Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Wolf BigMel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Portales
    Posts
    321
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 866 Times in 191 Posts
    Groan
    0
    Groaned 32 Times in 19 Posts

    If the Lobo players work as hard as their coach.......

    First Post Banner
    I must say I'm impressed with what Weir and his staff has done in super late recruiting. It's clear he's willing to match the effort he expects with his players.

    He's got a tough task ahead to shape a bunch of strangers into a cohesive team in a very short period of time, but he's sure got my attention.

    I'll still be happy with a .500 season, but I'm cautiously beginning to think it could be more than that.


  2. #2
    Pup Ltlobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Los Ranchos
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 136 Times in 38 Posts
    Groan
    15
    Groaned 74 Times in 16 Posts
    Very encouraged by Coach! Go Lobos!

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Ltlobo For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Lobo Dog Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Abq
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 52 Times in 5 Posts
    Groan
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No way this team has a .500 season. The shackles of the tedious offense the team ran under coach Neal will be taken off. Look for Mathis, Kuiper, and especially Logwood to break out this year. There are plenty of players on this team that have never gotten a real chance to show what they can do. I would also expect to see huge impact from Mcdougal(sp?) This team should compete for a top 3 regular season finish. Coach Weir has shown that he is a real leader. His old team won 21 in a row last year.

  5. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Jones For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    The Man Bloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
    Posts
    8,225
    Thanks
    21,445
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 5,104 Posts
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Groan
    656
    Groaned 97 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    No way this team has a .500 season. The shackles of the tedious offense the team ran under coach Neal will be taken off. Look for Mathis, Kuiper, and especially Logwood to break out this year. There are plenty of players on this team that have never gotten a real chance to show what they can do. I would also expect to see huge impact from Mcdougal(sp?) This team should compete for a top 3 regular season finish. Coach Weir has shown that he is a real leader. His old team won 21 in a row last year.
    My suspicions are similar to yours, but I leave that on the best case scenario end of the ledger.
    My mid- to worst case scenarios include a myriad of starts, ranging from meh to not good, but all of them contain no collapses down the stretch months of February and March.
    By the end of the season, I almost expect we'll truly be a team nobody wants to have to play in a tournament, whatever those tournaments may be.




    "I'm sorry, but if you were right, I'd agree with you." -Robin Williams

  7. The Following 14 Users Say Thanks to Bloo For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Little Lobo Bigdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Corrales
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 296 Times in 84 Posts
    Groan
    15
    Groaned 53 Times in 17 Posts
    I'm thinking we will be above .500. We lost some good players, but, IMO, I don't think they ever played as a team or with great effort. Coach Neal's famous last words were.." You can't coach effort". I disagree. We lost to many teams without as much talent as we had. We had a couple of guys that all they cared about was their individual performance and not the team performance.

    I think this team has better talent than last year and I think that coach Weir will teach them to rise to the occasion. I think they will play as a team and win as a team. You are right Big Mel....Coach Weir works hard and it sets a good example for this year's team.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Bigdawg For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Donor wolf1960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,416
    Thanks
    21,600
    Thanked 11,864 Times in 4,282 Posts
    Groan
    356
    Groaned 136 Times in 65 Posts
    I expect the players will work/play as the coaches have done recruiting. Coach W. will be involved during the game working refs, coaching sets, and coaching effort. I believe the offense we will see will be exciting and hopefully the fans react with more standing and louder cheering, lets bring the PIT back to what is supposed to be, 1 MILE HIGH AND LOUDER THAN H#^^. Fans can get players playing hard... Fans can take back the PIT..

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to wolf1960 For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    5,008
    Thanks
    4,772
    Thanked 14,131 Times in 3,131 Posts
    Groan
    142
    Groaned 281 Times in 161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    No way this team has a .500 season. The shackles of the tedious offense the team ran under coach Neal will be taken off. Look for Mathis, Kuiper, and especially Logwood to break out this year. There are plenty of players on this team that have never gotten a real chance to show what they can do. I would also expect to see huge impact from Mcdougal(sp?) This team should compete for a top 3 regular season finish. Coach Weir has shown that he is a real leader. His old team won 21 in a row last year.
    I love your enthusiasm, but we've only got an 11 man roster. If you take out the 2 freshmen, because freshmen all develop at their own pace, that leaves 9. I believe that we can have a very nice rotation with the remaining 9 players and possibly challenge for a MWC title. However, the one thing we can't afford is major injuries like we had last year. In order for our best case scenario to materialize we have to stay healthy.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Wolf Ryil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    325
    Thanks
    457
    Thanked 807 Times in 211 Posts
    Groan
    39
    Groaned 35 Times in 18 Posts
    I'd be surprised to see this team win a conference title because I just don't see a star player at the title level. Even a player like Dairese Gary, for example, was not good enough to carry the team to a title during the year when he was the best player. That said, I do think that the talent on this team is good enough to do better than last year's.

