Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
ESPN Albuquerque 101.7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noodles

Thanks
    Thanked 158,202 Times in 22,290 Posts
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Groaned 513 Times in 307 Posts

Noodles

First Post Banner
    I said this before the season. I don't think we would win as many games had Alford been here. There was always going to be a learning curve with Noodles. You just don't walk into a job first year and expect everything to go perfect. Up to this point hes shown growth like many of the players of the team. Everything is just flowing much easier where earlier in the year it looked more mechanical. Come MWC this team is going to be humming.
    #UNMerciful

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Digital Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,410 Times in 7,140 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 391 Times in 246 Posts
    If the Lobos continue their trajectory, as in previous seasons, of getting stronger as the conference season wears on, everybody tighten your chin straps on cuz it's gonna be a whole lotta fun.

A mile high and louder than howl

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 251 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 8 Times in 6 Posts
    What has impressed me over the last month, even with the UNLV loss, is that we continue to improve. The team looks more stable, the newcomers are getting more confident and contributing more, and Neal himself seems to be growing as an in-game coach. He has made effective adjustments in game planning, the players have more clearly defined roles, and his rotations are more clear. We could certainly be playing our best ball at the end of the year.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Laszlo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 34 Times in 10 Posts
    Thats the whole point! Peak at the right time!

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to LoboofLondon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    That's an interesting thought experiment - the established head coach vs. the new one. I don't know that I necessarily thought that we'd win more games with Noodles, but I never really believed there would be much drop-off either. Some growing pains, sure. We've all seen them in both the staff and the players, and they were to be expected. But everything seems to be coming together very nicely, with the team gelling and Noodles working out the kinks in his game-planning and substitution patterns (and by extension, the players learning their roles). One thing that was never in doubt, and that they've proven repeatedly, is that these guys are tough as nails and never quit. I think all these close games are great prep for tourney time, and that when it rolls around, they'll be battle-tested and ready for anything.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Lost_Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,779 Times in 1,751 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 125 Times in 52 Posts
    biggest difference noodles has to deal with is the bench...from my view it is much weaker than last year...starters are going to have to log more minutes which could wear them down...
    '...the Pit is just God awful uncomfortable for a visiting team.'

...he yells, "No one comes to the hoop now, Melvin. No one!", Harv Schmidt to Mel Daniels

“They’re loud and they get on you. They know everything about you. They know your mom’s name.”, jimmer fredette.

...Bobby Knight was screaming at his starters for being late. "We're getting our #!&$@$ kicked! Because you were late!".

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you SpanaBaller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,040 Times in 1,420 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 1,631 Times in 369 Posts
    When comparing Alford and Noodles

I think Alford's defense first mindset experience would have gotten us past NMSU and UNLV at home. Alford wouldn't have accepted losing to them or allow us to get behind so fast in the 1st half. Alford knew what a timeout was and when to use it. Noodles's inexperience cost us those two games.

HOWEVER.......I think positives of Noodles was that he was key in getting us past CSU today with his strategies at the end of the game. Playing CSU w/o Kirk is a tough task and Neal came through. Also the team isn't as tense as in yrs past. I think Noodles taking the team to an NBA game shows the gratitude side of him which is cool. Positives with Noodles is we got Cullen Neal who I think has an edge over Bryce.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SpanaBaller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by SpanaBaller View Post

I think Alford's defense first mindset experience would have gotten us past NMSU and UNLV at home. Alford wouldn't have accepted losing to them or allow us to get behind so fast in the 1st half. Alford knew what a timeout was and when to use it. Noodles's inexperience cost us those two games.
    Ummm.. Alford had his share of blowout losses to the Aztecs, Rebels and Billikens.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

16. The Following User has GroanedDigital Lobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,549 Times in 1,427 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 49 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Lobo View Post
    Ummm.. Alford had his share of blowout losses to the Aztecs, Rebels and Billikens.
    Not to mention poor performances against Harvard and Washington in the NCAA tournament. When it really matters. Hopefully Neal does better in those situations.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to loboaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just so everyone knows... Coach Neal will be one of the best! We bet our second born on it. ��

Thanks
    Thanked 6,224 Times in 1,712 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Noodles coached his ass off tonight. He was on top of every situation and did it with so much more class than Ewsticky.
    Get real. Donate those skinny pants to Goodwill.

