Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UWSLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,995 Times in 2,670 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 625 Times in 211 Posts

Antino Jackson article

First Post Banner
    The UNM Lobos will have a new backcourt heading into the 2017-18 season, and one key addition is Antino Jackson Jr, a grad transfer from the University of Akron. His named is pronounced “an-tin-o.”

Perhaps Jackson left Akron because much like UNM’s program, Akron’s program saw great turnover this past season. The Zips’ head coach, Keith Dambrot, left to take the head coach position at Duquesne. In his thirteen seasons at Akron, Dambrot had a record of 305-139, and he left as the winningest coach in Akron’s history.

So when Dambrot left, the entire basketball staff from last season left. Additionally, at least six of his teammates from last year are no longer with the Zips due to either graduation or transfer. Thus, the writing was on the wall: the Zips were going to be rebuilding under a new head coach.

Sound familiar?

So why would Antino leave the Zips to join another rebuilding, mid major program?

Antino may have wanted a change of scenery too. Certainly, Albuquerque, with its vast open views, endless blue skies, and volcanoes on the horizon, can offer that. But this is an article about basketball not tourism. In his final season at Akron (2016-17), Antino regressed in several key areas from the previous season (2015-16). For example, his assist to turnover ratio dropped from 1.6 to 1, to 1.4 to 1. His per game averages in points, rebounding, steals, and assists all dropped a bit too.

So Antino probably needed to rejuvenate his career somewhere else.

No matter the reason for leaving, Lobo fans should be happy to have him on board for the upcoming season. Jackson generates lots of offense, is a sure handed ball handler, and brings loads of experience to this year’s Lobo team, which was desperate for exactly this type of player after its program lost 85% of its scoring from last season and both of its point guards.

Jackson, who hails from the Houston area, had a great high school career for Cypress Springs High School in Texas where he averaged 19.2 points, 4.7 assists, 3.8 rebounds, and 1.9 steals per game during his senior season, en route to scoring over 1,000 points in his high school career.

However, since his high school days when all he had to do was use his athleticism and speed to overwhelm opponents, Jackson discovered that in the college ranks, most guards are quick and athletic. He realized that he needed to improve his outside shot to be a more complete player and excel at the next level.

So he hit the gym hard, and as a result, he developed great shooting range and can knock down the deep three pointer. He utilizes an excellent drop step to generate space between him and his defender, so he usually gets a good look at the basket despite his lack of height (generously listed as 6’0” on the golobos team site).

During this past season at Akron, Jackson made 39% of his three pointers (68 of 174), up from 35% the previous season (68 of 195). In his best season of shooting the three, former Lobo Kendall Williams also shot 39% (63 of 162), so that tells you what kind of shooter Jackson is.

Besides three point shooting, Antino also excels at the free throw line, where he is a career 77% free throw shooter (159 of 206). However, Antino should focus on drawing more contact on his drives in order to get to the line more and increase his scoring. His total of 206 career free throw attempts pales in comparison to what a typical Lobo guard shoots (Elijah Brown attempted 220 free throws last season alone).

When asked why he likes to be at the line late in the game at crunch time, Jackson responded, “I’m used to that. You know, try to be the one to [finish] the game. I have a lot of confidence in myself. I work out a lot. I get in the gym a lot, and I know that I can knock it down. I want to shoot those.”

As for Akron fans, most were sorry to see him go. According to one fan, “[h]e was a gritty player. Not afraid of the big stage.” But that fan also remarked, “[he] struggled to finish at the rim. His defense was marginal at best.”

However, another Zips fans said, “Antino was probably our best guard on defense and slashing at the basket.” The comment about his defense was supported by another fan who said, “Antino was the Zips’ best defending guard.”

Weir has promised to have a tough nosed defensive team, so Lobo fans are hopeful that under Weir, Antino and the rest of the team will play strong defense. A lack of defense was the knock on Elijah Brown, the guard that Antino will be asked to help replace, and other players who have moved on.

