Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,714 Times in 2,796 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 245 Times in 104 Posts

Ignorance abounds: A "friend" of mine watched the game last night and e-mailed me

First Post Banner
    Anyway, he has not watched the Lobos play at all this season until last night. I am wondering if any of you have to defend the Lobos against the ignorance that exists out there.

This was his e-mail:

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 9:41:41 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
    Subject: Re: They dodged a big one

I have just seen last night's game and I think any objective observor would agree that they looked really flat and not good the first half. Then they had a great surge right after the second half began and let Montana come back. They were lucky to win last night. It could have easily gone the other way. They will likely be heading home Saturday I'm afraid.

This was my reply:

Your e-mail and comments made me laugh. You obviously don't know much about the Lobos. Last night they were matched up against a style of play that simply takes them out of their rhythm, a ball club which plays ball control and slows down the tempo. Credit to Montana...they had a good game plan and almost pulled off the upset. Did the Lobos come out flat in the first half...no doubt. Is a game comprised of one half or two? It is comprised of two last time I checked.

The Lobos were lucky? That is, with all due respect, an ignorant statement. Especially coming from someone who does not understand the intricacies of the game nor the season the Lobos have played thus far, a season I might add that is still not over. Montana's season is over thanks to the Lobos.

Was it lucky that Montana was in the game in the first place? No...that would be just as ignorant of a statement to make. I would argue Montana made the plays to be in the game and had an excellent game plan. But it still wasn't enough against a tough and gritty NM team that had an off night, but still refuses to give up . Lobo teams of the past would have lost last night, not this one though.

Credit New Mexico, the Lobos MADE plays to win that game, they weren't lucky in the least . Martinez and Gary made many clutch offensive plays, Gary playing with more guts than I have ever witnessed in a post-season game by a Lobo. Hobson had a double-double...after getting injured! Also, the defense the Lobos played in the second half was incredible, especially compared to how they played in the first. They shut down Montanas leading scorer to 2 points until late in the game where he ended up with like 6...he averages 19...were the Lobos lucky or did they shut him down? They shut his ass down!

You sound a little like the biased east coast media who never even watch the Lobos play, yet will make these similar misguided comments based on one game.

The Lobos are 30-4! Read that again 30-4! That is one of the 3 best records in the country. They are ranked 8th in the nation. They do what it takes to win.

If they lose, they are out...as is every other team that loses. Only one team goes home without a loss in this tournament...I guess they are lucky too!

Now, I am not ignorant...this is the NCAA tourney..ANYTHING can happen in ONE game. That is what makes it "March Madness". Villanova, Tennessee, BYU, and Washington also won very close games yesterday...were they all lucky ? Or do they get credit for making the plays to win the game, but the Lobos don't? It is extremely myopic to base your assessment of the Lobos on only ONE game. But, when that is all you watch (and you obviously don't care), that is all you "see".

I am saddened that you are not more proud of them man. Especially being a New Mexican and UNM alum. They have had a magical season. So although my comments may come across a little harsh to you, I am simply defending the fact that they have done what no other team in 107 years of Lobo basketball has done before them...they have won 30 games and can still win more! The previous record was 28 games...they have eclipsed that and are still alive.

Now, knowing you, you may have sent this e-mail just to piss me off because you really don't care about sports. Newsflash: It didn't work! I am not pissed off. I am LOVING this season. It has been awesome for a diehard fan like myself and nothing anybody says can diminish the season they have had. And if they lose on Saturday of course I will be disappointed...but it still will not diminish the direction our program has taken.

Go Lobos!

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Garishwolf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,207 Times in 8,337 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Groan
    Groaned 86 Times in 66 Posts
    Our LOBOS know how to win close, all year.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL LOBOS

"Lord keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth."

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Garishwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice response!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to LoboNYC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 435 Posts
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Groan
    Groaned 25 Times in 9 Posts
    If it were me I wouldn't have wasted that much of my own time responding to a "friend".
    ...take the time to pull the weeds choking flowers in your life

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to PitCrowd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by PitCrowd View Post
    If it were me I wouldn't have wasted that much of my own time responding to a "friend".
    Um...nevermind!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pjamj For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you wallyhopp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,484 Times in 4,333 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 145 Times in 64 Posts
    funny. Wofford is playing Wisconsin tight right now. Siena came back against Purdue. 4+ minutes without a point for Purdue to close out the game.

Flashy , pretty, uptempo will be seen soon enough.

UNM @ UNLV ANYONE?
    UNM@ BYU ANYONE?
    and early in the year UNM vs. TEXAS A&M

those were some high caliber uptempo games

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMStorm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,125 Times in 2,180 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Groan
    Groaned 92 Times in 56 Posts
    LOL...you sure "worded" him to death. He's robably regretting he ever e-mailed you.

I've found that the vast majority of so-called "college basketball fans" know next to nothing about New Mexico basketball and are very quick to dismiss UNM regardless of the outcome.

--Stand TALL or don't stand at all

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by NMStorm View Post
    LOL...you sure "worded" him to death. He's robably regretting he ever e-mailed you.

I've found that the vast majority of so-called "college basketball fans" know next to nothing about New Mexico basketball and are very quick to dismiss UNM regardless of the outcome.

LOL...point well taken...you don't know my friend though...I had to ensure he understood....kind of like explaining something to a two year old.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to pjamj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,464 Times in 4,358 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 879 Times in 459 Posts
    No way can you luck your way into 30 wins.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMStorm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,125 Times in 2,180 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Groan
    Groaned 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VWolf View Post
    EXACTLY!!!