  15. #9
    Wise Wolf zygote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    ABQ
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    1,931
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 347 Posts
    Groan
    12
    Groaned 10 Times in 7 Posts
    One of my saddest moments as a Lobo fan was when D's knee buckled. There was an horrific silence in the arena, and I'm sure in every living room with a TV. Dairese was all about toughness and heart, and that attitude made him the unquestioned leader. Alford's first best move was to bring him to UNM. He set the tone for what was to follow. A true Lobo.

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to zygote For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Wolf BigMel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Portales
    Posts
    321
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 866 Times in 191 Posts
    Groan
    0
    Groaned 32 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf1960 View Post
    I expect the players will work/play as the coaches have done recruiting. Coach W. will be involved during the game working refs, coaching sets, and coaching effort. I believe the offense we will see will be exciting and hopefully the fans react with more standing and louder cheering, lets bring the PIT back to what is supposed to be, 1 MILE HIGH AND LOUDER THAN H#^^. Fans can get players playing hard... Fans can take back the PIT..
    MAKE THE PIT GREAT AGAIN -

    LET LOOSE THE WEIRWOLVES

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to BigMel For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Edmond
    Age
    49
    Posts
    12,948
    Thanks
    4,424
    Thanked 17,329 Times in 5,552 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    893
    Groaned 1,883 Times in 1,179 Posts
    We will win 20 plus games, count on it

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to NMFANINOKC For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Lobo Lair King SoCalLobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,311
    Thanks
    4,491
    Thanked 8,178 Times in 1,627 Posts
    Groan
    89
    Groaned 62 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMerciful_1 View Post
    I love your enthusiasm, but we've only got an 11 man roster. If you take out the 2 freshmen, because freshmen all develop at their own pace, that leaves 9. I believe that we can have a very nice rotation with the remaining 9 players and possibly challenge for a MWC title. However, the one thing we can't afford is major injuries like we had last year. In order for our best case scenario to materialize we have to stay healthy.
    Every single one of Alford's teams had the same, or in some years fewer, players as we do this season.
    "Believe or Leave"

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to SoCalLobo For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Pack Leader. Soonlobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Oklahoma Boonies
    Age
    53
    Posts
    964
    Thanks
    942
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 506 Posts
    Groan
    67
    Groaned 66 Times in 31 Posts
    If Weir gets the team to buy into the "Run and Stun" this program will make waves soon.

    This system is perfect for UNM. Wear the other team out with the press. The Lobos will get the home crowd in the game and will be able to compete against more talented teams.

  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Soonlobo For This Useful Post:


  25. #14
    Wolf Ryil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    325
    Thanks
    457
    Thanked 807 Times in 211 Posts
    Groan
    39
    Groaned 35 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote View Post
    One of my saddest moments as a Lobo fan was when D's knee buckled. There was an horrific silence in the arena, and I'm sure in every living room with a TV. Dairese was all about toughness and heart, and that attitude made him the unquestioned leader. Alford's first best move was to bring him to UNM. He set the tone for what was to follow. A true Lobo.
    Agreed on that, and I didn't mean any disrespect to him.

  26. #15
    Super Moderator Peacesells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    5,686
    Thanks
    12,397
    Thanked 17,976 Times in 3,842 Posts
    Groan
    275
    Groaned 242 Times in 155 Posts
    Wow
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

  27. #16
    Little Lobo Bigdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Corrales
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 296 Times in 84 Posts
    Groan
    15
    Groaned 53 Times in 17 Posts
    Neal only played 7-9 players each game and usually only 7 We will be just fine with our 11.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdawg For This Useful Post:



 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hard to be a Lobo fan sometimes...
    By LeeRoyLucero in forum Byrd's Board #22
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-12-2016, 11:43 AM
  2. Hard Work never stops
    By reelsteele in forum Lobo Basketball
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2013, 02:02 AM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM
  5. Lobos most hard nosed players!
    By COLOLOBO in forum Lobo Basketball
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 08-08-2010, 04:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •