Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
CPK
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 202,639 Times in 26,272 Posts
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Groaned 763 Times in 433 Posts

Unfortunately this doesn't end well...

First Post Banner
    There's no question I'm a fan of Coach Neal. I like him. I like his methods and madness but unfortunately it hasn't worked this year. At schools like New Mexico the deck is already stacked against you. I think you have a 10% chance of an at large big before the season starts. If you miss a few games early in the season it's an uphill battle the rest of the season. Win the league and everything is forgotten. New Mexico is a great job and you can win at it. Coach Neal inherited a great team his first year and took them to the NCAA. Ask anyone around the program and it was known that the year following was going to be a down year. Even with Coach Alford.

Currently the program is at a crossroad. The sharks have circled. The pitchforks are out. People have their minds made up. The amount of emails, PM's, DM's, texts, phone calls, atnd just social media outpouring has been crazy.

Im sure there has been cases out there but once it's this far gone a coach can't ever get it back. Coach is a good man, he is. He cares for his kids. His style is different, he graduates his kids. He has great kids on the team. Nobody is in trouble. Nobody is chasing people around the gym with 2x4's. Nobody has to tell him what's happening. He sees it. He knows the expectations.

I haven't seen it this bad in about 10 or 11 years. I don't see how this gets better. UNM will have talent next year but it's some kids who will need some time. At this point I don't see how this ends well for UNM or for coach.
    #UNMerciful

2. The Following User has GroanedMark For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,674 Times in 3,923 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 773 Times in 402 Posts

Response to "this doesn't end well"

I disagree that the deck is stacked against you at UNM. The negatives you describe are there at any basketball school, and if you don't have them, then you just have a school that doesn't support basketball and your road is actually tougher. The easiest place is probably one of the military academies. There a coach isn't really expected to win much, and gets heaps of praise for any small success. However, those coaches make something in the 100 to 200k range, so it is really like an entirely different job.

I understand that this is rough for you because of your personal connection to Neal. He is surely a nice guy, and like you said has never had any of the personnel issues that many other coaches have. However, when you make the big bucks, that isn't enough, and Neal is definitely making the big bucks. All he had to do was what any coach has to do at a school that values basketball. Win enough games to get to the dance semi-regularly. If he does that, his job is secure in perpetuity. If he doesn't, well, that is what is playing out.

4. The Following 4 Users Have Groaned VWolf For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,329 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,009 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    There's no question I'm a fan of Coach Neal. I like him. I like his methods and madness but unfortunately it hasn't worked this year. At schools like New Mexico the deck is already stacked against you. I think you have a 10% chance of an at large big before the season starts. If you miss a few games early in the season it's an uphill battle the rest of the season. Win the league and everything is forgotten. New Mexico is a great job and you can win at it. Coach Neal inherited a great team his first year and took them to the NCAA. Ask anyone around the program and it was known that the year following was going to be a down year. Even with Coach Alford.

Currently the program is at a crossroad. The sharks have circled. The pitchforks are out. People have their minds made up. The amount of emails, PM's, DM's, texts, phone calls, atnd just social media outpouring has been crazy.

Im sure there has been cases out there but once it's this far gone a coach can't ever get it back. Coach is a good man, he is. He cares for his kids. His style is different, he graduates his kids. He has great kids on the team. Nobody is in trouble. Nobody is chasing people around the gym with 2x4's. Nobody has to tell him what's happening. He sees it. He knows the expectations.

I haven't seen it this bad in about 10 or 11 years. I don't see how this gets better. UNM will have talent next year but it's some kids who will need some time. At this point I don't see how this ends well for UNM or for coach.
    And unfortunately the $ 1M buyout looms whether it's this year, next year, or the following year. And as we all can see, it would be better to begin to TRY to stop the bleeding now, or it will be a total hemorrhage.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you mdanger007's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,632 Times in 1,826 Posts
    My Mood
    Daring
    Groan
    Groaned 385 Times in 125 Posts
    I'm not sure how the "cards were stacked against" Neal.

He inherited a great team after being a very successful assistant under Alford. Most critics agree that Neal is an upstanding person: So that's not the issue.

Maybe following Alford was a double-edged sword, but I don't know of anyone expecting the level of success...just a post season appearance here and there?

