Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Bentley's Auction
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,551 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 81 Times in 42 Posts

OT: NFL now least liked sport

First Post Banner
    NFL now least liked sport, core fans down 31%

by Paul Bedard | Oct 7, 2017, 8:00 AM

"Over just one month of
    player, coach, and owner protests of the flag and National Anthem, the National Football League has gone from America's sport to the least liked of top professional and college sports, according to a new poll."

"Worse for football, which was already seeing lower TV ratings and empty stadium seats, the month of protests drove core fans, men 34-54, away, the most significant indicator that NFL brass aren't in touch with their base."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/shock-poll-nfl-now-least-liked-sport-core-fans-down-31/article/2636837

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you TheLoboMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,120 Times in 2,083 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 451 Times in 183 Posts
    FAKE NEWS.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to TheLoboMan For This Useful Post:

5. The Following 7 Users Have Groaned TheLoboMan For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoboMan View Post
    FAKE NEWS.
    Why do you consider Newsweek a Fake News source?
    http://www.newsweek.com/nfl-now-leas...l-shows-680168

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,464 Times in 2,800 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 224 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elmassuave View Post

"Over just one month of
    player, coach, and owner protests of the flag and National Anthem, the National Football League has gone from America's sport to the least liked of top professional and college sports, according to a new poll."

"Worse for football, which was already seeing lower TV ratings and empty stadium seats, the month of protests drove core fans, men 34-54, away, the most significant indicator that NFL brass aren't in touch with their base."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/shock-poll-nfl-now-least-liked-sport-core-fans-down-31/article/2636837
    The funny thing about your post is that there was a boycott going on before the protests the last 2 weeks. This one has been going on since the beginning of the season, and it's to show support for Colin Kaepernick.
    https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/7/16...lin-kaepernick

http://time.com/4924420/colin-kaeper...tball-boycott/
    Last edited by UNMerciful_1; 1 Week Ago at 04:42 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    If the NFL or Lobo players were to get a permit to hold a rally here in Albuquerque to raise awareness about police brutality etc., I would support their efforts by attending it. In my opinion, that would be a lot more positive way to garner community support and favorable publicity for the issue. Kneeling and/or raising a clenched fist during the national anthem has seemingly proven to be counter-productive, given the declining poll numbers and TV ratings. Anyway, by alienating fans, the players seem to be "killing the golden goose." I doubt the billionaire NFL owners are concerned about empty seats because they are financially protected by their "lucrative" long-term TV contract.

As always, thanks for sharing your opinion on this subject.
    Last edited by elmassuave; 1 Week Ago at 08:16 PM. Reason: wording

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 363 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 68 Times in 23 Posts
    NFL is suffering from over saturation and Netflix ...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to loboball30 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboray's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,845 Times in 6,860 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 161 Times in 92 Posts
    O.K. but that is something that could/would affect a lot of other sports venues. Why is the NFL suffering the largest decline?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to loboray For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Digital Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 44,575 Times in 10,573 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 646 Times in 403 Posts
    So because of this the NFL is going to start charging a buck fifty per minute for Superbowl ads? Give me a break.

A mile high and louder than howl

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,995 Times in 1,490 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I used to be a rabid NFL fan, but my interest has waned the last few years. The protest did not push me further away, it actually brought me back to the game. I am a firm believer in free speech and support their right to protest. I find it disappointing that rather than looking at what these men are actually protesting, it's being pushed as "Un-American" and an "Anti-Flag" debate.

19. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to GoLobos For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,447 Times in 3,222 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 160 Times in 105 Posts
    So by that logic, there are no bounds to what is defined as a "protest", and should always be supported? So I can choose to show support for my causes at work in a very public fashion (maybe I kneel during staff meeting to show my support for something, and disrupt the normal flow of work)? Or perhaps I have a job that is customer facing, and I pump my fist in the air in front of each customer to show my support for a cause?

