Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,543 Times in 2,892 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 419 Times in 142 Posts

maybe they should shutter the entire freakin' athletic department...

First Post Banner
    that'll save them $35-40 million...less donations of course...if they cut soccer, my donation will be reduced if not eliminated altogether...

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

3. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned zoom For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,123 Times in 7,904 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 464 Times in 260 Posts
    is there a political forum we can put all these "budget" threads into?

Seems all the boards are turning into UNM Budget Central.

Soccer actually has a lot of fans that attend games, not sure why they would cut that, except for extreme travel expenses.

Again, why can't they consolidate the jobs in the admin down to 1/2 the jobs they have now and eliminate 1mm + in salary as a great start???

Clearly, if they F'dd up the budget this bad, they shouldn't be working there in the first place.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    How about raise the student fees? They are among the lowest in the country. That's as good a place to start as any.

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

8. The Following 11 Users Have Groaned txlobo95 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 405 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 608 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txlobo95 View Post
    How about raise the student fees? They are among the lowest in the country. That's as good a place to start as any.
    Not gonna happen. ASUNM just recommended a $500k cut. The students are tapped out, Don't look for them to ride to the rescue, again.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to HoboLob0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    students are tapped out less than similar schools...

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,180 Times in 4,417 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom View Post
    students are tapped out less than similar schools...
    I know very little from a distance. I'd ask the question though of how demographics play a part in that. Compared to local economy and income, are UNM students at a disadvantage? I don't know the answer but I'd think it would be in the mix.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,348 Times in 2,607 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,579 Times in 1,955 Posts
    I have to believe they've looked at this and found that the greatest positive financial impact (other than cutting FB) will be to, unfortunately, cut soccer.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    men's soccer...one of the most entertaining of the men's programs...

US Men's National Team

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,388 Times in 7,016 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 165 Times in 95 Posts
    BTW, Aggie students pay more.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to loboray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 108 Times in 42 Posts
    All I have to say is ALABAMA has 21 varsity sports. Why in the hell do we have 22?
    our peer institutions in the MW have 17-18 on avg as reported. Not an easy solution but we should trim down on sports sponsored.
    i am curious as to what admin staff should be cut and why? I worked at UNM athletics back in the day and many staff members in marketing and sports information are grad students and interns- many of them Ive seen people here ridicule for hanging around the Pit ramp and such. I interned for $725 A MONTH! I then got a FT (and then some) position later for nearly $30k per year. Much of that staff works 40hr weeks PLUS working night and weekends at games. And not for much money, so IMO there are little to no savings to be had cutting AD staff unless things have changed and somehow they got bloated. Learfield pays for some of that staff now too.
    i think menís soccer is being considered mainly because it is not a MW sport and travel us probably an issue.
    Iíd rather have 16 sports that we can focus on and excel in than struggle financially at 22. Remember Alabama with all their $ has 21 varsity sports. Menís sports will be targeted over womenís, that is a no brainer.
    No question each sport will have to make cuts and better overall spending decisions made. I also think itís high time main campus waived tuition for athletes or at the very least charged the AD in state rates.
    Tough call, but itís time for tough decisions to be made.

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to Boomerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 53 Times in 17 Posts
    I BELIEVE IT WILL BE SKIING

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,132 Times in 3,967 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 63 Posts
    The people you would cut in the athletic department are generally not at all responsible for financial decision making--stop blaming them.

When you have vacancies in SID and marketing, how does that help bring in more people and money?

There are vacancies there already, and as a result people working 7 days a week and working until midnight, "donating" all those "voluntary" overtime hours.

You want football? I expect both men's soccer and baseball are gone in 5 years. But we will have a 7-5 football team so rejoyce.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    You want football? I expect both men's soccer and baseball are gone in 5 years. But we will have a 7-5 football team so rejoyce.
    don't want football that bad...

US Men's National Team

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,485 Times in 1,931 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 49 Posts
    What is the budget for the Men's golf team? Since they travel extensively, the travel costs must be pretty high. So, perhaps eliminating the men's golf program is a viable alternative to men's soccer.
    "Do something that helps people. Do something of service. It will always make you feel good about your life." - Robert Asbridge

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest." - Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Groan
    just have UNM take over all the facility debt, past and future...