Unfortunately for Antino, his relationship with Zips fans mirrored, at times, the relationship that Elijah Brown had with Lobo fans this past season.

One Zips fan summed it up by saying, “[i]t almost seemed at times [that Antino] tried to do too much during crucial moments of close games. He'd attack the basket recklessly or put up an ill-advised 3 instead of taking what the defense gave him.”

In this author’s opinion, Antino’s assertiveness at crunch time is a good thing; you don’t want players who will wilt and disappear when the going gets tough. But these type of players need to be coached properly so that they don’t play out of control.

Hopefully, Coach Weir can do that.

Coach Weir has said that he wants to run a lot more this season, so that should generate a lot of transition opportunities. If so, Antino will benefit greatly by a faster pace where he can use his speed and athleticism to the Lobos’ advantage.

The Lobos will also benefit from Jackson’s experience, after having played against the likes of Creighton, Gonzaga, Arkansas, Villanova, Ohio State, USC, Miami, South Carolina, and Penn State.

Antino averaged 10.8 points per game last season, but this year’s Lobo team will rely on him to be a critical piece of the offense because no returning Lobo averaged more than 7.3 points per game last season.

I expect his numbers to soar in a new environment and playing for a coach who understands how to get the max from all of Antino’s incredible talent.

Good luck Antino!

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,104 Times in 3,362 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 165 Times in 108 Posts
    Nice writeup... but all I can say is we don't need another Elijah Brown, and I don't agree that someone who takes bad shots at crunch time is a good sign. When I think of clutch, I think of Roman Martinez, Dairese Gary, Kendall Williams -- these were some serious clutch guys. Clutch is as much about basketball IQ as it is to be fearless. Kendall was amazing at this blend.

But I do truly hope Antino thrives here, and under Coach Weir -- will be great to see.
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to timvracer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,706 Times in 789 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 324 Times in 85 Posts
    I understand where you’re going with generating more contact to go to the free throw line like EB but EB flopped and focused solely on flopping and generating contact which a lot of the times refs didn’t call it so he threw up horrible, off balanced shots. Not a good comparison.

Good article tho.
    -Sent from my Nintendo Game & Watch

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to boingee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    It was surprising that Antino did not score in the cherry silver game. He said that he is taking guidance from Coach Weir to play solid defense, so that's what he is focusing on right now. But sooner or later, he will start shooting. It will be interesting to see how coach Weir manages him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to UWSLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,311 Times in 6,317 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 159 Times in 108 Posts
    Nice article, where did it come from?
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

If your considering getting a TESLA, please PM me! I may have a discount code.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobodawg92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobodawg92 View Post
    Nice article, where did it come from?
    yours truly.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to UWSLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 191 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Nice to see what our guys are about! Thank you for the write up! Go Antino!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Jacobsladder For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,887 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 660 Times in 306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UWSLobo View Post
    It was surprising that Antino did not score in the cherry silver game. He said that he is taking guidance from Coach Weir to play solid defense, so that's what he is focusing on right now. But sooner or later, he will start shooting. It will be interesting to see how coach Weir manages him.

yep, at least for that scrimmage, he played balls to the wall D and was a distributor. He showed a high motor. I enjoyed his effort. Scoring and shooting - we'll see.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,311 Times in 6,317 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 159 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UWSLobo View Post
    yours truly.
    and a job well done, even for your profession! ;-)
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

If your considering getting a TESLA, please PM me! I may have a discount code.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobodawg92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by boingee View Post
    I understand where you’re going with generating more contact to go to the free throw line like EB but EB flopped and focused solely on flopping and generating contact which a lot of the times refs didn’t call it so he threw up horrible, off balanced shots. Not a good comparison.

Good article tho.
    Kendall Williams averaged 180 free throw attempts per year during his four years at UNM (727 total attempts). Dairese Gary averaged about the same (had 715 total free throw attempts in his four years). Really makes Antino's numbers (206 total attempts in three years) seem puny. He's a quick guard who should try to draw a bit more contact IMO.

Thread Information