Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 484 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 558 Times in 122 Posts

Coach Fish's Future?

First Post Banner
    Lobo Soccer ended the year 8-6-4 (0-3-3 and scoreless in their final five contests) and no post season three outta the last 4 seasons. Their last home game had an announced crowd of 800. They used to put 2-3k in there. The program has taken a step backwards. There is no buzz anymore. Just look at the lack of posts on this board. And the folks here are the diehards.
    Last edited by Darkside; 1 Week Ago at 03:35 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Darkside For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you lobodude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,180 Times in 3,378 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 210 Times in 116 Posts
    I can understand the frustration. But I don't see any need to make a change. Maybe an adjustment.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lobodude For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you MaxLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,925 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 178 Times in 96 Posts
    I'm sure 95% of it comes down to recruiting. Maybe we need to hire some great young recruiters.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you RENOLOBO's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,632 Times in 2,110 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 152 Times in 80 Posts
    Need more internationals to compete...I hate saying that but the big dogs are getting them. Example: women's cross

Thanks
    Thanked 7,854 Times in 1,878 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RENOLOBO View Post
    Need more internationals to compete...I hate saying that but the big dogs are getting them. Example: women's cross
    What?
    WHAT?

We have "internationals" players.........
    Jason Beaulieu - Cananda (stater)
    Tom Smart - England (starter)
    Aaron Scott - Scotland (starter)
    Simon Spangenberg - Belgium (starter)
    Rio Murray - England (redshirt)
    Antoine Vial - France (starter/substitute)
    Ingi Jonsson - Iceland (he was a starter, quit the team for family heath in Iceland)
    Wedner Delmonte - Haiti (substitute)
    Billy Jones - New Zealand (starter)
    Sam Gleadle - England (starter)

How many more we need? The leader of this team was Aaron Herrera - leading scorer, leading shot-taker, Fishbien moving to midfield, he'd didn't score the last 5 games. What happend ????
    Same old, same old.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,854 Times in 1,878 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 32 Posts
    Coach Fishbein:

Lobo Faithful,

Still reliving, reviewing and reassessing our season. What a whirlwind….the college soccer season is over in the blink of an eye. Three months ago we began training in the 95 degree heat of August, optimism, three days of bonding and “really getting after it” in Taos, New Mexico….three exhibition victories…..everyone healthy, fit and excited to be a “contributing” member of the squad. 21 matches in 12 weeks. Travel across the country, no hiding, no time to come up for air……fast and furious with little margin for error. The 2017 season ended last Wednesday on a cold and rainy evening in Norfolk, Virginia. Not the season we envisioned, but what a learning experience if we grow in a positive way.....0-1 defeat to UNC Charlotte in the quarterfinals of the Conference-USA Tournament. Late penalty kick awarded against us to seal our fate. We created tremendous chances, but couldn’t find the net. The story of our season…..quality defending with limited success in front of the net as the season progressed. As the head coach, I must review, take responsibility, develop a detailed and sustainable plan and make the required adjustments necessary for success. By definition, we had a winning season…sure doesn’t feel that way.

How do we evaluate success? Should a coach ever say “luck played a big role”….bad breaks or good breaks? Of the 9 Conference schools, we had the most players named to the Conference-USA Academic Team, three players nominated for Academic All-American (awarded in December), our 4 seniors will all be offered tremendous jobs upon graduation (all 4 graduating this December)….players will be offered professional tryouts and contracts…..was the season a success or a failure… every team has to deal with adversity. We dealt with quite a bit. One of our top defenders left school after 12 games for family issues and we moved an integral member of our attack to central defender, our top senior attacker missed 5 games for injury at a crucial point in the season, mononucleosis claimed another attacking player late….our attack was decimated. Was I effective as a coach? I’ve been coaching for 25 years and times have changed….that’s what “old people” say….I must be getting old. I haven’t figured out how to effectively coach Millennials. Maybe I’m too Old School: no cell phones at meals, tie your shoes, I don’t want to see your underwear…..wear a belt, no bulky red head phones around your ears when walking around in public, no hats in the building, no backward hats, wear a coat and tie on airplanes, be empathetic, leave a tip for the servers at the breakfast buffet, leave a tip for the people who clean your hotel room, tip the shuttle driver, hold the door for others, please and thank you, look em in the eye when you shake hands….firm handshake, pick up trash and leave your surroundings cleaner than when you arrived, no elbows on the dinner table, too much profanity in rap music…..am I out of date or are standards too low? College is a time of transition. You come in a boy and in theory, you leave a man who is ready to be self-sufficient and productive in a challenging and ever-changing world. The goal of our program is to develop empathetic leaders who will positively affect their communities. Do things the right way and winning will come. Getting back to millennials….I need to adjust my way of doing things without sacrificing the development and education of our players. I need another week or two to put things in perspective and effectively move forward. I will get back to you soon. Thanks for all your support and GO LOBOS!To be continued…
    FISH

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you, coach. I appreciate everything you do to make your players the best people they can be and Lobo soccer the best it can be.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to azlobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It seems like we gave up a lot of late goals on penalty kicks this year. Is this something that a coach should teach, don't foul in the penalty box. It does also seem that the coach has kind of peaked and has not been able to consistently win conference tournaments and go deep into the NCAA tournament. I don't think getting rid of the coach now is an option, but to see if he can become more consistent and coach up where the team is lacking (correcting his mistakes).

Thanks
    Thanked 7,566 Times in 1,538 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 43 Posts
    Seems like the move to Conference USA hasn't helped our performance. Being the only school in the west means everyone else in our conference travels much less than we do and the toll this take on us is more than others. Is there a correlation between the change in conference and on field success?

I realize there is no MWC men's soccer conference (no sure exactly why) but SDSU is in the Pac 12 and we play some of those teams. Could we join the Pac 12? Maybe get into that conference one sport at a time :-)
    "Believe or Leave"

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 24 Times in 14 Posts
    Thank you Coach for what you do to create an environment that will foster empathetic leaders instead of selfish, entitled and rude individuals that lower good human being IQ on our planet. We already have enough, maybe too many, of those brats in politics, entertainment, and sports. You have my support, both emotional and funding wise.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to xanthos93 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information