Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,862 Times in 336 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 430 Times in 115 Posts

Credit when it's due!

First Post Banner
    Earlier this season on TV, Radio, and Lair I said UNM would have a succesful season if:

finish in top 4
    NIT bid at least
    No February Flame outs

i think it is safe to say UNM is accomplishing 2 out of the 3 with potential post season bid as well!

throw in Williams injury and Craig Neal has this team playing good basketball. Players seem to be responding to adversity. I know season isn't over, but you have to give credit when earned! And thus far this team, Neal, and his assistants have earned their props

Thanks
    Thanked 3,938 Times in 949 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeRoyLucero View Post
    Earlier this season on TV, Radio, and Lair I said UNM would have a succesful season if:

finish in top 4
    NIT bid at least
    No February Flame outs

i think it is safe to say UNM is accomplishing 2 out of the 3 with potential post season bid as well!

throw in Williams injury and Craig Neal has this team playing good basketball. Players seem to be responding to adversity. I know season isn't over, but you have to give credit when earned! And thus far this team, Neal, and his assistants have earned their props

Looks like somebody got "lucky" last night.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to yooperlobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    No just giving an honest opinion and evaluation thus far I really like the Lobos 1-2 punch when it comes at the PG. Aget and Logwood have elevated their game. Jefferson looks really good, EB seems to have played some better defense as has the rest of the team. If McDugal comes around this team could be okay.

Like me I said it can all change next game but the past couple of games they have done well

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to LeeRoyLucero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,172 Times in 753 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 116 Times in 60 Posts
    No just giving an honest opinion and evaluation thus far I really like the Lobos 1-2 punch when it comes at the PG. Aget and Logwood have elevated their game. Jefferson looks really good, EB seems to have played some better defense as has the rest of the team. If McDugal comes around this team could be okay.

Like me I said it can all change next game but the past couple of games they have done well
    This team could be okay? I'm pretty sure they are better than okay. Only 1 game out of first place

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to UNMLoboFan1 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Jeffinthe505's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,294 Times in 2,930 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 226 Times in 127 Posts
    Honestly, it has been a "happy accident" that we have been forced to use the four guard lineup.
    It has allowed Sam to play a more natural position, Dane has emerged, Jaylen, Damien and Jordan are all thriving to a large degree and have made very valuable contributions. Even Obij has responded in a very positive way.
    I really hope we get Williams back before the conference tournament but I have lots of hope watching the stud, youngsters begin to break out and shine.

Go Lobos

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to Jeffinthe505 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,421 Times in 3,412 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 67 Times in 53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffinthe505 View Post
    Honestly, it has been a "happy accident" that we have been forced to use the four guard lineup.
    It has allowed Sam to play a more natural position, Dane has emerged, Jaylen, Damien and Jordan are all thriving to a large degree and have made very valuable contributions. Even Obij has responded in a very positive way.
    I really hope we get Williams back before the conference tournament but I have lots of hope watching the stud, youngsters begin to break out and shine.

Go Lobos
    So will we see the 4 guard lineup continue as it has been after Tim's return? I hope so, and I think so. I also know coach likes his bigs and that there will be games ahead when having a more true 4 and 5 could help us. Especially if O can keep playing with such gusto after Tim's with him in the post. Just thoughts...

Go Lobos. Beat Fresno!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you pitwolf83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,858 Times in 1,903 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 167 Times in 85 Posts
    Nice post LeeRoy. Glad we're discussing this teams sucess. Let's keep this thing rolling into march!

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you wallyhopp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,983 Times in 4,146 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 103 Times in 49 Posts
    You seem too rollercoaster happy. No offense. but just based on your threads created. Youd think youd be level headed by now.. Eating crow? Not eating crow? Laughing about it? Its all the same crap.

SORRY

Your thread makes sense and the thanks show up. But the history behind it all reeks of self recognition

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to wallyhopp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,119 Times in 701 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 187 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMLoboFan1 View Post
    This team could be okay? I'm pretty sure they are better than okay. Only 1 game out of first place
    No, right now they are okay....losing to san jose and unlv at home make things just okay at this point....1 game out of first place in a terribly weak conference....also makes them okay at this point, but they are trending in the right direction....

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to masslobofan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,119 Times in 701 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 187 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yooperlobo View Post
    Looks like somebody got "lucky" last night.
    sometimes better to be lucky than good....

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyhopp View Post
    You seem too rollercoaster happy. No offense. but just based on your threads created. Youd think youd be level headed by now.. Eating crow? Not eating crow? Laughing about it? Its all the same crap.

SORRY

Your thread makes sense and the thanks show up. But the history behind it all reeks of self recognition
    Whatever dude. Could care less what you or anyone thinks really. I call it like I see it and do it one game at a time. Not saying Neal is great. Not saying this team is great. It is a crappy conference with very mediocre teams but it is bette to be on top of mediocrity then the last few years of being in the Middle or the bottom. Also this years Lobo team had February Flamed out thus far.

If they stink I'm not gonna blow smoke up your tailpipe and tell you they are good. Flip side if they are playing well give credit.

Ypu up can read or don't read, agree or disagree... that's the great thing about giving an opinion everyone's got one and you can disregard others whenever you want

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to LeeRoyLucero For This Useful Post:

20. The Following 6 Users Have Groaned LeeRoyLucero For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Jeffinthe505's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,294 Times in 2,930 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 226 Times in 127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    So will we see the 4 guard lineup continue as it has been after Tim's return? I hope so, and I think so. I also know coach likes his bigs and that there will be games ahead when having a more true 4 and 5 could help us. Especially if O can keep playing with such gusto after Tim's with him in the post. Just thoughts...

