Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,863 Times in 1,879 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 32 Posts

Coach Weir says:

First Post Banner
    Lobo BasketballVerified account @UNMLoboMBB 5h5 hours agoMore

Lobo fans: Please find below a statement from head coach @paul_weir1 regarding UNM's scheduled high school practices and potential changes:

8 replies12 retweets25 likes
    Retweet

Direct message

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,081 Times in 2,735 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 361 Times in 123 Posts
    give me a break...what recruitable basketball talent are they practicing in front of that the Aggies are interested in...

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 338 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 7 Posts
    Just when I started to feel a little sorry for the Aggies...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bruiser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,448 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 650 Times in 148 Posts

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to NightWolf For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,919 Times in 4,420 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 559 Times in 251 Posts
    And so nmsu's desire for "payback" begins to rear its head. The two games with them this year should be more intense than usual. Let's see what else they have.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

The Lobo Lair Chosen pitforever90's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,229 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 242 Times in 120 Posts
    They might actually be doing UNM a favor if there was a misinterpretation of the practice rules by UNM's compliance office.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to pitforever90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,569 Times in 1,874 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pitforever90 View Post
    They might actually be doing UNM a favor if there was a misinterpretation of the practice rules by UNM's compliance office.
    Possibly, but JP reported that Weir did the same thing when he was at NMSU. So if it violation here it was certainly a violation down in Las Cruces. Has NMSU self-reported for its violation?

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to jbarr For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,598 Times in 6,131 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 155 Times in 106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    Possibly, but JP reported that Weir did the same thing when he was at NMSU. So if it violation here it was certainly a violation down in Las Cruces. Has NMSU self-reported for its violation?
    Maybe it is our duty to report that violation to the NCAA..... LOL
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,569 Times in 1,874 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobodawg92 View Post
    LOL.

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,463 Times in 3,561 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 70 Times in 55 Posts
    The issue of compliance was the first thing I thought about when HS practices were mentioned. Given other stupidity I have seen from the NCAA I would be surprised if they really were legal in their eyes.

I know one HS player was barred from attending a particular college because fans from that college went to one of his HS games wearing their college sweatshirts and jackets. No signs, no talking with the player. I know consistency is not an NCAA strongpoint but if fans in the stands is a violation, then I suspect the whole team showing up in uniform would be.

But I am sure NMSU did indeed self report. I would be the honorable thing to do. And any punishment should be proportionate to the number of such offences, shouldn't it be?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    The issue of compliance was the first thing I thought about when HS practices were mentioned. Given other stupidity I have seen from the NCAA I would be surprised if they really were legal in their eyes.

I know one HS player was barred from attending a particular college because fans from that college went to one of his HS games wearing their college sweatshirts and jackets. No signs, no talking with the player. I know consistency is not an NCAA strongpoint but if fans in the stands is a violation, then I suspect the whole team showing up in uniform would be.

But I am sure NMSU did indeed self report. I would be the honorable thing to do. And any punishment should be proportionate to the number of such offences, shouldn't it be?

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post

That's what JP said, but I think it was a little misleading. According to the quote in the Grammer article yesterday, sounds like Coach Weir and NMSU looked into doing this same thing last year, but didn't go through with it.

“Our compliance folks didn’t think it was permissible and double-checked with the (Western Athletic Conference), and they said the same thing, so we didn’t do it,” NMSU athletic director Mario Moccia told the Journal on Thursday night. “When our compliance people saw it on social media, they contacted UNM to ask what methodology they used to get it.”

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to writejav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by writejav View Post
    That's what JP said, but I think it was a little misleading. According to the quote in the Grammer article yesterday, sounds like Coach Weir and NMSU looked into doing this same thing last year, but didn't go through with it.

“Our compliance folks didn’t think it was permissible and double-checked with the (Western Athletic Conference), and they said the same thing, so we didn’t do it,” NMSU athletic director Mario Moccia told the Journal on Thursday night. “When our compliance people saw it on social media, they contacted UNM to ask what methodology they used to get it.”
    Exactly. NMSU didn't pursue it last year because they found out it was a violation. Weir knew that but pushed for the same thing at UNM, who apparently didn't look into the possible violation with the same due diligence. I'm assuming NMSU was curious how UNM was able to get around the violation, and asked for clarification from UNM. They didn't report anything to the NCAA nor did they sit back and wait for UNM to shoot itself in the foot as it seems that if the Lobos had a 2nd practice at a different site, they would have been in violation. Sounds to me like they were asking for a little help in setting up a similar outside practice scenario for the Aggies and when they found out that UNM didn't adequately research the potential issues that this could bring up, they give them a heads up.

But if the Lobos need this for bulletin board material...

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to grego7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,311 Times in 1,120 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 77 Times in 40 Posts
    ...and it's just fine for the University of Michigan to hold football practices in Florida??? Give me a break Aggies.....it's you conference that just screwed you....
    Can you believe my neighbor came knocking at my door at 2:30 AM this morning......Good thing I was still up playing my bagpipes......

.....maybe next year......

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pitboss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    From the ABQ Journal...

Bylaw 17.1.7.9.4 (Publicity of Preseason Off-Campus Practice Activities) states a school can publicize off-campus practices “that are conducted at a single designated site, provided the institution normally conducts preseason practice activities at that particular site.”
    Schultz elaborated in an email with the Journal: “As we planned on making this an annual event, the schools would have been considered a regular practice site. In terms of clarification now that we know the future practices would have resulted in a violation, we are working towards determining our future plans.”

https://www.abqjournal.com/1077336/nmsu-call-leads-lobos-to-alter-upcoming-high-school-practice-plans.html

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to pitforever90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    From the ABQ Journal...

Bylaw 17.1.7.9.4 (Publicity of Preseason Off-Campus Practice Activities) states a school can publicize off-campus practices “that are conducted at a single designated site, provided the institution normally conducts preseason practice activities at that particular site.”
    Schultz elaborated in an email with the Journal: “As we planned on making this an annual event, the schools would have been considered a regular practice site. In terms of clarification now that we know the future practices would have resulted in a violation, we are working towards determining our future plans.”

https://www.abqjournal.com/1077336/nmsu-call-leads-lobos-to-alter-upcoming-high-school-practice-plans.html
    A simple "thanks NMSU!" should suffice

Attached Images Attached Images

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to grego7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 8 Times in 5 Posts
    My first reaction was yes, NMSU was trying to stick it to UNM. But it seems that wasn't the case.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to KrimsonKrazy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    From the ABQ Journal...

This sounds like UNM tried to interpret what the NCAA words meant. Never a smart thing to do. The NCAA often can't interpret what they mean.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    From the ABQ Journal...

This sounds like UNM tried to interpret what the NCAA words meant. Never a smart thing to do. The NCAA often can't interpret what they mean.

Thanks
    Groan
    Might be possible that it's really the "publicize" part that's the catch and not the "off-campus" part. Of course, if you can't publicize it then it's not going to have much benefit in terms of community connections and out-reach.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,751 Times in 5,369 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,584 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Little sisters a little butt hurt?

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UWSLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,688 Times in 2,574 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 611 Times in 207 Posts
    I will put my attorney hat on and respond to a couple of your points.

Quote Originally Posted by grego7 View Post
    NMSU didn't pursue it last year because they found out it was a violation.
    Not a true statement unless you know something else we don't know. According to the Journal article, NMSU and the WAC did not think it was permissible. The NCAA and Courts determine violations not the school or the conference.

Weir knew that but pushed for the same thing at UNM, who apparently didn't look into the possible violation with the same due diligence.
    Absent additional information, your statement is an assumption, so it is not necessarily true. Weir and UNM's compliance officer looked into the matter, and decided that it would not be a violation. While it's true that they cannot officially determine whether a violation has been committed or whether certain acts constitute a violation, they certainly may make a decision with an understanding that the NCAA may later determine that it was a violation. The amount of due diligence necessary varies by subject, and since we do not yet know if a violation was committed, it is premature to say that due diligence was not performed.
    it seems that if the Lobos had a 2nd practice at a different site, they would have been in violation.
    Not necessarily. Which by law are you using as a reference? Bylaw 17.1.7.9.4 only speaks to "publicity" for an off campus practice activity not whether the practice can be held in the first place.
    Last edited by UWSLobo; 10-13-2017 at 02:03 PM.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to UWSLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,368 Times in 2,650 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 301 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobodawg92 View Post
    It either is a violation, or it's not. Not sure why some are throwing their hands up in the air and crying foul? If it's a violation, stop doing it, if not then keep doing it. Seems simple to me.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,248 Times in 674 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 264 Times in 74 Posts
    I'm sure if this was UNC there'd be no violation...
    -Sent from my Nintendo Game & Watch

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to boingee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 814 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 29 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo2x53 View Post
    I don't know why UNM or any other school wouldn't just go to the NCAA and ask if what they want to do is illegal? Why try to interpret anything...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 647 Times in 579 Posts

Coach Weir says:

This is a violation but bogus classes aren't? Tell me again why the NCAA is still relevant in college athletics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to ricoLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 477 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 65 Times in 30 Posts
    Just another reason to hate nmsu.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you MacLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,372 Times in 4,204 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 234 Times in 148 Posts
    For the posters that are ragging on the Aggies for this, you really should actually read the article. They potentially saved our butts! They were esentially doing us a favor in contacting us and letting us know that they think what we had planned might be an infraction.

Reading comprehension, people! Come on!

Had they not called us, we would have moved forward, and no doubt been penalized down the road.

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to MacLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 16 Posts
    I agree. I believe NMSU was giving us a heads up that what UNM was doing was a potential violation of NCAA rules because of the way they interpreted the rule. I think that UNM should thank NMSU. I think UNM should go to the official interpreter of the rules for an interpretation. I am sure NMSU would like to do the same thing in Las Cruces if it is possible. I wish the best for NMSU except when they play the LOBOS in any sport. I am sure coach Weir still has friends at NMSU and I believe he would do the same thing if the it were the other way around.

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Bigdawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 681 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 318 Times in 78 Posts
    If NMSU wanted to screw UNM, they could have called the NCAA. After their no action on North Carolina, I'm sure the NCAA is looking for any school they can say violated the rules and make an example of.

Thread Information