also has great disdain for the fans and the local media. Haven't you noticed that he has aged about 10 years in the past 2? New bags and wrinkles seem to appear on his face every day.

He will be gone at the end of next season. I love the Lobos. I just realize that we don't have the right coach.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to VWolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccrack View Post
    Oh sweet Lord! Don't feed the rabid ego of the Lobo fan! Gonzaga of the Southwest? Based on what exactly, Alford's inability to win a postseason game here that wasn't in the b tourney? I'd say Baylor has a better shot at experiencing similar results to Gonzaga if they stop covering up sexual assault allegations and coaches like Mulkey stop talking about how it's the same there as everywhere.
    Would prefer to talk about hoops but since it has been mentioned a few times now, the only thing I can say about that is very little. Of course something that is learned as alarming or shameful is never good for the decent kids and community that go to, and support the school. If it had happened here, I'm sure others would come to your board and flame about it. Happening elsewhere? No clue other than what is common knowledge in the media in Florida, PA and so-on.

Back to the first part of the post, my question is why not? Looking at the MWC I see no opponent that strikes fear in someone. Part of that is attitude and community. In my opinion having a winning program such as Kansas requires enough of a belief that a product is worth whatever it takes to be successful. If you have ever been to a game there fantastic court, crazy fans. Other than that not a ton of things to do there, no beach, but one thing who can be sure of is that KU basketball is king.

I have been to the pit and in my opinion UNM has one of the biggest home court advantages in all of college basketball, not just the MWC. Would you know that though? You would at Wichita State (crazy), Butler, of course Duke, Kansas, Kentucky ect. 20+ years ago many may have though Gonzaga was a soccer team in Europe, now synonymous with college bb. I read lots of comments about the coaches here. If they are not in line with expectation then change that. If money is an issue, then find a different route. In the next few weeks the tourney will be over, and some of the sting of watching crazy games on 3-4 channels will be gone. From there, since the school you support has decided to employ a coach for another year it would probably be a good idea to support that coach and the kids that play for the program.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to cbear5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts
    No coach would like being close to .500 three years in a row. He also has great disdain for the fans and the local media. Haven't you noticed that he has aged about 10 years in the past 2? New bags and wrinkles seem to appear on his face every day.

He is definitely showing the wear and tear of the job. But, "great disdain" for the fans and media, I don't think so. He certainly has contempt for the media. Frankly, almost all coaches do to some level. It is pretty commonplace. Guys like Belichick and Parcells made it an art form. I don't really see any behavior from Neal that fits any synonym of disdain at a level considerably above normal directed towards the fans as a whole.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to xraytube For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,393 Times in 767 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 110 Times in 44 Posts
    Would prefer to talk about hoops but since it has been mentioned a few times now, the only thing I can say about that is very little. Of course something that is learned as alarming or shameful is never good for the decent kids and community that go to, and support the school. If it had happened here, I'm sure others would come to your board and flame about it. Happening elsewhere? No clue other than what is common knowledge in the media in Florida, PA and so-on.

Back to the first part of the post, my question is why not? Looking at the MWC I see no opponent that strikes fear in someone. Part of that is attitude and community. In my opinion having a winning program such as Kansas requires enough of a belief that a product is worth whatever it takes to be successful. If you have ever been to a game there fantastic court, crazy fans. Other than that not a ton of things to do there, no beach, but one thing who can be sure of is that KU basketball is king.

I have been to the pit and in my opinion UNM has one of the biggest home court advantages in all of college basketball, not just the MWC. Would you know that though? You would at Wichita State (crazy), Butler, of course Duke, Kansas, Kentucky ect. 20+ years ago many may have though Gonzaga was a soccer team in Europe, now synonymous with college bb. I read lots of comments about the coaches here. If they are not in line with expectation then change that. If money is an issue, then find a different route. In the next few weeks the tourney will be over, and some of the sting of watching crazy games on 3-4 channels will be gone. From there, since the school you support has decided to employ a coach for another year it would probably be a good idea to support that coach and the kids that play for the program.
    you lost me at "support that coach"

Thanks
    Groan
    Then I should have started the post with that :)