US Men's National Team

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by elmassuave View Post
    What is the budget for the Men's golf team? Since they travel extensively, the travel costs must be pretty high. So, perhaps eliminating the men's golf program is a viable alternative to men's soccer.
    Golf has a much smaller team and you get a lot of bang for your buck. I've been volunteering for over 15 years walking with PGA pros all 5 days of each tourney, including the Wed Pro Am, and walked with almost all of the UNM alumni golfers on the pga tour. They have Lobo golf covers, other little things that fans from all over the country can see. They are like a walking billboard for their schools. Other pros do the same thing. They have strong allegiances to the school and represent while on tour.

Sometimes, there are a lot of intangile and tangible benefits of having certain teams. How valuable was it when Charlie Beljan had that run a couple years ago when his name was everywhere??? UNM's name was also everywhere and the announcers usually announce schools they came from to get on the PGA tour. So yes, there are huge marketing intangibles that I don't know how you measure.

It's a shame any teams have to be cut, but the golf team is very little cost and has huge intangible marketing benefits. Practice at UNM south is free and travel to each tourney is minimal compared to other sports. Those PGA golfers also give back to the program.

Here's another question, what if we happen to recruit a huge stud that goes on to be a Top 10 player on the PGA tour????

Lumpy, Tim Herron, really made a name for himself as well as UNM in his heyday and maybe why we had such great recruiting classes for the team?

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts
    There are going to be tough decisions all the way around. There are going to be a lot of disappointed coaches, fans, and student athletes but cutting the number of sports is step one in a complete overhaul of the Athletic Department that needs to occur. If that debt is going to be taken care of the Regents are going to want to see a plan in place to where things are stable and under control. You could probably argue this needed to occur a decade ago

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to elcorazon86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 35 Times in 18 Posts
    Bad move if they cut soccer. Not only is it a successful program, but ABQ has a strong and growing soccer community. I'll always be a New Mexico Lobo fan, but it would be a travesty to cut Men's soccer.
    CRAZYLOBO12

35. The Following 14 Users Say Thanks to crazylobo12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    big donors need to start conditioning those donations on support for specific sports just as is done with tennis...

US Men's National Team

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 7 Posts
    that'll save them $35-40 million...less donations of course...if they cut soccer, my donation will be reduced if not eliminated altogether...
    Football has proven it will never be big time, unfortunately. Yes, they'll be competitive years time to time, buy time tested it has never supported the athletic department like most programs at high profile schools. Local fans seem to rally around the underdog like soccer. I remember when they went to the NCAA final four, this town went nuts, the stadium was nearly full along the ride. Basketball used to be the staple, but our funky time zone, TV availability, and some bad decisions have set the program back a few years. You can also throw in suite-gate, Neal-golfing-gate, and 60 million in infrastructure remodeling for the PIT that did very little to enhance it from the fans perspective. Plus, I don't see the next generation of fans coming to the games, KIDs; not like when I grew up in the 70s.

The excuse that there is no money in this town is s just false. In my line of work, I see big money every day in this city. How that money is spent doesn't seem to make its way to UNM football --Chicken or Egg, doesn't seem to apply.

I spent 20 years in Austin, TX. I saw a town grow into a city. I spent 2 years in Phoenix in the early 80s, no highways to speak of but today, quite different. What is Albuquerque, a village, a town or a city (philosophically speaking)?

39. The Following User Says Thank You to AustinTLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 597 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 702 Times in 144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I know very little from a distance. I'd ask the question though of how demographics play a part in that. Compared to local economy and income, are UNM students at a disadvantage? I don't know the answer but I'd think it would be in the mix.
    There are two reasons:

1. South campus and main campus are different worlds, thus probably 98% of the student body is either agnostic or anti athletics. There is no appetite to bail out Athletics again.

2. There are a lot of mouths to feed. As you can see the requests for fees are massive. Now you can argue maybe some of these clubs/organizations/departments funding shouldn't come out of fees.

http://regents.unm.edu/meetings/docu...2018-17-04.pdf

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkside For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 636 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 24 Times in 15 Posts
    Keep Men's soccer!

