Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you PackLobo23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,371 Times in 4,833 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 566 Posts

Am I crazy to think...

First Post Banner
    THat an elite eight is not only possible but very doable? Our region sets up perfectly for it. I know we have to get through game by game, but does anyone outside Kentucky scare you in this region? I would have to say no... that doesnt mean there are not talented teams in the region that could jump up and smack us , but on paper Im extremely encouraged.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,016 Times in 1,664 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 109 Times in 71 Posts
    It's tourney time, the 4th season of the year, so I do prefer game by game as they all scare me. However, I do like our bracket.

First game - Montana. If you look at their schedule, they were not really blown out and can win on the road. Okay their schedule may not be as strong, but they appear to be one of those scraper type teams that could dictate tempo, like a AFA or CSU. Though a 14 seed they know how to spell t-r-o-u-b-l-e.

Marquette / Washington - Marquette - everyone says they have good guards. Washington, coming on strong at the end of year.

WVA rolls through the Big East with a very experienced Huggins.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Groan
    Groaned 26 Times in 8 Posts
    Look, the East bracket is loaded with tough teams. There are more landmines in it than the Korean DMZ. That said, I say final four. Easy.

First off, there's Montana. It's Montana! Probably the toughest game that UNM will play all season. Grizzly bears are scary! Then a probable match up with Marquette. Golden Eagles. Sure, that sounds impressive, but gold is a very soft metal. Sink some Lobo teeth in and they'll go right through. Now the next game could be ruinous. A possible game with West Virginia. I don't think that'll happen, however. WVU has to play Morgan State in the first round. Now I'm not sure how Morgan got a state named after him, but I hear it's wedged in somewhere between Maryland, Washington D.C. and Boise state. The Mountaineers had better be better than Grizzly Adams, because there's more Bears! Now to the top half of the bracket. Sure, there's Kentucky, but I'm taking Cornell to come out of there. A rough and tumble club, but I hear they have some crazy mid terms coming up right before the East finals, so they'll be off their game.

See? Easy as cake.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chuckddd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 643 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 8 Posts
    West Virginia is the toughest team in the East bracket, I dont buy the hype on Cousins, and Wall isnt always clutch, he had enough tries vs Miss St and Cousins bailed him out. WVU has 6 Buttas.....

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,392 Times in 7,973 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 467 Times in 261 Posts
    Let's not look ahead to any sweet 16 match-ups until we actually get there, and if we get there.

Just want these guys to concentrate 100% on what is directly in front of them which is Montana and if we win either Marquette or Washington, which both would be a very good competitive game.

first and forest a win over the Grizzlies so I can watch them play a 2nd game. Will make the cost of the airline that much more worth it to see 2 games.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,346 Times in 723 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 43 Times in 21 Posts
    I honestly think we will be in the Final 4 with the bracket we have in front of us....but that being said...one game at a time.
    RustyTX

WOOF WOOF WOOF

Thanks
    Thanked 6,760 Times in 1,694 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboCubs23 View Post
    THat an elite eight is not only possible but very doable? Our region sets up perfectly for it. I know we have to get through game by game, but does anyone outside Kentucky scare you in this region? I would have to say no... that doesnt mean there are not talented teams in the region that could jump up and smack us , but on paper Im extremely encouraged.
    Right now I don't even want to contemplate anything beyond the Montana game. My very first year as a Lobo fan was when the Lobos were in the top 5 in the nation and were heavy favorites against unranked and unheralded Cal State Fullerton in the NCAA tourney. Everyone had dreams of a possible Final 4 and it all evaporated quickly one afternoon when the underdogs kept hitting jump shot after jump shot.

I understand why it's hard not to speculate about what could be for the Lobos in the Big Dance this year. It's tempting and exciting. But it sort of reminds me of the posts on here just before conference play about going undefeated in the Mountain West, followed immediately by two successive conference losses to open the MWC season.

I'm just thinking about Thursday and hoping the Lobos play one of their best games of the year so that we can then begin worrying about the next opponent in Marquette or Washington.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to ThreePointShot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great post ChuckDDD... made others in my office wonder why I was laughing.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,155 Times in 3,369 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 165 Times in 108 Posts
    Cal State Fullerton... that name has haunted me for my entire life. I do NOT want to add Montana to that. LOBOS, be strong and play HARD and LOOSE - that Fullerton game had huge implications for Lobo basketball for years. If the BO's just do their thing, there should be no problem, but they MUST play that super fast and hard DEFENSE.

We are where we are at because of DEFENSE and REBOUNDING - that is the formula for success, if they do that, offense will come.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to timvracer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,020 Times in 864 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Amen, timvracer! In both MWC tourney games I really felt that our guys tried to force offense too much from time to time. Some ill-advised shots, sluggish motion against the zone, etc. Seems to me that the concentration needs to be on getting stops, and getting out in transition. In the half-court, patience and solid shot selection is a key - we do very well on the offensive glass, but quick threes when nobody is in position down low do not usually lead to second-chance points.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LoboLaw For This Useful Post:

Thread Information