Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 38

Thread: Matt Vail

  1. #1
    Lobo Lair King WeAre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Morrisville, NC
    Posts
    2,121
    Thanks
    1,384
    Thanked 3,072 Times in 971 Posts
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Groan
    172
    Groaned 75 Times in 39 Posts

    Matt Vail

    First Post Banner
    Grants native added to roster


  2. #2
    All Lobo Lair NightWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    2,680
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 5,148 Times in 1,329 Posts
    Groan
    10
    Groaned 642 Times in 144 Posts

  3. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to NightWolf For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Bullchuter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,733
    Thanks
    15,902
    Thanked 7,088 Times in 2,500 Posts
    Groan
    374
    Groaned 191 Times in 100 Posts
    Awesome......Good luck Matt. Congratulations on being a Lobo.

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Bullchuter For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Digital Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Abq
    Posts
    16,183
    Thanks
    12,234
    Thanked 44,308 Times in 10,498 Posts
    Groan
    4,157
    Groaned 638 Times in 396 Posts
    This is awesome and this addition has to bring a lot of pride to our Native American brothers and sisters.

    I'm thinking that that we must have had other Native American players on the Lobo men's basketball team before, but the only one that I can think of off the top of my head is Notch Neves.

    Welcome Matt!!!



    A mile high and louder than howl


  7. The Following 17 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    ABQ
    Posts
    10,566
    Thanks
    40,712
    Thanked 19,723 Times in 6,828 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    319
    Groaned 161 Times in 92 Posts
    Congratulations, Matt, and welcome to the Lobo Pack. It doesn't say, but I am guessing he is walking on, with the opportunity to earn a scholarship in the future. If that is wrong thinking on my part please let us know.


  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to loboray For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,693
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked 7,758 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Groan
    30
    Groaned 2,200 Times in 1,660 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loboray View Post
    Congratulations, Matt, and welcome to the Lobo Pack. It doesn't say, but I am guessing he is walking on, with the opportunity to earn a scholarship in the future. If that is wrong thinking on my part please let us know.
    does seem like he would be a "preferred" walk-on. Seems like a real good player.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you LoboAuto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Burque
    Posts
    3,570
    Thanks
    8,147
    Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,471 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Groan
    937
    Groaned 71 Times in 44 Posts
    Welcome Matt. Can't wait for you to shoot it up in the Pit. Congrats.


    JOHN 3:16
    WE ARE NEW MEXICO !




  13. The Following User Says Thank You to LoboAuto For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Lobo Lair King muyguapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,033
    Thanks
    6,365
    Thanked 9,210 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Groan
    320
    Groaned 658 Times in 200 Posts
    Kid can ball. Probably a walk-on but I bet he is part of the PT rotation by his junior/senior years.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to muyguapo For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,693
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked 7,758 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Groan
    30
    Groaned 2,200 Times in 1,660 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Lobo View Post
    This is awesome and this addition has to bring a lot of pride to our Native American brothers and sisters.

    I'm thinking that that we must have had other Native American players on the Lobo men's basketball team before, but the only one that I can think of off the top of my head is Notch Neves.

    Welcome Matt!!!
    Doesn't matter if he is of Martian descent, it's nice to see a very good player from our state get an opportunity with our favorite hoops team!

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Little Lobo LonnyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    366
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 164 Posts
    Groan
    25
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I work for a race track on the Gila River Indian Community (GRIC) just South of Phoenix. The history of this tribe remembers the importance of teaching the young all the way back to the Huhugam people who were the ancestors of many of today's "Akimel O'odham" (People of the River) now represented throughout the Pima and Maricopa people that live here and continue to move that history forward. Young people of the community with the high school credentials and the aspiration can have college gladly and proudly paid for by this community. It has become a rich addition to the member's lives here and it is recognized as a way of connecting the tribal traditions to the modern world through young community members that are able to bridge both cultures. Perhaps, the community Matt comes from offers something similar. As a side note, if any of you are familiar with Native American Basketball which the players call "Rez Ball", you know these guys can light it up on offense and their passing is lights out.


  19. #11
    Wolf Mike Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Abq
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    678
    Thanked 723 Times in 179 Posts
    Groan
    161
    Groaned 27 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_for_life View Post
    Doesn't matter if he is of Martian descent, it's nice to see a very good player from our state get an opportunity with our favorite hoops team!