Neal knows that a coach who makes $1 million/yr has to meet expectations-ANYWHERE- that pays that. He isn't getting the job done.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to mdanger007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,098 Times in 1,186 Posts
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Groan
    Groaned 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Merge in 5...4...3...2..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,838 Times in 734 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 99 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VWolf View Post
    I disagree that the deck is stacked against you at UNM. The negatives you describe are there at any basketball school, and if you don't have them, then you just have a school that doesn't support basketball and your road is actually tougher. The easiest place is probably one of the military academies. There a coach isn't really expected to win much, and gets heaps of praise for any small success. However, those coaches make something in the 100 to 200k range, so it is really like an entirely different job.

I understand that this is rough for you because of your personal connection to Neal. He is surely a nice guy, and like you said has never had any of the personnel issues that many other coaches have. However, when you make the big bucks, that isn't enough, and Neal is definitely making the big bucks. All he had to do was what any coach has to do at a school that values basketball. Win enough games to get to the dance semi-regularly. If he does that, his job is secure in perpetuity. If he doesn't, well, that is what is playing out.
    Remember when a response to a thread was made in the thread?

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to bmccrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 454 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Coach pretending like everything is fine isn't encouraging the fanbase have any sympathy. A good start would for him to be honest with us, like Alford did last year.
    Last edited by MannyC; 03-12-2017 at 05:15 PM.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to MannyC For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,151 Times in 3,678 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 341 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdanger007 View Post

He inherited a great team after being a very successful assistant under Alford. Most critics agree that Neal is an upstanding person: So that's not the issue.

Maybe following Alford was a double-edged sword, but I don't know of anyone expecting the level of success...just a post season appearance here and there?

Neal knows that a coach who makes $1 million/yr has to meet expectations-ANYWHERE- that pays that. He isn't getting the job done.
    To be fair he didn't say "the cards were stacked" against Neal - he said they were against teams like us, I.e. non-P5 when one is talking about at large bids to the NCAA.

15. The Following 15 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Deck is stacked at schools not in the P5. At large isn't easy. SDSU would tell you that 2 years ago.
    #UNMerciful

17. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to Mark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    To be fair he didn't say "the cards were stacked" against Neal - he said they were against teams like us, I.e. non-P5 when one is talking about at large bids to the NCAA.
    Thank you.
    #UNMerciful

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Mark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,989 Times in 1,009 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 92 Times in 54 Posts
    To an extent I agree that once you've lost a fan base it can be hard to get back, but you can by winning.

Noodles didn't exactly walk into the lions den here. He was very respected as an assistant, and is who everybody clamored for when Alford left. He was hired pretty quickly and received with open arms. After year one, he took over a fantastic team that Alford built and failed to win the league or a game in the dance (that's not entirely his fault in fairness), and for that he got an extension. Even after a dumpster fire the next year, fans were still pretty cool with him overall, and even after last year the seat was getting a little hot but most fans were still okay with him getting another year.

The frustration with Noodles is not unreasonable, especially with what looks to be a step back season next year.

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to the_pole_28 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by mdanger007 View Post

Where did I say they were stacked against Neal?
    #UNMerciful

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Mark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Deck is stacked at schools not in the P5. At large isn't easy. SDSU would tell you that 2 years ago.
    Okay, but we haven't even contended for a 1 bid league. I think if we had a year similar to the one a few years ago where we split with BYU and Utah but were NIT bound, most fans would probably be a bit more forgiving

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to the_pole_28 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pole_28 View Post
    Okay, but we haven't even contended for a 1 bid league. I think if we had a year similar to the one a few years ago where we split with BYU and Utah but were NIT bound, most fans would probably be a bit more forgiving
    Where did I say otherwise?
    #UNMerciful

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to Mark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Where did I say otherwise?
    It sure sounded like an excuse

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to the_pole_28 For This Useful Post:

30. The Following User has Groanedthe_pole_28 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 647 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 153 Times in 66 Posts
    "The sharks have circled. The pitchforks are out."

not really, Neal just coached his way into not being the right person to move the program in the right direction and put it in a very bad position. People are just stating the position the program is in, and doing what they can to steer the program on the road it needs to be on, and in actuality, throwing a life raft to the program. as Krebs and Neal drown it. These are more like , doctors knowing a cancer in a body has to be removed before it is destroyed worse. But always portray the people willing to do what all know must be done, as anything but, simply people doing what must be done in the best interest of the program.