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to cbear5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,123 Times in 642 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 77 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xraytube View Post
    He is definitely showing the wear and tear of the job. But, "great disdain" for the fans and media, I don't think so. He certainly has contempt for the media. Frankly, almost all coaches do to some level. It is pretty commonplace. Guys like Belichick and Parcells made it an art form. I don't really see any behavior from Neal that fits any synonym of disdain at a level considerably above normal directed towards the fans as a whole.
    His family had to move to an empty suite to watch the games for goodness sake. He and his family hate it here ever since his son got run out of town (probably even before that). Initially he loved it here, but now it is toxic. He would love to get out of dodge, but the million is keeping him here. And yes he looks beaten down and tired and has aged considerably.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to JRI For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan

The way he handled the Cullen situation was less than ideal. He was willing to impugn the entire fan base based on the actions of relatively few troll "fans." He is still doing that to this day, despite the effects that might have on his own recruiting. I would call that "great disdain."

Neal does not look at all comfortable like Belichick and Parcells. They master the media. Neal just bristles and groans at their questions. It is fair to say he doesn't appreciate their role and would prefer if they just go away.

At any rate it is apparent that Neal is not happy here at UNM. Anyone who noticed his deteriorating physical state, and his body language for long enough should come to that conclusion. My point is that being AHC might be more attractive than some people think.
    Last edited by VWolf; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:34 PM.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to VWolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    The way he handled the Cullen situation was less than ideal. He was willing to impugn the entire fan base based on the actions of relatively few troll "fans." He is still doing that to this day, despite the effects that might have on his own recruiting. I would call that "great disdain."

Neal does not look at all comfortable like Belichick and Parcells. They master the media. Neal just bristles and groans at their questions. It is fair to say he doesn't appreciate their role and would prefer if they just go away.

At any rate it is apparent that Neal is not happy here at UNM. Anyone who noticed his deteriorating physical state, and his body language for long enough should come to that conclusion. My point is that being AHC might be more attractive than some people think.

I am willing to be convinced otherwise, but I have neither read or heard from Neal statements that "impugn" the "entire fan base" based on the few cowardly troll fans. Does Neal deride those trolls? Yep, and I don't blame him one bit, but it is not directed to each fan. It is not beyond what I would expect normally from a person in his position when one of his kids is experiencing that stuff.

Bristles and groans? Really? Surely you have seen the early media for Belichick and Parcells before they became masters of the art. Do we really expect Neal to be a master of the media? For my part, mastering the press conferences ranks at about the level of shoelace color selection. I am probably not far off when I say that almost every head coach wishes the media would go away with the exception of showmen and those that require lots of attention.

I agree he is not happy. In his own words he is not meeting his own expectations and this is wearing him down. He just can't seem to get past being just average as a head coach. He sees it. We see it. I think a lot of the negative posters are letting their emotions get away from them and stop being objective about the situation.

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to xraytube For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 23 Times in 13 Posts
    Given that Bob Knight recently said terrible things, again, about the Indiana administration, and Steve seems to have a continuing relationship with him, I think it factors into Steve's decision on leaving for Indiana. I tend to believe that if he's offered a long-term contract at $4M per year he is gone. And Noodles stays here until he makes it or gets canned, ego and money drive it.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,161 Times in 3,488 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 231 Times in 145 Posts
    I'm a bit disappointed in you Vwolf. Although critical of the program you don't usually use hyperbole. I've known you as a facts guy..what happened?
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 493 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 148 Times in 57 Posts

If Alford does in fact get offered and accept the IU job, I'd put the odds at Neal leaving to join him at 50/50. Leaving provides Neal an opportunity to continue the unrealistic maniac fan narrative he seems to prefer these days. It's obvious that relationship is beyond repair and Neal has the personality type that is always going to find someone else to blame for his short comings. He's never going to own up to failing Lobo hoops. By leaving, he'll be able to promote the idea that it was impossible for him to be successful here because the damn fans are just so unrealistic. His defense mechanism is going to be to trash the fans and spread garbage all over the carpet before he leaves, whether that is this year or next. I just hope Krebs and the school have enough sense that if this IU assistant possibility becomes tangible that they are ready to pony up a couple of 250K installment payments to get Neal to his million. No good is going to come from him staying (for both him and UNM).
    Last edited by TheDamnFans; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:35 PM.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to TheDamnFans For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 73 Times in 18 Posts
    If Alford goes to IU. Niel is not invited. Alford and Niel are not BFFs. Fact. Also getting away from Niel was part of the decision to go to UCLA.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,123 Times in 642 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 77 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo#1 View Post
    If Alford goes to IU. Niel is not invited. Alford and Niel are not BFFs. Fact. Also getting away from Niel was part of the decision to go to UCLA.
    I don't think him getting away from Neil was part of the decision to go to UCLA. In fact, I think the UCLA assistant job was Neal's had he not gotten the UNM offer. I seem to recall comments that Alford had a spot for Neil if things didn't pan out at UNM.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to JRI For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,174 Times in 3,160 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 155 Times in 103 Posts
    Who is Niel?
    And who is Neil?
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

