Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
ESPN Albuquerque 101.7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lobos vs. KU

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 35 Times in 15 Posts

Lobos vs. KU

First Post Banner
    Now that today's game is over let's start talking about KU. I feel the week off to prepare is going to do the Lobos a world of good. I just hope they don't come out flat in a hostile environment. I do feel that playing in Kansas City is a plus though considering that Fog Allen would be a 100x's more hostile. Also, Kansas has a very tough stretch of games. Lost today to CU on the road, turn around and play @ Florida in 3 days and then go to Kansas City for a "neutral" site game against a rested Lobos in 4 days. That's a hell of a 7 day stretch. If Florida beats KU I think they'll be fired up to get back in the win column against the Lobos but I'm not sure how well they'll respond being that they'll have no rest. Lobos definitely need to keep pounding it inside and test the KU bigs. If our inside out game is clicking and we play D like we did today I feel we win. Definitely like the shortened rotation Coach is implementing. Need Cullen, DD and Nick to keep giving quality minutes on both ends of the floor.
    Last edited by Tugev1; 12-08-2013 at 12:13 AM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to Tugev1 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Digital Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,378 Times in 7,133 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 390 Times in 245 Posts
    I'm not sure what to make of KU. They beat Duke and their heralded freshman, Jabari Parker in impressive fashion. And then they have lost to very tough 'Nova and Colorado teams. They also won a bit of a squeaker against a UTEP team which was swept by the Aggies.

This will be a tough match up for the Lobos in what is jokingly being referred to as a "neutral court".

My niece is a graduate from Kansas and her and my sister and her husband bleed rock, chalk, Jayhawk and man, would I ever love to see them have to bow down to the wolf if the Lobos can pull this game out which I definitely think is possible.

I still remember when UNM and KU were both recruiting Phillip McDonald and the trash that their arrogant fans had to say about the Lobos. Hence I really want this one bad.

A mile high and louder than howl

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,702 Times in 852 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 21 Times in 15 Posts
    Looking forward to the Kansas scouting report this week. Some media folks think this may the best team in the country, so it's a great chance to see how we stack up. I told my family that if we beat Kansas we end this stretch 5-0. Don't see how it happens any other way. My only concern is that if they lose to Florida and then we beat them that it'll be three losses in a row, they'll drop far in the polls and the result loses some of its luster. But I'll take the win and the ramifications however they come. It would still be a quality win come March, no matter where they're ranked!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zoukmaster For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you GiJoeRay's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 686 Times in 255 Posts
    Kendall needs to step it up. Kansas will gameplan against Cam and Alex, Kendall can't disappear. I said before that this stretch of games will determine KW's NBA hopes. Yesterday didn't help his cause. Kansas will be on a much larger scale. Hopefully he shows up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GiJoeRay For This Useful Post:

9. The Following 14 Users Have Groaned GiJoeRay For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,224 Times in 1,712 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GiJoeRay View Post
    Kendall needs to step it up. Kansas will gameplan against Cam and Alex, Kendall can't disappear. I said before that this stretch of games will determine KW's NBA hopes. Yesterday didn't help his cause. Kansas will be on a much larger scale. Hopefully he shows up.
    I don't totally disagree with you, but I believe that NBA scouts are more sophisticated than the average fan when evaluating talent. Hence, defense, tempo control and other factors will be part of the KW profile. You can bet that former Toronto scout, Craig Neal will be pointing those things out. Hell, if Bennett can go #1 . . . .
    Get real. Donate those skinny pants to Goodwill.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to ThickLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,180 Times in 2,253 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Kendall had a great defensive game, those in the NBA I am sure are aware of that as well.

13. The Following 16 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 68 Times in 47 Posts
    As long as he remains consistent this season the scouts will be intrigued. I say that but working your butt off for the combine does you wonders as well ask Tony Snel as his stock rose. Then again Bennett was hurt the entire time before the draft and goes #1 based on his athleticism and scoring range in college, but now he's not athletic enough for the Association and also out of shape. It's like people thinking Bhullar is getting drafted. Umm no he might get picked up as an experiment but he's not a basketball player with his weight in today's fast paced league. All I'm saying is everything is so unpredictable so any chance you can get to make a good impression is key.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nickgallegos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickLobo View Post
    I don't totally disagree with you, but I believe that NBA scouts are more sophisticated than the average fan when evaluating talent. Hence, defense, tempo control and other factors will be part of the KW profile. You can bet that former Toronto scout, Craig Neal will be pointing those things out. Hell, if Bennett can go #1 . . . .
    The NBA more than any other league drafts based on upside. Bennett is pure upside. Kendall is a senior, seniors don't have much upside due to age. Look at the recent history of great college seniors and their NBA careers. JJ Redick, Jimmer, Nolan Smith, Hansboro all great college players and haven't done much in the Association. Damion Lillard not included as his career is still fresh.

