Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,863 Times in 3,081 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 273 Times in 158 Posts
    First Post Banner
    She's an assistant coach for the spurs under Greg freakin' Popovich. How many coaches would give their right arm for that position? Greg Popovich is the best coach in the NBA in my opinion. He could've chosen anyone he wanted for that position, and he chose her. If Pop wants her that's good enough for me.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 594 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Lobo View Post
    I was thinking the same thing and then I remembered that Theus was there for two seasons and Weir was there for one.

I for one would not be surprised to see Jans split in the next season or two.
    Theus is not a good example imo. He opted for an NBA job. NMSU pays what it can afford. Just like UNM could not match UCLA. Alford may have left UNM for UCLA even without the bump in salary because, hey it's UCLA. Jan's may get the opportunity after this year and if the price is right would most likely take it. Unless you have a real tie to the school like being an alumni, wouldn't you.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,081 Times in 3,354 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 165 Times in 108 Posts
    I have stated my view clearly.. I support her, or any other qualified woman getting a D1 job, and I can't wait to see it.
    But just because someone doesn't agree with that doesn't make them a racist, or sexist. Why go there? Just make a case, one way or the other. If a case can be made (which I tried to do), I don't have to demonize someone else to do it. I hope facts can make the case better than name calling.

It's fun and all to mob pound someone as a racist or sexist when you don't even know them. It's easy to take a few "feelings" about what they are and label them, isn't that the exact same thing as how people justified their racism in the first place??

That said... I actually think in many ways, women can be better coaches in D1 men's ball, and I really want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by cjalico View Post
    I grow very tired of sexism and racism in our country. In this case, sexism. The naysayers on this threat are so blatant and transparent, trying to couch it in other terms, and I'm tired of it. GET OVER IT. If she's qualified - and clearly others think she is - she is a viable candidate. Maybe not the best candidate, but not a publicity stunt. The majority of coaches for women's teams are men, so being of a different sex than your team HAS NO BEARING ON SUCCESS. How many times, in hundreds of arenas, has it been said that a woman wasn't capable of "this" job just because she was female? I am seeing this here, now, in this thread. This is shameful.
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to timvracer For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Digital Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,631 Times in 11,473 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 662 Times in 417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarsideLobo View Post
    Theus is not a good example imo. He opted for an NBA job. NMSU pays what it can afford. Just like UNM could not match UCLA. Alford may have left UNM for UCLA even without the bump in salary because, hey it's UCLA.

Alford is a worse example imo. Sure he left UNM for UCLA, but that was after 6 seasons here.

My point was not where Theus and Weir went to. It was that they only stayed in Aggieland two seasons and one season respectively.

Going back to Bob King the shortest tenured head coaches at UNM were Charlie Harrison (interim head coach), Fraschilla, McKay and Neal who were all fired.

The only two head coaches during that stretch that left UNM for greener pastures were Bliss and Alford, but that was after 11 seasons and 6 seasons respectively.

A mile high and louder than howl

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you sandia mt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,605 Times in 2,150 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 48 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red wolf rob View Post
    I don't think getting an interview gives someone "credentials".

What hammond needs to do...get a head coaching job, at a small college, ie csu-pueblo, adams st. n.m. highlands etc. prove herself at that level, then she can move up to div-1 high major basketball.
    Why would she do that. She already has a better job than that. I'm not sure she has expressed interest in coaching at the college level. If she had, I'm sure she would already have one of those jobs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sandia mt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 803 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 120 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sandia mt View Post
    Why would she do that. She already has a better job than that. I'm not sure she has expressed interest in coaching at the college level. If she had, I'm sure she would already have one of those jobs.
    Well, duh. I thought we were talking about her getting a job at csu, as a d-1 head mens basketball coach.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,263 Times in 709 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 49 Times in 26 Posts
    Hammond is on the fast track to an NBA head coaching position. It’s just a matter of time. The NBA is pushing to be the first of the major sports to have a woman head coach. No way she takes a D1 coaching job. Less $$ than she is probably making now with more headaches. If the Uconn coach stepped down she would be a name they would want but she still wouldn’t do it. Anyone that can go into the Spurs organization and earn praise from the likes of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and other vets is doing something right. It’s been reported that Popovich let’s her run a lot of practices on her own. CSU, or even UNM would be too much of a downgrade for her at this point.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to ThreadKiller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 57 Times in 41 Posts
    She is way more suited to being a future NBA head coach, as it doesn't have the recruiting issues that I believe would make the college game very difficult for her.

Thread Information