Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,481 Times in 3,928 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 482 Times in 205 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Quote Originally Posted by txlobo95 View Post
    Combs has been playing the 4 though in college and has the skill to play there. Sam is going to be converted from a 3 to a 4, if indeed that is the plan. Why not have both? Right now, only Connor and Joe are returning post players, certainly, there are enough minutes for Combs to play 25-30 minutes a game?

I am leery of us going ultra small ball. It puts us at a major disadvantage going against bigger, more skilled teams.
    Not arguing as to what would be best for us, I'm just thinking out loud about the players' thought process. If they weren't both seniors, I would think differently about it. In any event, its just my ramblings, certainly nothing I have heard or know.

Thanks
    Thanked 21,824 Times in 5,653 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 604 Times in 285 Posts
    Sam did better at the four than he did at the three. I think Combs would work fine although he is not what he was, but maybe he can catch the genie in the bottle again. I think if you are tall and mobile he has no issue with it. Pascal Siakam at 6'9 230 played on teams he coached and would not be on the bench if he was here. I think he going to go with smaller fours than we are used to, but there is room for 6'9 centers who are mobile and both of our 6'9 ball players are mobile. What it gets down to is that speculation is fun, but we'll see how the game is played when Weir actually gets a team on the court:-)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,276 Times in 6,367 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 387 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    Not arguing as to what would be best for us, I'm just thinking out loud about the players' thought process. If they weren't both seniors, I would think differently about it. In any event, its just my ramblings, certainly nothing I have heard or know.
    I hear ya. I'm thinking if Connor gets in quick foul trouble like last year, then who do you go to? Joe? He's had some off games as well, and if so, then who? Sam? My thinking is in that case, why not go Combs/Sam as your 4/5 if you really want to play fast? That would be an ultra quick line-up. Again, worried we are trying to go way too small and it's going to bite us in the ass.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 3 Times in 2 Posts
    It depends. If you're pressing and running the opposing team, and scoring,maybe it's old also wear down teams.
    I hear ya. I'm thinking if Connor gets in quick foul trouble like last year, then who do you go to? Joe? He's had some off games as well, and if so, then who? Sam? My thinking is in that case, why not go Combs/Sam as your 4/5 if you really want to play fast? That would be an ultra quick line-up. Again, worried we are trying to go way too small and it's going to bite us in the ass.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Houston Hoop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,825 Times in 2,486 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 250 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by junior2430 View Post
    per Geoff Grammer:

[FONT="]All three players who signed National Letters of Intent to play at UNM have been granted their releases by UNM coach Paul Weir. [/FONT]#mwbb

https://twitter.com/GeoffGrammer/sta...96772713979904

Not a surprise at all.
    I wished I could say this is a big loss, but honestly I think all three are replacable. I mean they all have good size but it was another coach with another system that wanted them. I am glad that the current coach (Weir) decided to start over with his own guys. Coach Weir just moved up a couple of notches on my respect meter. I am more encouraged now than yesterday.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Hoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 151 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts
    ...Right now, only Connor and Joe are returning post players...
    Strictly as a DAD...
    Not as a fan,
    Not as a basketball subject matter expert,

I HATE THIS! Connor is NOT a post! He's just the guy that gets thrown there when all other plans do not work out. I've seen him beat his entire team running multiple Ramsey's. Those of you that got to see him at Westwind Prep know what he can do in the open floor. Some of you have gone to practice and watched him run suicides you tell me what you saw. He's on video hitting the 11'5" mark while testing vertical jump. Some of you may pile on with "lucky to have a scholarship" but I'll point out that since he had dozens of offers, hard work had more to do with it than luck. Some might point out that I'm wrong in my appraisal and I'll counter that I freely admit that I am not a subject matter expert in the paragraph above.

In the end, it is just my "lunatic dad rant" wishing out loud that some way, some how, he gets a real shot at the four. EOR (end or rant)

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by LonnyMac View Post
    I HATE THIS! Connor is NOT a post!

