Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Carlton Bragg

Thanks
    Thanked 8,136 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 62 Times in 47 Posts

Carlton Bragg

First Post Banner
    Perhaps the biggest news out of the press conference was the appeal of Carlton Bragg's eligibility. Weir referenced a QB transfer to Michigan that they were citing as a case for support of Bragg. This is Shea Patterson, an elite QB. The issue with Patterson has some differences in that he requested a waiver based upon Patterson believing he was mislead by Mississippi in his recruitment process. The waiver was granted a couple of weeks ago and Patterson does not need to sit out.

The real help to Bragg's case came from a report from an NCAA committee last month which expanded the reasons why waivers could be granted. Here is the report and below is the important part: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...t_20180427.pdf

Specifically, immediate eligibility may be provided to a transferstudent-athlete, provided: (Fairness/Well-Being/Operational)

a. The transfer is due to documented mitigating circumstances that are outside thestudent-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of thestudent-athlete;
    b. At the time of transfer to the certifying institution, the student-athlete would havebeen athletically and academically eligible and in good standing on the team hadhe or she remained at the previous institution;
    c. The certifying institution must certify that the student-athlete meets percentage-of-degreerequirements; and
    d. The previous institution's athletics administration does not oppose the transfer.
    Weir indicated that they were hopeful for the success of the appeal and the ASU indicated their support. Was their some mitigating circumstance beyond Bragg's control? We don't know but that seems loose enough to include a lot of things.

Bottom line: The likelihood of seeing Bragg for an entire season just went up significantly. This not only bodes well for our success in the first dozen games but Bragg will gain valuable court time which will make him even more of a factor at the end of the season, barring unforeseen circumstances.

A great day to be a Lobo and buy season tickets!
    Last edited by SoCalLobo; 1 Week Ago at 02:57 PM.
    "Believe or Leave"

2. The Following User has GroanedSoCalLobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,189 Times in 1,609 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Groan
    Groaned 116 Times in 76 Posts
    That would be nice if Mr Bragg can play a full season next year. Ncaa make this happen.

JOHN 3:16
    WE ARE NEW MEXICO !

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to LoboAuto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,581 Times in 1,329 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 43 Times in 13 Posts
    Interesting that the two eligibility appeals--McDougall and Bragg--have both involved ASU. I hope this one turns out better.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to Dr.M For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,216 Times in 7,927 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 465 Times in 260 Posts
    b. At the time of transfer to the certifying institution, the student-athlete would havebeen athletically and academically eligible and in good standing on the team hadhe or she remained at the previous institution;
    So basically, they are saying, had he remained at ASU, he would be eligible this fall, which would complete his 1 year transfer, and since there were mitigating circumstances forcing him to transfer to UNM, as long as he is in good academic standing, he would be eligible this fall? Seems fair...I hope this turns out to be the case. Wow, this would be huge!!!

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 803 Times in 148 Posts
    I think the fact that Weir even brought it up today is a good sign. I want to be at full strength right from the get-go.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to goAK1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,443 Times in 4,483 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
    Interesting that the two eligibility appeals--McDougall and Bragg--have both involved ASU. I hope this one turns out better.
    I wonder if the coaching staff's experience with the player will have any effect on outcome in this. ASU didn't cooperate with the Connor situation, but things sound promising with Bragg this time. Is it of benefit that Bragg has relationship with Hurley and staff when Connor didn't?

I don't know the answer but wonder if it will end up being a factor.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,998 Times in 1,658 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 102 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    ,,, ASU didn't cooperate with the Connor situation, but things sound promising with Bragg this time. ,,,
    For Connor it was out of ASU's hand, as New Mexico's appeal and denial had to go through the PAC 12. It was the PAC 12 (rules) that said no, because Connor had suited up for more than 30% of the games even though he played limited action in only 6 games for the season in question (14-15). Had he only played / suited up in their first 9 games before his injury, he would have been eligible for another year. I believe he suited up in 14 games, playing in 6, but may practiced even longer.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1090698/m...n-to-play.html

I am not sure in Bragg's case how involved the PAC 12 will be, but they are the governing body for eligibility and transfers for all PAC 12 members. Since Bragg never played a game, I would hope like ASU, the PAC 12 would be as supportive.
    Last edited by hobo; 1 Week Ago at 03:34 AM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to hobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,792 Times in 1,301 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 79 Times in 46 Posts
    I cannot stress how different Weir is than any previous Lobo boss. He is more than a coach he is the CEO of the men’s basketball department.
    Winning is the goal but financial success is the plan. Obviously he wins he gets paid more but this is more than self-promotion. UNM baskets is a sleeping giant $$$-wise. Just like the great State of New Mexico is. Weir sees success as creating a winning money making engine. If UNM stays out of his way I like his chances.
    Quarterly Foundation meeting starts tomorrow in Santa Fe. I’ll have some financial news shortly thereafter.
    I think Bragg gets the waiver. His story involves more than an itenirant basketball player. GO LOBOS!