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Riches6 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboaddict's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,363 Times in 2,258 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 59 Posts
    If the fans in the community had supported the revenue generating sports more, like football and even basketball the last few years, by going to the games, then none of this would be an issue right now. Seems to me that is where the blame should lie, since everyone's trying to blame someone or some other sport. Olympic sports aren't generating the revenue, so the way to make sure they stay around is by supporting basketball and football or donating. Even if football didn't exist, the olympic sports would be financially dependent on basketball, and only basketball. Imagine if that revenue stream started to dwindle significantly. Then what? It may be struggling now, but at least football has the capability of generating revenue.

45. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to loboaddict For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you TheLoboMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,442 Times in 2,168 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 532 Times in 205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylobo12 View Post
    Bad move if they cut soccer. Not only is it a successful program, but ABQ has a strong and growing soccer community. I'll always be a New Mexico Lobo fan, but it would be a travesty to cut Men's soccer.
    I love soccer.

The problem is no MWC shool plays men soccer. Hefk not many if any Big 12 schools have soccer. We play in a basically southern conference for soccer. Does the SEC have men's soccer????

By the way how does NMSU give such a high amount if student fees to athletics???

And if we cut athletics all together that money does not go to the University. Most of that money comes from outside sources for athletics.

Again let's see how many departments are as self sufficient as athletics is at UNM. Let's see how many departments at other schools are as self sufficient as athletics are.

The sad thing is that at UNM educational departments depend heavily on tax oayeriney and student tuition to run. Schools like NMSU and NM Tech have faculty members who go out and raise money to support their departments. UNM does very little of this. Athletics budget is 80% funded on its own at UNM. Why are we even complaining about this so called deficit???? If ASUNM paid their fair share of student fees like their peers do then we wouldn't have these issues. ASUNM sure knows how to throw a student tailgate with United We Rage.

UNM athletics does a hell of a job raising money and not having to ask the school and state for money to operate. USA Today has figures on how much money athletic department use of school and tax payer money and how much of their budgets are self funded. UNM is one of the best.

Again. Athletics is the front door to a university. It's where most of the money comes from in inkind donations to the schools general fund. There is facts behind that. Therre is a reason every school except for schools like MIT have football. Football is proven to be the best party atmosphere to bring in companies and donors to ask for money for the general University fund and research. Just because our University doesn't have this power program doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Basketball does not generate this kind of atmosphere. Yes it is our number one sport but football is the best place to hold fundraisers. Ask why NMSU built a special suite in football in the east side of their stands??

47. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to TheLoboMan For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboaddict's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,363 Times in 2,258 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 59 Posts
    that'll save them $35-40 million.
    It would save them about a million or two per year at most. The expenses would go away, but so would the revenues, so whatever their deficit is each year is what they would save.

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to loboaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,893 Times in 3,824 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 240 Times in 153 Posts
    Cutting football would kill the basketball program. Would be sent to the WAC or a similar conference. Then everything goes down hill. Football is mandatory for a school like UNM.
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,452 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 242 Times in 120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoboMan View Post
    I love soccer. The problem is no MWC shool plays men soccer.
    AFA, SDSU, UNLV, and SJSU all have men's soccer programs. SDSU competes in the Pac-12 and the other three are in the WAC.
    Last edited by pitforever90; 6 Days Ago at 10:48 AM.

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to pitforever90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 653 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 222 Times in 79 Posts
    At the risk of generating a factory of growns, I think it's important to take a realistic look at the economics of the state, the school, the conference, and the realities of Title IX and its impact on the landscape of college athletics (good or bad).

The reality is that the Directors' Cup was Paul Krebs' baby. He liked the notoriety of having UNM finish relatively highly and it sounds/looks good in terms of perceptions of the athletic program, which in turn reflected well on him. It also, probably fit the pie in the sky narrative that UNM might be considered to be a Pac-12 school at some point.

That being said, there were a series of terrible financial decisions which were made under his tenure. There was borderline loss of financial institutional controls in MBB (P-Card madness) and an overall system which wasted UNM's finite athletic resources. There are salary redundancies due to poor hires/contracts and their subsequent buyouts. etc.

