Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 619 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 37 Times in 26 Posts

This is a copy and paste, so forgive me.....

First Post Banner
    I haven't posted in a while, but it seems appropriate to do so now, given what I've read over the last few hours.

As a Lobo fan living in Tucson, I have many discussions with my friends both back in Albuquerque and here in town about how the Lobos have landed a good coach in Bob Davie. I have to agree that he is indeed a good coach, and while he has been out of the coaching game for a few years, he still has a good understanding of what he needs to do to field a competitive football team.

When coach Davie took over last year, he was very clear in his discussions with the media, players and administration, that it will take time to rebuild a system that works like he wants it to work. I think people have forgotten those discussions that happened just last year.

I believe we have taken the "2 steps forward, 1 step back" approach that coach Davie warned us about last year. In 2012, we took 2 giant steps forward by having a relatively competitive team in most games based on an old, but proven option offense and a new defensive scheme that is somewhat workable with the personnel we had/have.

This year, we have taken the 1 step back (we aren't 1-5, but we aren't 5-1). My thought is that coach Davie knows this is a confused team. What I mean by that is there is a bigger vision of how this team will operate in the longer term, as far as offense and defense, but the Lobos are squarely in the transition and there isn't anywhere to hide. Mixing systems never works and we are seeing that now.

This year will be ugly (not 1-11 ugly, but ugly nonetheless).

I predict next year, 2014, will be the next 2 steps forward year, with vast improvements over this year and 2015 will show what our long-term system will be (ala, Texas Tech, Boise State, Oregon, etc).

I don't expect coach Davie to tip his hand this year, but I believe the recruits over the next 2 years develop the foundation and set the stage for longer term success.

I could be way off base here, but I don't think so. All in all, we are about where I believed the Lobos would be 2 years into a new coach, who came in with a 2 year "let's be competitive" plan and a longer term "let's build a program with my system" plan.

Good luck to coach Davie and the Lobos and I look forward to the recruiting results over the next few years.

GO LOBOS!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 2,339 Posts
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Groan
    Groaned 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Thanks. I remember how he warned us that it will not be pretty building a football almost from scratch and having to play very good competitive teams. We will get there later but not sooner.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to datildame For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,917 Times in 1,052 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 152 Times in 71 Posts
    Absolutely. People keep forgetting that Davie never promised a winning season off the bat. He promised to BUILD A PROGRAM, which means 5-10 years before we are competing for our conference title and/or national ranking. I do believe he will deliver. It just takes time.

Recruiting is the KEY for now. We have got to recruit players that are D1 caliber. Our recruiting grounds are starting to get established in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arizona... we just need to get the highest quality guys from those states to come here. Bashing our program and Coach will not do it. I think this past year's recruits are going to be great, but he Redshirted most of them... which is a good thing. Yeah, they could have helped us out on the field in our games this season, but we want them for 4 more years and giving them a year to grow and learn the system is BETTER in the long run.

If all you care about is the W on the scoreboard, then you are going to be disappointed this year. We are building a PROGRAM, not just looking for W's. Five years from now you are going to look back and say... wow, it is tough but I was there in the beginning and watched it happen! Be proud of our team and the coaches NOW, and when the W's start coming you can brag you were a part of it.
    Robin - yes, I am a female sports fan!

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to ABQrobin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 2,339 Posts
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Groan
    Groaned 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Well said, Robin

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to datildame For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,548 Times in 860 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 1,026 Times in 211 Posts
    cmon Alf.....come up with some original material....

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,308 Times in 6,317 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 159 Times in 108 Posts
    I liked it, but hey, I'm a homer! LOL
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

If your considering getting a TESLA, please PM me! I may have a discount code.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 619 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 37 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    I haven't posted in a while, but it seems appropriate to do so now, given what I've read over the last few hours.

As a Lobo fan living in Tucson, I have many discussions with my friends both back in Albuquerque and here in town about how the Lobos have landed a good coach in Bob Davie. I have to agree that he is indeed a good coach, and while he has been out of the coaching game for a few years, he still has a good understanding of what he needs to do to field a competitive football team.

When coach Davie took over last year, he was very clear in his discussions with the media, players and administration, that it will take time to rebuild a system that works like he wants it to work. I think people have forgotten those discussions that happened just last year.

I believe we have taken the "2 steps forward, 1 step back" approach that coach Davie warned us about last year. In 2012, we took 2 giant steps forward by having a relatively competitive team in most games based on an old, but proven option offense and a new defensive scheme that is somewhat workable with the personnel we had/have.

This year, we have taken the 1 step back (we aren't 1-5, but we aren't 5-1). My thought is that coach Davie knows this is a confused team. What I mean by that is there is a bigger vision of how this team will operate in the longer term, as far as offense and defense, but the Lobos are squarely in the transition and there isn't anywhere to hide. Mixing systems never works and we are seeing that now.

This year will be ugly (not 1-11 ugly, but ugly nonetheless).

I predict next year, 2014, will be the next 2 steps forward year, with vast improvements over this year and 2015 will show what our long-term system will be (ala, Texas Tech, Boise State, Oregon, etc).

I don't expect coach Davie to tip his hand this year, but I believe the recruits over the next 2 years develop the foundation and set the stage for longer term success.

I could be way off base here, but I don't think so. All in all, we are about where I believed the Lobos would be 2 years into a new coach, who came in with a 2 year "let's be competitive" plan and a longer term "let's build a program with my system" plan.

Good luck to coach Davie and the Lobos and I look forward to the recruiting results over the next few years.

GO LOBOS!!!!!

So this is a little old from last year, but I think this newest recruiting class affirms what I thought and wrote last season when things were going a little sideways. This class brings in some talented youngsters and some very necessary JUCO transfers to fill key spots. I like what I see so far and can't wait for next season to start already!!

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to apenland01 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you COLOLOBO's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,355 Times in 2,450 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 562 Times in 234 Posts
    We will perform much better on defense this year and if the offense does not slip we will be in a lot of games this year and I think we will get our share at least that is what my crystal ball says. Seriously, we got a chance in most games this year and who knows.............

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to COLOLOBO For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Bullchuter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,638 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 232 Times in 109 Posts
    An item worth mentioning is the fact that Coach Davie has surrounded himself with some dedicated staff that are in tune with his understanding of how to develop a program. Coach Debesse, Lenzmier, Cosgrove and others I fail to mention deserve a pat on the back for getting better athletes over some difficult recruiting circumstances. It must be hard to try to recruit top-notch calibre players when the program was on its back. Yet, those recruiting efforts are beginning and will continue to come through. I'm in agreement that it will take at least two more years of agressive recruiting ventures to get to a real viable product. My two year expectation is that we will then have a solid foundation in place to see the rewards of Coach Davie's plan to make the Lobos a championship team.
    I trust that us Lobo fans will appreciate and support the program to its fullest. Patience will pay off, Believe me...It Will!!!!
    GO LOBOS!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bullchuter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,010 Times in 429 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 32 Times in 10 Posts
    If our offense maintains the level of production of the last couple of years, we don't need to have a great defense. If we even have an average or slightly below average defense that may give up yards, limits big plays, turns the ball over, and makes key stops, we should be bowl bound.

Thread Information