Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Bentley's Auction
    Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any report from Rio Rancho?

First Post Banner
    Did anyone go to The Rio Rancho practice ? Thoughts? impressions?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LOBO-CHAV For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Bullchuter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,320 Times in 2,548 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 196 Times in 103 Posts
    Yes...I went and was impressed with both the athletic speed and shooting that I witnessed. No game like scrimmage. Rather they ran various drills that were all at top speed. A lot of drills ending with dunks. impressive. Coach Weir made a very good impression towards the end of the practice by coming into the stands and personally thanked every one there. A very classy move. I like Coach Weir and honestly believe we have a good coach that "knows" how to coach!!!! I expect that you will like him too!!

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I was there as well agree with everything previously said. Jachai impressed with his dunks and I thought the new guy Vlad looked solid for a freshman.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,097 Times in 3,579 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 70 Times in 56 Posts
    http://www.kob.com/sports/unm-new-me...tball/4631103/

Glad to hear that Coach Weir is pleased with progress so far.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 43 Times in 16 Posts
    Get ready for a lot of finishing dunks, getting the ball in-bounds in a hurry, and hitting the open man.

1) First drill was finishing at the rim. Dunk the ball, or make sure you finish.
    2) Defensive drill on jumping out and getting on the open man with the ball. 5 spots around the lane, first start at low block on the right side and flash out to the forward down in the corner, back to the lane then flash out to the upper corner, back to top of the key and flash out to the shooter at the head of the key, down to top of the lane on the left side and flash out to shooter at the left side, down to left block and flash out to shooter at lower corner. After all have completed all 5 stations, 3 players would shoot a free throw, if anyone missed they all do the drill again.
    3) next drill was team split on both sides of the court. One Team worked on constant movement of the ball in half court despite no defense present. Nobody stands flatfooted watching the ball, everyone is constantly setting picks and moving working toward an easy shot at the rim. Equal opportunity for all 5 teammates to score, whoever is deemed open. The other Team on the other half court worked on outside shooting. I thought we need work on our outside shooting and hopefully we get better with more practice.
    4) Full Court In-bounds drill where one designated player throws the ball in and everyone else runs their lane in order to get an easy bucket. All 5 players are running hard, no slackers.
    5) Only practice against a defense. Defense set up as a zone, as defensive man rotates out to the ball, the offense looks to pass to the open man. The ball is rotated constantly, the ball is held high by everyone, and the skip pass is used to go across the zone to the open man. Not much dribbling, all passing looking to work the defense and pass to the open man.
    6) Sam looks strong, Dane is also strong and going to be a go-to player. Simons appears to like to shoot and Simmons is the flashy one (only one with turquoise shoes) but can shoot and finishes with strong dunks at the rim. Our 3 big men are all moving well in the offense, and Joe looked like the only big that would step out and shoot a 3. I feel that Pinchuk is still adjusting to the altitude with his conditioning but will be fine in the offense they will run.
    Coach Weir took time to go into the stands and thank people for coming out. I told him I loved the energy and he said thank you.

This looks to be a fun team for fans to watch. They play fast and hard, all players are involved, nobody stands still watching someone dribble down the clock.
    Get your popcorn ready for the new wave of Lobo basketball.
    We are New Mexico. This is Lobo Basketball.

edited: I forgot to mention a drill with two-fold benefits. Since all players will be handling the ball, this drill is designed to avoid the charge while improving ball-handling skills. Usually only a skilled guard would do this move but coach is having all players practice it from both sides. Picture Greg Brown at the right side attacking the defender at the lane, he would dribble at the defender then put the ball behind his back to get free from the defender while avoiding the charge. Not all players were comfortable with this drill since most never would have it in their repertoire. I see benefits from this drill coming in Jan-Feb-Mar as players improve their ball handling skills.
    Last edited by TomNM; 1 Week Ago at 08:06 AM.
    ďHere, if weíre not successful, itís my fault,Ē said Weir, the 37-year-old coach who was introduced Tuesday. ďItís no one elseís fault. Itís not the fansí fault. Itís not anyoneís fault. Itís on me. Itís very comforting to me professionally for me to go somewhere where itís entirely on me and my own competencies and my ability to lead this program. Iíve very confident in my ability to do that.Ē ~Paul Weir Tuesday April 11, 2017

Thanks
    Thanked 11,091 Times in 4,074 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 130 Times in 60 Posts
    excellent reports, thanks... I am getting pumped for a fast pace basketball style with hustle, effort and dunks..!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wolf1960 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice write up but here are some vids to go along with the write up.

https://www.facebook.com/10001191162...2836371123415/

https://www.facebook.com/10001191162...2839794456406/

https://www.facebook.com/10001191162...2840327789686/

I hope this works my first attempt to post vids from a facebook link.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to TurboGreg For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Bullchuter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,320 Times in 2,548 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 196 Times in 103 Posts
    Additionally, I failed to mention one particular drill that I have never seen being used. It was a rolling ball either to the right or left and having the player dive on the floor after the ball. It was aggressively done and the d in which the player had to react was done quickly

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Bullchuter For This Useful Post:

Thread Information