Go Lobos. Beat Fresno!
    I honestly don't know what will happen when/if Tim returns.
    I would call this a "quality problem" as it now really makes us a multi-dimensional team. Hopefully, it makes it that much harder to prepare for us as well.

I know it might sound a little weird but I would love to see the 4G lineup with TW healthy. I think, the way its trending now, that could be a dangerous look in certain situations.

Like I said...these are the problems a team wants to have...minus the injuries, of course.

GO LOBOS

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffinthe505 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Oregon Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,654 Times in 2,129 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 106 Times in 68 Posts
    I would call this a "quality problem" as it now really makes us a multi-dimensional team. Hopefully, it makes it that much harder to prepare for us as well.

I know it might sound a little weird but I would love to see the 4G lineup with TW healthy. I think, the way its trending now, that could be a dangerous look in certain situations.

Like I said...these are the problems a team wants to have...minus the injuries, of course.

GO LOBOS
    This gives the team options. If you can be effective in more than one style of play, other teams have a hard time preparing for you. Or, if they shut down one style, you switch to the other. Of course, it’s hard to practice two styles of play, but if you become good enough at both—watch out!

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Oregon Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 791 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post

Go Lobos. Beat Fresno!
    Cant give Neal the a pass on starting a guy for much of the season at the 3 that cant dribble. We played some winnable games and under performed. Sam looks much better playing the 4 but TW will start at 4 and Obij at 5 in the event TW returns. It will be interesting to see if he moves Sam back to the backup 3 or if he learns and that second unit is a smaller unit with SL at 4 and TW/Joe at 5. Joe gives us some good rebounding and energy and has earned his minutes.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LSUextreme For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,554 Times in 5,847 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 138 Times in 97 Posts
    While I do appreciate the OP, I can understand others frustration as the characterization has been the worst coach ever at UNM, dumpster fire, etc. I even wonder if this is realistic, or if I should be waiting on the punch line or the other shoe to fall. LOL

FWIW, I'm taking it at face value and appreciate LeeRoy for taking a bit of a step back and at least saying this.
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobodawg92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 279 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 84 Times in 25 Posts

finish in top 4
    NIT bid at least
    No February Flame outs

Very low expectations for a successful season in my book. That sounds like a San Jose St goal for a successful season.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNM Class of 1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,609 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 492 Times in 243 Posts
    I do not give Leroy any credit. He has burned all of his bridges. He just wants attention like a little rolly polly baby that has been ignored by the grown ups.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,421 Times in 3,412 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 67 Times in 53 Posts

GO LOBOS
    I'm hoping for 4 guards and Tim at least some of the time. Though O lurking by the basket is a little more potential when going with 4 guards. Coach has shown better adjustments this year than previously so I'll bank on him figuring out the adjustments when Tim comes back. Until then, let the small ball roll. It's been nice. And it will be a bonus at Fresno I believe.
    Last edited by Scott; 02-17-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: lurking

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,266 Times in 3,181 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 156 Times in 104 Posts
    I have been off the grid for a few days, and wasn't even able to watch the game except for catching the last few minutes. Last game I was in the pit, Lobos lost to BSU to start a terrible February decline. I was really concerned, especially given Tim is out and our less than stellar play in the Pit -- wow, when I saw the score I was thrilled. I didn't even realize we had a much larger lead and had lost it, so that didn't even bother me.

The 4 guard thing is working, and I hope we don't just fall into our old play when Tim returns, but what do I know? -- really, just want them to play with energy and win, like I know this talented team is capable of.

I am really hoping this year, they make my trip to Vegas worth it -- I paid twice as much this year to be there as last year!

Bucking the Feb Swoon can be the trademark of this team -- it would definitely be memorable. Keep it going Bos!!
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

34. The Following User Says Thank You to timvracer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,854 Times in 2,500 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 262 Times in 109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyhopp View Post

SORRY

Wally you hit the nail squarely on the head with this post.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Hoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 163 Times in 36 Posts
    Maybe I was looking through the rose colored glasses thinking we would do better, but I think Leroy had more realistic projections for this year and it's not a bad season. I still think we can win the tournament.

CMac seems to have so much ability, but the fouls make it hard for him to settle in. Hoping next year with a longer leash he can fulfill the potential. Plus the guy is a stud at the line.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,554 Times in 5,847 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 138 Times in 97 Posts
    Funny about the 4 guard line up. That was something hated when McKay was here running it. Sam at a 4 is probably a better position for him offensively, as he is quicker than most 4's and doesn't have to have the handles of a 3. FWIW, Dane could use a little work on his handles as well.

I think the real bottom line is that we are happy with whatever is working, and think coaches are idiots when it doesn't. LOL
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Lobodawg92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    So a week later....

we arent in the top 4.
    NIT bid is dead
    mwc championship dead

still have a chance for NCAA... win the tourney.

Gonna have to say I'm not feeling very confident

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to LeeRoyLucero For This Useful Post:

42. The Following User has GroanedLeeRoyLucero For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 66 Times in 22 Posts
    The Lobos are still tied for 4th right now (with SDSU) and two games left. They beat Wyoming and Suds and they hold that spot solo. They lose one and they probably end up 6th. Those are both winnable games. Let's see how they respond to last night. Go Lobos.

Thread Information