45. The Following User Says Thank You to timvracer For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,137 Times in 3,677 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 341 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo#1 View Post
    what? I'm sorry and I took a pledge with redsox so I'll restrict myself to requesting where did you gain this knowledge - it was my understanding that assistant coaches contracts are for one year and if Alford wanted Neal gone, he would have been.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 23 Times in 15 Posts
    Next year we honestly do not have much talent. It would be perfect timing to rebuild the program with a new coach. That all depends if Alford leaves for Indiana and if he offers Neal an assistant gig. That's a lot of "ifs" right there.
    CRAZYLOBO12

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacesells View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed in you Vwolf. Although critical of the program you don't usually use hyperbole. I've known you as a facts guy..what happened?
    Are you really also in denial about Neal not hating his past three years here? I should ask what happened to you?

It is a pretty obvious observation, and it wouldn't be challenged except on this very special board.

Thanks
    Groan
    I am willing to be convinced otherwise, but I have neither read or heard from Neal statements that "impugn" the "entire fan base" based on the few cowardly troll fans. Does Neal deride those trolls? Yep, and I don't blame him one bit, but it is not directed to each fan. It is not beyond what I would expect normally from a person in his position when one of his kids is experiencing that stuff.

Bristles and groans? Really? Surely you have seen the early media for Belichick and Parcells before they became masters of the art. Do we really expect Neal to be a master of the media? For my part, mastering the press conferences ranks at about the level of shoelace color selection. I am probably not far off when I say that almost every head coach wishes the media would go away with the exception of showmen and those that require lots of attention.

I agree he is not happy. In his own words he is not meeting his own expectations and this is wearing him down. He just can't seem to get past being just average as a head coach. He sees it. We see it. I think a lot of the negative posters are letting their emotions get away from them and stop being objective about the situation.

Just look at what Neal said at the time. Look at how he played up the supposed death threats. I am amazed that this slid off of so many on here, but I do know it went against the prevailing TheLoboLair narrative.

I remain objective about this. I am not going to pretend Neal is anything he isn't. He doesn't love the fans here, and more and more they don't love him. The writing is on the wall. His results are actually don't show average coaching at UNM. We have a big advantage in our conference in terms of resources, facilities, home court, and fan support. A bad coach could accomplish what he has here.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to VWolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Just look at what Neal said at the time. Look at how he played up the supposed death threats. I am amazed that this slid off of so many on here, but I do know it went against the prevailing TheLoboLair narrative.

I remain objective about this. I am not going to pretend Neal is anything he isn't. He doesn't love the fans here, and more and more they don't love him. The writing is on the wall. His results are actually don't show average coaching at UNM. We have a big advantage in our conference in terms of resources, facilities, home court, and fan support. A bad coach could accomplish what he has here.

Like I wrote, I am willing to be convinced otherwise. I remember when it went down with Cullen. My first search (and only one) brought this direct quote:

“He’s had to change his phone number twice and he’s had to take his Twitter account down,” coach Neal said. “It’s sad that a player from our university that plays for the Lobos, that’s the son of the coach – that has to happen. But I know there are a lot of great fans out there. That’s why I love this place. And I’m committed to this place and my son’s committed to it, but it’s just not right.”

Where is the great disdain for all of the fans? This quote clearly refers to a minority of cowardly fans. Neal says he loves the place because there are a lot of great fans. Obviously, the criticism of Cullen continued and Cullen dropped his commitment. I don't blame him.

As far as average goes, turns out Neal is right on the median for coaches starting with Bob King and not counting Charlie Harrison consider W-L percentage. When I wrote average, I was thinking D-1 overall. However, history has shown that we UNM fans will grow tired of the good to very good coaches anyway (Colson, Bliss, and yes even Alford once we lost to Harvard). Average will never cut it here. Neal knows it. I know it. Anything other than very good or better is bad for UNM.

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to xraytube For This Useful Post:

Thread Information