Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 680 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 317 Times in 77 Posts

President Finalist Are...

First Post Banner

• Dr. David A. Brenner. He currently serves as University of California San Diego’s vice chancellor for health sciences and School of Medicine dean. His oversight includes a pharmacy school and UC San Diego Health, which has about 9,000 employees and includes three hospitals, a cancer center and clinics.
    • Dr. Kenneth Kaushansky. He is presently the Stony Brook University senior vice president of health sciences and School of Medicine dean. The Stony Brook Medicine network encompasses six schools, two hospitals, a children’s hospital and clinics.
    • Anny Morrobel-Sosa, Ph.D. The founder and president of a consulting firm, The Micaela Group, her academic career includes prior positions as provost and senior vice president for academic affairs at the City University of New York’s Lehman College, and the College of Science dean at the University of Texas at El Paso.
    • Charles “Chuck” Staben, Ph.D. Since March 2014, Staben has been president of the University of Idaho, a land-grant institution with enrollment of 11,780. He was formerly provost at the University of South Dakota.
    • Garnett Stokes, Ph.D. Stokes has spent the past 2˝ years as provost and executive vice chancellor for academic affairs at the University of Missouri. She was previously provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at Florida State University.
    https://www.abqjournal.com/1074375/u...finalists.html

Only one with experience as a president (His biggest accomplishment regarding athletics, dropping Idaho to FCS). Bet they pick Brenner, because of his Health and Sciences experience.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to LoboKnight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,775 Times in 1,261 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 77 Times in 55 Posts
    I could see them going a different route, because Dr. Roth already has our HSC campus doing well. He's like a co-UNM President since HSC is in their own world and doesn't always roll up to UNM President.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to nickgallegos For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,839 Times in 4,408 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 556 Times in 248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgallegos View Post
    I could see them going a different route, because Dr. Roth already has our HSC campus doing well. He's like a co-UNM President since HSC is in their own world and doesn't always roll up to UNM President.
    3 out of 5 have health science background- no matter who they choose, it's another message from susann to Roth & arguably political influence in another key university personnel decision making process, for better or worse

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Groan
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I am faculty and am just hoping that this time the regents listen to faculty. We've lobbied hard to them to do it. The regents have not listened to faculty in at least the past two searches and look how that has turned out for UNM... One of my main concerns is that the person chosen has experience at a Research 1 institution and at an institution that has a medical school (or vet school), like UNM. Being in the R1 category of highest research activity and having a medical school makes us completely different from institutions that are not and do not. It requires a fundamentally different understanding of required infrastructure and procedures.

A couple of statements made in the previous posts are factually inaccurate. HSC is not in its own world. We share an accounting and HR system and the upper administration work in concert with each other. There is also no message from the Governor to Dr. Roth, albeit the regents are over-politicized. The search committee is quite large and likely dilutes any political influence from Doughty, at this stage, at least. We'll see what happens when the actually selection is made. I can only hope they listen to the faculty this time.

7. The Following 14 Users Say Thanks to BCFink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,002 Times in 964 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 15 Times in 10 Posts
    [QUOTE=BCFink;979343]I am faculty and am just hoping that this time the regents listen to faculty. We've lobbied hard to them to do it. The regents have not listened to faculty in at least the past two searches and look how that has turned out for UNM... One of my main concerns is that the person chosen has experience at a Research 1 institution and at an institution that has a medical school (or vet school), like UNM. Being in the R1 category of highest research activity and having a medical school makes us completely different from institutions that are not and do not. It requires a fundamentally different understanding of required infrastructure and procedures.

A couple of statements made in the previous posts are factually inaccurate. HSC is not in its own world. We share an accounting and HR system and the upper administration work in concert with each other. There is also no message from the Governor to Dr. Roth, albeit the regents are over-politicized. The search committee is quite large and likely dilutes any political influence from Doughty, at this stage, at least. We'll see what happens when the actually selection is made. I can only hope they listen to the faculty this time.[/QUOT

So just what is the faculty trying to say?
    Last edited by yooperlobo; 10-08-2017 at 02:18 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to yooperlobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Groan
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Listen to us. We might know how to pick an effective president for UNM.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by BCFink View Post
    I am faculty and am just hoping that this time the regents listen to faculty. We've lobbied hard to them to do it. The regents have not listened to faculty in at least the past two searches and look how that has turned out for UNM... One of my main concerns is that the person chosen has experience at a Research 1 institution and at an institution that has a medical school (or vet school), like UNM. Being in the R1 category of highest research activity and having a medical school makes us completely different from institutions that are not and do not. It requires a fundamentally different understanding of required infrastructure and procedures.