It's funny that at halftime of our game last night the studio commentators were talking about how we were over-seeded. When Georgetown and Vanderbilt lost they didn't say anything about those two teams being over-seeded. Why not??? How can we win and be over-seeded but Georgetown lose and not be (and to an Ohio team that is't as good as Montana)? Those east coast guys don't even try...

--Stand TALL or don't stand at all

Thanks
    Thanked 5,838 Times in 556 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 9 Posts
    I've posted this before some time ago, but my nephew graduated from Villanova last year. He played varsity lacrosse and is a rabid sports/college basketball fan. He is friends with Scottie Reynolds and some other current players on the team. Every Christmas he comes to visit and brings my son and I a duffel bag full of Villanova warm-ups, jerserys, etc. that his friends on the basketball team give him. He watched his first Lobo game while he was visiting over Christmas and was very impressed. He has since watch them 3 more times, twice during the regular season and then again last night. All along he has said that on any given night he felt like the Lobo's could beat anyone in the big East, except maybe Syracuse. He likened them to Pitt talent and athleticism. So, for all those that say that there is an east coast bias, it's nice to know that there is at least one person back there among the many millions who recognizes and acknowledges the great talent and play of Lobo basketball team. As a side note, I got an email from him last night when Hobson injured his wrist. The email said, "your done." Hey, what does my nephew know!!!

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 8 Times in 7 Posts
    LoboGator, I am going to send this to some of my "friends" as required reading. Excellent post/response

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Loborama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 207,438 Times in 26,750 Posts
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Groaned 917 Times in 483 Posts
    You guys have no idea how many have come up to me wanting to talk Lobo hoops. I love it. But, its a little frustrating when they say "how do you think they would play against one of the big teams like Duke or North Carolina (Guess they dont know about how bad they suck) or one of those teams". That I hate.
    #UNMerciful

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Garishwolf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,207 Times in 8,337 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Groan
    Groaned 86 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loborama View Post
    LoboGator, I am going to send this to some of my "friends" as required reading. Excellent post/response

Give em hell amigo............................lol,,,,,,,,,GO LOBOS!!!!

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL LOBOS

"Lord keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth."

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Loboexpat's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 3,680 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPitSea View Post
    You guys have no idea how many have come up to me wanting to talk Lobo hoops. I love it. But, its a little frustrating when they say "how do you think they would play against one of the big teams like Duke or North Carolina (Guess they dont know about how bad they suck) or one of those teams". That I hate.
    Give them one of my favorite comebacks about a potential match-up: "We'd drop half a hunderd on 'em by halftime." ;)

Elegantly simple, direct and arrogant.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Loboexpat For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Yakkacat25's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,192 Times in 3,162 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Groan
    Groaned 24 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VWolf View Post
    Not to mention games in the tournament are not easy. Nova had thier hands full with thier game as well. With UNM winning thier first round game the young guys will settle in tomorrow and play a great game. It happens. The hardest one to win is that first round game. Survive and Advance. Who cares how much UNM won by it's still a W. I expect UNM to comeout playing really well tomorrow. It's too hard to know how good will be tomorrow. Every game is different. Especially for this team being as young as it is they are gaining valuable experience. UNM needs to play thier game and they will be fine.

"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents"

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Yakkacat25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 100 Times in 31 Posts
    If you had to pick a team that's more likely to win on Saturday, which would you pick? UNM or Cornell?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ps5335 View Post
    If you had to pick a team that's more likely to win on Saturday, which would you pick? UNM or Cornell?
    Hard to say because Wisconsin plays a similiar style to Cornell. As where UNM can grind it out and run. I would pick UNM because they can adapt to a slow pace or up-tempo. I did have Cornell beating Temple

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakkacat25 View Post
    Hard to say because Wisconsin plays a similiar style to Cornell. As where UNM can grind it out and run. I would pick UNM because they can adapt to a slow pace or up-tempo. I did have Cornell beating Temple
    It's an interesting call...the way Cornell played today they look almost unstoppable, even against a team like Wisconsin (maybe not against a team like Kentucky). UNM on the other hand squeaked one out, had their best player injured, and has had difficulties with very athletic teams this year (SDSU). UNM-UW is 3/11, Cornell/Wisconsin is 12/4, but I feel more confident in Cornell's chances...

...just another example of how even the field is this year.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ps5335 View Post
    It's an interesting call...the way Cornell played today they look almost unstoppable, even against a team like Wisconsin (maybe not against a team like Kentucky). UNM on the other hand squeaked one out, had their best player injured, and has had difficulties with very athletic teams this year (SDSU). UNM-UW is 3/11, Cornell/Wisconsin is 12/4...that is a perfect example of how even the field is this year.
    A win is a win in the tournament if it is 20 points or 5 points. Nova had a tough one as well as did some others. To me seeds do not mean much. It's all about how teams match-up. UNM will be ready for Washington. UDUB has a tendency to be careless with the ball at times. We will see.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakkacat25 View Post
    I missed Cornell over Temple. I didn't think an Ivy League team that barely beat Princeton could beat the A-10 Champ. Temple just looked off today, they had no offensive rhythm whatsoever and what was up with their defensive game plan? They played right into Cornell's hands.

Roob
    Gator, you need to find some new friends.

Thread Information