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to ThickLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by WWMA View Post
    Just so everyone knows... Coach Neal will be one of the best! We bet our second born on it. ��
    And you won't regret it! It will be a match made in Lobo Heaven!!!

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 344 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    We are looking at a nine man rotation now. I think by this time Alford would have shortened it even more. I like that Neal is looking to keep starters' minutes a little less so that they don't get worn down. That always hurt us come NCAA tourney time in the past.

And it seems like Neal is able to make adjustments more quickly when something isn't working. The game yesterday showed us that. The fact that Alford stuck with what was comfortable even when it wasn't working was a little frustrating. I really like the direction we are heading.

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to leahygurl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's a pretty phenomenal start for a first year head coach. Among other things, the last time we won the first 4 road games in conference was 1984. There's a few vocal detractors out there who can't seem to see the forest for the trees, but I hope Coach Noodles and the rest of the team know there's a lot of us that are proud what has been accomplished and excited for the rest of the season.

Signed,
    A grateful fan.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,391 Times in 3,360 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 455 Times in 250 Posts
    I figured there would be a learning curve as in X's and O's, not so much in hustle, grit and discipline in play.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 344 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Street lobo View Post
    It's a pretty phenomenal start for a first year head coach. Among other things, the last time we won the first 4 road games in conference was 1984. There's a few vocal detractors out there who can't seem to see the forest for the trees, but I hope Coach Noodles and the rest of the team know there's a lot of us that are proud what has been accomplished and excited for the rest of the season. Signed, A grateful fan.
    On Twitter it was posted the only other time we were 5-0 on the road during conference play was in 1978. This team is impressive.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to leahygurl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by leahygurl View Post
    On Twitter it was posted the only other time we were 5-0 on the road during conference play was in 1978. This team is impressive.
    It's hard to compare teams, but that 77-78 team had Michael Cooper and Marvin "Automatic" Johnson on it. And it was one of the greatest Lobo teams of all time. Hence a 5-0 conference road record is mighty impressive especially considering that the Lobos didn't have Alex Kirk available yesterday. That was one of the guttiest road wins I've ever seen.

31. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    It's hard to compare teams, but that 77-78 team had Michael Cooper and Marvin "Automatic" Johnson on it. And it was one of the greatest Lobo teams of all time. Hence a 5-0 conference road record is mighty impressive especially considering that the Lobos didn't have Alex Kirk available yesterday. That was one of the guttiest road wins I've ever seen.
    Definitely. Despite having to make some big adjustments with AK out of the line-up, they never let the game get away from them. Once Kendall and Hugh got hot they were in position to win.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Street lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,734 Times in 1,784 Posts
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Groan
    Groaned 17 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WWMA View Post
    For which we are so happy and looking forward to having him be a Lobo!

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to datildame For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,224 Times in 1,712 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Management transition is always tough whether the new regime comes from within or the outside. Noodles has done a great job of planning and adjusting along the way. It's kind of gratifying to see the naysayers and basketball "experts" who have criticized and analyzed/pontificated being slowly but surely eviscerated by coach and the players. Almost as funny as Algore's comeuppance.
    Get real. Donate those skinny pants to Goodwill.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to ThickLobo For This Useful Post:

38. The Following User has GroanedThickLobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,428 Times in 1,160 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 67 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpanaBaller View Post

HOWEVER.......I think positives of Noodles was that he was key in getting us past CSU today with his strategies at the end of the game. Playing CSU w/o Kirk is a tough task and Neal came through. Also the team isn't as tense as in yrs past. I think Noodles taking the team to an NBA game shows the gratitude side of him which is cool. Positives with Noodles is we got Cullen Neal who I think has an edge over Bryce.
    funny, I recall getting our butts handed to us by NMSU in the Pit two years ago under Alford.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to jdmgsr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,428 Times in 1,160 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 67 Times in 38 Posts
    I was very impressed with that win yesterday. It's become one of our calling cards over the last 6 years... Gutting out tough road wins in tough environments. I'm pumped about that. Tuesday will be a tremendous challenge. Hopefully we continue our roll.

42. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to jdmgsr For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,391 Times in 3,360 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 455 Times in 250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmgsr View Post
    I was very impressed with that win yesterday. It's become one of our calling cards over the last 6 years... Gutting out tough road wins in tough environments. I'm pumped about that. Tuesday will be a tremendous challenge. Hopefully we continue our roll.
    Could not agree more.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Bullchuter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,876 Times in 1,809 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 101 Times in 65 Posts
    Winning on the road is beautiful and not done too often....Just look at scores and upsets all over the nation..and you'll see the home team is winning most of the time. Even the Point-spreads from Las Vegas reflect the advantage of being a home team. What the Lobos have done winning 5 straight on the road is a very meaningful accomplishment. I'm proud of the Lobos. As said before...Let's keep it rolling!!! GO LOBOS!!!

45. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Bullchuter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    I truly think noodles has done a great job out of the whole season I think the time he got out coached the most was from the 15 minute mark to the 9 and half minute in the UNLV game. He pulled out all of the starters except for Williams and that is when we got down by 16 or so against those rebels. I love how he learned from that until the CSU game he had left either Kirk or Cam in at all times, before that he would pull both of them at once. He is learning extremely quickly and I think he will be one of the greatest coaches her at UNM when all is said and done.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to King_jay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 120 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King_jay View Post
    I truly think noodles has done a great job out of the whole season I think the time he got out coached the most was from the 15 minute mark to the 9 and half minute in the UNLV game. He pulled out all of the starters except for Williams and that is when we got down by 16 or so against those rebels. I love how he learned from that until the CSU game he had left either Kirk or Cam in at all times, before that he would pull both of them at once. He is learning extremely quickly and I think he will be one of the greatest coaches her at UNM when all is said and done.
    He just needs to win 2 games in the tourney and he will be the best ever. Regardless what happens the rest of the season.

49. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to DWL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,950 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 73 Times in 47 Posts
    In 2037 they'll be saying, "Yeah but that 13-14 team had KW and Cam on it."
    "Bring It Home Kid", Coach Craig Neal

51. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,063 Times in 2,822 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 27 Posts
    This has been the MOST enjoyable thread I have read in a long time !! GO LOBOS.... I believe in this coaching staff, coach Lamont is more and more involved with the players and decisions made during the games. It will only get better with the recruits we have committed and the ones we are after..

53. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to wolf1960 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,944 Times in 1,298 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 7 Posts
    I thought this is an appropriate thread for this pic that came off Twitter

image-806010952.jpg

55. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Desert_Wolf For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Garishwolf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,185 Times in 7,847 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Groan
    Groaned 76 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I said this before the season. I don't think we would win as many games had Alford been here. There was always going to be a learning curve with Noodles. You just don't walk into a job first year and expect everything to go perfect. Up to this point hes shown growth like many of the players of the team. Everything is just flowing much easier where earlier in the year it looked more mechanical. Come MWC this team is going to be humming.

was not easy at the start....lol, ALL has come a long was fast,,,,,,,, sooo much more Noodles WANTS to tech these young men. As he said "soo much to teach em, things they do not know" that is cool, I mean, Coach has sooooooooo much in his, bettering payers, plays, etc. n his capabilities,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Great stuff, and a great place for new,,,,'wanting' layers coming in.
    Last edited by Garishwolf; 01-26-2014 at 08:04 PM.

THE NEAL YEARS HAVE BEGUN

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL LOBOS!

"Lord keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth."

57. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Garishwolf For This Useful Post:

Thread Information