Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 419 Times in 73 Posts

Time to shorten bench?

First Post Banner
    Ten guys 12 minutes or more. Does Weir even have a discernible rotation?? Sometimes it just looks like random guys coming in and out.

2. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned HoboLob0 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,774 Times in 3,624 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 235 Times in 148 Posts
    No.
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,811 Times in 3,786 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 79 Times in 65 Posts
    Not with as fast as we play. It doesn't fit the system.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 379 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 71 Times in 25 Posts
    We need guys to develop this year ... Besides sam, antino, and Dane no one on this team has really ever play significant minutes in d1.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to loboball30 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 379 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboLob0 View Post
    Ten guys 12 minutes or more. Does Weir even have a discernible rotation?? Sometimes it just looks like random guys coming in and out.
    The rotation is pretty clear to me, he's adjusting and trying to keep pairs of players together. It doesn't have to be this rigid thing that some of you guys think it needs to be, as long as the minutes are allocated the way he thinks is best.
    "I have never posted with less power in my life."

"GP2 Posting! GP2 Posting!"

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Miguelnavida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,331 Times in 641 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 21 Times in 16 Posts
    I like the rotation, he clearly does keep certain players together for the most part.
    Don't let who you are, keep you from becoming you who want to be!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to AbqLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,477 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 51 Times in 27 Posts
    The Bench 36pts.
    The Starting five 21pts.

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thanks to lbc7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 625 Times in 105 Posts
    Shorten the bench, lengthen the bench, blah, blah. Doesn't matter. Bad basketball team. Can't make chicken salad out of you know what

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to TheGrey For This Useful Post:

17. The Following 13 Users Have Groaned TheGrey For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,329 Times in 5,776 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 612 Times in 290 Posts
    The only thing as far as who plays what and when is that Vlad, Maukauch and Anthony need to pick up some more playing time.
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,400 Times in 3,544 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 68 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrey View Post
    Shorten the bench, lengthen the bench, blah, blah. Doesn't matter. Bad basketball team. Can't make chicken salad out of you know what
    Is Southwest still having a sale on now? Maybe you should get a one way ticket to Nome Alaska and return in a year or three. Check the scores on the internet and jump on the bandwagon when they are winning. Are you also a Dallas Cowboy's fan perchance?

Quote Originally Posted by JulieG View Post
    The only thing as far as who plays what and when is that Vlad, Maukauch and Anthony need to pick up some more playing time.
    Completely agree.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you MaxLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,223 Times in 2,058 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 183 Times in 101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboLob0 View Post
    If he shortens the bench it means we are changing our overall strategy. Even with the minutes spread out as they are, our guys are dead by the last 5 minutes. Can't even hit a free throw. Clearly can't shorten the bench and keep up the non-stop full court pressure.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MaxLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,545 Times in 1,870 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 77 Posts
    . You are quick to criticize. I'm curious, what solutions do you have? Since you are clearly a better coach and recruiter, what would you have done differently than Weir? Go.... We are all waiting to hear the answers. I'm being serious. I'm tired of people calling out this coach and these players for sucking and then not offering any solutions.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to jbarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,545 Times in 1,870 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo2x53 View Post
    Is Southwest still having a sale on now? Maybe you should get a one way ticket to Nome Alaska and return in a year or three. Check the scores on the internet and jump on the bandwagon when they are winning. Are you also a Dallas Cowboy's fan perchance?

Completely agree.
    . TheGrey expected nothing short of a national championship this year.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to jbarr For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,571 Times in 6,122 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 155 Times in 106 Posts
    but apparently you can make posts out of you know what. Lol
    Last edited by Lobodawg92; 1 Week Ago at 03:56 PM.
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Lobodawg92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 345 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 33 Times in 15 Posts
    I saw him sub 5 new guys in/out last night. I like all 10 guys who are getting minutes, but some guys need to really step up to shorten the rotations and be consistent for the team overall. Mathis & Maluach have been the only ones IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,078 Times in 1,561 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 111 Times in 60 Posts
    Right now, as long as everyone is playing hard, I see no reason to shorten. I think Jachai was on the end of the bench in terms of mins, but with Sam in trouble, he got some run last night and played well in spurts.

Just because you dont understand something, doesnt make it wrong... we are all frustrated with the W/Ls right now, but this team has shown no signs of letting up. If we could say the same for all of the fans, there could be something special brewing!
    “The will to succeed is important, but what’s more important is the will to prepare” – Bobby Knight

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to LoboDogg For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Bullchuter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,467 Times in 2,588 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 198 Times in 105 Posts
    Coach Weir is well aware of the situation he has. I believe he is addressing the problems and can only hope our players will Improve on their shots. Poor shooting has been a big problem thus far. I like the style he is implementing here. Let's just give him time to get his type of skilled players that will bring about Lobo success.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Bullchuter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,811 Times in 3,786 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 79 Times in 65 Posts
    [QUOTE=LoboDogg;990832]Right now, as long as everyone is playing hard, I see no reason to shorten. I think Jachai was on the end of the bench in terms of mins, but with Sam in trouble, he got some run last night and played well in spurts.

Just because you dont understand something, doesnt make it wrong... we are all frustrated with the W/Ls right now, but this team has shown no signs of letting up. If we could say the same for all of the fans, there could be something special brewing![/QUOTE]
    THIS!
    Last edited by Scott; 1 Week Ago at 11:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,278 Times in 4,094 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 832 Times in 424 Posts
    The poor shooting is a direct result of poor shot selection which is a direct result of loosey goosey offensive sets. We did also miss some wide open shots. There is nothing you can do about that, but you can correct the other stuff. No more having the 5 drive and dish or throw up a wild shot. We have guys on the team who are much more suited to that.