Thanks
    Groan
    The NBA more than any other league drafts based on upside. Bennett is pure upside. Kendall is a senior, seniors don't have much upside due to age. Look at the recent history of great college seniors and their NBA careers. JJ Redick, Jimmer, Nolan Smith, Hansboro all great college players and haven't done much in the Association. Damion Lillard not included as his career is still fresh.
    My boy Lillard as I'm a Blazer fan is incredible. Last night he hit a sweet 3 point tying shot and had 32 points on the night before the Mavs won on a last second shot. Damian was only a redshirt Junior though. Essentially a senior though in terms of age haha

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to nickgallegos For This Useful Post:

The Lobo Lair Chosen PreLawLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,791 Times in 788 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 23 Times in 17 Posts
    So you have no more upside at 22 compared to 21? The reason there are so few seniors drafted is because anyone that could get drafted at a younger age bolts immediately. Williams will do fine as long as he impresses at the combine, which he will.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to PreLawLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by PreLawLobo View Post
    So you have no more upside at 22 compared to 21? The reason there are so few seniors drafted is because anyone that could get drafted at a younger age bolts immediately. Williams will do fine as long as he impresses at the combine, which he will.
    In the scouts eyes yes. I read the GMs actually prefer the 21-22 year olds who their is less risk with they know what they are getting as opposed to playing the lottery with the younger players. I personally don't understand it myself that well

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to nickgallegos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by PreLawLobo View Post
    That kind of goes to point with KW not being an NBA player. Last year was a weak draft and he didn't go... Consistency is the key, although the 46 pointer was nice, 5 of the next 8 games were sub 10. The age matters because of the wear on the body, and the ability to recover quickly from the beating it will take during the NBA season.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 9 Posts
    How does being one of the main press-breaking ball handlers and locking down their best guy not help?
    @LocoLobo79

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to Lobo79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Defense was great. But I'm talking about his future. He needs to be a consistent scorer. Especially against KU, Marquette and the conference's upper tier teams. From Cincy to Marquette on the schedule is his chance to prove on a national stage that he deserves to be considered a first rounder. Two weeks to really make a name for himself outside of the MWC.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    To bring the thread back around. I think KU will give the Lobos more trouble in the interior than anyone they have faced thus far. Wiggins gets a ton of attention but Perry Ellis is a nice interior player. This will obviously be tough but will make it so much sweeter if the lobos win!
    "We played a team that played better than anyone we've played to date. They beat us. I don't think we lost." -Steve Fisher

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to thedanimal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,146 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 73 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgallegos View Post
    As long as he remains consistent this season the scouts will be intrigued. I say that but working your butt off for the combine does you wonders as well ask Tony Snel as his stock rose. Then again Bennett was hurt the entire time before the draft and goes #1 based on his athleticism and scoring range in college, but now he's not athletic enough for the Association and also out of shape. It's like people thinking Bhullar is getting drafted. Umm no he might get picked up as an experiment but he's not a basketball player with his weight in today's fast paced league. All I'm saying is everything is so unpredictable so any chance you can get to make a good impression is key.
    I'll bet you a beverage Nick. I was right on Snell when everyone else was doubting him, and I'll be right on Bhullar. I'm not saying he's going to be great or anything. I'm just saying that at 7-5 someone's going to take a chance. Keep in mind that he'll probably be viewed only as a situational player, ie- for a last second shot he wouldn't be a bad person to put in on defense. Also he's only a sophomore, so he will get better.

Thanks a lot Nick. You made me defend an aggie now I feel dirty. I'm out. I need a shower.
    "Bring It Home Kid", Coach Craig Neal

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMerciful_1 View Post
    I'll bet you a beverage Nick. I was right on Snell when everyone else was doubting him, and I'll be right on Bhullar. I'm not saying he's going to be great or anything. I'm just saying that at 7-5 someone's going to take a chance. Keep in mind that he'll probably be viewed only as a situational player, ie- for a last second shot he wouldn't be a bad person to put in on defense. Also he's only a sophomore, so he will get better. Thanks a lot Nick. You made me defend an aggie now I feel dirty. I'm out. I need a shower.
    I dont know I can see the upside but as I watched Bhullar this past week he seemed too out of shape to make an impact. That certainly can change but while he's at state will it? Okay okay what's the bet that he will get drafted or that he will get picked up to be on some bodies summer league team. I bet he won't make the impact needed on summer league to make a 15 man roster for an NBA team

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to nickgallegos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    I dont know I can see the upside but as I watched Bhullar this past week he seemed too out of shape to make an impact. That certainly can change but while he's at state will it? Okay okay what's the bet that he will get drafted or that he will get picked up to be on some bodies summer league team. I bet he won't make the impact needed on summer league to make a 15 man roster for an NBA team
    The bet is he will be drafted. Now there's a high probability that he will be a bust, but a lot of 2nd round picks never pan out. So I'm not saying that he'll make any impact at all, just that some team will take the chance.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Okay deal and to be fair more than half the first rounders are a bust too