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    For Connor it was out of ASU's hand, as New Mexico's appeal and denial had to go through the PAC 12. It was the PAC 12 (rules) that said no, because Connor had suited up for more than 30% of the games even though he played limited action in only 6 games for the season in question (14-15). Had he only played / suited up in their first 9 games before his injury, he would have been eligible for another year. I believe he suited up in 14 games, playing in 6, but may practiced even longer.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1090698/m...n-to-play.html

I am not sure in Bragg's case how involved the PAC 12 will be, but they are the governing body for eligibility and transfers for all PAC 12 members. Since Bragg never played a game, I would hope like ASU, the PAC 12 would be as supportive.
    I thought there had been a statement at some point that ASU had to give the okay to the PAC 12 to move forward but had chosen not to do that. Perhaps that statement was incorrect or perhaps I'm mis-remembering...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 786 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 324 Times in 85 Posts
    I thought there had been a statement at some point that ASU had to give the okay to the PAC 12 to move forward but had chosen not to do that. Perhaps that statement was incorrect or perhaps I'm mis-remembering...
    Perhaps you’ve been a copper lounge far too long buddy
    -Sent from my Nintendo Game & Watch

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 490 Times in 77 Posts
    But two different coaching staffs, correct? CM played under Herb Sendek, Bragg was brought in by Hurley.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to lovatoma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,704 Times in 1,564 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 1,558 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklyn_esq View Post
    I cannot stress how different Weir is than any previous Lobo boss. He is more than a coach he is the CEO of the men’s basketball department.
    Winning is the goal but financial success is the plan. Obviously he wins he gets paid more but this is more than self-promotion. UNM baskets is a sleeping giant $$$-wise. Just like the great State of New Mexico is. Weir sees success as creating a winning money making engine. If UNM stays out of his way I like his chances.
    Quarterly Foundation meeting starts tomorrow in Santa Fe. I’ll have some financial news shortly thereafter.
    I think Bragg gets the waiver. His story involves more than an itenirant basketball player. GO LOBOS!
    Sleeping giant?! Really? The nonmial definition of this is a vast or significant change. For example TCU in football. It was an average program before Patterson and now top 15 and P5.

UNM basketball is already running at 80% capacity of opportunity dollars. Are you saying that at 100%, only a 20% increase is a sleeping giant!? I would respectfully disagree.

The UNM football program has the most potential growth. It is a potential giant of revenue.
    But you folks in N.M. don’t like football.

20. The Following User has GroanedDWL For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,792 Times in 1,301 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 79 Times in 46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DWL View Post
    Sleeping giant?! Really?

UNM basketball is already running at 80% capacity of opportunity dollars.
    Typical NM thinking. What is opportunity capacity here? What was Gonzaga's opportunity capacity prior to Monson/Few? Think a run of Sweet 16's change that capacity?

With that thought process the CSU's Boise State's of the present will leave UNM in the rear view mirror just like our old colleagues ASU and Arizona did. When I landed in Abq the four corner states were running neck and neck financially but NM's opportunity costs left them in the Bottom Ten Conference of States.

22. The Following 20 Users Say Thanks to brooklyn_esq For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,326 Times in 5,550 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,880 Times in 1,179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklyn_esq View Post
    Could not agree more on the CEO aspect.. Well said!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to NMFANINOKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by boingee View Post
    Perhaps you’ve been a copper lounge far too long buddy
    Just waiting for you to leave so I have a place to sit.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,790 Times in 647 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 24 Times in 15 Posts
    I agree, Weir is truly a CEO and Ambassador for UNM Basketball. He can accomplish a lot here and help solve some of UNM's academic woes. That said, both basketball and football have a high ceiling. I think must of us agree.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Riches6 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Riches6 View Post
    I agree, Weir is truly a CEO and Ambassador for UNM Basketball. He can accomplish a lot here and help solve some of UNM's academic woes. That said, both basketball and football have a high ceiling. I think must of us agree.
    I hope people listen to Coach Weir.... and I hope local media helps give him a platform to be heard. I've seen where a few news outlets had reported on Coach's appeal to fans about buying season tickets, that's a very good thing. Not to diminish that, but does anyone know if any of the stations showed footage of the presser? Specifically - of him imploring fans to buy tickets? IMO that would be a great thing for folks to see on the evening news in greater ABQ and NM in general.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 383 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 58 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DWL View Post
    Sleeping giant?! Really? The nonmial definition of this is a vast or significant change. For example TCU in football. It was an average program before Patterson and now top 15 and P5.