In the end, it is just my "lunatic dad rant" wishing out loud that some way, some how, he gets a real shot at the four. EOR (end or rant)
    BTW, when I refer to "posts" or post positions I'm speaking about both the 4 and 5 together.

"IF" Connor is put at the 4, which under previous circumstances is most likely where he plays, next to Alex or Obij, etc. However, under your scenario, who plays the 5??? Coach already sent our 3 post recruits packing and don't see any centers on the horizon???

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 409 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Strictly as a DAD...
    Not as a fan,
    Not as a basketball subject matter expert,

I HATE THIS! Connor is NOT a post! He's just the guy that gets thrown there when all other plans do not work out. I've seen him beat his entire team running multiple Ramsey's. Those of you that got to see him at Westwind Prep know what he can do in the open floor. Some of you have gone to practice and watched him run suicides you tell me what you saw. He's on video hitting the 11'5" mark while testing vertical jump. Some of you may pile on with "lucky to have a scholarship" but I'll point out that since he had dozens of offers, hard work had more to do with it than luck. Some might point out that I'm wrong in my appraisal and I'll counter that I freely admit that I am not a subject matter expert in the paragraph above.

If this is true, can you imagine any other "post" in the MWC would be able to keep up with him in a fast pace, uptempo game? The opposing team would have to be incredibly well conditioned or deep as hell at the 4-5 to keep up with your boy. Add in the fact that Connor is training at 5500 feet altitude and you start to see where his advantages playing this "new" style may make Connor a stud of studs in the conference moving forward.

Of course, we have no idea what will happen when the season rolls around, Connor may be starting point guard by then....

Thanks
    Groan
    BTW, when I refer to "posts" or post positions I'm speaking about both the 4 and 5 together.

"IF" Connor is put at the 4, which under previous circumstances is most likely where he plays, next to Alex or Obij, etc. However, under your scenario, who plays the 5??? Coach already sent our 3 post recruits packing and don't see any centers on the horizon???
    ...And there it is

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LonnyMac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 3 Times in 1 Post
    Got his bk for how long? 2 or 3 sub par seasons? It was under much pressure from players and fans that we signed Neal in the 1st place. We(fans) are so desperate for a sweet 16 we are often a contributing to players and or coaches demise in turn creating a hatred towards UNM. Whether you want to believe it or not. When things are good they are good and when things are bad they are BAAADD!! So quick to turn our backs at the 1st "sign" of failure. I am very happy we got rid of Neal, to have zero chemistry and players fearing Neal when they were on the court was unacceptable. Perfect example is Dane Kuiper, he has a pure clean stroke and is a great shooter but he spent most of the season more so 2nd half looking over his shoulder and not being able to love the game he was playing becaue he was so worried about making a mistake that it lead to a putrid showing week after week, to where it looked as if he didnt belong on highschool team much less a d1 school. We let him know that too which also helped into his demise last season, but now tht Neal is gone he is all of a sudden a huge asset to the team? What if he starts the season off cold? How long are we going to give him til we start booing him again on misses? We expect success because "UNM IS RICH IN TRADITION " yet we have never made a sweet 16? We the fans can be as much to blame as the coaches and players!
    Last edited by Jayflo505; 04-19-2017 at 03:51 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Jayflo505 For This Useful Post:

18. The Following 3 Users Have Groaned Jayflo505 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,884 Times in 2,661 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 342 Times in 115 Posts
    probably play two 4's and no 5...connor will man one of those spots and who knows about the other...
    '...the Pit is just God awful uncomfortable for a visiting team.'

...he yells, "No one comes to the hoop now, Melvin. No one!", Harv Schmidt to Mel Daniels

“They’re loud and they get on you. They know everything about you. They know your mom’s name.”, jimmer fredette.

