Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

The truth about Jalen Harris

First Post Banner
    So I've read a few comments about Jalen and why he's transferring. I'm pretty close with his family so here are the real facts about his current situation.

1. Yes, he is expecting to be a father soon. The baby isn't in NC. The baby is on the west coast. Has nothing to do with him deciding to transfer.

2. He's also not looking to be closer to home. UNM included, he's looking for the right program that will allow him to showcase his talent.

3. He requested his release from UNM because of Neal, simply put. Wasn't allowed to play an uptempo style, which is when they did it, they played really well last season. It's easy to say someone can't shoot when the coach didn't alllw you to shoot. Go back and look at the box scores. A consistent 3rd scorer never emerged because Neal didn't allow it.

4. Lastly, Jalen is still considering returning to UNM, along with a few Power 5 schools as well. I would expect a decision to be made here in the next week or so.

2. The Following 193 Users Say Thanks to CanMitchell For This Useful Post:

19lobo49, 1EYE, 505golas, 808LOBO, abqpianist, ABQrobin, Agent, alamolobo, alphadog76, altakaia, apenland01, ArkansasLobo, bfox, bigfred1958, Biggs34, Bloo, bluebunch, BobOso, boffo1, BoRealist, brael, Bret, bruiser, BrutusXXX, bryan78, Bullchuter, Burro lobo, Carl81, catherine, cjalico, COLOLOBO, colt45, crisco, damianshorns, danny_914, datildame, DCLobo, Digital Lobo, Dirtman, Dr.M, DROP-n-BOS1, DWL, Eagleye, emtnlobofan, EZLoboCat, Fideos, FoKuZ, Garishwolf, ghost25, GiJoeRay, GladToBeRich, GoLobos, growe785, gsalas, hampleric, Hoopsmom, horace, Hoser, Houston Hoop, Howler, hunterig, isaac, Jacobsladder, jammin, JayMarkE, Jbrent, jb_lobo, JPCWBYS, jpiet22, JTX, jt_nm, JulieG, junior2430, Just Ava, KenH, Kent, LaVidaLobo, ldlbfn, leahygurl, lobo, Lobo Amor, LOBO2013, loboaddict, LoboAuto, Lobodawg92, lobodude, lobofan13, lobofan22, LoboHawk, loboincruces, loboken, LoboLen, LoboLoco, Loboloko, Lobolouie1, lobolunatic, LoboMarv, LoboMcG, LoboMike, loboMJ, loboray, loborick, Lobos530, Lobos94, lobotracks, lobowoof, Lobo_for_life, Los Lobos, lovatoma, LSUextreme, MacLobo, madmax, ManiacalWolf, MannyC, Mark, michael c, MichLobo, midwestfan, Mike Jones, mikemc81, milehighlobo, MilitaryLobo, mjcille, MontanaLobo, motaglos, MRLobo, NJLobo, nmdave, norcallobo65, Oregon Lobo, OzLobo, PackLobo23, Paolobo, Pause The Noose, payasos, pedro06, phillylobo, Pinon Nut, pitboss, pithowler, pitwolf83, polhzp, primordial, Professor, Red Crush, RedSox87122, reelsteele, rglobo, rick7g, RIDIC, Rocketmancpa, RR Lobo, RR Rick, Ryil, SanJoMilkman, SantaFeFan, Scott, Sherkon, silvadog, snapcase, SoCalLobo, somewhetein, Soonlobo, stephanie, T-Lobo, tc20, tchavez77, ThreadKiller, ThreePointShot, timvracer, trex, trufan, Tugev1, txlobo95, Tybot, UNM Class of 1972, UNMKU, unmlobo1, Unmlobo2003, UNMLoboFan1, Urlacher44, VWolf, Walkon, Wasabi, WhatsTheWord, wolf1960, wolfman, writejav, x ray, yooperlobo, Zimbo, zoom, zygote

3. The Following User has GroanedCanMitchell For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,670 Times in 787 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 53 Posts
    This is game changing news. Harris is a player. He plays at a different speed. He has the athletic ability to be an excellent defender given better coaching as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,401 Times in 2,230 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Groan
    Groaned 980 Times in 339 Posts
    CanMitchell welcome to the board.

Here's to hoping you're here at LEAST another 3 years! Please tell Jalen Lobo Nation knows his worth and we want him back under coach Weir. This is a perfect fit for him.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,401 Times in 2,230 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Groan
    Groaned 980 Times in 339 Posts
    CanMitchell welcome to the board.

Here's to hoping you're here at LEAST another 3 years! Please tell Jalen Lobo Nation knows his worth and we want him back under coach Weir. This is a perfect fit for him.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to FoKuZ For This Useful Post:

8. The Following User has GroanedFoKuZ For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 8 Times in 3 Posts
    I really hope Jalen returns. I was always big on him cause I could see the talent everytime he touched the ball. You can tell he's gonna be great, and I hope he's a Lobo great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to DCool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Jalen is a perfect fit for the Weir up-tempo style of play. I would be extremely surprised is Coach W. wouldn't love to have Jalen continue to be a Lobo. Hope the young man decides to stay!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to RR Rick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,190 Times in 1,410 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts
    It would be excellent news if Jalen decides to stay - he would absolutely thrive in Weir's style of play! Talk about somebody who could play with his foot on the gas at all times - we couldn't do any better!

Thanks for the post, CanMitchell.

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to Howler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 732 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Jalen is an unreal talent. Would love to see him stay in the cherry and silver.

PS - need some help to get a new aviator. Time for Neal to go. Thx.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to NJLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 299 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 45 Times in 8 Posts
    Jalen obviously has great talent, and i think he would be much happier in the Pit with Weir at he helm. I truly hope to see him back in The Pit. Oh, and as far as his jumper.... while some thought it was his weakness, i thought it was quite good. Sometimes it didn't fall, but he had a nasty pull, and fade away J. So i was never worried about that. What i was worried about, was how fast Neal was going to pull him from the game after he missed.
    "THE" UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO

WELCOME TO THE LAND OF ENCHANTMENT...
    WHERE nmsu SUCKS!!!

18. The Following 19 Users Say Thanks to f5dryline For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,461 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,012 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CanMitchell View Post
    So I've read a few comments about Jalen and why he's transferring. I'm pretty close with his family so here are the real facts about his current situation.

1. Yes, he is expecting to be a father soon. The baby isn't in NC. The baby is on the west coast. Has nothing to do with him deciding to transfer.

2. He's also not looking to be closer to home. UNM included, he's looking for the right program that will allow him to showcase his talent.

3. He requested his release from UNM because of Neal, simply put. Wasn't allowed to play an uptempo style, which is when they did it, they played really well last season. It's easy to say someone can't shoot when the coach didn't alllw you to shoot. Go back and look at the box scores. A consistent 3rd scorer never emerged because Neal didn't allow it.

4. Lastly, Jalen is still considering returning to UNM, along with a few Power 5 schools as well. I would expect a decision to be made here in the next week or so.
    Could it be that he should decide quickly? Hopefully he and Coach Weir will work that out.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you pitwolf83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,802 Times in 1,893 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 167 Times in 85 Posts
    I was reading through the board yesterday and saw some posters who said we needed a point who could shoot... wha?? As mentioned above, Jalen never got a chance to shoot. It seemed like he was pulled every time he pulled the trigger. Not to mention, Hunter can shoot as well. I'm sure Jalen will be an excellent scorer when he is allowed to be. I've always thought that he and Jefferson have the most potential on this team. It's amazing Neal got some of these kids to come here given the way he handled them during the season. Snake oil salesman...

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to pitwolf83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 305 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 21 Times in 12 Posts
    Harris would THRIVE in this system with Weir. I really hope he considers staying. He was very smart and efficient with his shot attempts too. I would think with Weir, the reigns would be opened a lot more and he can showcase his talent while helping the whole team win.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Lobojumpman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts
    I liked Harris and the way he played. What is interesting is when Neal was hired wasn't he telling folks he wanted to play quicker than Alford and get the ball up and down the court. I have been watching the Lobos for a long time and every single coach who has come here has wanted to play quicker but after a few games it always goes back to a slower tempo and coaches calling plays and slowing things down so they can control everything. I read someplace where Neal said he had over 400 offensive sets and was cutting it down to 90. Hopefully the defense can set the tempo for Weir.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to elcorazon86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 22 Times in 10 Posts

Hello CanMitchell, thanks for the info! Can you confirm if coach Weir is actively trying to keep Jalen at UNM?

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to alphadog76 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 3 Times in 2 Posts
    You have to instill confidence in your players, recognize & allow them to do what they do best. That's the reason why they were noticed in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by pitwolf83 View Post
    I was reading through the board yesterday and saw some posters who said we needed a point who could shoot... wha?? As mentioned above, Jalen never got a chance to shoot. It seemed like he was pulled every time he pulled the trigger. Not to mention, Hunter can shoot as well. I'm sure Jalen will be an excellent scorer when he is allowed to be. I've always thought that he and Jefferson have the most potential on this team. It's amazing Neal got some of these kids to come here given the way he handled them during the season. Snake oil salesman...

30. The Following 14 Users Say Thanks to Houston Hoop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,864 Times in 1,248 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 64 Times in 44 Posts
    I mentioned in another thread that Jalen still needed a little work on his outside shot (definitely not that pull up jumper), but most of us here could see the "holding back" that was going on with multiple players on this roster. That must have took a great toll on everyone's confidence, and shooting a basketball has everything to do with confidence.

