Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NCAA Tournament

Thanks
    Thanked 8,325 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Yea, if she is very, very quick. So Vic Shaeffer, who interviewed at UNM 6 years ago? is in Final 4. Kelly Graves, then at Gonzaga who I think a lot of people would have liked to come back to ABQ then, gets a shot at UCONN for chance to go to Final 4. And another name that was brought up 5 years ago, Karen Aston who was then at a smaller Texas school, was in in final 16. If one of them had come here, wonder how far along LLobos might have been able to go, realizing that the P5 money is not here.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to ldlbfn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quality quickness and length is something I think is important. William was so much quicker than Wallace, though Wallace bigger, William had her way with her. Some of the other match ups with length and quickness were interesting: Vivian and Richardson vs Davis and Jones and Prince. And a couple pretty athletic 6'7s McGowan and Brown. Some interesting match up, possibilities with UCONN-Oregon tomorrow. Ionescu and Nurse. See if Collier and Hebard match up with each other. Butler-Mcqwire. Chong-Bando. Be interesting to see Kelly's strategy against Samuelson and Williams

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ldlbfn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,697 Times in 639 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 59 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldlbfn View Post
    Yea, if she is very, very quick. So Vic Shaeffer, who interviewed at UNM 6 years ago? is in Final 4. Kelly Graves, then at Gonzaga who I think a lot of people would have liked to come back to ABQ then, gets a shot at UCONN for chance to go to Final 4. And another name that was brought up 5 years ago, Karen Aston who was then at a smaller Texas school, was in in final 16. If one of them had come here, wonder how far along LLobos might have been able to go, realizing that the P5 money is not here.
    Vic really wanted the UNM job, told me so himself, if he had been offered he would have accepted. We would have been a top ten program right now......
    UnoLocoLobo

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to UnolocoLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,416 Times in 6,401 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 389 Times in 209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UnolocoLobo View Post
    Vic really wanted the UNM job, told me so himself, if he had been offered he would have accepted. We would have been a top ten program right now......
    If

true, makes me want to cringe...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,697 Times in 639 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 59 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txlobo95 View Post
    If

true, makes me want to cringe...
    Very true, sad to say. He is a great recruiter and has a way with people that is so positive and believable.
    UnoLocoLobo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to UnolocoLobo For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,035 Times in 3,239 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 62 Times in 48 Posts
    To say he would have recruited to UNM as successfully as he has recruited is speculative. It doesn't always work that way. How many of the 100s of coaches at non-P5 schools produce top-10 programs under the current environment?

No negative comment against him, but we do not have him so I see on great value in guessing game what we would have. We'd be good I expect, but top-10 is a really step.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    To say he would have recruited to UNM as successfully as he has recruited is speculative. It doesn't always work that way. How many of the 100s of coaches at non-P5 schools produce top-10 programs under the current environment?

No negative comment against him, but we do not have him so I see on great value in guessing game what we would have. We'd be good I expect, but top-10 is a really step.

Thanks
    Groan
    I'm cringing now as well. Maybe I'm wrong but I always felt it was a money issue to move Yvonne up. What maybe coulda been. I think Schaeffer, or Kelly for that matter would have been a good fit. I like what Bradbury wants to do and we will see how recruiting continues to go, will he be the "right fit"? Some people are questioning some things, we will see how it goes.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    I do not know what Kelly is getting paid, but could UNM match it? Could he get the same players to come to UNM as he has gotten to Oregon? It is not obvious the result would be the same, even if we could have attracted him.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 472 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    There is no way to redo the 2011 decison and hire Schaefer. Had we done so, and given what he has done at Miss. State, I'm one who thinks we would be at least top 20 now, and top 10 is not unreasonable.

Remember - we were top 30-40 before Flanagan began to fade (for reasons I'll ignore). For sure UNM would not have experience the huge drop-off in performance under the coach who was hired.

The reason this is relevant now is that it is a benchmark for evaluating our current AD. I'd put it as his #2 screw-up, behind Locksley. This doesn't put me in the Fire Krebs camp, but it doesn't make me a big fan either.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to SantaFeFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    As was mentioned, Kelly was given a big raise at Gonzaga when Flan retired, partly maybe because they thought UNM might come calling??? Speculative. Probably could not pay what he is getting at Oregon now, or what Schaffer will be getting at Ms St with the football money. I like Yvonne but just never thought she was the right hire.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to ldlbfn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,113 Times in 614 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Itty-Bitty is the name! What a player she is!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Pinon Nut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,477 Times in 1,429 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 20 Times in 19 Posts
    I always thought that there was a small group of fans with the AD ear who lobbied hard for Sanchez. That and they didn't want to pay Schaffer what Flannagan was getting. That being said Sanchez just didn't have the resume to get the job and the AD should have hired either Schaffer or the other guy, who is coaching in the WNBA now.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 20 Times in 14 Posts
    We will never get coaches like Schaffer and Graves because:
    1. We don't have the money to compete with the P5 schools.
    2. Our conference sucks and recruits want to play against the best which won't happen in the MWC.
    3. No TV. Parents want to watch their daughters play.

24. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned Qclobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Can get all the games online now and with chromecast device can stream to television. Can't get Scaeffer and Graves now, because as been said many times, P5 money is not here. But 5 years ago? According to Uno could have had Schaeffer.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,898 Times in 2,672 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 342 Times in 115 Posts
    only the $$$ is an issue...as for recruits and online exposure, you are way off base qclbo...and the $$$ in the women's game makes very little difference except in coaching salaries...but, there are many available for what UNM pays...
    Last edited by zoom; 03-27-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    '...the Pit is just God awful uncomfortable for a visiting team.'

...he yells, "No one comes to the hoop now, Melvin. No one!", Harv Schmidt to Mel Daniels

“They’re loud and they get on you. They know everything about you. They know your mom’s name.”, jimmer fredette.

‘We surrender. If that’s who we are, then let’s surrender,' Steve Fisher.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,416 Times in 6,401 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 389 Times in 209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaFeFan View Post
    There is no way to redo the 2011 decison and hire Schaefer. Had we done so, and given what he has done at Miss. State, I'm one who thinks we would be at least top 20 now, and top 10 is not unreasonable.

The reason this is relevant now is that it is a benchmark for evaluating our current AD. I'd put it as his #2 screw-up, behind Locksley. This doesn't put me in the Fire Krebs camp, but it doesn't make me a big fan either.
    I

completely agree, with Vic, most likely we are a top 15-50 type program, like we were under Alford on the men's side. He appears to be a Flan type program manager, but much better recruiting, since he can fly all around the country and not have to drive everywhere. I loved Flan, but he didn't have the right assistants to bring in top flight recruits toward the end and was his undoing. Vic wouldn't of had that issue and I still drool of thinking about his 40 minutes of hell type defense in the PIT, like he had at Texas A & M.

I also agree that hiring YS with the downward trajectory of the program at the time, the fact that all 5 frosh left the program under her watch, since she was the associate HC and lack of HC experience, make that a very bad hire and I said it at the time. Was very vocal against it. We needed to clean house and start fresh from scratch at that time and Vic could have taken the program to levels not seen, even under Flan.

However, as far as the AD goes, I would also put the ridiculous extension that was given to Craig Neal after only 1 year and riding Alford's stacked team to the NCAA's was also a MAJOR blunder. Krebs handcuffing UNM with a 1 million buy-out has really put UNM in a terrible position. Anyone think he would still be employed after the last 3 years of .500 basketball if not for the terrible buy-out clause??? Neal can't coach defense or effort apparently and should not be the coach at UNM. If Neal had any honor at all he would rip up the buy-out clause and only go on his own merit. Didn't Alford rip up his extension at UCLA after last season's poor performance? Neal, do the same!!!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 472 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Hmm, you are correct. The Neal extension and the vote of confidence after this year both deserve consideration in the ranking of Krebs screw-ups.

Still, given how high the women were at one time, and how far they fell, and Schaefer being in the Final 4, I'd still argue that passing on Vic comes in higher.

Thanks
    Groan
    Well, looks like no upset for Oregon. Just got in and see UCONN up at half 49-24. Wow, 17 turnovers by Ducks in 1st half. Maybe the jitters have finally come for that young team??

Thanks
    Groan
    And South Carolina keeping a 9-14 point lead on Florida St. Florida St's PG Romero a good player having a bad night shooting

Thanks
    Groan
    FSU now battling back. Down 5 about 4 minutes left.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,134 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I don't think it is at all realistic to think UNM can be a Top-10 program given the current lack of parity in women's basketball, which is getting worse, not better. But it is realistic (if somewhat difficult) to think we can someday be good enough to get an at-large bid by getting back into the top 40. This year Green Bay (Horizon), Toledo (Mid-American), Drake (MVC), and N. Iowa (MVC) did it. Auburn and South Florida took the last two at-large slots as 11 seeds. That means there were 42 slots available for teams to get in without having to win the post-season conference tournament. Of those teams, Green Bay is the only one that is consistently making it. But the distance in talent from their 8-seed to a 3-seed (top 10) is still huge.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to String Music For This Useful Post:

Thread Information