Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
ESPN Albuquerque 101.7

Thread: So, now ......

Thanks
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 749 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 135 Times in 39 Posts

So, now ......

First Post Banner
    Do we sign a big guy who's never made a visit (Pelle or someone else), or do we wait to see what happens this summer in hopes of getting a fall enrollee who can play right away after becoming eligible (Pelle?).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 571 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 228 Times in 73 Posts
    I'm holding out hope that the reason they haven't announced Pancake's signing yet is that they're waiting to make the announcement today or tomorrow along with another player. Preferably a post man.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,357 Posts
    My Mood
    Confused
    Groan
    Groaned 71 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_for_life View Post
    Do we sign a big guy who's never made a visit (Pelle or someone else), or do we wait to see what happens this summer in hopes of getting a fall enrollee who can play right away after becoming eligible (Pelle?).
    "I don't know."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 428 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 29 Times in 8 Posts
    Lets sign Pelle! He would do great under alford!

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesw505 View Post
    I'm holding out hope that the reason they haven't announced Pancake's signing yet is that they're waiting to make the announcement today or tomorrow along with another player. Preferably a post man.
    Certainly is interesting that there's been no UNM release of information yet.

We'll see.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you LoboAuto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,287 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Groan
    Groaned 55 Times in 38 Posts
    We need another big man. I'm sure coach has somebody in mine.

JOHN 3:16
    WE ARE NEW MEXICO !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,603 Times in 530 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 42 Times in 21 Posts
    It doesn't sound like Pelle will be eligible next season. Unless Alford has something up his sleeve this summer, it sounds like we'll have that extra scholarship. Personally instead of saving that scholarship for later, we should sign Pelle no matter what and take a chance on him. This might not be an option though because didn't he already sign a LOI to St. John's and might not be able to sign with a school until he's academically qualified?

I say try to go after Pelle because we need more depth in the frontcourt. If that doesn't pan out, save the scholarship for next fall and try to bring in a midseason impact transfer. If that doesn't work out then save it for a 2013 high school recruit... But that's just my two cents.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FONZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 426 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 25 Times in 17 Posts
    I feel like we need some more depth in the front court. Cam is going to be a beast and Kirk will help us with his versatility, but after that the ranks get pretty thin. I would rather see a Juco big be able to give us some quality minutes rather than hope we don't have to deal with foul trouble or have to rely on a freshman to step up when it counts.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 88 Times in 26 Posts
    Forget about Pelle--He will never be eligible anywhere.

Will probably end up reclassifying to next year, fail to qualify again, then opt to play overseas ball.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelworks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 281 Times in 26 Posts
    If I was Nick Banyard and reading this board I would be wo˝dering what the hell is going on. I would be remembering my head to head encounter with the guy who got away - WS - and how I whipped his butt.I would be aware of how an Aussie frosh saved the LOBOs bacon early in the season and ended up as the starting point guard. I am going to surprise you doubters. Just give me a chance.

13. The Following 18 Users Say Thanks to indwelling3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by indwelling3 View Post
    If I was Nick Banyard and reading this board I would be wo˝dering what the hell is going on. I would be remembering my head to head encounter with the guy who got away - WS - and how I whipped his butt.I would be aware of how an Aussie frosh saved the LOBOs bacon early in the season and ended up as the starting point guard. I am going to surprise you doubters. Just give me a chance.
    It's been my expectation that he'll fit in right away. From playing on the team that he did, he understands what it means to fill an athletic role on a winning team.

In an ideal world, however, we could use an athletic, ready-to-play, inside scorer, defender, and rebounder. Nick is more of a face-up kind of guy, which we will also need right away.

The Lobo Lair Chosen Burro lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,368 Times in 3,794 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 22 Times in 17 Posts
    I'm with you indwelling, Banyard was a great pickup and he will help as a freshman, too many want Rices problem with too many studs and no playing time, give me Alford and quality players who want to work and earn their time, our coach and players will do well! Williams is no slouch either and Aget will have a lot of work, but he will get there, now add Pancake to the batter.....er mix and I'm getting excited!

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Burro lobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you MacLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,923 Times in 2,779 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 163 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indwelling3 View Post
    True! I think it's mostly just off season jitters from most fans (myself included). I have no doubt Nick will be a solid contributor to our squad. I think my biggest concern is having one our bigs getting hurt. That'll mean going from having a junior starter w/frosh back-up to having a frosh starter with frosh back-up. Obviously not the most ideal situation, but one that I'm sure Nick could handle. Yes, Hugh played great as a freshman, but that's usually the exception, not the rule. Shoot, look at J. Franklin. Hardly had any impact as a freshman, and went on to be POY as a sophomore. There's a lot of learning in that first year....

