Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 131 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 17 Times in 4 Posts

Coaching college basketball in 2018

First Post Banner
    Is it me or is coaching a D1 roster starting to resemble coaching a JUCO team? With one and dones, transfers, grad transfers, etc. rosters are in a constant state of change. Last years roster had Antino, Connor, Troy, Jachai, and Chris who only ended up playing one year with the team. Is this much change good for college basketball?

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to loboz For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,640 Times in 4,967 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 652 Times in 300 Posts
    Legit question for which I certainly don’t have an answer. I think the jury is definitely out but one thing for sure is that it’s a changing environment. Perhaps part of the high turnover for us can be attributable to last year being the transition & Weir only having a short time to recruit and evaluate- time will tell and how many we see transfer out after this yea, IMO, will be far mor instructive.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,148 Times in 6,140 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 630 Times in 305 Posts
    I don't think it resembles a JC situation, but things are not the way they used to be. Transfers and especially graduate transfers have changed the landscape a great deal. As to One and Done that has been around for a while, although the beneficiaries generally have only been the top schools as the player needs the exposure for it work best for their future in the League. As to JC transfers some schools have used that route much more than other schools and if you are working on getting a program up it is probably the best way. When King and Ellenberger came to prominence it was using JC kids so we have used it for a while. We have three incoming JC kids and three transfers. It makes us very competitive right now. I think that it will slow some in the future as our identity changes for the better.
    Last edited by JulieG; 3 Days Ago at 11:00 AM.
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,436 Times in 4,352 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 879 Times in 459 Posts
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. In a way it is una lastima, because I really have enjoyed four year players for the Lobos (Kendall, Hugh, Lamont Long, Clayton Shields, Dairese Gary, Kenny Thomas, etc.).

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to VWolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,415 Times in 4,469 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 82 Posts
    I don't know if it's like JC, but I do get the comparison. From a loyal fan's perspective it's tough because watching development is a big part of being a fan. Also, we don't get to actually know the players (at least most of us) but we get to know them from a distance and it's fun to follow the player along with the team. To some degree it is becoming the norm for players to shuffle a lot, but it's not the norm everywhere and we'll see how things settle for the Lobos. Double said it well in that we'll know more next year about whether this will continue to be the pattern under Weir. We have a very very solid leader in Weir and I like the coaching style a lot. That said I think another risk with the style is that while a player may to commit to it for a season, after the season we may have a guy or two that decides he doesn't want to do it (the intense conditioning etc.) year after year. I do think that players moving on for that reason is a possibility.

Go Lobo Recruits. Go Coach Weir.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,358 Times in 5,984 Posts
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Groan
    Groaned 175 Times in 102 Posts
    I'm sure Weir wants four year guys. His first year+ has been hectic as he tries to implement his program.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to loborick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 131 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 17 Times in 4 Posts
    Nevada has been very successful with transfers and grad transfers. NMSU has recruited many jucos and transfers. Gonzaga has a history of taking transfers. I don’t think it’s a negative for us to only sign maybe two freshman per year. Non power five schools need to try non traditional methods to compete at the highest levels.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to loboz For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,640 Times in 4,967 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 652 Times in 300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I don't know if it's like JC, but I do get the comparison. From a loyal fan's perspective it's tough because watching development is a big part of being a fan. Also, we don't get to actually know the players (at least most of us) but we get to know them from a distance and it's fun to follow the player along with the team. To some degree it is becoming the norm for players to shuffle a lot, but it's not the norm everywhere and we'll see how things settle for the Lobos. Double said it well in that we'll know more next year about whether this will continue to be the pattern under Weir. We have a very very solid leader in Weir and I like the coaching style a lot. That said I think another risk with the style is that while a player may to commit to it for a season, after the season we may have a guy or two that decides he doesn't want to do it (the intense conditioning etc.) year after year. I do think that players moving on for that reason is a possibility.

Go Lobo Recruits. Go Coach Weir.
    totally agree and would add that another issue for some is Weir's commitment to playing everyone - for some that means they don't think they are getting the PT they want. It's one thing to be told about the work effort, shared PT and quite another to live it. Time will tell.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,903 Times in 2,196 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 166 Times in 89 Posts
    College hoops ain’t what it use to and never will. Even the service academies are losing kids via the transfer highway.

Non p-5 schools gotta do what they gotta do to survive: the gotta take transfers, evaluate kids that will be ready in 2-3 years to produce and give them a chance and hope like crazy they pan out, go overseas, hit the jcs like never before, and if u got any money leftover from your friendly neighborhood booster why you just might offer a star recruit a lil something for his services. Gee sounds like good ole Bliss.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to RENOLOBO For This Useful Post:

Thread Information