Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Bentley's Auction
    Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

My College Playoff solution

First Post Banner
    Expand to an eight team playoff that would include the champion from each Power 5 conference (the Big 12 would need to reinstate their conference championship game) and take the three highest G5 conference champions based on the playoff rankings. Not only would this guarantee G5 schools would have a shot at the National Title, but an additional benefit would be possible "Cinderella" teams that we see every year in the basketball tournaments (which would add more excitement and storylines to the football tourney.)

An eight team playoff set up this way would NOT diminish the regular season because since ONLY the conference champions would be invited every conference game is important and since the teams would be seeded (similar to the NCAA BB Tourneys) teams would be encouraged to play decent non-conference schedules.

The time between the conference championship games and the current playoff system is about a month so adding another week of games (for an eight team system) would still leave a sizeable break for teams to prepare and rest up.

As far as travel costs, since the NCAA isn't struggling to make ends meet, maybe they could cover 25% - 50% of the travel costs (and maybe the first round could be played at the home site of the higher seeded teams.) They could recoup the cost from advertising, restructuring a TV deal, or other options.

Just some of my thoughts...I hope everyone had an awesome Holiday season and a great start to their New Year!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to ManiacalWolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 497 Posts
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Groan
    Groaned 83 Times in 34 Posts
    This would not solve the issue of a top power 5 who loses one game and doesn't win its conference. (Ex. OSU). It would have to be the 5 champs, top power 5 champ and two at large.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SlamJamDan For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Jeffinthe505's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,393 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 230 Times in 131 Posts
    Here's a solution.

Include ALL D-1 schools and their conferences. Conference champs play each other and it culminates in the championship game.

Of course, they (the P5) would never do that because it would end the P5 monopoly on all the big money games.

The current playoff system is actually worse than it was before the playoffs. It created even more exclusivity for the P5 conferences because of the ranking system.

If they ran it more like the NCAA Tournament...at least non P5 schools would get exposure and shared revenue.

Overall, the NCAA is a joke as it is a nonprofit organization bought and paid for by the P5 conferences to keep the rich getting richer.

I would LOVE to see the non P5 schools break away and form their own system and generate their own income.

However, that's unlikely because of the influence of the P5 on every sporting network and the current Bowls.
    Last edited by Jeffinthe505; 01-02-2017 at 02:34 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Jeffinthe505 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd like to see a 16 team playoff. All ten conference champions and six at large. I'm undecided whether I want to see all 16 seeded like the NCAAs or just seed the top four and randomly draw the rest, similar to how the World Cup is drawn.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you wallyhopp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,066 Times in 4,175 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 105 Times in 51 Posts
    How can almost every other NCAA team sport/organization have bracketed playoffs, yet the highest level of football doesn't?

The lower level Football division has had a bracketed 24 team playoff for years.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Jeffinthe505's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,393 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 230 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyhopp View Post
    How can almost every other NCAA team sport/organization have bracketed playoffs, yet the highest level of football doesn't?

The lower level Football division has had a bracketed 24 team playoff for years.
    It's because the power conferences want it that way....so, that's the way it is.
    The four team playoff is an absolute joke. It leaves little to no room for outsiders to break in. We know the power conferences wanted that way so they can hoard all the big money.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by SlamJamDan View Post
    This would not solve the issue of a top power 5 who loses one game and doesn't win its conference. (Ex. OSU). It would have to be the 5 champs, top power 5 champ and two at large.
    Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. In my example, since only the conference champions would be
    invited, Ohio St. wouldn't have been invited. Even if the conference champion had three losses (one in conference and two in non-conference) and there is a
    team in that conference with one loss that is higher ranked (but that one loss was from the one-loss team) the three loss team would be invited. I know this will most likely never happen but this is how I would like the playoffs to be set.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by SlamJamDan View Post
    Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. In my example, since only the conference champions would be
    invited, Ohio St. wouldn't have been invited. Even if the conference champion had three losses (one in conference and two in non-conference) and there is a
    team in that conference with one loss that is higher ranked (but that one loss was from the one-loss team) the three loss team would be invited. I know this will most likely never happen but this is how I would like the playoffs to be set.

Thanks
    Groan
    I don't understand what's wrong with following the FCS model. Well I do, but piss on the P5 greedy arses. The NCAA isn't interested in amateurism, parody, or everyone receiving their fair share. It's been about tv deals, the best story lines, and who will bring in the most money. I was fine with the BCS system, because there wasn't a human bias to take into account and usually the computers got it right more times than not.

I'd rather have the computers rank the teams and the committee take the highest ranked conference champions from the P5, take 3 of the highest ranked G5 conference champs, and let the remaining schools in the top 16 be seeded randomly.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to StoneHer For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you dcrowley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,283 Times in 3,744 Posts
    My Mood
    Tired
    Groan
    Groaned 81 Times in 52 Posts
    16 team. Seed by BCS ranking. Conference champs get home game first round unless two conference champs get matched up in which case the lowest ranked gets the home game.

Thanks
    Groan
    My thoughts. 12 team tournament. Conference Winners of SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, ACC, AAC, MWC, MAC. Best of 2 by ranking of Sun Belt, Conf USA. FBS Indy if ranked in top 10. Leaving 2 or 3 Wildcards. Give seeds 1-4 a bye in week 1. Have seed 5-12 play at top seeded home field. Week 2 have 1-4 play at home against winners in week 1. Have final 4 in neutral sites. (rose, fiesta, sugar, orange) Benefits the fans and the conferences. And keeps the number of extra games to a minimum. Reduce the season to 11 games for everyone. If the outsiders want to play football you can still have meaningless bowl games. The wildcards this year would have included OSU, OU, Penn St.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,970 Times in 467 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 9 Posts
    The only problem about expanding the playoffs is bye bye bowl games which has been the tradition for over 100 years.

Now I would like an 8 team playoff with the five p5 conference champs, the G5 champ and the top 2 at large teams. Or a six team playoff with the top 5 trams and the G5 champ with the top two seeds getting a bye.

By allowing the G5 champ a chance to win it all it would help level the playing field a little in recruiting/money/boosters/exposure and keep college football exciting and allow for story lines.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you dcrowley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,283 Times in 3,744 Posts
    My Mood
    Tired
    Groan
    Groaned 81 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo Amor View Post
    By allowing the G5 champ a chance to win it all it would help level the playing field a little in recruiting/money/boosters/exposure and keep college football exciting and allow for story lines.
    Which is why none of this will ever happen

Thanks
    Thanked 7,967 Times in 2,532 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 288 Times in 112 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo Amor View Post
    The only problem about expanding the playoffs is bye bye bowl games which has been the tradition for over 100 years.

Now I would like an 8 team playoff with the five p5 conference champs, the G5 champ and the top 2 at large teams. Or a six team playoff with the top 5 trams and the G5 champ with the top two seeds getting a bye.

Bowl games can still choose from any team not in the 16 team playoff. There are already 40 bowl games (80 teams) so why would they dissappear? 16 from 80 leaves 64 teams and the final four would use 3 major bowl sites, so no the bowl games would not dissappear because of a 16 team playoff, they would dissappear because no one would care about the bowls. That is happening already so nothing new here IMO.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 5 Times in 3 Posts
    I would like to see more Bowl games go to a tournament style of play. Cotton bowl for example would be a 4 team playoff. This would allow for the inclusion of more teams to get an opportunity. It also would get rid of a lot of meaningless bowl games.

Thread Information