    Yeah but him being Navajo is big deal because the Navajo Nation transcends state borders. There's hundreds of thousands of Navajos on the rez land and thousands more scattered throughout the country. If he ever becomes even a rotational player you best believe they'll know about it and show up to games. Just imagine the crazy press we would receive if he were to ever crack the starting lineup even for just a game. Native Americans have a lot of pride seeing their people in sports. Just look at Bronson Koenig at Wisconsin. He was immensely popular with native peoples and would often draw crowds during road games throughout the Midwest in support of his opposition on the Dakota Access Pipeline. Natives protect their own

  20. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to Mike Jones For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Donor MaxLobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,955
    Thanks
    1,327
    Thanked 6,302 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Groan
    8
    Groaned 170 Times in 90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LonnyMac View Post
    I work for a race track on the Gila River Indian Community (GRIC) just South of Phoenix. The history of this tribe remembers the importance of teaching the young all the way back to the Huhugam people who were the ancestors of many of today's "Akimel O'odham" (People of the River) now represented throughout the Pima and Maricopa people that live here and continue to move that history forward. Young people of the community with the high school credentials and the aspiration can have college gladly and proudly paid for by this community. It has become a rich addition to the member's lives here and it is recognized as a way of connecting the tribal traditions to the modern world through young community members that are able to bridge both cultures. Perhaps, the community Matt comes from offers something similar. As a side note, if any of you are familiar with Native American Basketball which the players call "Rez Ball", you know these guys can light it up on offense and their passing is lights out.
    Mr. Mac - just hoping you stick around on this site well after Connor's successful playing days are over. Your posts are appreciated. Thanks.

  22. The Following 14 Users Say Thanks to MaxLobo For This Useful Post:


  23. The Following User has GroanedMaxLobo For This Un-Useful Post:


  24. #13
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    4,481
    Thanks
    4,251
    Thanked 12,318 Times in 2,763 Posts
    Groan
    124
    Groaned 218 Times in 136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muyguapo View Post
    Kid can ball. Probably a walk-on but I bet he is part of the PT rotation by his junior/senior years.
    This is not a knock on the kid, but if Weir keeps recruiting 4 stars the way he is I don't think Vail will see much time.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:


  26. #14
    Little Lobo LonnyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    366
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 164 Posts
    Groan
    25
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
    the Navajo Nation transcends state borders.
    Jones hit the nail on the head with his take...The Navajo Nation is spread over three states and there are 300,000+ members in the US with right around 200,000 on tribal land.

  27. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to LonnyMac For This Useful Post:


  28. #15
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,693
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked 7,758 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Groan
    30
    Groaned 2,200 Times in 1,660 Posts
    Anyway, it's all a very good thing!

  29. #16
    Wolf colt45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    tucumcari
    Age
    58
    Posts
    305
    Thanks
    648
    Thanked 589 Times in 163 Posts
    Groan
    40
    Groaned 113 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMerciful_1 View Post
    This is not a knock on the kid, but if Weir keeps recruiting 4 stars the way he is I don't think Vail will see much time.
    Yea he will prolly fall on the wayside like them un 4 and 5 star guys we had. I think their names were Snell and Bairstow....

  30. #17
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    4,481
    Thanks
    4,251
    Thanked 12,318 Times in 2,763 Posts
    Groan
    124
    Groaned 218 Times in 136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45 View Post
    Yea he will prolly fall on the wayside like them un 4 and 5 star guys we had. I think their names were Snell and Bairstow....
    Snell and Bairstow were given scholarships I really hope you're not comparing them to walkons. Every year someone will post that one of our walkons could see significant playing time, yet it rarely happens. Remember Kory Alford? Go back and look at the posts after he won the 3 point shooting contest at the howl. Many penciled him in for major minutes right then and there. How did that work out.

    In the past 10 years I can only think of 2 walkons that got major time. One, Chad Toppert, earned a scholarship. The other, Tim Jacobs, was a preferred walkon, and he still needed a major injury to significant minutes. That's 2 out of probably 12 or so during that period. That's not a great percentage.