A couple of statements made in the previous posts are factually inaccurate. HSC is not in its own world. We share an accounting and HR system and the upper administration work in concert with each other. There is also no message from the Governor to Dr. Roth, albeit the regents are over-politicized. The search committee is quite large and likely dilutes any political influence from Doughty, at this stage, at least. We'll see what happens when the actually selection is made. I can only hope they listen to the faculty this time.
    When you say they share an Accounting and HR system are you just referring to Banner? Because HSC and Main campus both have their own business offices that are separate. Remember how the ABQ Journal wrote an article about the divide between Main campus and HSC? Then we never heard about it in the paper again. I'm not saying they are in a battle with each other or anything. I'm merely saying they are two different operations.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to nickgallegos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 6 Posts
    I notice two of the candidates are women. Has there been a president of UNM who was female? Seems to me, no... Dr. Morrobel-Sosa would be in interesting pick.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 42 Times in 16 Posts
    Very disappointed in this finalist list.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to unm04 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,807 Times in 3,784 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 79 Times in 65 Posts
    As much as I'd like to know we'll hire a president that will be supportive/good for our athletic department, in the big picture the most important thing is getting the candidate that will be best for the university as a whole. While I lack much knowledge in this process, its hard not to think that hiring someone who can best support UNM as a Research 1 institution is highly important (as stated by BFink above).

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,839 Times in 4,408 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 556 Times in 248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    As much as I'd like to know we'll hire a president that will be supportive/good for our athletic department, in the big picture the most important thing is getting the candidate that will be best for the university as a whole. While I lack much knowledge in this process, its hard not to think that hiring someone who can best support UNM as a Research 1 institution is highly important (as stated by BFink above).
    Yes, agreed but it is much more than just a research institution. Its first goal is educating at both the undergraduate and graduate/professional level. It also happens to be the largest employer in Albuq. and a major driver of the economy and it can/should do so much more (as it is attempting with the partnership with the city in Innovate Abq. and the UNM Science & Tech Park. It also is a major research institution in many fields (not just health sciences although they are a big & shinning part of the research that goes on). UNM also provides a major component of the hospital and clinic care for NM. Up until recently, Health Sciences operated to a large extent independently of the rest of the university and their desire to build new hospital facilities without first "kissing the Susanna ring" has brought a major shift in that "independence." I'm not educated on the topic well enough to know if t hat is a good or bad thing for the state but it is a "thing" and if anyone doubts that it is playing a part in what is happening now that Susanna' Regents are in charge, they are being a bit naive - it is a part of the presidential selection process.

Additionally UNM provides the region with a huge component of its cultural and entertainment activities, including all that happens at Popejoy, athletics, lecture series, and on campus museums as well as adult education.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,807 Times in 3,784 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 79 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    Yes, agreed but it is much more than just a research institution. Its first goal is educating at both the undergraduate and graduate/professional level. It also happens to be the largest employer in Albuq. and a major driver of the economy and it can/should do so much more (as it is attempting with the partnership with the city in Innovate Abq. and the UNM Science & Tech Park. It also is a major research institution in many fields (not just health sciences although they are a big & shinning part of the research that goes on). UNM also provides a major component of the hospital and clinic care for NM. Up until recently, Health Sciences operated to a large extent independently of the rest of the university and their desire to build new hospital facilities without first "kissing the Susanna ring" has brought a major shift in that "independence." I'm not educated on the topic well enough to know if t hat is a good or bad thing for the state but it is a "thing" and if anyone doubts that it is playing a part in what is happening now that Susanna' Regents are in charge, they are being a bit naive - it is a part of the presidential selection process.

Additionally UNM provides the region with a huge component of its cultural and entertainment activities, including all that happens at Popejoy, athletics, lecture series, and on campus museums as well as adult education.

Thanks for bringing focus to the big picture.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Garnett Stokes in a word - vapid.

Pass

Thanks
    Thanked 2,544 Times in 615 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 205 Times in 73 Posts
    At least superficially, there seems to be a whole lotta meh on that list.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDamnFans For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Lol this is why some people don't want to live and work in New Mexico anymore. Candidates work hard and build up impressive resumes and then New Mexicans just look over their body of work and dismiss it as boring and meh. Candidates don't need to be sexy they need to be hard working with integrity and a vision to help UNM continue into the future to help as many New Mexicans and others who come to Albuquerque, New Mexico.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to nickgallegos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 680 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 317 Times in 77 Posts
    Regents to make a decision next Thursday.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1085288/u...-thursday.html

28. The Following User Says Thank You to LoboKnight For This Useful Post:

Thread Information