Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: BOOM

Thanks
    Thanked 9,503 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 675 Times in 204 Posts

BOOM

First Post Banner
    UNO was scrappy, they were staying close, I was getting antsy, and then BOOM. We were up by 35 and breaking 100 points AGAIN.

This team lives or dies by the three, but when they fall, holy smokes can we put up points in a hurry. And the defense really amped up. The more tired the opponent gets, the more jacked and amped our defense gets.

C-Mac will help with the halfcourt offense. But overall, I am pretty damn impressed by the explosion. Scouting report on us to this point is don't let us get hot or we can bury you in a hurry.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thanks to muyguapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,549 Times in 3,713 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 77 Times in 63 Posts
    We scored something like 28 points in basically the last 5 minutes of the game. We scored 35 in the entire 1st Half. Damn. It was great to see.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,237 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 76 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muyguapo View Post
    UNO was scrappy, they were staying close, I was getting antsy, and then BOOM. We were up by 35 and breaking 100 points AGAIN.

This team lives or dies by the three, but when they fall, holy smokes can we put up points in a hurry. And the defense really amped up. The more tired the opponent gets, the more jacked and amped our defense gets.

C-Mac will help with the halfcourt offense. But overall, I am pretty damn impressed by the explosion. Scouting report on us to this point is don't let us get hot or we can bury you in a hurry.
    Curious, still think we "settled" on Weir and shouldn't have "ran" noodles off?

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to lobo For This Useful Post:

7. The Following User has Groanedlobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,461 Times in 1,643 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts
    No doubt, this team is explosive. After a mostly difficult shooting night, especially in the first half, with just over 9 minutes remaining they starting scoring in torrents. Mathis displayed the shooting touch he's never had much of a chance to show and Simons demonstrated why he was the JC scoring leader. Wow!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to ThreePointShot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,588 Times in 3,586 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 234 Times in 147 Posts
    I think we are going to see a lot of games where the first half is close then in the 2nd half the other team starts to wear down and things open up. It's pretty much Weirs game plan. I wasn't surprised at all with the close score early.
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 832 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 160 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    Are you really curious or just being $#!++y?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to bmccrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccrack View Post
    Are you really curious or just being $#!++y?
    Considering the poor treatment people experienced for rightfully dissenting to Neal and his coaching ability, I think that’s a fair question to ask either way.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Descartes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 832 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 160 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
    Considering the poor treatment people experienced for rightfully dissenting to Neal and his coaching ability, I think that’s a fair question to ask either way.
    Are you kidding me? You act like there is a certain group that was just treated so badly, ignoring just how nasty that group actually were themselves and are still proving to be.

It's not enough for you to enjoy winning, no, it's your win and another fan that disagreed with you in the past must first be called out and mocked before they can enjoy it too. You must have done a lot of lurking in that time to amass a whole 6 posts. See, it's not your win either.
    Last edited by bmccrack; 4 Days Ago at 07:50 AM.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to bmccrack For This Useful Post:

18. The Following User has Groanedbmccrack For This Un-Useful Post:

The Lobo Lair Chosen pitforever90's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,905 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 238 Times in 118 Posts
    Now people know why having McNeal, Jackson, and Simons all on the roster at the same time makes sense. On average, at least one of them is going to go off. I thought UNM looked a bit lethargic in the 1st half, but got back to their running ways in the 2nd. Part of that is getting some turnovers that aren't dead ball situations. I think that's a key to the Lobos getting in more of a rhythm. They feast on those breaks, and it gets the other team more frantic/sloppy.

The Lobo Lair Chosen pitforever90's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,905 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 238 Times in 118 Posts
    Are you kidding me?
    Yeah, the new season has started now. I'm kind of surprised at how many people want to rehash that stuff. There was plenty of time to discuss it last season.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to pitforever90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    I groaned because we need to move on. It does nothing to bring up someone’s past opinion especially when it has obviously changed.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Enkil11 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,566 Times in 2,826 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 250 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacesells View Post
    I think we are going to see a lot of games where the first half is close then in the 2nd half the other team starts to wear down and things open up. It's pretty much Weirs game plan. I wasn't surprised at all with the close score early.
    This has always been the case especially when we're playing teams that aren't used to playing at altitude. It's just that now we're going to see it on steroids.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    So much salty on this board, lol. #SaltyModernWorld

I don't know if we can explode like that against a team with equal or superior athletes (Nevada), and I realize that some games the explosion will never come. Some teams will be able to slow the running, beat the press, and force us into halfcourt for an entire game. With good defenders on the opposing team, and shots not falling for us, we will likely struggle in those games. But we will also explode a few times and win some we aren't supposed to, I think.