‘We surrender. If that’s who we are, then let’s surrender,' Steve Fisher.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 409 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Welcome to the board Jay. I think the tradition is one of having 18,000 fans in the PIT for every home game and people expecting wins. When your fanbase is historically that supportive, that is considered a "rich tradition". It may not be winning, but it is fan support most people are talking about.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 163 Times in 36 Posts
    In the Weir system I think CMac will do great at 4 or 5, which I see as interchnageable

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    ....Connor may be starting point guard by then....
    Magic was 6'9"..."El Magio Blanco"

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to LonnyMac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,038 Times in 1,187 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 66 Times in 43 Posts
    Magic was 6'9"..."El Magio Blanco"
    And, Magic has nothing on your kid. ��
    “A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

26. The Following User Says Thank You to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,283 Times in 1,609 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom View Post
    probably play two 4's and no 5...connor will man one of those spots and who knows about the other...
    I was going to say the same thing. I don't know that we'll have a true center. It's probably three guards and two forwards.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 21 Posts
    I remember the one game...pretty sure the one where CMac had like 17 when he took ball at free throw line..drove and slammed ...was impressive...and was bit surprised....there's gotta be more of that in his tank.....betcha we see it this year..

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Hoops For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    IMO the Offense will be fine (after the players learn it) without a "true" 5/center. Question will be when we play a team with good large 5 can we put enough pressure on the perimeter to not let easy entry passes to the post to negate the potential mismatch on D.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,933 Times in 158 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayflo505 View Post
    Got his bk for how long? 2 or 3 sub par seasons? It was under much pressure from players and fans that we signed Neal in the 1st place. We(fans) are so desperate for a sweet 16 we are often a contributing to players and or coaches demise in turn creating a hatred towards UNM. Whether you want to believe it or not. When things are good they are good and when things are bad they are BAAADD!! So quick to turn our backs at the 1st "sign" of failure. I am very happy we got rid of Neal, to have zero chemistry and players fearing Neal when they were on the court was unacceptable. Perfect example is Dane Kuiper, he has a pure clean stroke and is a great shooter but he spent most of the season more so 2nd half looking over his shoulder and not being able to love the game he was playing becaue he was so worried about making a mistake that it lead to a putrid showing week after week, to where it looked as if he didnt belong on highschool team much less a d1 school. We let him know that too which also helped into his demise last season, but now tht Neal is gone he is all of a sudden a huge asset to the team? What if he starts the season off cold? How long are we going to give him til we start booing him again on misses? We expect success because "UNM IS RICH IN TRADITION " yet we have never made a sweet 16? We the fans can be as much to blame as the coaches and players!
    thanks? I think? Pretty harsh dude.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to WWMA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayflo505 View Post
    Actually what success has NM had on a national level?....NIT runnerup 53 years ago...some NCAA appearances...great pros?? win holiday tourneys???

Thanks
    Thanked 7,884 Times in 2,661 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 342 Times in 115 Posts
    the success UNM has had is their loyal, until recently, fan base....
    '...the Pit is just God awful uncomfortable for a visiting team.'

...he yells, "No one comes to the hoop now, Melvin. No one!", Harv Schmidt to Mel Daniels

“They’re loud and they get on you. They know everything about you. They know your mom’s name.”, jimmer fredette.

‘We surrender. If that’s who we are, then let’s surrender,' Steve Fisher.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm hoping "their 5" will get (1) too tired from running (2) tired = foul trouble (3) less minutes in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    IMO the Offense will be fine (after the players learn it) without a "true" 5/center. Question will be when we play a team with good large 5 can we put enough pressure on the perimeter to not let easy entry passes to the post to negate the potential mismatch on D.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Houston Hoop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Houston Hoop View Post
    I'm hoping "their 5" will get (1) too tired from running (2) tired = foul trouble (3) less minutes in the game.
    That certainly could happen. However, if he is truly good, it might not. However, if we press and they have less time in the shot clock, plus really pressure the ball on the perimeter so that entry passes are tough to make that is another way to try to offset an advantage the "bad" guys might have - that's a big part of pressure D not just causing turnovers. It should be fun to watch develop - I love tough D.
    Last edited by Doublealum; 04-20-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,203 Times in 1,436 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 658 Times in 200 Posts
    While this is par for the course for a new coach, it does not make it less worrisome.