Eventually, you have to pay the piper. If UNM drops football, they might as well join the Big Sky or WAC right now. UNM is one of only 3 MWC schools which funds 18 MWC men's and women's sports. One of the other schools is AF whose athletic budget is entirely subsized and financied through the Federal Government. The only other schoool with 18 sports is Fresno and they are having similar financial problems to UNM. This doesn't include Men's soccer (UNM is one of only 5 MWC teams to field a men's soccer team). UNM is also one of only 3 schools to have a women's beach volleyball team.

So, cuts need to be made. The bulk of them are not going to come from the 10 women's sports because of Title IX. That's a reality. So that leaves some really hard decisions to make in regards to men's soccer, golf, skiing, tennis, cross-x, and likely women's skiing, and beach volleyball. Eventually the bill comes due. We are a poor state with minimal private sector industry and next to no big money boosters. These are the realities of where we are and the decisions the new AD and president need to make. We can't just pretend like they don't exist because we like X, Y, or Z sport.

54. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to TheDamnFans For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNM Class of 1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,595 Times in 3,647 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 592 Times in 283 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loboaddict View Post
    If the fans in the community had supported the revenue generating sports more, like football and even basketball the last few years, by going to the games, then none of this would be an issue right now. Seems to me that is where the blame should lie, since everyone's trying to blame someone or some other sport. Olympic sports aren't generating the revenue, so the way to make sure they stay around is by supporting basketball and football or donating. Even if football didn't exist, the olympic sports would be financially dependent on basketball, and only basketball. Imagine if that revenue stream started to dwindle significantly. Then what? It may be struggling now, but at least football has the capability of generating revenue.
    I plead not guilty as a season ticket holder for Men's basketball, football, an Olympic sports Pride Pass. The only one I did not have season tickets for was women's basketball but I did attend more than a few games each of the past several years.

That said, you are right. Unfortunately, some programs will be eliminated. Life is not fair and four things are certain. Men and women's basketball teams will remain, football will remain, and few, if any, women's program will be eliminated. If we are to remain members of the MWC, or have any future in a better conference, those four things are a necessity. If I were AD those would be my first priorities and I believe I am on the same page as UNM.

Some people were not happy when gymnastics, baseball, women's basketball, and wrestling were eliminated. Baseball and women's basketball eventually returned but I do not hear people screaming to reinstate gymnastics and wrestling. Why should they when very few major sports colleges field teams for those sports? They now have to fill their D-1 conferences with D-2 and D-3 schools that play basketball and football programs.

I do not envy Nunez, the Prez and the regents. I have made tough budget decisions as an administrator in my life and would not want to be in their shoes. Deep down I believe that universities should not field any intercollegiate teams but that is the way we do it in America and it would be suicide if as a major research institution and flagship university to be the lone ranger on this issue. As long as major college sports exist then I want UNM to be a part of it.

I will try to keep quiet on which sports I would put on the chopping block as I am just another opinion. I do attend a lot of baseball and soccer games but I do not think they should be taken off the table for consideration. My only priorities are to protect football, basketball (both teams), and comply with Title IX. Not protecting those sports are a deal breaker for me. For me no basketball, no season football tickets for me. No football, no season basketball tickets for me.

56. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 22 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacesells View Post
    Cutting football would kill the basketball program. Would be sent to the WAC or a similar conference. Then everything goes down hill. Football is mandatory for a school like UNM.
    In the MWC, the only team we have a winning record over in football is Utah State. By two games.

I could absolutely understand your point if UNM had even a mediocre football program or if football drew large support from the students, but neither are true. It is difficult enough getting 15,000 people in the stadium students or otherwise- and that's with inexpensive tickets (in respect to prices at other institutions- not trying prey upon anyone's income. Lord knows I am no P. Diddy) and all free hot dogs you can fit in your mouth.

On the rare, and I mean rare, occasion we are rewarded with a bowl game- the grand prize is the New Mexico Bowl. All things considered, would it be worse if we moved to a conference we could be more competitive?

Throwing extra money at football for the sake of saying we have football is ridiculous IMO.
    Last edited by LoboUtah; 6 Days Ago at 12:35 PM.

58. The Following 5 Users Have Groaned LoboUtah For This Un-Useful Post:

Thread Information