Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 206,511 Times in 26,608 Posts
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Groaned 866 Times in 461 Posts

Goodbye and to new beginnings!

First Post Banner
    First I want to thank everyone on this site for the great memories and some incredible friends I've gained over the past 11 years.

Ill try and keep this as short as I can.
    I planned on selling TLL during the time Ruben died. As many of you know, he was a mastermind money and numbers guy. He always told me not to sell TLL. It didn't matter, I was going to sell it anyways against his advice. After he died I felt like I owed it to him or... how could I go against his advice. He usually always steered right down the middle with me and kept me level headed. So after he passed I decided not to sell. I know many will tell you it was a ploy for attention or whatever but Roob was one of my best friends and I wasn't going to go against what he said. After he passed it was never really the same. I didn't go to games much anymore because I felt like I was missing my guy. It really drained a lot of my passion even though it had nothing to do with the Lobos. Still think about Roob every day and have a tear in my eye writing this right now. He was every bit as instrumental in this site as me.

Ive been doing this for now going on 11 years and its time. I don't have the time anymore. My personal life has me dedicating so much time on a new business and now my son in basketball. I don't have time to make practices anymore. Games (like tonight) are not getting priority because of my sons basketball practices and games. Im cheating everyone and lying to anyone telling them I'm putting effort into this site. I don't want it to die. It needs new life and a new direction not to mention that my other priorities need my full and undivided attention and trying to get my new projects successfully off the ground.

I had lunch with BrooklynESQ this afternoon and came to an agreement. He will be transitioning in to taking over TheLoboLair. We discussed some ideas I had but was never able to implement because of time and energy. He's coming into some more time himself that he can dedicate to the site. I will be helping him in the transition till next august when I had over all the passwords, codes, and virtual keys to the system. Im glad to have someone more passionate about UNM than me taking it over. Im really excited to see some of his ideas come to life. He's going to be great for TLL!

Thank you to everyone.
    So many to name and all you guys know who you are. Great parties, great tailgates, great fun on this website. Guys like MiniMe,(Bloo) LoboRick, Roob... man. How far its come! My guy Garish! Great people raising money for the site when we got sued. Raising money for the Wounded Warrior from NMSU. Raising money when people personally struggled and that member would pay them back. So many great and outstanding members on this site. Geezer, one of my favorites. Tybot, for giving me a shot of rum and pushing me into a balloon on the first day of mass accession.
    Ive also gained so many life long friends in the coaching business. Ryan Miller, Drew Adams, Lamont, Huss, and so many more that I won't name.
    Frank Mercogliano and all the great people at UNM. And my wife for only yelling at me for the first 7 years of marriage to get off the computer. Now she's (was) used to it. See, just keep annoying them and finally they give in!

In the short time Paul was here we had some great conversations on his vision for UNM and still are trying to fit lunch into our schedules. Lobos are in great hands with Coach Weir and I hope everyone really supports the guy as he rebuilds this job! He's really going to be really good for UNM.

So now Ill try and finish out the next few months strong as I can and then take a step back and watch Kurt grow this thing like he can and chime in when I can.

Thank you TheLoboLair for 11 years of my life that I wouldn't take back for anything!
    Cheers,
    RedPitSea
    Mark Chavez
    #UNMerciful

