Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 13 Times in 8 Posts

If the Lobo players work as hard as their coach.......

First Post Banner
    I must say I'm impressed with what Weir and his staff has done in super late recruiting. It's clear he's willing to match the effort he expects with his players.

He's got a tough task ahead to shape a bunch of strangers into a cohesive team in a very short period of time, but he's sure got my attention.

I'll still be happy with a .500 season, but I'm cautiously beginning to think it could be more than that.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 74 Times in 16 Posts
    Very encouraged by Coach! Go Lobos!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Ltlobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No way this team has a .500 season. The shackles of the tedious offense the team ran under coach Neal will be taken off. Look for Mathis, Kuiper, and especially Logwood to break out this year. There are plenty of players on this team that have never gotten a real chance to show what they can do. I would also expect to see huge impact from Mcdougal(sp?) This team should compete for a top 3 regular season finish. Coach Weir has shown that he is a real leader. His old team won 21 in a row last year.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Jones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,143 Times in 4,869 Posts
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Groan
    Groaned 88 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    No way this team has a .500 season. The shackles of the tedious offense the team ran under coach Neal will be taken off. Look for Mathis, Kuiper, and especially Logwood to break out this year. There are plenty of players on this team that have never gotten a real chance to show what they can do. I would also expect to see huge impact from Mcdougal(sp?) This team should compete for a top 3 regular season finish. Coach Weir has shown that he is a real leader. His old team won 21 in a row last year.
    My suspicions are similar to yours, but I leave that on the best case scenario end of the ledger.
    My mid- to worst case scenarios include a myriad of starts, ranging from meh to not good, but all of them contain no collapses down the stretch months of February and March.
    By the end of the season, I almost expect we'll truly be a team nobody wants to have to play in a tournament, whatever those tournaments may be.

"You can't go! All the plants are gonna die!"- Bill Murray in Stripes

7. The Following 14 Users Say Thanks to Bloo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 16 Posts
    I'm thinking we will be above .500. We lost some good players, but, IMO, I don't think they ever played as a team or with great effort. Coach Neal's famous last words were.." You can't coach effort". I disagree. We lost to many teams without as much talent as we had. We had a couple of guys that all they cared about was their individual performance and not the team performance.

I think this team has better talent than last year and I think that coach Weir will teach them to rise to the occasion. I think they will play as a team and win as a team. You are right Big Mel....Coach Weir works hard and it sets a good example for this year's team.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Bigdawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,103 Times in 4,075 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 130 Times in 60 Posts
    I expect the players will work/play as the coaches have done recruiting. Coach W. will be involved during the game working refs, coaching sets, and coaching effort. I believe the offense we will see will be exciting and hopefully the fans react with more standing and louder cheering, lets bring the PIT back to what is supposed to be, 1 MILE HIGH AND LOUDER THAN H#^^. Fans can get players playing hard... Fans can take back the PIT..

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to wolf1960 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,466 Times in 2,800 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 224 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    I love your enthusiasm, but we've only got an 11 man roster. If you take out the 2 freshmen, because freshmen all develop at their own pace, that leaves 9. I believe that we can have a very nice rotation with the remaining 9 players and possibly challenge for a MWC title. However, the one thing we can't afford is major injuries like we had last year. In order for our best case scenario to materialize we have to stay healthy.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 29 Times in 15 Posts
    I'd be surprised to see this team win a conference title because I just don't see a star player at the title level. Even a player like Dairese Gary, for example, was not good enough to carry the team to a title during the year when he was the best player. That said, I do think that the talent on this team is good enough to do better than last year's.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 277 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts
    One of my saddest moments as a Lobo fan was when D's knee buckled. There was an horrific silence in the arena, and I'm sure in every living room with a TV. Dairese was all about toughness and heart, and that attitude made him the unquestioned leader. Alford's first best move was to bring him to UNM. He set the tone for what was to follow. A true Lobo.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to zygote For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf1960 View Post
    I expect the players will work/play as the coaches have done recruiting. Coach W. will be involved during the game working refs, coaching sets, and coaching effort. I believe the offense we will see will be exciting and hopefully the fans react with more standing and louder cheering, lets bring the PIT back to what is supposed to be, 1 MILE HIGH AND LOUDER THAN H#^^. Fans can get players playing hard... Fans can take back the PIT..
    MAKE THE PIT GREAT AGAIN -

LET LOOSE THE WEIRWOLVES

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to BigMel For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,206 Times in 5,208 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,416 Times in 863 Posts
    We will win 20 plus games, count on it

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to NMFANINOKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 1,504 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMerciful_1 View Post
    I love your enthusiasm, but we've only got an 11 man roster. If you take out the 2 freshmen, because freshmen all develop at their own pace, that leaves 9. I believe that we can have a very nice rotation with the remaining 9 players and possibly challenge for a MWC title. However, the one thing we can't afford is major injuries like we had last year. In order for our best case scenario to materialize we have to stay healthy.
    Every single one of Alford's teams had the same, or in some years fewer, players as we do this season.
    "Believe or Leave"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SoCalLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,467 Times in 446 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 57 Times in 25 Posts
    If Weir gets the team to buy into the "Run and Stun" this program will make waves soon.

This system is perfect for UNM. Wear the other team out with the press. The Lobos will get the home crowd in the game and will be able to compete against more talented teams.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Soonlobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote View Post
    One of my saddest moments as a Lobo fan was when D's knee buckled. There was an horrific silence in the arena, and I'm sure in every living room with a TV. Dairese was all about toughness and heart, and that attitude made him the unquestioned leader. Alford's first best move was to bring him to UNM. He set the tone for what was to follow. A true Lobo.
    Agreed on that, and I didn't mean any disrespect to him.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,545 Times in 3,576 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 233 Times in 146 Posts
    Wow
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 16 Posts
    Neal only played 7-9 players each game and usually only 7 We will be just fine with our 11.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdawg For This Useful Post:

Thread Information