Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 141 Times in 66 Posts
    First Post Banner
    I expected EB to leave at the end of season ,,,, the Mathis announcement yesterday was tough, but I totally understand. He looked really good at the end of season when he was allowed to play, he seemed to get better as the game went along too so who knows what he can do with more time. Joe leaving just hurts, I see him as a D1 starter. Who else? I am heading out for a week vacation and I can't come back to too many surprises. Wow... not liking this week and its only Tuesday.
    Robin - yes, I am a female sports fan!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to ABQrobin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 21,820 Times in 5,652 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 604 Times in 285 Posts
    Have fun Robin! We'll try to hang in here:-)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,581 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 30 Times in 24 Posts
    I hate that Mathis is leaving...I don't believe that he would have started but having a gunner come in off the bench is vital to a successful basketball team....hope it ends up being a good move for him...which I bet it will!!!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Oregon Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,596 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 106 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Lobo View Post
    Actually, the coaching staff may have encouraged him to leave.
    I know a lot of players leave out of frustration. I think Brown may have left because he was starting to feel the pressure from the fans (that, and he may have disagreements with Coach Neal or the system). Anyone who doesn't think Mathis was encouraged to look in new directions is not looking at reality. Neal over-recruited--some players were going to have to leave. Mathis was probably given the "you're a good player, kid, but it turns out you're just not the right piece in our puzzle" speech. On another note, I keep hearing people saying that more defections are coming. Believe what you want to believe, but 1) it's hard to transfer. You have to go through the recruiting process all over again and there's no guarantee you'll end up in a better situation. 2) Again, Neal over-recruited. Players probably knew that there'd be a few defectors for whatever reason (playing time, etc.). Now that the number of players matches the number of scholarships, I'm sure the rest of the players are breathing a sigh of relief and are ready to put last season behind them.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Oregon Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,203 Times in 1,436 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 658 Times in 200 Posts
    A few of my folks in ABQ who have more knowledge than I do were telling me that Mathis transferring out was known to the team back in December, as he was not happy here. If that is true, it would explain the lack of PT -- Alford benched a few guys during his reign when they were planning to leave. Most coaches do if the know a player is leaving.

My personal opinion -- and it is only that, an opinion -- is that Mathis probably SHOULD reconsider and stay, unless he knows something about incoming guards next year that we don't. Tough to see the court this year when EB played 32 minutes a game or more and with the emergence of DJ. Next year would likely be very different. Maybe he felt Quinn Clinton would put him back in hunting minutes mode and as a junior-to-be, I can see why he would want to test the waters. Maybe he was encouraged to transfer. But the transfer thing is what it is. Rocky used to say that bit about transferring, that they all transfer for their own reasons, and I think that holds true when we step outside the lynch mob mindset. All of the discussion on this board is mere speculation unless AM tells us differently. He was a good teammate on the bench from what I saw, and kept his chin up, and his attitude seemed good.

I hope it works out for him. Seems like a good kid. As I look back at some of the other guards who have transferred out, it has definitely been a mixed bag over the years. Arthur Edwards leaves and has a great season, gets what he wants..... Dominique Dunning a few years ago left and never really became that guy he wanted to be and didn't play much til he was a senior. Pancake leaves and becomes a star. No guarantees in this world, but I can understand young kids rolling the dice.
    Last edited by muyguapo; 03-21-2017 at 09:54 AM.

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to muyguapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 10 Times in 9 Posts
    I don't blame Mathis for leaving. He showed this season that he deserved more playing time then he could ever get, given the amount of guards we had. I hope he finds a place where he can flourish.

If Joe leaves, I will place the blame solely on Neal. Joe dragged us through some tough games and got us some big wins, which, in this era, are hard to come by.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Miguelnavida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 472 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 51 Times in 31 Posts
    Good luck Anthony and Joe, I wish you well in your futures. Too bad you didn't get a chance to show off that effort that coach said he couldn't teach. You two were all about the hustle when you both played. Make us proud at your new schools, we will be pulling for you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to polhzp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 772 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 112 Times in 45 Posts
    to this point in time, there is no indication that joe is transfering. good luck to mathis and brown wherever they land.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to red wolf rob For This Useful Post:

Thread Information