2. The Following 284 Users Say Thanks to Mark For This Useful Post:

19lobo49, 1EYE, 26lobo26, 2inchvert, Abqnmlobo, abqpianist, ABQrobin, adobeman, aer, ag15, ajaylobo, alamolobo, altakaia, andyp, animas, Anton, apenland01, Bachtold, Baxter4life, Bigdawg, Biggs34, bigo33, Bloo, Bluedevils12, bmccrack, Bohica, boingee, BoRealist, Bradpal, Bret, briandavid35, BrncroLobo76, bruiser, BrutusXXX, Bullchuter, Burque74, Burro lobo, Canes-Lobos, CardinalLobo, Carl81, catherine, cjalico, clen22, coalman29, COLOLOBO, crisco, Danny1982, dapelicat, datildame, DCool, dcrowley, decore76, Descartes, Desertdust, Desert_Wolf, Digital Lobo, Dirtman, Doublealum, dqtz, Dr.M, drethedawg, DruidPack, dtermined021, dtruitt, Duke, DutchBaller, DvLOBO, Eagleye, earloo41, elmassuave, Emillz, emtnlobofan, Enkil11, EZLoboCat, f5dryline, ferrari, FlyingLobo, FoKuZ, FONZ, GangsterLobo, Garishwolf, geezer, ghost25, GiJoeRay, GladToBeRich, GoLobos, golobos4, growe785, growler, guchi1, hobo, Honolobo, Hoops, horace, Howler, humble pie, ILLobo, Inside_Scoop, insurancemansam, irent18, jaclobo25, Jacobsladder, JayMarkE, jb_lobo, jdomi15, jdw, Jeffinthe505, Jenlee30, Jgabaldon427, jomera, JTX, judas_priest, JulieG, jumping jack, junior2430, jupiter2, Just Ava, kb466, KenH, kennymofo, Kimbo, klwjrw, Lalo, Lameo, Laszlo, LaVidaLobo, lbc7, leahygurl, Leviblu, LLlobo, LMULOBO, LOBO-CHAV, LOBO2013, Lobo22, Lobo2x53, Lobo4444, lobo68, loboaddict, LoboAuto, LoboBen, LoboCPA, LoboCub, LoboDawg, Lobodawg92, LoboDogg, lobodude, LoboDuff, loboexpert, lobofan11, lobofan13, lobofan22, loboforlife1, lobogabe, LOBOHOUND, loboincruces, lobojunkie, LoboLoco, Loboloko, Lobolouie1, loboman, LoboMed, LoboMike, Lobonick, Loborama, loboray, loborick, LoboTom, lobovike, lobowoof, Lobo_for_life, loopsups3, Los Lobos, Lost_Lobo, LoveTheLadies, LSUextreme, madcatz54zt, madmax, ManiacalWolf, MaxLobo, mdperovich, michael c, Miguelnavida, mikemc81, Mikrolew42, milehighlobo, MilitaryLobo, MMALobo, MontanaLobo, Mpillars, mrgoodbar, MuchoLoboFan, mwalstad, nexrad, NickRG, njoy, nmdave, nmfann, nmskin, norcallobo65, NZ Lobo, Olduffer88, Oregon Lobo, OzLobo, PackLobo23, packman38, Paolobo, Peacesells, phillylobo, pitboss, PNWLobo, polhzp, primordial, Professor, Protege1212, Rabidlobofan, Reacher, redrum, Remus Lupin, RENOLOBO, rglobo, ricmoti1, RIDIC, robbiedou, robhob, Rockin_C, Romero, rotashark, RR Rick, RV Lobo, Ryil, sandia mt, SanJoMilkman, SantaFeFan, Savaran, Scott, Sherkon, silvadog, skiinglobo, slovato, snapcase, SoCalLobo, stephanie, StoneFly, Stratosphere, summerlobo15, T-Lobo, tc20, testing132, The Crow, The26, TheHorn, TheLoboMan, ThreePointShot, ThrowinUpBos, TioLobo, TomNM, ton33loc, Tugev1, TurboGreg, txlobo95, Tybot, UNM Class of 1972, UNMerciful_1, UNMKU, unmlobo1, Unmlobo2003, unmwbfn, UNM_ALUM, UnolocoLobo, Vidal130, vigis, Vincepad, VWolf, Walkon, wallyhopp, Wasabi, WeAre, wildolobo, wilt, wolf1960, wolfman, writejav, yooperlobo, zoom

3. The Following User has GroanedMark For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,014 Posts
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Groan
    Groaned 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Thanks for all the hard work Mark.

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to The Crow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,854 Times in 1,878 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 32 Posts
    Thanks. You were great.........

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Duke For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you wallyhopp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,135 Times in 4,202 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 114 Times in 55 Posts
    I appreciate the platform over the years to voice our undivided joy and also sadness. This comes at a weird time as lobo hoops is transitioning into a new era.

I trust the new direction. Please do not hesitate to ask for subscription funds or monthly $$. I'd rather us go that route than something totally against this pretty open setup we have/had now

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to wallyhopp For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you MaxLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 178 Times in 96 Posts
    Its been a great, great outlet for so many of us. Thanks and best of luck! Hope the LL goes on for a very long time and grows even more!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to MaxLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,585 Times in 3,585 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 233 Times in 146 Posts
    Thanks Mark for providing such a great site. And Brooklyn(Kurt) is a great replacement. I'm really glad someone has stepped up to carry the load going forward.
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,179 Times in 4,099 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 131 Times in 61 Posts
    Red Pit Sea lives on in the Lair Hearts just like Roob.. !! Thanks Mark for all your devotion, still expect to see you at a tailgate.
    BrooklynESQ many thanks for taking over the" LAIR IS ALIVE..." wolf1960

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to wolf1960 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you lobodude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,180 Times in 3,378 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 210 Times in 116 Posts
    Can't thank you enough, Mark. You and this forum have meant so much to the Lobo programs, especially the minor sports, I think. And you have meant so much to us, the fans. Good luck in whatever you do next.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lobodude For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,486 Times in 500 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Thanks Mark, you provided a light at the end of the tunnel for me.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to adobeman For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Gonzlobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,735 Times in 3,726 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 1,137 Times in 388 Posts
    Thanks for the link back to New Mexico, Mark.
    $golly

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Gonzlobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you Mark!!!!!!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ajaylobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,169 Times in 4,874 Posts
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Groan
    Groaned 88 Times in 50 Posts
    Perfect plan for the transition.

