Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,090 Times in 4,023 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 821 Times in 419 Posts

Arkansas against UNC

First Post Banner
    This is a must-watch game. Hawgs are up 58-55 about midway through the second half. These boys are going at it. A great example of "effort" on both sides.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to VWolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,993 Times in 2,700 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 353 Times in 119 Posts
    Arkansas prime example of how teams blow opportunities with very poor decisions...

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,780 Times in 3,399 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 66 Times in 52 Posts
    Exciting game to watch, but at times I wondered if it was basketball or grappling.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 10 Posts
    There's letting people play and there's what they let UNC get away with yesterday.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,868 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 62 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelnavida View Post
    There's letting people play and there's what they let UNC get away with yesterday.
    What exactly did they let UNC get away with? Most people complained about how aggressive Arkansas played, which I had no problem with...the foul count certainly indicated that as well....just curious what you saw!

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasLobo View Post
    What exactly did they let UNC get away with? Most people complained about how aggressive Arkansas played, which I had no problem with...the foul count certainly indicated that as well....just curious what you saw!
    Several hand checks in the final 5 minutes, which, if I remember right, is a no no nowadays. As well as the obvious charge call on Berry near the end. If the refs had called a block, I would've been upset, but at least they would've acknowledged that an absurd amount of contact happened. But the refs just ate the whistle for a lot of the end of the game.

Like, I feel like Arkansas choked the game away and probably would've lost, but North Carolina got some help they really didn't need.

Edit: It wasn't egregious stuff like the Gonzaga/Northwestern game, but it was frustrating that two teams can play with the same aggressiveness and get different responses from the refs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Miguelnavida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,090 Times in 4,023 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 821 Times in 419 Posts
    Several hand checks in the final 5 minutes, which, if I remember right, is a no no nowadays. As well as the obvious charge call on Berry near the end. If the refs had called a block, I would've been upset, but at least they would've acknowledged that an absurd amount of contact happened. But the refs just ate the whistle for a lot of the end of the game.

Like, I feel like Arkansas choked the game away and probably would've lost, but North Carolina got some help they really didn't need.

Edit: It wasn't egregious stuff like the Gonzaga/Northwestern game, but it was frustrating that two teams can play with the same aggressiveness and get different responses from the refs.

Yeah, if they correctly call that charge, then who knows? The hawgs were only down three at that point and that bad no-call killed them.

Also, UNC played some amazing defense down the stretch. You have to credit them as well. There is a reason they are a 2 seed.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to VWolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,993 Times in 2,700 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 353 Times in 119 Posts
    Arkansas' offense in that last minute was a joke...they did that much to themselves...

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan

If you watch the Berry play in slo mo you will see 2 things....Berry got fouled by the defender guarding him and then the defender in front of him swiped him across the face prior to any contact....did Berry push off...yes he did...did he get fouled before any of that happened....yes he did! So what call do you make???

My BIG question from that game was what the heck was the call on the Meeks block that supposedly hit the end line....the officials reviewed it but then there was really no explanation for giving the ball to UNC....Meek's clearly touched the ball, there was still 1 second showing on the shot clock but they gave it to Carolina.....that call was the head scratcher!!!

As far as the hand checks go.....really..you are going to base your comment on that!!! Both teams play fast, both teams got after it on D....

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasLobo View Post
    If you watch the Berry play in slo mo you will see 2 things....Berry got fouled by the defender guarding him and then the defender in front of him swiped him across the face prior to any contact....did Berry push off...yes he did...did he get fouled before any of that happened....yes he did! So what call do you make???

My BIG question from that game was what the heck was the call on the Meeks block that supposedly hit the end line....the officials reviewed it but then there was really no explanation for giving the ball to UNC....Meek's clearly touched the ball, there was still 1 second showing on the shot clock but they gave it to Carolina.....that call was the head scratcher!!!

As far as the hand checks go.....really..you are going to base your comment on that!!! Both teams play fast, both teams got after it on D....
    Like I said before, I wouldn't have minded them calling a blocking foul; but with that much contact between three players, where one is swiping and one is pushing off, you should call something.

Thank you for reminding me about the bad possession call. That was bad too.

And yeah, I am upset about the hand checks, because good lord did they not allow anything close to that in the Iowa State / Purdue game or the Duke / South Carolina game. And I guarantee you that Butler / UNC won't be allowed to get to that level of physicality.

Also, I'm not saying that North Carolina deserved to lose. Once they realized that they could match Arkansas physically, they were clearly the better team and deserved to win. Arkansas also choked, so it's not like they would come back or held on.

I know you like both teams. This isn't an indictment on North Carolina basketball or something. I'm just stating that big name teams will often get a little extra benefit of the doubt, which (Gonzaga) can (Gonzaga) really help them. (Gonzaga)

With that, I'll end with North Carolina is good and should make the final 4 at minimum. (I have them as champs if that makes you feel better)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Miguelnavida For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,780 Times in 3,399 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 66 Times in 52 Posts
    Watching all of the NC/Arkansas game I think Arkansas got the better calls for the bulk of the game, but at the end UNC got one or two. I agree that the "charge" on Berry should never have been called because there should have been 1 (or maybe even 2) reach in fouls called before that point.

It frustrates me that so many games ARE influenced by variable (or just plain BAD) officiating. I had no dog in that hunt, my rooting interests are UNM and Manhattan.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo2x53 View Post
    Watching all of the NC/Arkansas game I think Arkansas got the better calls for the bulk of the game, but at the end UNC got one or two. I agree that the "charge" on Berry should never have been called because there should have been 1 (or maybe even 2) reach in fouls called before that point.

It frustrates me that so many games ARE influenced by variable (or just plain BAD) officiating. I had no dog in that hunt, my rooting interests are UNM and Manhattan.
    Great point...and there have been a LOT of horrible officiating in this tournament!!!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Thread Information