36. The Following User Says Thank You to nickgallegos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    That kind of goes to point with KW not being an NBA player. Last year was a weak draft and he didn't go... Consistency is the key, although the 46 pointer was nice, 5 of the next 8 games were sub 10. The age matters because of the wear on the body, and the ability to recover quickly from the beating it will take during the NBA season.
    KW will be the same age as Snell was when he was drafted, so I don't think age will be much of a factor. I also don't buy your consistency argument. He led the league in assists. Points aren't the end all be all that some fans like to pretend they are. Kw's overall game was very consistent. I think the thing that will hurt him more than his age will be the strength of this draft class. In a normal year I think he's a late 1st, but he's probably a middle 2nd in this upcoming draft.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,797 Times in 1,796 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 51 Posts
    I'll bet you a beverage Nick. I was right on Snell when everyone else was doubting him, and I'll be right on Bhullar. I'm not saying he's going to be great or anything. I'm just saying that at 7-5 someone's going to take a chance. Keep in mind that he'll probably be viewed only as a situational player, ie- for a last second shot he wouldn't be a bad person to put in on defense. Also he's only a sophomore, so he will get better.

Thanks a lot Nick. You made me defend an aggie now I feel dirty. I'm out. I need a shower.
    Ick
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Bullchuter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,875 Times in 1,808 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 101 Times in 65 Posts
    If Bhuhllar can continue to improve as he did from his freshman year , I would think that his upside is still to be reached. He definitely will receive some NBA attention. At 7'5", that's not very common at all, He may never be a stud in the NBA but he might be a very contributing player if he is able to get in better shape and improve on his shot making.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Bullchuter For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,797 Times in 1,796 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 51 Posts
    The bet is he will be drafted. Now there's a high probability that he will be a bust, but a lot of 2nd round picks never pan out. So I'm not saying that he'll make any impact at all, just that some team will take the chance.
    I DEFINITELY want some of this action. Your arguments on Kendall are intriguing, but Bhullar? I'll give you 2 to 1 that Bhullar does not get drafted for the NBA. He is simply waaaay too slow and ineffective inside, he would get eaten alive. I have been watching several State games this year, and in no game has he even shown the potential to dominate (and at 7'5, if he is not dominating weaker teams in college, then I don't see how he makes a dent in the league).

Then again... I could be wrong, but I'd put some donuts on it.
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to timvracer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 10 Times in 4 Posts
    Snell wasn't particularly consistent offensively in college either. What he was was a hard worker, teachable, and hard-nosed defensively. Kendall just needs to do what he is doing.

45. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to tannji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,541 Times in 314 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts
    This game vs. Kansas is going to be so fun to watch. I can't wait to see who will Guard Andrew Wiggens, and I am excited to see the match up between Alex, and Cam vs. Perry Ellis, Joel Embiid. Their bigs are skilled but ours are too with a lot more strength. They recently bumped a Freshman to Starting PG so that tells me they are struggling to find true leadership.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobosteve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,486 Times in 1,443 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 244 Times in 105 Posts
    Honestly, KU looks a lot more vulnerable than I thought they would. I recorded the Buff/Jayhawk game and watched it last night. CU has a nice team this year, but KU beat themselves a lot with flat out lazy defense. If we get the KU team that played against Colorado, I think we have a legit chance. Maybe not a great chance, but a chance. The difficulty, is that this will essentially be a road "neutral game," not the home game that CU had the luxury of playing.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to PTR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by PTR View Post
    Honestly, KU looks a lot more vulnerable than I thought they would. I recorded the Buff/Jayhawk game and watched it last night. CU has a nice team this year, but KU beat themselves a lot with flat out lazy defense. If we get the KU team that played against Colorado, I think we have a legit chance. The difficulty, is that this will essentially be a road "neutral game," not the home game that CU had the luxury of playing.
    Will try our best to make it as neutral as possible. We are in a first row of upper deck so I'm hoping to hang our Lobo and state flag off of a rail if possible

51. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to nickgallegos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,486 Times in 1,443 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 244 Times in 105 Posts
    Will try our best to make it as neutral as possible. We are in a first row of upper deck so I'm hoping to hang our Lobo and state flag off of a rail if possible
    Bring the noise!

If UNM pulls this out, you can make the argument that you were at the biggest non-Pit win in Lobo basketball history. That's awesome.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to PTR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by PTR View Post
    Bring the noise! If UNM pulls this out, you can make the argument that you were at the biggest non-Pit win in Lobo basketball history. That's awesome.
    That's the plan!

55. The Following User Says Thank You to nickgallegos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 770 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 32 Times in 25 Posts
    What do you mean yesterday didn't help his cause? Unlike most fans, scouts look at more than just points scored. KW certainly helped himself in scouts' eyes yesterday.

57. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to jbarr For This Useful Post:

Thread Information