Mark, you and Roob made this the best site in not only Lobo sports, but really unrivaled by any sports site I've ever seen. You built a network of coaches from former Lobo coaches to AAU guys and brought us information that, as a casual fan, I never dreamed I would have access to. A testament to you, my friend. I miss my brother, Roob, but I'm glad you listened to him and brought it through that dark time. Love you, brother.

Brookie will take this site forward into the new era. I can't wait to see it unfold. You don't need my help, but I'm here for you just in case. Onward!

"You can't go! All the plants are gonna die!"- Bill Murray in Stripes

25. The Following 15 Users Say Thanks to Bloo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 10 Posts
    It’s admirable you kept it going for so long, but it’s just as admirable to know when to walk away. I don’t know you, but I think you should be proud for both making TLL what it is and for choosing a good replacement.
    "I have never posted with less power in my life."

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Miguelnavida For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you LaVidaLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,358 Times in 1,774 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 94 Times in 65 Posts
    Lobo Nation would not be what is today without you. This site is what kept my sanity after James Bray tried to burn the palace down. I will always be grateful to you for sharing all of your (pre-family) time, expertise, and resources with the Lobo faithful. You sir, are a hero to many Lobo fans, including myself. Thank You and Good Luck in all your future endeavors!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to LaVidaLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 920 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 30 Posts
    RedPitSea!!!

TLL has been the top of my "favorites" list for over a decade.
    Looking forward to more Vegas time with you.

Thank you Mark....and Kurt!
    Last edited by Bret; 4 Days Ago at 10:24 PM.
    Lobo Nation: Proud Member since 1996

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Bret For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,208 Times in 904 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 40 Posts
    Agreed. Much thanks for the link back home. There's been ups and downs, but worth it. Started with Alford's first year.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to UNM_ALUM For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Oregon Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,906 Times in 2,173 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 109 Times in 71 Posts
    Good luck, man. This site keeps a lot of us going. Thank you for all the hard work you put into it. I hope you stick around as a participant.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Oregon Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 209 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 12 Posts
    Thank you

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to lobofan13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Thank you!!!

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Loborama For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,181 Times in 6,612 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 399 Times in 217 Posts
    really glad you will have the quality time to spend with your family and put the website in great hands. Appreciate all the insight and many hours you've dedicated to this cause over the years. Can I say, I'm an addict, lol? Keeps me linked in to Lobo sports, but also with a quality of site that parents can come on and occasionally share some thoughts.

I hope you will continue to be a regular contributor with insights and thoughts.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,359 Times in 548 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 24 Times in 15 Posts
    Thank you sir!

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Riches6 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you RENOLOBO's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,632 Times in 2,110 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 152 Times in 80 Posts
    Thank you Mark....I hope that one day unm realizes what a tremendous service you did for not only the athletic deptbut the entire university.

It's been eleven years since I have been a productive employee! Thanks to Brookie (for purchasing it) I don't have to go back to that!!

God Bless you and your family!!

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to RENOLOBO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 645 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 18 Times in 14 Posts
    LOBO Basketball has become a much better place because of this site and all of your efforts throughout the years. You have set a standard and legacy that I hope only continues in the upward trajectory you've worked so hard to achieve. A heartfelt thank you from your's truly, enjoy life amigo. God Bless.

GO LOBOS

47. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 521 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Thank you!

49. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneFly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,222 Times in 1,217 Posts
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Groan
    Groaned 46 Times in 31 Posts
    Thanks Bro!

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Pause The Noose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Mark, wishing you and your family the very best. Hope you will still contribute if you are inclined.... we enjoy your wit and insight.
    Last edited by 19lobo49; 4 Days Ago at 10:54 PM.

53. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to 19lobo49 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,505 Times in 958 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 68 Times in 29 Posts
    I'll miss your insights Mark, .... Glad Brookie is there to take the baton. From good hands to good hands. I'm very happy that the life of this board will be sustained.... Thank you to you both.

55. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Professor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 409 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 24 Times in 15 Posts
    Thanks Mark. This site is like no other. You’ve done a remarkable job and really created a great culture for Lobo sports here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo_J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 737 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Thanks Mark!

59. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Stratosphere For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,903 Times in 2,472 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,239 Times in 1,698 Posts
    Thanks for everything you've done for Lobo Nation. I especially understand the part about your son's basketball activities, as I've been lucky enough to coach my two grandsons' middle school basketball team, and I wouldn't trade it even for Lobo basketball.

Hopefully you'll continue to post here as I enjoy your views on Lobo basketball. Continue to enjoy life and Go Lobos!

61. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Thread Information