UNM basketball is already running at 80% capacity of opportunity dollars. Are you saying that at 100%, only a 20% increase is a sleeping giant!? I would respectfully disagree.

The UNM football program has the most potential growth. It is a potential giant of revenue.
    But you folks in N.M. don’t like football.
    But you folks in N.M. don’t like bad football.

Fixed.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Anton For This Useful Post:

32. The Following User has GroanedAnton For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,688 Times in 4,975 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 652 Times in 300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post

Fixed.
    How many games a year do you attend? broken "fan" now Fixed.
    Last edited by Doublealum; 1 Week Ago at 07:18 PM.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 92 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post

Fixed.
    During those 2 good years in a row that Davie had the fans still didn't turn out...

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Hoops For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,869 Times in 3,083 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 273 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoops View Post
    During those 2 good years in a row that Davie had the fans still didn't turn out...
    You can't lose to NMSU and expect fans to show up in droves afterwards. That game has the most fans every year. If you lose that one do you think those fans are excited to go to another one? There aren't enough home games in football after that game to recover. In basketball there are plenty.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

38. The Following User has GroanedUNMerciful_1 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMerciful_1 View Post
    You can't lose to NMSU and expect fans to show up in droves afterwards. That game has the most fans every year. If you lose that one do you think those fans are excited to go to another one? There aren't enough home games in football after that game to recover. In basketball there are plenty.
    only one f those years did we lose to the Aggies. Last year in b- ball the Aggies swept us. Come on, let's get it toghether and quit giving ourselves excuses - we won't allow our teams or coaches to so let's hold ourselves to a similar standard.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UWSLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,989 Times in 2,666 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 625 Times in 211 Posts
    ASU didn't cooperate with the Connor situation...
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    Lots of inaccuracies here.

Connor's initial hardship waiver application was denied, but he appealed to the Pac 12, and in March, he won his appeal. ASU did in fact cooperate in that appeal just as it had in his initial application.

So when nearly everyone thought that Connor's situation was hopeless, Connor eventually won because he never gave up. He felt that he had a good hardship case, but he simply needed more and better documentation to win it. If UNM Had been more aggressive with that appeal upon first learning that the application had been denied, Connor might still be a Lobo.

IMO, Weir learned from Connor's win. Be more aggressive....better documentation....Hence, Bragg.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to UWSLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by UWSLobo View Post
    Lots of inaccuracies here.

Connor's initial hardship waiver application was denied, but he appealed to the Pac 12, and in March, he won his appeal. ASU did in fact cooperate in that appeal just as it had in his initial application.

So when nearly everyone thought that Connor's situation was hopeless, Connor eventually won because he never gave up. He felt that he had a good hardship case, but he simply needed more and better documentation to win it. If UNM Had been more aggressive with that appeal upon first learning that the application had been denied, Connor might still be a Lobo.

IMO, Weir learned from Connor's win. Be more aggressive....better documentation....Hence, Bragg.
    interestinbbtake/info. If you are at liberty, What is the basis of your info or is it your interpretation?

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,869 Times in 3,083 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 273 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    only one f those years did we lose to the Aggies. Last year in b- ball the Aggies swept us. Come on, let's get it toghether and quit giving ourselves excuses - we won't allow our teams or coaches to so let's hold ourselves to a similar standard.
    After our home loss to NMSU last year we averaged 10,534 in attendance for our next 6 home game, and that includes the 13,207 for Arizona. We would've been well below 10,000 without that game. For the last 6 home games we averaged 11,683. That's what I mean by having enough time to recover attendance wise. In football you will lose a significant portion of the fanbase if you have a bad loss early. You'll only have 4 or 5 home games left as it is. In basketball, a bad loss early can have a temporary affect on attendance, but there are still plenty of home games left ti reenergize the the fanbase and last year proved that.

Please don't read my post and think I'm telling you that this is OK. I think the fans should support the team regardless. However, what the fans should do, and what the reality is are two different things. And the reality is that a bad early loss in football has a much more damaging affect on football than it does on basketball.

44. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UWSLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,989 Times in 2,666 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 625 Times in 211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    interestinbbtake/info. If you are at liberty, What is the basis of your info or is it your interpretation?
    Good intel.

Thread Information