It seems that by plan we don't really need to run a half-court offense because the plan is to just run back after a turnover to put up a quick shot. Unfortunately there are more possessions than not, where the Lobos have to execute in the half-court. The idea that every player is interchangeable and every player can create, drive, and shoot really isn't jibing with the reality. We have some players who are good at certain shots and plays, but they are attempting to go outside their comfort zone more often than not. The end result of that is wild shots.

Also compounding that is the fact that we don't have a true back to the basket scorer. The best post moves on the team can be seen in a true freshman from Germany, and while that is praise for Pinchuk, it also shows how weak this team is inside on offense. Joe is a perfectly capable post defender. He hits his free throws and can get put backs, and short jumpers. He is not good whenever he has to move with the ball, either driving or posting up. Sam actually has some OK post moves, but the problem is getting him into the post. When he dribbles in he turns it over too often, even when he's backing up. Of course, he just had a nightmare night against CU because they have long athletic players who can bother his shot.

But all that being said, it was pretty clear that Colorado was the more talented and experienced team last night. Maybe we will get an upset once in a while, like we almost did against TCU.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to VWolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,456 Times in 546 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    The Grey has yet again caused me to lose my groan button. Sigh...if he's going to keep posting, they need to allow us more groans!

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to abqpianist For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,400 Times in 3,544 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 68 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VWolf View Post
    The poor shooting is a direct result of poor shot selection which is a direct result of loosey goosey offensive sets. We did also miss some wide open shots. There is nothing you can do about that, but you can correct the other stuff. No more having the 5 drive and dish or throw up a wild shot. We have guys on the team who are much more suited to that.
    I agree that shot selection is a significant part of it, but from the little I have seen the shooting mechanics are also part of it. I didn't think that much about the mechanics until the last year when I saw what coach Val King has done with the women. She came in, simplified and standardized their mechanics and the difference with the same players who were here two years ago has been dramatic. Yes, some of that has also shot selection in the flow of the game, but both matter.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 379 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VWolf View Post

It seems that by plan we don't really need to run a half-court offense because the plan is to just run back after a turnover to put up a quick shot. Unfortunately there are more possessions than not, where the Lobos have to execute in the half-court. The idea that every player is interchangeable and every player can create, drive, and shoot really isn't jibing with the reality. We have some players who are good at certain shots and plays, but they are attempting to go outside their comfort zone more often than not. The end result of that is wild shots.

Also compounding that is the fact that we don't have a true back to the basket scorer. The best post moves on the team can be seen in a true freshman from Germany, and while that is praise for Pinchuk, it also shows how weak this team is inside on offense. Joe is a perfectly capable post defender. He hits his free throws and can get put backs, and short jumpers. He is not good whenever he has to move with the ball, either driving or posting up. Sam actually has some OK post moves, but the problem is getting him into the post. When he dribbles in he turns it over too often, even when he's backing up. Of course, he just had a nightmare night against CU because they have long athletic players who can bother his shot.

But all that being said, it was pretty clear that Colorado was the more talented and experienced team last night. Maybe we will get an upset once in a while, like we almost did against TCU.
    Yeah, I felt that once Colorado adjusted to deny the guards easy 3s from off-ball movement, Sam and Joe tried way to hard to score to open that up, rather than attack and dish out.

Sam got double teamed almost every possession he tried to score, leaving a wide open guard somewhere. While you won't get 100% of those looks or even see 100% of them, Sam seemed to go into "bull in china shop" mode and not look at all.

Pinchuk and Maluach had some good stuff last night. Maluach has improved by miles, and Pinchuk deserves a lot of credit for his growth too.
    "I have never posted with less power in my life."

"GP2 Posting! GP2 Posting!"

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Miguelnavida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    . You are quick to criticize. I'm curious, what solutions do you have? Since you are clearly a better coach and recruiter, what would you have done differently than Weir? Go.... We are all waiting to hear the answers. I'm being serious. I'm tired of people calling out this coach and these players for sucking and then not offering any solutions.
    Utilize our quickness more. Go to a smaller lineup. I like Joe but our bigs simply don't offer much. We already getting killed on the boards, might as well go with smaller size and more quickness and make our opponents adjust. Btw, if out guys don't start shooting better it doesn't matter who the coach is. Hopefully that's something that Weir can really improve on. I'm sorry for sounding harsh. Yes, Weir inherited a mess. Yes, we have a lack of talent, but I just don't think theres any excuse to losing to teams like UTEP and Tennessee Tech

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    Utilize our quickness more. Go to a smaller lineup. I like Joe but our bigs simply don't offer much. We already getting killed on the boards, might as well go with smaller size and more quickness and make our opponents adjust. Btw, if out guys don't start shooting better it doesn't matter who the coach is. Hopefully that's something that Weir can really improve on. I'm sorry for sounding harsh. Yes, Weir inherited a mess. Yes, we have a lack of talent, but I just don't think theres any excuse to losing to teams like UTEP and Tennessee Tech

Thanks
    Thanked 7,437 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 53 Posts
    The funny thing is that the bench completely outperformed the starters in this game. We trailed by 2 at the half, and by 1 with 10 minutes left. The bench was a HUGE part of the fact that we were in the game at all.
    FEAR NOTHING!!!!!!!

Thread Information