Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Roadrunner
    Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 39 Times in 8 Posts

Senior Night- EB

First Post Banner
    Senior night is the SDSU game on 3/4. I know that we will bid a fond farewell to Tim and O but is it written in stone that EB will skip his senior year and turn pro? I haven't heard one way or the other but it sure feels like a "senior" campaign. Here's hoping he stays and makes a run at the 3-peat (MWC POY award), said the optimist in me.
    Charlie Lobo

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to charleszuni1 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,553 Times in 4,707 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 825 Times in 413 Posts
    Not sure but I don't think it is appropriate to have him in the senior honors for that evening.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you pitwolf83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,223 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 150 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NMFANINOKC View Post
    Not sure but I don't think it is appropriate to have him in the senior honors for that evening.
    Agreed. Senior Nights for Seniors. Kirk didn't get honored when he was a Junior.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to pitwolf83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,252 Times in 2,871 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 59 Times in 45 Posts
    I took the OP to be more about EB sticking around another year rather than an honor at Senior Night. The title of the post does lead one there though.
    As much as I get frustrated with Elijah, he is still a very valuable asset to the team. It's so fun to watch him when he gets in The Zone. We'd be that much more dangerous next year if he stuck around.

Go Lobos.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,427 Times in 2,376 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 218 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NMFANINOKC View Post
    Agree with this 100%. Even if Elijah declared that he would not be back for his senior season, I think it would be a bad precident to set letting a junior be honored on senior night.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Hoser For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,122 Times in 3,315 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 305 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    Agree with this 100%. Even if Elijah declared that he would not be back for his senior season, I think it would be a bad precident to set letting a junior be honored on senior night.

I agree, although, unlike a true 3rd yr Jr., I believe he will have or be graduating this spring. If he officially said he was turning pro and he is graduating, it might be an appropriate exception to the rule - not sure. If he is not graduating or not firm on turning pro, then no way.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,458 Times in 577 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 105 Times in 50 Posts
    There is no way he is going to announce that he is going pro before the season ends. I personally don't think he improved his draft stock this year either. If he is indeed graduating after this year, what I could see happening is him transferring to a bigger program. Not gonna speculate anymore though. Would be great to see him back here next year.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to UNMLoboFan1 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,122 Times in 3,315 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 305 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMLoboFan1 View Post
    There is no way he is going to announce that he is going pro before the season ends. I personally don't think he improved his draft stock this year either. If he is indeed graduating after this year, what I could see happening is him transferring to a bigger program. Not gonna speculate anymore though. Would be great to see him back here next year.
    he could become a grad transfer (not sure about "bigger program") but also, turning pro isn't limited to the NBA, although I'm sure that is the dream (when asked about EB being a "one & done" his Dad said nope "he is four & none.").

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,867 Times in 1,373 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 542 Times in 179 Posts
    EB will have some tough decisions to make in the offseason. With TW gone, it would be his team 100% next year if he came back and that probably appeals to him.

Grad transfer could be good or could be really bad, worst case scenario being he doesn't mesh well with another team and sees little PT his senior season.

EB was sharper and playing better last year and he still had a rough outing testing the NBA waters. Think about it, as a SG at that level he has to match up with the Tony Snells of the world. His handles have improved but still don't seem like NBA PG handles to me. Overseas he could catch on but I wonder how he feels about that..... for most kids it is still living the dream, for one as intense as EB it may feel like exile.

I do think that if he came back healthy next year and with a different mindset though, he would be a tremendous asset. Guess time will tell.
    Last edited by muyguapo; 1 Week Ago at 09:16 PM.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to muyguapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 216 Times in 23 Posts
    Where is EB going, to sack groceries? He is not gonna sniff NBA after this season.

He has three choices; return to Lobo Basketball, play pro overseas, or graduate transfer, if he has enough credits, like Cullen did.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to HoboLob0 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you LaVidaLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,189 Times in 1,733 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 88 Times in 63 Posts
    Having to start the season with an injured hammy really set EB back. He has started to look more and more like he did last year, in terms of his play, but he is still having a hard time playing consistently. He turns the ball over too frequently and does not play shut down defense and still has trouble closing out on perimeter shooters from time to time.

He posted gaudier numbers last year and didn't get enough interest from the NBA to go pro. I can't imagine his draft stock has improved much, if any, this year. He needs to play another year in college and work on the fundamentals that make him a good all around player, rather than just a pretty good college scorer.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,843 Times in 1,657 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 138 Times in 78 Posts
    I don't see it being a good idea transferring either.....he's not going to be near as big a part of another team's offense as he would be here during a senior campaign. Hard to say what he'll do, but doesn't seem to me like he has great options.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,553 Times in 4,707 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 825 Times in 413 Posts
    I hope to hell he stays however I honestly think or see how a transfer could be a logical option. Could be a good move for his career but I want to see him in a Lobo uniform!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to NMFANINOKC For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,235 Times in 2,941 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 147 Times in 98 Posts
    Hope he stays, but graduate transfer can be valuable for him if he can get into a really good situation. However, I tend to agree that here, he knows he'd be able to make a LOT of noise, and put up some big #'s.