32. The Following 15 Users Say Thanks to Clubmaker For This Useful Post:

33. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned Clubmaker For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,329 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,009 Times in 1,509 Posts
    To an extent I agree that once you've lost a fan base it can be hard to get back, but you can by winning.

Noodles didn't exactly walk into the lions den here. He was very respected as an assistant, and is who everybody clamored for when Alford left. He was hired pretty quickly and received with open arms. After year one, he took over a fantastic team that Alford built and failed to win the league or a game in the dance (that's not entirely his fault in fairness), and for that he got an extension. Even after a dumpster fire the next year, fans were still pretty cool with him overall, and even after last year the seat was getting a little hot but most fans were still okay with him getting another year.

The frustration with Noodles is not unreasonable, especially with what looks to be a step back season next year.
    With all due respects, "another" step back.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccrack View Post
    Remember when a response to a thread was made in the thread?

It didn't work. Something has been off with TheLoboLair the past few weeks.

Thanks
    Groan
    Its the fans fault, the Neal hasn't met the standard published and demanded by Krebs, when he fired Sanchez...

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Clubmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 673 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 70 Times in 34 Posts
    At schools like New Mexico the deck is already stacked against you. I think you have a 10% chance of an at large big before the season starts. If you miss a few games early in the season it's an uphill battle the rest of the season. Win the league and everything is forgotten. New Mexico is a great job and you can win at it. Coach Neal inherited a great team his first year and took them to the NCAA. Ask anyone around the program and it was known that the year following was going to be a down year. Even with Coach Alford.
    Win the league and everything is forgotten.

Yes, UNM has its disadvantages, not being in a P5 conference, not being in a recruiting hotbed, not having national accolades such as national championships, final fours, elite eights...etc, but UNM can win MWC championships. With MWC championships come NCAAT appearances.

While the MWC is not the conference it used to be with Alford, Kruger, BYU, and Utah, it still is a conference that is winnable and UNM definitely has the resources to win it.

I definitely think that we need to be realistic, though, and understand that UNM is a good mid-major program that is a stepping stone for a blue-chip program. It's a good thing if our coach leaves for a school like UCLA. NCAAB is not like NCAAF where coaching transitions are detrimental to recruiting classes if a program has to hire a new coach based off of success.

UNM just needs to get back to contending for MWC titles.

40. The Following 16 Users Say Thanks to FONZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Win enough games to get to the dance semi-regularly. If he does that, his job is secure in perpetuity. If he doesn't, well, that is what is playing out.
    Come on V, we ran Bliss out after he won 4 straight 1st round games in the NCAA. Yes, Bliss was a bad guy, but we didn't run him out for those things that happened in the future or the academic issues. Colson got run out largely due to fan apathy and he almost never lost a home game. Just couldn't win on the road. As much as I despise Fraschilla, he put it best when he said the expectations don't match the pocket book.

42. The Following 15 Users Say Thanks to xraytube For This Useful Post:

43. The Following 3 Users Have Groaned xraytube For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 49,777 Times in 11,857 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 618 Times in 352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FONZ View Post
    Win the league and everything is forgotten.

Yes, UNM has its disadvantages, not being in a P5 conference, not being in a recruiting hotbed, not having national accolades such as national championships, final fours, elite eights...etc, but UNM can win MWC championships. With MWC championships come NCAAT appearances.

While the MWC is not the conference it used to be with Alford, Kruger, BYU, and Utah, it still is a conference that is winnable and UNM definitely has the resources to win it.

I definitely think that we need to be realistic, though, and understand that UNM is a good mid-major program that is a stepping stone for a blue-chip program. It's a good thing if our coach leaves for a school like UCLA. NCAAB is not like NCAAF where coaching transitions are detrimental to recruiting classes if a program has to hire a new coach based off of success.

UNM just needs to get back to contending for MWC titles.
    Indeed, UNM is not competing for the top of the MWC. Which should be an obvious expectation. Lobo fans are not unrealistic in that regard.

45. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to LoboMike For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you PackLobo23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,061 Times in 4,787 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,916 Times in 554 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    Exactly... that would require actually reading what was written .... and as we know most Lobo fans are not about to do something like that

47. The Following User Says Thank You to PackLobo23 For This Useful Post:

48. The Following 24 Users Have Groaned PackLobo23 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by xraytube View Post
    Come on V, we ran Bliss out after he won 4 straight 1st round games in the NCAA. Yes, Bliss was a bad guy, but we didn't run him out for those things that happened in the future or the academic issues. Colson got run out largely due to fan apathy and he almost never lost a home game. Just couldn't win on the road. As much as I despise Fraschilla, he put it best when he said the expectations don't match the pocket book.
    Bliss got a better job with higher pay. He wasn't fired, but succumbed to grumbling fans. Fans at that point wanted a sweet 16 and maybe Bliss would have even brought us one if he'd stayed. Any coach who gets to the dance regularly and doesn't have other issues won't be fired by UNM.

50. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to VWolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Bliss got a better job with higher pay. He wasn't fired, but succumbed to grumbling fans. Fans at that point wanted a sweet 16 and maybe Bliss would have even brought us one if he'd stayed. Any coach who gets to the dance regularly and doesn't have other issues won't be fired by UNM.
    Bliss had a contract in his desk, which to much surprise to the public, eventually came out, he had not signed it. It was weird.

Davalos said Bliss never signed a six-year contract extension agreed upon last August, so he does not have a signed contract with the Lobos for 1999-2000. The extension deal was made to keep Bliss, 55, at New Mexico through the 2004-2005 season. The current contract expires April 30."The contract, whether he signed it or didn't sign it, has nothing to do with this," Davalos said.
    Bliss said he didn't sign the extension because it needed some minor rewording and that he hasn't gotten it back after the changes were made.
    Last edited by Clubmaker; 03-12-2017 at 04:06 PM.

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Clubmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Any coach who gets to the dance regularly and doesn't have other issues won't be fired by UNM.
    I would rephrase this to any coach who gets us to the dance regularly will leave for a higher paying job .......

54. The Following User Says Thank You to xraytube For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    I do not know Coach Neal personally like Mark does (I don't know Mark either except through this site) but based what I can see as a fan from an objective distance, I am confident that Mark is correct when he says Coach cares about his players beyond what they can do on the court, the players off the court and academic achievements are objectively superb, especially for a school like UNM - these achievements don't happen just by luck - credit to Neal.

i further reconize that Mark is absolutely correct about the unfair (IMO) advantages of P5 schools and their sucessful attempts to even further create more and more competitive advantages for themselves and the challenges for schools like UNM are getting bigger & bigger - it flat out pisses me off but it is what it is.

Not mentioned by Mark when stating things didn't work out this year were real and significant injuries which for schools like us with smaller margins for error are proably ever harder to overcome - I'm guessing Mark didn't mention them because of what surely would have been the reaction accusing him of making "excuses."

However, notwithstanding the above, I must agree with others that under Neal this team has underperformed even given the challenges. Perhaps, Neal was not ready for the top spot, perhaps, he is one of the many good valuable humans that are more cut out for an important supporting roles as opposed to the one person at the top, perhaps he is too close to his players - I don't know but I do believe that for whatever reason or reasons, Neal in the role of head coach at UNM is not working and it hasn't been working. It will be difficult to overcome as so many have dug their heels in. Even though I have finally come to the conclusion that the best course of action would be to replace him coupled with the announcement that he will return next year, I will hope that he makes whatever adjustments he can and that he & therefore, our Lobos, succeeds.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    It sure sounded like an excuse
    Pretty sure you had your mind made up before you read the post.
    #UNMerciful

57. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to Mark For This Useful Post:

58. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned Mark For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Thank you.
    You are welcome but actually, no need to thank as fair is fair & all too often (and it seems to be getting worse to me in today's world) folks see, read or hear what they want to and that which fits their preconceptions as opposed to what actually is.

60. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by xraytube View Post
    I would rephrase this to any coach who gets us to the dance regularly will leave for a higher paying job .......
    They very well might, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing, and it is true of everywhere besides blue chips. Hell even blue chip coaches sometimes go to the NBA. The point is that the job security is there for any coach who can get to the dance regularly and doesn't have his players act out. The possibility of moving on to higher job actually makes the UNM job more attractive and not less attractive (in terms of the deck being stacked).

We got 11 years out of Bliss. That was good run.

62. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to VWolf For This Useful Post:

Thread Information