Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: ZANE JOHNSON

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Yakkacat25's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,192 Times in 3,162 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Groan
    Groaned 24 Times in 19 Posts

ZANE JOHNSON

First Post Banner
    Former Arizona Wildcat has decided to transfer to Hawaii over UNM and BYU. Zane took a visit to Honolulu this past weekend. Zane did not take any recruiting visits to UNM or BYU. It should come as no suprise to UNM fans I'm sure. I did not get the impression that UNM had any room for him without him walking on.
    Last edited by Yakkacat25; 06-17-2009 at 08:45 PM.

"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents"

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thanks to Yakkacat25 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMStorm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,125 Times in 2,180 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Groan
    Groaned 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Did UNM offer him? The comment "over UNM" implies that he had a choice of Hawaii and UNM and he chose Hawaii or was the choice to walk-on to UNM or go on scholy to Hawaii?

--Stand TALL or don't stand at all

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Yakkacat25's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,192 Times in 3,162 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Groan
    Groaned 24 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NMStorm View Post
    Did UNM offer him? The comment "over UNM" implies that he had a choice of Hawaii and UNM and he chose Hawaii or was the choice to walk-on to UNM or go on scholy to Hawaii?
    I was told UNM and BYU had interest in bringing Zane in. Whether it was his choice to walk-on or not is another story. Ultimately Hawaii was a better fit for Zane at this present time...is how it was explained to me. That's why I said it really should not come as any suprise to UNM fans.

"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Yakkacat25 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMStorm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,125 Times in 2,180 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Groan
    Groaned 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakkacat25 View Post
    I was told UNM and BYU had interest in bringing Zane in. Whether it was his choice to walk-on or not is another story. Ultimately Hawaii was a better fit for Zane at this present time...is how it was explained to me. That's why I said it really should not come as any suprise to UNM fans.
    Thank you.

--Stand TALL or don't stand at all

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to NMStorm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 54,942 Times in 12,878 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 703 Times in 411 Posts
    I doubt UNM offered. Alford is not into transfers.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 99 Times in 40 Posts
    I will say I'm glad he didn't end up at BYU. I didn't want to see him making 3-point shots against the Lobos.

By the way can we get a thread going looking at the other teams in the MWC.

I'd like to know more about who's coming in, leaving and how things are shaping up at the other schools, and folks opinions about them.

Everyone says UNLV and SDSU loaded up. I'd like to know more, because I think we're in better shape than either of them.

They are both going to be very young at guard, and we'll have a lot more experience at that position. We'll be young, but most of are youth will be at post, and Rusher will essentially be a 21-y-o freshman.

Also more about Utah, BYU. Especially Utah: I think they're headed for a major fall in conference, but would like to know more.

Thanks
    Thanked 54,942 Times in 12,878 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 703 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboColo View Post
    I will say I'm glad he didn't end up at BYU. I didn't want to see him making 3-point shots against the Lobos.

By the way can we get a thread going looking at the other teams in the MWC.

I'd like to know more about who's coming in, leaving and how things are shaping up at the other schools, and folks opinions about them.

Everyone says UNLV and SDSU loaded up. I'd like to know more, because I think we're in better shape than either of them.

They are both going to be very young at guard, and we'll have a lot more experience at that position. We'll be young, but most of are youth will be at post, and Rusher will essentially be a 21-y-o freshman.

Also more about Utah, BYU. Especially Utah: I think they're headed for a major fall in conference, but would like to know more.
    We'll probably still have to face Johnson, as I believe Hawaii makes a return trip to the Pit in a couple of years.

SDSU and UNLV will have a lot of talent, but SDSU will be real young and trying to integrate a bunch of new guys. UNLV has some headcases (not a surprise with so many transfers) and still has issues up front. Kruger can coach, but you don't know how all those personalities will mesh. It didn't work last season. I think UNM has the best combination of talent, experience and coaching of the three right now. Our depth is also pretty darn good. Consider that Nate Garth may be the most talented PG in the entire conference and may not even start for us. The keys as far as new guys are Hobson and Rusher, but those are two immensely talented players who aren't exactly spring chickens. There will be an adjustment period, but you have to believe that Alford and Co. will get a lot out of them. Also look for big improvement from guys like McDonald, Brown and Hardeman and we have proven leadership in Martinez and Gary.

BYU has to be the favorite with so much coming back. I would consider us #2 at this time. Utah is definitely set up for a step back considering all they lost.

Right now, I think the early picks would be like this:

1. BYU
    2. UNM
    3. UNLV
    4. SDSU
    5. Utah

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to LoboMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 99 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboMike View Post
    We'll probably still have to face Johnson, as I believe Hawaii makes a return trip to the Pit in a couple of years.

SDSU and UNLV will have a lot of talent, but SDSU will be real young and trying to integrate a bunch of new guys. UNLV has some headcases (not a surprise with so many transfers) and still has issues up front. Kruger can coach, but you don't know how all those personalities will mesh. It didn't work last season. I think UNM has the best combination of talent, experience and coaching of the three right now. Our depth is also pretty darn good. Consider that Nate Garth may be the most talented PG in the entire conference and may not even start for us. The keys as far as new guys are Hobson and Rusher, but those are two immensely talented players who aren't exactly spring chickens. There will be an adjustment period, but you have to believe that Alford and Co. will get a lot out of them. Also look for big improvement from guys like McDonald, Brown and Hardeman and we have proven leadership in Martinez and Gary.

BYU has to be the favorite with so much coming back. I would consider us #2 at this time. Utah is definitely set up for a step back considering all they lost.

Right now, I think the early picks would be like this:

1. BYU
    2. UNM
    3. UNLV
    4. SDSU
    5. Utah
    Wyoming I think will pass Utah for 5th, but they also lose their guards.
    I think we have the team to take BYU with what they have coming back. Not sure about their returning missionaries. I don't think their recruits will be of any help next year.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to LoboColo For This Useful Post:

Thread Information