Playing Weir's style, the Aggies hung with a flat Baylor team for a half, but Baylor's size overwhelmed them in the second half. UNC's size was too much for every team they faced, even the relatively large Zags.

Running a team with mostly guys under 6'9" may win a conference like the WAC, it may even give us a shot at this conference with the run and gun style -- but at the national level, the promised land the Lobos seek is still dominated by kids who are tall.

Hope I am wrong though and the fast pace translates to success..... but it is worth noting that teams in the Final Four played both BIG and FAST, and there is no substitute for height in basketball.

I guess it will come back to the obvious, are we wanting to make the Dance every year, or are we wanting to make the Dance and win games? I hope to see Weir adapt to his new conference and bring in at least a few big/tall bodies. #SizeMatters

41. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to muyguapo For This Useful Post:

42. The Following User has Groanedmuyguapo For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by muyguapo View Post
    I guess it will come back to the obvious, are we wanting to make the Dance every year, or are we wanting to make the Dance and win games? I hope to see Weir adapt to his new conference and bring in at least a few big/tall bodies. #SizeMatters
    Even bigger question, what type of program can you be? Can you be the type of program that has a wining record against other Top 25 teams like we did with Alford? Where we go on the road and actually beat Top 25 teams in "true" road games?

IMO, that is just as important as anything else, because that established what type of program you are. Has NMSU really made a name for itself getting into all these NCAA's only to get blown out once they get there? What was their seeding in the tourney based on regular season play? 14 seed? 13 seed? 15 seed? Is that our goal?

I do feel confident in one thing, Weir has repeatedly mentioned our 2012 team being our best team, and I would agree with him. 3 rotating athletic bigs, with Drew and AJ as starters. 2 Top 100 players coming off the bench. 6'7" NBA starter at your wing position. If not for Drew's injury, who knows, maybe we would have finally advanced to our first S16. If Weir can duplicate that team, then I think we would all be very happy!!!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

45. The Following User has Groanedtxlobo95 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 791 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 53 Posts
    Connor and Joe can play together and most of our best high low passes were from fursty to Connor. Both players are an upgrade in man post defense and rebounding over Obij who's one asset defensively was off the ball shot blocking. Both players foul to much and we will need depth but I like those two on the floor together.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 163 Times in 36 Posts
    Yes you might need " Big and fast " to get to the Final Four, but I don't think we expect to be a regular final four team. The Golden State Warriors without Durant played Green McCaw and Barnes / Iggy - all 6 foot 7 across the frontline and I think they did pretty good. Good players that are well coached and motivated with good chemistry will win a lot of games.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,283 Times in 1,609 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Has NMSU really made a name for itself getting into all these NCAA's only to get blown out once they get there? What was their seeding in the tourney based on regular season play? 14 seed? 13 seed? 15 seed? Is that our goal?
    Obviously the Lobos' goal is to get there with a higher seed. One reason the Aggies haven't done better in the NCAA tournament is that, by virtue of being in the WAC, they earn a very low seed, so the odds are stacked against them since they're always playing a tough, and much higher seeded opponent in the opening round.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreePointShot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,421 Times in 3,412 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 67 Times in 53 Posts
    As far as the thoughts on ConnorMac goes, I think we're making a lot of assumptions about how Weir uses his 4's and 5's. We don't know exactly how he'll use the guys he has, we just know he wants to press and play fast.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePointShot View Post
    One reason the Aggies haven't done better in the NCAA tournament is that, by virtue of being in the WAC, they earn a very low seed, so the odds are stacked against
    yes, you're right, they do get hurt a little by playing in the WAC, however, more important, as Grammer pointed out, in the last decade, they have had any "significant" victories in the OOC. I take that to mean over Top 25 teams, major road wins over NCAA level teams or any OOC tourney titles?

The reason NMSU can't get a better seed is because they don't have those signature victories to hang their hat on. Top 25 or top 50 rpi wins. We "used" to get those with regularity, however, not under Neal.

I just hope our team is constructed to beat Top 50 rpi teams on a regular basis. If we do that, then we are successful.

Thread Information