Hopefully Jalen sticks around, I really feel he would thrive in Weir's fast-paced system. No more of Neal's "pro sets" looking to only get one or two guys shots.

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 61 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pitwolf83 View Post
    Harris' FG% was 44%.....26% from 3 point range...Imagine with a year behind him those numbers will rise

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Hoops For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,190 Times in 1,410 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoops View Post
    Harris' FG% was 44%.....26% from 3 point range...Imagine with a year behind him those numbers will rise
    and if you subtract his 3 point attempts, he actually shot 50% from inside the arc. It's only his long range shot that needs to start dropping, and I'm confident that he will make that happen.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Howler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 18,015 Times in 4,807 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 100 Times in 65 Posts
    Thank you for sharing. I think Jalen and Jefferson could make for a killer back court. Jalen showed a lot of talent and I loved how he was faster with the ball than others were without the ball. I really hope that Coach Weir and Jalen can work things out but regardless I hope Jalen does what's best for himself and family and wish him the best. It should be a fun season and I am excited with the direction of the program I do hope that Jalen is a part of what we are building.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 141 Times in 66 Posts
    I hope Jalen decides to stay. I loved what I saw from him this past year. Next year could be even better.
    Robin - yes, I am a female sports fan!

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to ABQrobin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 542 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 232 Times in 59 Posts
    Yeah I've been a huge Jalen fan. This guy is quick, poised, and when he shot the ball he had a smooth jumper! Out of everyone on the team I've been looking forward to see what he could in the coming years. Stay and destroy these MWC teams Jalen. Don't get lost in a P5 team.

41. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to boingee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,001 Times in 1,745 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 91 Times in 72 Posts

Thank you for the information. It helps to minimize the speculation. For those of us who have watched the program over the past few years under Neal and those of us who watched Jalen, we knew that Jalen was being held back. You are 100% correct that when the team got out and ran it was successful and we really got to see what Jalen can do. I hope he decides to stay because next year's team should really be let go to run and run. With a focus on guards and more mobile big men, I think Jalen will really do well here.

43. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to jbarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yes Coach Weir is trying to convince him to stay.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Bullchuter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,980 Times in 2,461 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 188 Times in 99 Posts
    Jalen has a unique gift of speed on the court. Coach Weir can develop that skill into a very good player. Not too many defensive players can maintain a defensive posture against someone who can break them down and drive past them easily. I think Jalen has that kind of potential. As to his shooting, well that does make for an improvement area over what we've seen last year. I feel confident that too will improve with Coach Weir. Stay Jalen...you know the layout...give us your best and let's see what happens. We want you back.
    GO LOBOS.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Bullchuter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 13 Times in 6 Posts
    This is the exact reason why you coach coaches should watch what you post because you never know who's reading

48. The Following 15 Users Say Thanks to guillotine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,722 Times in 2,298 Posts
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Groan
    Groaned 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Really hope Coach Weir is successful in keeping Jalen.

50. The Following 16 Users Say Thanks to datildame For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,498 Times in 1,424 Posts
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Groan
    Groaned 182 Times in 89 Posts
    Yes Coach Weir is trying to convince him to stay.
    Let it be known that I speak for everyone in saying that ALL Lobo fans would love for Jalen to stay here at UNM. He is a very talented player and would fit well into the scheme that Coach Weir wants to play. Nonetheless, I wish him well no matter his decision.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,023 Times in 3,319 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 66 Times in 52 Posts
    Hope he stays. Another player whose talents can electrify The Pit.
    Go Jalen.

53. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,333 Times in 1,082 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 28 Times in 22 Posts
    This is what is crazy about Neal and last year......he recruited a very athletic group of kids yet CHOSE to play slow. I moaned and groaned about it all year last year this walking the ball up, micro managed offense we were playing! IF he would have played the game that matched the kids he had here, he would probably still be the coach! It is almost like he started over thinking or he just HAD to manage the game instead of letting the kids and their athletic ability shine! We absolutely have the athletes...just need a coach to bring them all together and make them into a team!!!! On top of this you look at the hoops IQ of this group and it is very high as well ( not always the case with athletic teams) The ceiling is the roof for this team next year....sorry fellas but I have very high expectations for you next year!!!!

55. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 330 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 27 Times in 15 Posts
    Thank you for the explanation. Personally, I like Craig Neal. But this is a lot of what I thought was wrong the last few years, and especially last year, and it is why I felt it was time for a change.

I hope Jalen returns; I honestly believe he will thrive in the new system.

57. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to hunterig For This Useful Post:

Thread Information