Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DJ status!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 458 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 169 Times in 69 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
    WB DJ!

Starting 5 as it stands today:

Hunter
    Jefferson
    Kuiper
    Logwood
    MacDougall

I like your starting lineup but Weir will get at least one of his guys in the starting lineup. Could be Simons or someone else. There's too much inconsistency and not enough offensive fire power in that group for them all to be starters IMHO. Without EB and TW in the lineup last season, the team really struggled to score consistently. They need someone else in there to provide a spark on offense.
    "I was trying to be aggressive," Snell said. "I heard the crowd so I just shot the ball."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Red Crush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Okay, I'm going to say this again as a few have already hinted or mentioned briefly on here. Please do not judge players from the previous system they were playing under. It's a new day and new system. All these guys came from programs where they ran the floor and scored. That's all we need to know. :)

Quote Originally Posted by BrutusXXX View Post
    Totally agree with Julie. Their are still a couple of pieces missing from this puzzle. I am expecting, possibly, a couple of athletic forwards, along with another guard. Weir has not uttered the word "rebuild" once. He is looking to compete and win immediately.

I don't think Weir is determining who will start based on past performance or potential, but on who gives him what he wants. From what I gather, what he wants is all out effort on both ends of the court.

I don't think you can pencil in anyone at this point, and especially at the PG slot. Neal often complained that Hunter was not running the offense quick enough. Weir will demand it run much faster than last season. Lobos will have to go deep to fulfill what Weir envisions running. He has envoked Ellenberger's teams as examples of what he wants to run. That means high intensity defense that fuels the offense for easy buckets.
    Last edited by Houston Hoop; 5 Days Ago at 10:31 AM.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to Houston Hoop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 3 Times in 2 Posts
    We will know when the season starts what will happen. I hope the chains have been removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Crush View Post
    I like your starting lineup but Weir will get at least one of his guys in the starting lineup. Could be Simons or someone else. There's too much inconsistency and not enough offensive fire power in that group for them all to be starters IMHO. Without EB and TW in the lineup last season, the team really struggled to score consistently. They need someone else in there to provide a spark on offense.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Houston Hoop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,942 Times in 330 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Some of his guys? I think they are now all Paul Weir's guys or they should not be here. I understand you may mean his recruits, but he had to re-recruit these guys back to UNM. And if he is going to favor a player over those staying because he brought them in fresh, then all the returning players should leave. Your statement that he will start a couple of guys infers he is going to favor the new over the loyal. I certainly do not believe that will be the case.

I believe that Weir will start the five he feels provide a good start to a game and finish with the five he feels are best down the stretch, depending on whether we have the lead or are trailing. I believe in between he will rotate the guys and provide minutes to the players who earn those minutes. And if he is indeed going to press and push the pace, he will need 10 to 13 guys to be ready to go.

Conditioning will also be key. I felt that conditioning has been an issue the last several years; it seems that the Lobos were the tired team at the end of the game. It seemed that started when Craig Neal fired or drove away the local guy (Diego Romer? I believe) and hired the guy from Virginia. Conditioning around sea level is certainly different than conditioning at altitude. I don't know for certain that this was an issue, but it seemed to me that it was.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to hunterig For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Bullchuter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,980 Times in 2,461 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 188 Times in 99 Posts
    Coach Weir..."Just start or play the best five you have".....backed up by the best 2nd's at each position. !!!

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 1 Post
    Awesome! DJ is my favorite Lobo.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,279 Times in 3,696 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 363 Times in 174 Posts
    I'm glad Jefferson will continue to be a Lobo - also glad he never asked for his release. While I'm happy if any/all of our Lobos who asked for their release decide to stay and Coach Weir wants them (still no official word on Mathis I don't think), I am extremely gratified by the loyalty shown by all the Lobos who never asked for their release - its a loyalty that should be returned by we fans (regardless of how good or not you think a particular player might be) and I think it will be.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Groan
    Groaned 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Glad dj is staying definitely 1 of my favorites
    Last edited by spot505; 5 Days Ago at 05:23 PM.

Thread Information