    Look, I wish this young man well, but in order for him to play major minutes one of two things would have to happen. There has to be a major injury, or Weir has to miss on a kid he gave a scholarship to. I for one hope neither of those two things happens.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:


  32. #18
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,693
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked 7,758 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Groan
    30
    Groaned 2,200 Times in 1,660 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMerciful_1 View Post
    Snell and Bairstow were given scholarships I really hope you're not comparing them to walkons. Every year someone will post that one of our walkons could see significant playing time, yet it rarely happens. Remember Kory Alford? Go back and look at the posts after he won the 3 point shooting contest at the howl. Many penciled him in for major minutes right then and there. How did that work out.

    In the past 10 years I can only think of 2 walkons that got major time. One, Chad Toppert, earned a scholarship. The other, Tim Jacobs, was a preferred walkon, and he still needed a major injury to significant minutes. That's 2 out of probably 12 or so during that period. That's not a great percentage.

    Look, I wish this young man well, but in order for him to play major minutes one of two things would have to happen. There has to be a major injury, or Weir has to miss on a kid he gave a scholarship to. I for one hope neither of those two things happens.
    I agree with the points you've made, but I think most of us understand the biggest reason Tim Jacobs didn't get major minutes.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:


  34. #19
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Digital Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Abq
    Posts
    16,183
    Thanks
    12,234
    Thanked 44,308 Times in 10,498 Posts
    Groan
    4,157
    Groaned 638 Times in 396 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_for_life View Post
    Doesn't matter if he is of Martian descent, it's nice to see a very good player from our state get an opportunity with our favorite hoops team!
    The Lobo athletic department deemed it worth mentioning Matt's Native American heritage on their primary media platform, golobos.com.

    Perhaps you might want to direct your misgivings to them.

    "ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Head Lobo men's basketball coach Paul Weir announces the addition of Matt Vail, a Navajo native from Grants, New Mexico."

    http://golobos.com/news/2017/8/11/me...matt-vail.aspx



    A mile high and louder than howl


  35. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:


  36. #20
    Paw Prints Bigdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Corrales
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 211 Times in 54 Posts
    Groan
    8
    Groaned 48 Times in 15 Posts
    I am familiar with it and you are right! They can play.

    Congratulations Matt.

  37. #21
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,693
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked 7,758 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Groan
    30
    Groaned 2,200 Times in 1,660 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Lobo View Post
    The Lobo athletic department deemed it worth mentioning Matt's Native American heritage on their primary media platform, golobos.com.

    Perhaps you might want to direct your misgivings to them.

    "ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Head Lobo men's basketball coach Paul Weir announces the addition of Matt Vail, a Navajo native from Grants, New Mexico."

    http://golobos.com/news/2017/8/11/me...matt-vail.aspx
    "Misgivings"? What does that mean?

  38. #22
    Little Lobo Hoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 528 Times in 141 Posts
    Groan
    26
    Groaned 80 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
    Yeah but him being Navajo is big deal because the Navajo Nation transcends state borders. There's hundreds of thousands of Navajos on the rez land and thousands more scattered throughout the country. If he ever becomes even a rotational player you best believe they'll know about it and show up to games. Just imagine the crazy press we would receive if he were to ever crack the starting lineup even for just a game. Native Americans have a lot of pride seeing their people in sports. Just look at Bronson Koenig at Wisconsin. He was immensely popular with native peoples and would often draw crowds during road games throughout the Midwest in support of his opposition on the Dakota Access Pipeline. Natives protect their own
    Koenig drew crowds during road games in support of his opposition to the Dakota Access Pipeline...immensely popular??? So Wisconsin plays in Bloomington, College Park, Columbus, Iowa City and Lincoln and folks there flock to the game to see him.

  39. #23
    Wolf Mike Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Abq
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    678
    Thanked 723 Times in 179 Posts
    Groan
    161
    Groaned 27 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoops View Post
    Koenig drew crowds during road games in support of his opposition to the Dakota Access Pipeline...immensely popular??? So Wisconsin plays in Bloomington, College Park, Columbus, Iowa City and Lincoln and folks there flock to the game to see him.
    Ask and you shall receive, brethren:

    https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...ccess-pipeline


    EDIT: The quote you're looking for is this: "Native Americans have flocked to Koenig’s games since before he started high school in La Crosse, Wis. They come to the Kohl Center in Madison and also show up at his road games, often presenting him with gifts and beadwork crafted just for him."

    As I stated before, Native Americans take care of their own
    Last edited by Mike Jones; 1 Week Ago at 03:38 PM.

  40. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Mike Jones For This Useful Post:


  41. #24
    Pup CiCoLobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Rafael, NM
    Age
    61
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    1,414
    Thanked 165 Times in 34 Posts
    Groan
    45
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Mike Jones is correct when he talks about a loud fun loving crowd for a basketball game (see previous Kirtland Central and Gallup games in the Pit for the High School championship games!). Twenty years ago I really hoped that the Lobos would sign his Dad (Grants previous "best Baller"). Better late than never- lol
    Last edited by CiCoLobo; 1 Week Ago at 04:29 PM.

  42. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to CiCoLobo For This Useful Post:


  43. #25
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you COLOLOBO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,890
    Thanks
    11,121
    Thanked 8,283 Times in 2,437 Posts
    Groan
    795
    Groaned 527 Times in 209 Posts
    I have never seen a bunch like this, a good thing happens and you guys do your best you make it a downer!

  44. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to COLOLOBO For This Useful Post:


  45. #26
    Little Lobo LonnyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    366
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 164 Posts
    Groan
    25
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CiCoLobo View Post
    Mike Jones is correct when he talks about a loud fun loving crowd for a basketball game (see previous Kirtland Central and Gallup games in the Pit for the High School championship games!). Twenty years ago I really hoped that the Lobos would sign his Dad (Grants previous "best Baller"). Better late than never- lol
    CMac's junior year of HS saw him playing multiple JUCO squads. One was Tohno O'odham community college. They featured Native American ballers that had everything required but size. The Tohono O'odham fans were amazing. HS games featuring tribal teams in AZ routinely draw 7000 fans. They are an exciting atmospheres to be part of. If Matt gets a following and can play himself onto the court to any degree at all it will surely ignite the Navajo fan base. And maybe the NCAA will give Weir an exception to provide a camp up near the Four Corners area.

    http://www.maxpreps.com/news/CPsgRCZ...ajo-nation.htm

  46. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to LonnyMac For This Useful Post:


  47. #27
    All Lobo Lair catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    2,970
    Thanks
    23,544
    Thanked 9,932 Times in 1,900 Posts
    Groan
    290
    Groaned 46 Times in 24 Posts
    Mods ... wondering if it makes sense to include a short statement about why posts were deleted.

    I'd hate for Matt or his family or friends to read this thread and erroneously assume that posts were deleted because of what they said about him or his community. It could be an easy--but incorrect--conclusion to jump to.

  48. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to catherine For This Useful Post:


  49. #28
    Wise Wolf Walkon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Posts
    739
    Thanks
    3,074
    Thanked 2,107 Times in 444 Posts
    Groan
    100
    Groaned 67 Times in 17 Posts
    When Notch Neves played for the Lobos, quite a contingent from the Ute Mountain Tribe near Cortez, Co would show up when UNM played at Air Force.

  50. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Walkon For This Useful Post:


  51. #29
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sandia Park NM
    Posts
    5,677
    Thanks
    15,873
    Thanked 20,269 Times in 4,061 Posts
    Groan
    404
    Groaned 502 Times in 217 Posts
    Welcome young Mr. Vail. Very happy that a NM kid is joining our Lobos. We wish you a very successful college career at UNM academically, socially, and athletically. Go Lobos, young man.

  52. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:


  53. #30
    Pack Leader. boingee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Age
    37
    Posts
    917
    Thanks
    873
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 618 Posts
    Groan
    91
    Groaned 257 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    Welcome young Mr. Vail. Very happy that a NM kid is joining our Lobos. We wish you a very successful college career at UNM academically, socially, and athletically. Go Lobos, young man.
    DA, are these copy and pasted from a pre-written script? I would like to see more welcomes being tailored to fit each kid's skill sets and to possibly reflect your current enthusiasm.
    -Sent from my Nintendo Game & Watch

  54. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned boingee For This Un-Useful Post:



 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Matt Staff getting some PT
    By DROP-n-BOS1 in forum Lobo Basketball
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 11:24 AM
  2. Matt Staff
    By attydude in forum Lobo Basketball
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 04:01 PM
  3. Matt Staff
    By SlamJamDan in forum Lobo Basketball
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 11:20 PM
  4. Matt Quillen has
    By Mark in forum Byrd's Board #22
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 11:57 AM
  5. Matt Staff
    By lobograd in forum Lobo Basketball
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 02:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •