Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 50 Times in 18 Posts

2017 Team was the Defending Mountain CO - Champions - Lobo Football

First Post Banner
    So what happened? Last year we were in the hunt for the full gambit to play in the championship game. Last year we had some lift in our cleats, and a a little swagger in our hips. We finished 9-4 and received a sliver of the mountain Champion bracket. This year we totally dropped back to “We Are What We Are Syndrome”.
    although we can look at the team from last year and quote ourselves saying, “We lost allot of talent”. I disagree, I think we lost the leadership of accountability. In football it’s the next man up. The seniors and upper class men pass down the reigns to the next man in line for the job. This is where “Team” means something. Their is no “I” in Team, and I think we missed the up tick to another level of play. This years team doesn’t have leadership, it has individual players. I think not only the players are to blame, but it’s up to a coach to get your guys fully vested. And if you can’t get them fully vested in the program you move to the next guy in line. Losing is not acceptable in Championship teams or the mentality of a coaching staff, and the support staff. If we accept the “We Are What We Are Syndrome”, then Lobo Football will Always be a 6-6 Team, and or 3-9, and or 0-12. Until The program embraces the expectations that it achieved in the steps forward over the past four years, im afraid average will be the norm. Perhaps that’s acceptable for New Mexico football. Last year we saw a team win nine games. This year it looks like we are just happy to be there. Happy to wave at a camera when your down three touchdowns. I’m disappointed in the let down from the momentum we had from the bump last year.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobogrande62 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,222 Times in 1,217 Posts
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Groan
    Groaned 46 Times in 31 Posts
    I think "We" need to stop expecting something for nothing. If we want to a successful program we need to start taking ownership of it. Sell out the home games and bump up your donations to the university. Stop waiting for a big conference to invite us to take a share of their tv money and stop expecting our AD to catch lightening in a bottle. If we don't want to pony up the bucks then yeah, we are what we are.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to Pause The Noose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,553 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 90 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pause The Noose View Post
    I think "We" need to stop expecting something for nothing. If we want to a successful program we need to start taking ownership of it. Sell out the home games and bump up your donations to the university. Stop waiting for a big conference to invite us to take a share of their tv money and stop expecting our AD to catch lightening in a bottle. If we don't want to pony up the bucks then yeah, we are what we are.
    Wasn't this why we hired Davie? Someone special? What has Davie done to engage the community as a whole? What has Davie done to sell out games?

6. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned hobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,308 Times in 6,051 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 155 Times in 106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobogrande62 View Post
    So what happened? Last year we were in the hunt for the full gambit to play in the championship game. Last year we had some lift in our cleats, and a a little swagger in our hips. We finished 9-4 and received a sliver of the mountain Champion bracket. This year we totally dropped back to “We Are What We Are Syndrome”.
    although we can look at the team from last year and quote ourselves saying, “We lost allot of talent”. I disagree, I think we lost the leadership of accountability. In football it’s the next man up. The seniors and upper class men pass down the reigns to the next man in line for the job. This is where “Team” means something. Their is no “I” in Team, and I think we missed the up tick to another level of play. This years team doesn’t have leadership, it has individual players. I think not only the players are to blame, but it’s up to a coach to get your guys fully vested. And if you can’t get them fully vested in the program you move to the next guy in line. Losing is not acceptable in Championship teams or the mentality of a coaching staff, and the support staff. If we accept the “We Are What We Are Syndrome”, then Lobo Football will Always be a 6-6 Team, and or 3-9, and or 0-12. Until The program embraces the expectations that it achieved in the steps forward over the past four years, im afraid average will be the norm. Perhaps that’s acceptable for New Mexico football. Last year we saw a team win nine games. This year it looks like we are just happy to be there. Happy to wave at a camera when your down three touchdowns. I’m disappointed in the let down from the momentum we had from the bump last year.
    I'm sorry, but seldom are teams always at their high water mark. Look at our history. We go through ups and downs. This has been a big downer, but not necessarily mean that things will be horrible next year. A lot of guys who weren't the guys until this year are getting experience, and I think Davie is trying to fix the issues with the line.
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobodawg92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 923 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 17 Times in 6 Posts
    I expect we will be a better team next year. We haven't looked good since the 5 kids took a knee at the air force game.big think the team lost its focus during the week following that game. Between the tv radio, paper and blogs, right or wrong, we somehow lost focus. If will be hard to regain before the battles of spring camp.add the injuries and the team looks lethargic. Davie is a good coach. We'll see much improvement after the pain of camp.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to redrum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 480 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 170 Times in 70 Posts
    If the Lobos didn't have a makeshift offensive line and fumblitus we wouldn't be having this conversation
    "I was trying to be aggressive," Snell said. "I heard the crowd so I just shot the ball."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Red Crush For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,308 Times in 6,051 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 155 Times in 106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Crush View Post
    If the Lobos didn't have a makeshift offensive line and fumblitus we wouldn't be having this conversation
    True, but it is still a hard pill to swallow. I understand the frustration behind many of the posts, just can't logically agree. Emotionally, it is another story! LOL Gawd I hope we beat the weebles!
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

Thread Information