Fact is, this is all political, and folks rationalize whatever one is doing if it is in favor of their own views. Both sides. If I pay to be entertained, I should not be preached at whether it be for a cause on the left or the right. And those who feel that the National Anthem is somehow only associated with one party, can't help you there.

As an objectivist, this all drives me nuts. I wish all those players would donate to, and inspire a national program and/or event to bring awareness to their cause -- but stop interrupting my entertainment. Funny how the same folks supporting this were crucifying Tebow for his religious stances -- and those supporting Tebow are now criticizing the players. Or imagine if a group of white players protested the tearing down of those statues? Keep it ALL off the field, or public places of EMPLOYMENT, and I support an employer's right to protect their product or customer interface as they see fit within what makes sense for their product. Where do I go protest for that?

And btw... I do support their cause -- it is tricky, as IMO most cops are good and I appreciate that they protect me, but the bad ones need to be dealt with. and the bad "departments" especially need to be dealt with. I felt that way before this crap, and feel the same now.

Quote Originally Posted by GoLobos View Post
    I used to be a rabid NFL fan, but my interest has waned the last few years. The protest did not push me further away, it actually brought me back to the game. I am a firm believer in free speech and support their right to protest. I find it disappointing that rather than looking at what these men are actually protesting, it's being pushed as "Un-American" and an "Anti-Flag" debate.
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

21. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to timvracer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by timvracer View Post
    So by that logic, there are no bounds to what is defined as a "protest", and should always be supported? So I can choose to show support for my causes at work in a very public fashion (maybe I kneel during staff meeting to show my support for something, and disrupt the normal flow of work)? Or perhaps I have a job that is customer facing, and I pump my fist in the air in front of each customer to show my support for a cause?

Fact is, this is all political, and folks rationalize whatever one is doing if it is in favor of their own views. Both sides. If I pay to be entertained, I should not be preached at whether it be for a cause on the left or the right. And those who feel that the National Anthem is somehow only associated with one party, can't help you there.

As an objectivist, this all drives me nuts. I wish all those players would donate to, and inspire a national program and/or event to bring awareness to their cause -- but stop interrupting my entertainment. Funny how the same folks supporting this were crucifying Tebow for his religious stances -- and those supporting Tebow are now criticizing the players. Or imagine if a group of white players protested the tearing down of those statues? Keep it ALL off the field, or public places of EMPLOYMENT, and I support an employer's right to protect their product or customer interface as they see fit within what makes sense for their product. Where do I go protest for that?

And btw... I do support their cause -- it is tricky, as IMO most cops are good and I appreciate that they protect me, but the bad ones need to be dealt with. and the bad "departments" especially need to be dealt with. I felt that way before this crap, and feel the same now.
    While I sympathize with your point of view, the NFL is one of the biggest platforms a person could have. There are many players who do positive things in there communities, and we never hear about. However, everyone knows what this cause is about. Like it or not these players have taken a stand.

Somewhere there are kids who are alive today because a police officer thought twice about using lethal force against an unarmed person. Five years ago this police officer probably could care less. But since these protests have begun, not just the ones by NFL players, you don't see unarmed citizens killed by police as often. And these people who would otherwise not be alive today would vehemently disagree with your opinion.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

24. The Following 4 Users Have Groaned UNMerciful_1 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Jerry Jones: Cowboys ‘will not play’ if they disrespect flag

Per Jerry Jones, "if we are disrespecting the flag, then we won't play. Period. Period."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tional-anthem/

---------------------------

Dolphins owner Steve Ross now wants players to stand for anthem, coach Adam Gase makes it a rule
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...008-story.html
    Last edited by elmassuave; 1 Week Ago at 08:49 AM. Reason: add link

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,027 Times in 487 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Yes attendance has been in decline, with all these fancy TVs, Sunday ticket, and the comforts of home plus saving some serious cash of course its going to drop. But the drop has seen a huge increase since all the kneeling increased as well. Teams are losing millions in merchandise too. I don't know if the NFL will be able to stop the bleeding before it goes too far.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo Amor For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you lobodude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,177 Times in 3,375 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 210 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elmassuave View Post

"Over just one month of

Problem with that story is that no one is protesting flag or anthem (or military, as some have claimed). Examiner is unfortunately a biased political rag. One tick away from. Brietbart.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to lobodude For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,970 Times in 2,693 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 343 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lobodude View Post

Problem with that story is that no one is protesting flag or anthem (or military, as some have claimed). Examiner is unfortunately a biased political rag. One tick away from. Brietbart.
    well, attendance and or interest is either down to it's not...which is it...
    '...the Pit is just God awful uncomfortable for a visiting team.'

...he yells, "No one comes to the hoop now, Melvin. No one!", Harv Schmidt to Mel Daniels

ďTheyíre loud and they get on you. They know everything about you. They know your momís name.Ē, jimmer fredette.

ĎWe surrender. If thatís who we are, then letís surrender,' Steve Fisher.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 2 Times in 1 Post
    Very interesting read about police shootings. The numbers don't support the protesters narrative.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...JbrO_8qYvWCPxg

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to showman660 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,639 Times in 2,281 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Groan
    Groaned 1,019 Times in 350 Posts
    I and many people that I know cancelled our NFL ticket.

I do support the movement, but I do not support the platform.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to FoKuZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,639 Times in 2,281 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Groan
    Groaned 1,019 Times in 350 Posts
    And if you really think people boycotting the NFL so Kap can get a job is why the numbers are down, you sir are the problem

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to FoKuZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,542 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 389 Times in 147 Posts
    Be careful with polls. This isn't meant to start a political debate rather just an example. Remember Hillary polling 15% higher than trump? For the entire year before the election. She was supposedly going to win by a large margin and that did not happen. Polls have flaws. You have to ask questions the right way. You have to poll a wide variety of people from different locations, backgrounds, ages... if you don't your poll is not going to represent the entire population. And polling like that is more expensive. Basically if you have an agenda you can get your poll to say what ever you want it to say.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by FoKuZ View Post
    And if you really think people boycotting the NFL so Kap can get a job is why the numbers are down, you sir are the problem
    It's part of the reason, but not the only reason. The main reason ratings are down is just the on demand environment we live in today. Games are long with too many interruptions. People have become accustomed to their Netflix and Youtube where they can watch something with no, or limited commercials. Anything amazing that happens during a game will be uploaded to Youtube anyway, so people can watch it then. This isn't me, but this is the younger generation. And as proof just look at our declining student section.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNM Class of 1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,420 Times in 3,393 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 511 Times in 251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timvracer View Post

In over 40 years of employment I never once started my work day with the playing of the national anthem. My employers never played it and I as an employer never played it. I even have worked for the federal government for a while and they never started the day off with the anthem. So why do athletes have to start there day out with it? Stop playing it and the issue is resolved. Play the national anthem at sporting events when the game is held on a federal holiday like Independence Day or Memorial Day. People are doubling down now and our "leaders" are just adding to fuel to the fire. It is time to de-escalate and not throw towels at the crowd.
    Last edited by UNM Class of 1972; 1 Week Ago at 08:29 AM.

42. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,777 Times in 478 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 59 Times in 33 Posts
    To those who support the kneeling because you say it's their right. Would you support other players kneeling to support the police because they are more than 18 times likely to die at the hands of a black man than to kill a black man? Statistics just don't back up any of their narratives.

They can say all they want about it not being about the flag, but as a veteran to me any disrespect shown towards the flag is disrespect to our country and our flag. Those players kneeling need to go to third world countries and see what real oppression is and what a real lack of opportunity those people have. America provides opportunity for everyone regardless of race or sex, all you have to do is work hard, don't give up, and don't have a victims mentality.