I can't imagine he is ready for the NBA -- and I think it is very debateable whether he will ever be ready, but certainly not this year.
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 19 Times in 10 Posts
    I think it's also being assumed he can transfer to a "bigger" program after already leaving two pretty good programs with us and Butler. A big program might look at him being a bigger problem than they need.

At any rate, still hoping he helps the Lobos win in the immediate future and make some noise these last weeks.

25. The Following User has GroanedLobojumpman For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you pitwolf83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,223 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 150 Times in 78 Posts
    For comparison's sake, lets put EB up against Kendall. KW was a 6-4 combo guard. EB is a 6-4 shooting guard.

IMO, Kendall was the better player. He played on very successful teams against higher level competition (the MWC was so much better back then). He was a leader. He had handles, speed and he could shoot. He was one of the all time greats around these parts.

EB can shoot the hell out of the ball. He can create his own shot. However, his handles are average. At this point in his career, he has not shown the leadership that KW showed. And he is nowhere near as fast as KW.

With that said, KW didn't get close to the NBA. If KW couldn't make it, there is no way that EB make's it.

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to pitwolf83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,314 Times in 2,925 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 412 Times in 210 Posts
    Unless EB transfers to another school that can help him grow up he would be better off staying at UNM. If he transfers to a school so he can score a lot of points then it will not help him much. He has skills but his demeanor is younger than his chronological age. Maybe Senior night should be more about who is on target to graduate in the spring or summer instead of when their eligibility runs out. Guys like Demetrius Walker, Arthur Edwards, and Cullen Neal are all Lobo for life as far as I am concerned because they are UNM alums like me.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Regarding the question about Senior Night, it should be a clear "no" for EB to be honored in that respect. As noted above, they didn't do it for Alex Kirk, nor did they do it for Tony Snell or Darrington Hobson. Honor him as a Lobo? Absolutely. Honor as a Senior? Nope.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 155 Times in 31 Posts
    He is shooting 40% from 2 and 35% from 3. He needs to stop looking to attract fouls and concentrate on his shooting form. He sets he scores. He kicks his legs, he misses and the refs hate it. Frankly, I do too.

KW was / a better player hands down.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to hippyboi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,314 Times in 2,925 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 412 Times in 210 Posts
    [QUOTE=pitwolf83;935701]For comparison's sake, lets put EB up against Kendall. KW was a 6

I think EB is more like Ohio State transfer Kenny Page, also a very good shooter and Lobo player. Kenny entered the NBA draft after his junior year, was drafted in the 4th round but was cut.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/10/sp...rk-knicks.html

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,638 Times in 2,000 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 62 Posts
    First, I don't think EB will get drafted. Second, I doubt he'd transfer unless it's to a program with coaches who could further his development and give a better shot at the NBA. I doubt he'd transfer to national title contender. If a team is already a contender, it means they probably won't have much use for him--and you know EB would not see himself in a secondary role. If he stays here, he gets another year to improve his stock. He maintains his role as team leader. He gets time in the spotlight. These are all known positives. Going somewhere else probably carries more risk than chances for reward...but who knows.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Oregon Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 532 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 217 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hippyboi View Post
    He is shooting 40% from 2 and 35% from 3. He needs to stop looking to attract fouls and concentrate on his shooting form. He sets he scores. He kicks his legs, he misses and the refs hate it. Frankly, I do too.

KW was / a better player hands down.
    To me it seems like EB is more interested in trying to draw fouls than score points. Then in the last 2-3 minutes of games he knocks it off and starts scoring points. He just needs to shoot the damn ball! If he is fouled than he is fouled.

I think it has become harder for college students to go to the NBA with the quality of players from overseas. Unless EB makes it to the NBA combine, this year or next year, he has no chance of getting into the NBA. Might need to go overseas.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,983 Times in 2,691 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 211 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pitwolf83 View Post
    For comparison's sake, lets put EB up against Kendall. KW was a 6-4 combo guard. EB is a 6-4 shooting guard.

IMO, Kendall was the better player. He played on very successful teams against higher level competition (the MWC was so much better back then). He was a leader. He had handles, speed and he could shoot. He was one of the all time greats around these parts.

EB can shoot the hell out of the ball. He can create his own shot. However, his handles are average. At this point in his career, he has not shown the leadership that KW showed. And he is nowhere near as fast as KW.

With that said, KW didn't get close to the NBA. If KW couldn't make it, there is no way that EB make's it.
    EB has one thing KW didn't......a dad who's an assistant coach in the league.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Mike Brown has to have so many connections to at least get someone to give Brown a legitimate look.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Romero11 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Gotta love these threads... All the draft experts here at the Lair weighin with their opinions. I remember everyone saying the EXACT samething about Tony Snell and then he was nearly a lottery pick.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to SocorroLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 438 Times in 101 Posts
    Snell was 6'6". EB is legitimately, what 6' 2 1/2"? Plus Tony was a better all around player (ie defense). The only thing Snell was missing was the desire to play at a high level every night.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 272 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 30 Times in 11 Posts
    He needs to come up big in the MWC Tourney and the post season tourney if we get a bid. Tony's performance in the MWC tourney really helped him get drafted. Playing big in the big games will get you noticed,IMO.

46. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to NZ Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thread Information