Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 30 Times in 24 Posts

OT: Lobo Baseball

First Post Banner
    Since this board gets all the traffic just wanted to point out that the Lobo Baseball team is in 1st place in the MWC and just took the series from #2 Aztecs. If they can finish strong they should host the Conference Tournament. As I watch them play on the net I am disappointed that they can't get more support when they play home series. Coach B has these guys playing really good baseball and are scoring lots of runs! They are only 26-18 but have played one of the toughest schedules in the country this year. The Lobos have 2 more home series and it would be nice if the community gave Coach B and the Lobo Baseball team some love. There is nothing like going to a college baseball game when there are 10,000 fans at the game....different atmosphere!! Coach B has really turned the UNM program into one that is respected around the country...we are lucky to have him!!!!

2. The Following User has GroanedArkansasLobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you TheLoboMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,964 Times in 2,059 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 418 Times in 173 Posts
    I go to every home game no matter the weather.

I just wish they could win some non conference games. It's great to play the toughest schedule in the country but at some point you have to beat some of those guys.

Please support the baseball team. We have a great coach in Ray Birmingham. He was born and raised a New Mexican. He is the most passionate coach in UNM history in all sports. His native blood NM blood flows like no other. There is not another person in this state who loves the state of NM more than Ray Birmingham. NONE!!! When this state sends leaders to visit corporations to attract jobs here we need to send Ray as part of that contingency. He would bring big time jobs here.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to TheLoboMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,087 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 77 Times in 40 Posts
    getting 2 out of 3 at the 2nd place teams crib was big......especially the multiple comebacks in the rubber game yesterday. That has to weigh on the Aztecs minds in the future and give the Lobos confidence for the future.

Piteous
    Can you believe my neighbor came knocking at my door at 2:30 AM this morning......Good thing I was still up playing my bagpipes......

.....maybe next year......

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to pitboss For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,276 Times in 4,064 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 502 Times in 217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoboMan View Post
    I go to every home game no matter the weather.

I just wish they could win some non conference games. It's great to play the toughest schedule in the country but at some point you have to beat some of those guys.

Please support the baseball team. We have a great coach in Ray Birmingham. He was born and raised a New Mexican. He is the most passionate coach in UNM history in all sports. His native blood NM blood flows like no other. There is not another person in this state who loves the state of NM more than Ray Birmingham. NONE!!! When this state sends leaders to visit corporations to attract jobs here we need to send Ray as part of that contingency. He would bring big time jobs here.
    Good post but I thought they had beat some of the ranked teams just not won the series with them. Am I wrong? Thanks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    All those tough losses and road games will benefit this team down the stretch. It is a process to become a big time program and Coach B is on track. Look at Gonzaga in hoops...they played anyone anywhere and took some beatings but made it to the NC game this year. Dallas Baptist, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and even Missouri State are all post season teams. I love where Coach B is taking this program.....he needs the support of the community!!!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,793 Times in 5,039 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,164 Times in 675 Posts
    Didn't they just split with ranked Texas Tech?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to NMFANINOKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by NMFANINOKC View Post
    #6 ranked Texas Tech!!!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,939 Times in 1,901 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 46 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NMFANINOKC View Post
    Yes. Split games here. Lost 2 in Lubbock really early in the season.

Went to a game a couple of weeks ago. Lots of fun. Nice place to see a game. Good atmosphere. I'll go again if I can -- timings often hard to do with a job and a kid in HS sports ....

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to catherine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 10 Times in 5 Posts
    Love Lobo baseball and especially love Ray Birmingham. Game tomorrow (Tuesday) against NMSU begins at 6:30p.m. UNM Alumni is hosting a tailgate beginning at 5:00p.m. Free food, so who can resist that? Tickets to the baseball game are only $3.00. Should be great weather so come on out and support the Lobos!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to klwjrw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Bump to keep the mojo going for Coach B and the Lobos!!!

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Non conference games don't matter much. Yes it's nice to win against the big name teams but winning against the conference is what matters. I was the ace of my staff at Morehead State which meant I hardly ever pitched those mid week games. Although I did get a win against Kentucky! But they didnt pitch their best against us because it wasn't a conference game. Especially in a year where is doesn't seem likely to get an at large bid, you have to win your conference.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to drethedawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by drethedawg View Post
    Non conference games don't matter much. Yes it's nice to win against the big name teams but winning against the conference is what matters. I was the ace of my staff at Morehead State which meant I hardly ever pitched those mid week games. Although I did get a win against Kentucky! But they didnt pitch their best against us because it wasn't a conference game. Especially in a year where is doesn't seem likely to get an at large bid, you have to win your conference.
    Agree with you here although it is not always just about the pitching....most midweek games still have the majority of the starters in....so it boils down to can our starters out hit and score more then theirs against what is probably better 2nd tier pitching. We have done well against those teams and that has certainly helped us in our conference games!!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,139 Times in 992 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 48 Times in 25 Posts
    Magic number is 4 to win the MWC Regular Season Championship.
    Three game series @ Fresno State this weekend.
    Three game series vs Nevada at home May 18, 19, and 20th.

The regular season champions host the MWC tournament.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to lbc7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 1,639 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 56 Times in 38 Posts
    They have the #1 non-conference SOS in the country. A 10-16 non-conference record isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. I'm not too familiar with how the selection process works in college baseball, but if it's anything at all similar to basketball, they're probably on the bubble for an at-large berth.
    FEAR NOTHING!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,107 Times in 444 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 67 Times in 17 Posts
    When the season started, I felt this year's team was capable of winning 40 games. Considering the number of games remaining, including conference and possible NCAA playoff games, this no longer seems possible. Possibly I underestimated the out of conference schedule.
    In my view and I think the coaches may agree, this talented team has underperformed. When a team averages about 9 runs per game, how does one explain losing 7 one-run games in a row and getting shut out 5 times.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Walkon For This Useful Post:

29. The Following 3 Users Have Groaned Walkon For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 224 Times in 58 Posts
    They need a new pitching coach to be real honest!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,545 Times in 3,445 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 69 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkon View Post
    When the season started, I felt this year's team was capable of winning 40 games. Considering the number of games remaining, including conference and possible NCAA playoff games, this no longer seems possible. Possibly I underestimated the out of conference schedule.
    In my view and I think the coaches may agree, this talented team has underperformed. When a team averages about 9 runs per game, how does one explain losing 7 one-run games in a row and getting shut out 5 times.
    That has to come down to late inning pitching and potentially defense. They've earned some respect outside of the MW and that's a great thing to keep building on. Go Lobo Baseball.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you TheLoboMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,964 Times in 2,059 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 418 Times in 173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasLobo View Post
    #6 ranked Texas Tech!!!
    1 win is great. But we played many top non conference teams and didn't fair well. Cal State Fullerton, Oklahoma State, Dallas Baptist and on and on. Beating NMSU 3 out of 4 is ok but it isn't like beating some of the big boys.

I still have faith in this team to do well in the NCAA tourney.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoboMan View Post
    1 win is great. But we played many top non conference teams and didn't fair well. Cal State Fullerton, Oklahoma State, Dallas Baptist and on and on. Beating NMSU 3 out of 4 is ok but it isn't like beating some of the big boys.

I still have faith in this team to do well in the NCAA tourney.
    also 1 out of 3 from ranked Dallas Babtist with all three games at DB.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

BYF

Thanks
    Groan
    I swear man....some of you people will NEVER be happy with anything! If we won every game by 10 runs you guys would still find something to complain about.....and of course YOU have all of the answers and solutions to ALL of the problems we are having!!! SMDH

37. The Following 19 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,107 Times in 444 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 67 Times in 17 Posts
    As Jack Nicholson said in the movie "A Few Good Men"- "You can't handle the truth"

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Head to head in a weekend series, UNM could play with anyone

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to NMFANINOKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Its interesting to me that those who criticize say they are just "telling it like it is" or "being objective" but those that are positive are "polyannas" or "sunshine pumpers" - I think that is NOT objective or "how it is" - its just as truthful/realistic to take a positive outlook as it is a negative. Neither are actually facts but rather opinions. The only actual facts are the final scores, not interpretations of them. Saying the Lobos "under-preformed" is just an opinion, not a fact just like saying they are on a par with anybody in the country is an opinion, not a fact. If you lemon suckers want to actually be "telling it like it is" or "telling the truth," or be objective then say its your opinion not a fact and if you actually want to talk facts, then recite the scoreboards and don't "rate" the opponents as that is just an opinion. If you want to have an opinion that is fine but it is what it is, an opinion and some are positive and some are lemon suckers.

42. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkon View Post
    As Jack Nicholson said in the movie "A Few Good Men"- "You can't handle the truth"
    Here is the truth....UNM is a pimple on the ass of most P5 schools...and I love UNM! Right now Arkansas is building an addition onto their football stadium that probably is more then UNM's yearly athletic budget. Arkansas boasts 4 of the Top 100 companies in the country as boosters and they are one of the poorest P5 schools out there! I say this because it takes $$$$$$$ to build a program and UNM simply does not have it! So when I see a UNM team play hard, with effort, with a passion for the game and I see a Coach that cares about the University, the community, the State it means a Hell of a lot to me!

So walkon here is the real truth....some of you guys simply aren't worth the time worrying about!!! I'll keep supporting my Lobo Baseball team!!!!

44. The Following 14 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,545 Times in 3,445 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 69 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasLobo View Post
    Here is the truth....UNM is a pimple on the ass of most P5 schools...and I love UNM! Right now Arkansas is building an addition onto their football stadium that probably is more then UNM's yearly athletic budget. Arkansas boasts 4 of the Top 100 companies in the country as boosters and they are one of the poorest P5 schools out there! I say this because it takes $$$$$$$ to build a program and UNM simply does not have it! So when I see a UNM team play hard, with effort, with a passion for the game and I see a Coach that cares about the University, the community, the State it means a Hell of a lot to me!

So walkon here is the real truth....some of you guys simply aren't worth the time worrying about!!! I'll keep supporting my Lobo Baseball team!!!!
    For me, THIS, is the essence of being an amateur sports fan. It's why I root for the teams I do. It's why there are times I'd rather watch 7th grade ugly basketball rather than selfish big time basketball. Go Lobos.
    Last edited by Scott; 05-09-2017 at 06:26 PM.

46. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Ladies and gentlemen....let me present your UNM Baseball team......as they traveled to Fresno today they had their Annual "Ugly Suit Road Trip"..hahahaha, can't imagine what people thought when they saw this crew walking thru the airport!!!!! Good times!! https://twitter.com/UNMLoboBaseball https://twitter.com/UNMLoboBaseball

48. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,139 Times in 992 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 48 Times in 25 Posts
    Lobos are behind 9-3 bottom of 8th at Fresno State.
    Magic number is 3 regardless of tonight's outcome, Air Force defeated San Diego State earlier this evening.

50. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to lbc7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by lbc7 View Post
    Lobos are behind 9-3 bottom of 8th at Fresno State.
    Magic number is 3 regardless of tonight's outcome, Air Force defeated San Diego State earlier this evening.
    Thank Heather Wilson for those Zoomies!

52. The Following User has Groanedlobo12345 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Ugly suit road trip, that's classic and great stuff

Thanks
    Groan
    Living up to the ugly suites! Fresno is pumping us good this weekend.

55. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to lobo12345 For This Useful Post:

56. The Following User has Groanedlobo12345 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thread Information