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 19 Posts
    Nick Banyard is the recruit I am most excited about. He sounds like a versitle big man with skill. I think the rest of our recruits are pretty average. Devon Williams sounds like he could be a real sleeper, and is more of the type of player we should be recruiting, an athlete with length.

Thanks
    Thanked 34,399 Times in 8,296 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 338 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WayDownTown View Post
    Nick Banyard is the recruit I am most excited about. He sounds like a versitle big man with skill. I think the rest of our recruits are pretty average. Devon Williams sounds like he could be a real sleeper, and is more of the type of player we should be recruiting, an athlete with length.
    Banyard should clearly be the newcomer with the most immediate impact (of the guys we have signed right now).

D. Williams could be another Tony Snell. Supposedly has guard skills and a good outside shot. He'll need to bulk up, though. A redshirt would be good for him.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 19 Posts
    LoboMike, I have always respected your insite. What is your opinion, if any, of Pancake? Didnt seem like he was highly recruited, and from what little video I have seen of him, he looks like a tweener guard. He didnt look particularly quick, hasnt displayed great handles or outside shot, looked solid going to the rim but not sure what he really adds to the team. Wish Alford and co would step up the recruiting of more talented players. What ever happened to LJ Rose? I thought we were recruiting him pretty hard.

Thanks
    Thanked 34,399 Times in 8,296 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 338 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WayDownTown View Post
    LoboMike, I have always respected your insite. What is your opinion, if any, of Pancake? Didnt seem like he was highly recruited, and from what little video I have seen of him, he looks like a tweener guard. He didnt look particularly quick, hasnt displayed great handles or outside shot, looked solid going to the rim but not sure what he really adds to the team. Wish Alford and co would step up the recruiting of more talented players. What ever happened to LJ Rose? I thought we were recruiting him pretty hard.
    I don't think Pancake adds much to a team with Kendall, Hugh, Tony, DWalk and Jamal initially. Those guys are clearly way ahead of him to start out. I like his potential, though. I like that he's not small, seems pretty strong. He'll need to get in here and really work on his skills. Going up against those guys in practice every day will make him better and he will improve a lot just from that. There weren't really any guards out there who could come in and compete with those returnees for playing time, but if this kid is willing to come in and learn, put in the hard work, then that's really all you could ask for. I could see him being a factor in a couple of years if he is patient and works his tail off.

I think we could really use another athletic big man for depth and competition. I still have hope that it could somehow happen. Otherwise, it's all up to Alex, Cam and two freshmen.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you COLOLOBO's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,624 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 435 Times in 154 Posts
    I would bet the reason that there hasn't been an official announcement regarding Pancake from UNM is that they are waiting on another signing. Now that doesn't mean that they have someone else in the fold but they are really on someone and that someone is choosing between the Lobos and another school and hasn't signed on the bottom line as yet for either school. And another possibility is that they have signed another recruit and they do not have the LOI in their hands so they can’t comment yet. Tomorrow we will know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 571 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 228 Times in 73 Posts
    Here's hoping

Thanks
    Thanked 6,373 Times in 1,539 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 44 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COLOLOBO View Post
    I would bet the reason that there hasn't been an official announcement regarding Pancake from UNM is that they are waiting on another signing. Now that doesn't mean that they have someone else in the fold but they are really on someone and that someone is choosing between the Lobos and another school and hasn't signed on the bottom line as yet for either school. And another possibility is that they have signed another recruit and they do not have the LOI in their hands so they canĺt comment yet. Tomorrow we will know.
    Are you surreptitiously trying to feed us secret info from the Top Secret board????? You're gonna get a spanking!
    But, of course, if that's what you are looking for, there's nothing wrong with that.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,825 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 78 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WayDownTown
    Wish Alford and co would step up the recruiting of more talented players. What ever happened to LJ Rose? I thought we were recruiting him pretty hard.
    These kind of comments annoy me. We were/are close to shep/January/pelle. We ARE recruiting these guys, but they are not wanting to come here or aren't eligible etc (remember j Henry, a top 100). We can call someone like shabazz/rose every day, doesn't mean they're gonna come to UNM!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to feez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 305 Times in 102 Posts
    Banyard should be upset after reading some of these posts.

Fans get so needy at times that they feel their own inferiority complexes are more important than supporting our players and believing in our staff so they have to post their fears and doubts online. Then if there is any trouble on the team it is always the coaches' fault and never the fans for posting backhanded compliments to our own players and inadvertently creating confidence issues for our young men on the court.

I'll gladly have "faith" in our coaches who have proven to be the best UNM has had yet.

Many of our fan critics aren't qualified to wash the team manager's jockstrap...
    GO LOBOS!

Thread Information