I watch football and sports on tv to get away from politics and not to be bombarded with it. They have ruined football for many Americans.

44. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to polhzp For This Useful Post:

45. The Following User has Groanedpolhzp For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboaddict's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,120 Times in 2,197 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lobodude View Post

Problem with that story is that no one is protesting flag or anthem (or military, as some have claimed).
    Maybe not, but many veterans and active military and others do take offense to them protesting in the manner that they are. So whether or not they are intending to offend, they are. They have the right to kneel or sit for the anthem, but I just don't understand why they can't find some other means of expressing their discontent, since they ARE offending many people that they apparently don't intend to offend. Their message is getting lost, imo, by continuing in this manner. It's just more divisive than anything, which is not what this country needs.

47. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to loboaddict For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,474 Times in 3,322 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 65 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom View Post
    The data clearly shows it is down.

The data shows the trend predated the current protests.

The hard part, and the politicized part in the "journalism" is the assumptions and oversimplification of WHY.

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom View Post
    The data clearly shows it is down.

The data shows the trend predated the current protests.

The hard part, and the politicized part in the "journalism" is the assumptions and oversimplification of WHY.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by loboaddict View Post
    Maybe not, but many veterans and active military and others do take offense to them protesting in the manner that they are. So whether or not they are intending to offend, they are. They have the right to kneel or sit for the anthem, but I just don't understand why they can't find some other means of expressing their discontent, since they ARE offending many people that they apparently don't intend to offend. Their message is getting lost, imo, by continuing in this manner. It's just more divisive than anything, which is not what this country needs.
    What i find truly contradictory about this is that many of those who say exactly this, "People shouldn't be so thin skinned. This political correctness has gone to far."

Except on this issue of course. ��

53. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by loboaddict View Post
    What i find truly contradictory about this is that many of those who say exactly this, "People shouldn't be so thin skinned. This political correctness has gone to far."

Except on this issue of course.

And, there are a lot of vererans and current military who DO understand that non-violent protest is an inherent right that goes back to pre-1776 and a core belief within the constitution. I served for 40+ years to support those freedoms even when I did not agree with some of what they were used for.
    Last edited by Lobo2x53; 1 Week Ago at 11:07 AM.

55. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,777 Times in 478 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 59 Times in 33 Posts
    As a veteran I do say it's their right to protest, but you should not be protesting our national anthem when we have America military personnel in harms way. Not just white people, but brown people, and black people. Today some of them may come home in a coffin covered with the American flag. There is only one color in the military and that's green.

57. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to polhzp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo2x53 View Post

Except on this issue of course.

And, there are a lot of vererans and current military who DO understand that non-violent protest is an inherent right that goes back to pre-1776 and a core belief within the constitution. I served for 40+ years to support those freedoms even when I did not agree with some of what they were used for.
    If I understand you correctly, you fully support the right of those that choose to non-violently protest the "kneelers" (many with lengthy police records) by choosing not to attend the games or watch them on TV.
    Last edited by elmassuave; 1 Week Ago at 12:06 PM. Reason: wording

59. The Following User Says Thank You to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,037 Times in 796 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 129 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM Class of 1972 View Post
    In over 40 years of employment I never once started my work day with the playing of the national anthem. My employers never played it and I as an employer never played it. I even have worked for the federal government for a while and they never started the day off with the anthem. So why do athletes have to start there day out with it? Stop playing it and the issue is resolved. Play the national anthem at sporting events when the game is held on a federal holiday like Independence Day or Memorial Day. People are doubling down now and our "leaders" are just adding to fuel to the fire. It is time to de-escalate and not throw towels at the crowd.
    I always find this take the most interesting in the whole debate. Stop playing the anthem at events is seemingly contrary to both sides. Those that want everyone to respect the flag and anthem by standing hand over heart definitely want it to be played. On the protest side it seems that during the anthem has been identified as the prime moment to raise awareness for their cause so I would assume they want it played as well.

Thread Information