I am not changing my assessment that 17-18 wins is my prediction, but I do believe the capability to exceed that exists -- it will require playing at a very high level, a little luck here and there, and tremendous consistency, but it could happen. I think next year will be a year of higher expectations, with the incoming talent.

My big problem with the last regime was the "not an equal opportunity offense" crap, I feel like so many problems with team play and attitude radiated out from that philosophy. This year's group will be harder to defend. Pounding it inside to TW or asking EB to beat defenses 1 on 1 when he really doesn't have the talent to do that night in and night out made us predictable and easy to defend in the same way the pistol option can be defensed in football. Our three point shooting woes compounded that. With the threat of three coming from all over the court now, I think C-Mac will have room to operate. Joe is benefiting from it as well, he gets lost in the shuffle and finds himself open to make the hustle plays he makes so well.

Our coach is young and not super experienced, our team is new and recently thrown together..... there will be lumps, and yes there will be ugly losses. I flash to WV, who plays this style and seems to either hit home runs or strike out on 3 pitches with it ( mixed sports metaphor!). But I think Weir is maybe a lot hungrier than Neal was, and this team has a hungry feel to it as well, so I think we will be fine.

FWIW Troy Simons seems to be the real deal. Feels like we seamlessly replaced EB with a slightly better EB with a little more athleticism and better handles, and this one plays defense too. Guess we know now why EB wanted to move on. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by muyguapo; 4 Days Ago at 09:14 AM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to muyguapo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you MaxLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,925 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 178 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacesells View Post
    I agree, but the logical extension of this is that for 'better teams' (than Omaha), which will very likely be the majority of them from here on out, we may very well find ourselves in a hole in the first half...if we are as offensively cold as we came out last night. Coach mentioned last night that Omaha was guarding us much closer in the first half with their Man defense....and we really got hot in the 2nd half when we got more open looks. We can expect that this tendency will be scouted by our future competition and that's what we will get most the time. Also, I see a real possibility that 'good' teams will just not be flustered by the press (like UNO in the first half, before their ball-handling big went out).

Having said all that.....I still maintain that it's a good strategy for this team as we are flush with fairly athletic kids but will be undersized and maybe not quite as high on the talent scales as conference foes. Coach makes a great point that he likes our depth (players 4 though 10) against other team's depth...makes sense and this scheme tries to exploit that.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to MaxLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,870 Times in 1,196 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 62 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pitforever90 View Post
    Now people know why having McNeal, Jackson, and Simons all on the roster at the same time makes sense. On average, at least one of them is going to go off. I thought UNM looked a bit lethargic in the 1st half, but got back to their running ways in the 2nd. Part of that is getting some turnovers that aren't dead ball situations. I think that's a key to the Lobos getting in more of a rhythm. They feast on those breaks, and it gets the other team more frantic/sloppy.
    Weir addressed that...basically the O and the D feed off of each other. When we are not hitting shots he does not want that to impact how hard we play on D....basically feels like continueing to play hard on D will then impact how we are playing on O.....I think last night was a great representaiton of that when you look at both halves,

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 18,816 Times in 4,963 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 119 Times in 73 Posts
    That Simons is a real talent. He has a knack for getting steals, although he does gamble sometimes and misses. He will adjust and become a really good defender I feel.

Also MM is the steal of the class. That kid has a very very high ceiling. He has a slender frame but his wingspan is crazy, he is athletic and he has some good basketball skills already. We have seen him handle the ball a little, use a drop step in the post and shoot the 3. We heard early on that he is a project but he is far from that. He is a good developing player now that will only going to get better with time and experience.

33. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to MRLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    I like what I have seen from MM. Kid will be a star by the time he is a senior, he is not nearly the project I expected him to be. Huge upside, and very calm, cool, and collected. Pinchuk will also be pretty good, you can already see that he is adjusting rapidly to the NCAA D1 game and will be a very important cog with our shortage of bigs.

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to muyguapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 18,816 Times in 4,963 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 119 Times in 73 Posts
    Also pointing out the obvisous here but did anyone notice their players in the last 5 mins. They were completely gasses. One of their guard number 0 looked like he was going to pass out. I looked at our guys and no one was even breathing hard. It was amazing to see it happen that moment when they "broke."

Also UNO has some pretty decent ballhanding guards and forward that did a good job early on with the press. They usually had 3 or 4 guys out there that were really solid with the ball. I remember thinking if that would of been us with Cullen and EB in the back court against that pressure we would of been destroyed. The lack of ball handing on some of Neal's teams amazed me at times. That's one of the down falls of playing a traditional two big lineup. This year we usually have 4 guys on the court with solid handles and usually two pgs. We are no doubt going to have some ups and downs but the journey will be fun.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to MRLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 164 Times in 37 Posts
    I am loving our depth. Given the grind em down style of play it's great to have 11 contributors, plus we all know injuries will happen every year to every team. Last few years when we lost a key man the whole game plan had to radically change. I think we can play though them this year with small adjustments.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to hippyboi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,511 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 337 Times in 113 Posts
    Not sure what was more impressive, our guys catching fire or the other team just completely running out of gas with 4 min to go. Kudos to coach and the kids, this is going to be fun to watch. I was exhausted just watching.

Only complaint is that it would have been fun to see DJ, Jordan Hunter or X out there with this style of play. Moving on.....

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to BobOso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Are you kidding me? You act like there is a certain group that was just treated so badly, ignoring just how nasty that group actually were themselves and are still proving to be.

It's not enough for you to enjoy winning, no, it's your win and another fan that disagreed with you in the past must first be called out and mocked before they can enjoy it too. You must have done a lot of lurking in that time to amass a whole 6 posts. See, it's not your win either.
    So you're generalizing now. Some of those that opposed Neal were nasty while others stated their dissent in a reasonable and irenic fashion, yet both were treated equally harsh. This is the point you seem to be overlooking — it has little to do with being right and a lot more to do with poor treatment. Hopefully you defended some of those people with equally fervency (for some reason I doubt it though). I do lurk; so what? Is it a problem or unethical for me to view the forum without posting often? (I also have several accounts, mostly because I couldn't recover passwords I had forgotten) I don't look to Weir's success as an intellectual victory, but I do hope that it allows people to draw separation from their bias enough to realize how poorly they treated others who opposed Neal's coaching ability.

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Descartes For This Useful Post:

44. The Following User has GroanedDescartes For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,970 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 92 Times in 50 Posts

You seem more bitter than anyone else here. Dude, I stood by Neal all the way through his last season here, and I constantly defended him against the people you're mad at right now. It wasn't until the mass exodus began that I realized how wrong I had been about Neal all along. At that point, my stance became, "If the University isn't going to fire him, he needs to resign, because at this rate he isn't gonna have a team at all."

Weir is the current coach of UNM basketball. Comparing him to ANY former UNM coach is fair game. The only reason he gets compared to Neal more than others is because Neal is the most recent coach before him. I see absolutely no reason to be upset about that. Compare him to Neal. While you're at it, compare him to Alford, McKay, Fraschilla, Bliss, Colson, Ellenberger, and King. But, again, the reason we all compare him to Neal is because we can all see the differences so much clearer. I just don't understand why you harbor so much bitterness towards people for making such comparisons; the comparisons are perfectly reasonable.
    FEAR NOTHING!!!!!!!

46. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to RIDIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 10 Posts
    You must have done a lot of lurking in that time to amass a whole 6 posts. See, it's not your win either.

Lack of posts doesn’t equate lack of caring.

Last year sucked for everyone. We were all at each other’s throats, with loud people on either side taking things way too far. I get why a lot of people want to move on. It’s honestly like beating a dead horse for some. But the differences between this year and last are frankly staggering, so I don’t see these comparisons ending for a while.
    "I have never posted with less power in my life."

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Miguelnavida For This Useful Post:

Thread Information