Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 361 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 41 Times in 27 Posts
    First Post Banner
    My nephew started at UNM last year. He's from CO with lots of academic scholarships and had his truck stolen within a month of being here. My F350 work truck was broken into once but the alarm stopped them. My other nice F350 has been broken into twice but not stolen because of the alarm. Locks punched all 3 times on the Fords in public places during the day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nmlongbow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,216 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 395 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RENOLOBO View Post
    if i ever move back to burque i’m gonna be driving old beaters....i have an 81 toyota tercel right now that people laugh at me as they pass me but for 35 mpg i can do ugly
    I have never been one for nice cars. I ride a bike most of the time around town and i have a 2000 volvo that i paid $500 for it runs great and i never lock the doors. No one ever steals my tape deck or the tapes that go with it. haha so anyway its a pretty solid strategy you got there.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,216 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 395 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RENOLOBO View Post
    if i ever move back to burque iím gonna be driving old beaters....i have an 81 toyota tercel right now that people laugh at me as they pass me but for 35 mpg i can do ugly
    I have never been one for nice cars. I ride a bike most of the time around town and i have a 2000 volvo that i paid $500 for it runs great and i never lock the doors. No one ever steals my tape deck or the tapes that go with it. haha so anyway its a pretty solid strategy you got there.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Digital Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 44,747 Times in 10,610 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 649 Times in 406 Posts
    Sorry... I've got to agree with Brutus on this one. It's one thing to post off topic stuff during the off season, but when it is basketball season, I would like to see the focus be on Lobo related basketball news even if it is about how former players are doing, rival team news, etc.

Also, there are better avenues for an issue such as this. For example: https://www.cabq.gov/police/

Check the navigation link on the left, police upcoming events, crime prevention and safety, community involvement and education, community policing council, crime mapping, etc.

I agree that crime is a serious issue and I think that the mayor elect will be very receptive to community input. For example, El Paso, a comparable city which is much closer to the border managed to get their auto theft problems under control. http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/...4ward/4577604/

It can definitely be done.

However, if you really feel passionate about helping to reduce crime, don't sit on the sidelines. Get involved in your community.

Now let's get back to talking about Lobo basketball.

A mile high and louder than howl

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 Times in 910 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 40 Posts
    I like how people automatically assume that by hiring more police it will curb crime. It will most likely just result in more arrests not real change. Change needs to start with the legal system in NM. From my experience the legal system in NM does nothing to deter crime. It's extremely criminal friendly from the police that get scrutinized at every turn, to the lazy prosecutors to the liberal judges that do not focus on accountability for criminal behavior. It seems the criminal justice system in NM just promotes more crime. Very sad because it has the potential to be an incredible place to live.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UNM_ALUM For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,976 Times in 6,870 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 412 Times in 226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by attydude View Post
    Man Iím sorry, but thatís terribly shortsighted.
    I'd like to hear your much more thoughtful plan...

Thanks
    Thanked 10,140 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 67 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutusXXX View Post
    I think the posting of these topics on a college basketball internet site devoted to Lobo BB is a great recruiting tool for the schools the coaching staff is trying to beat out for a prospective recruit. Is there not some place else that these concerns could be addressed?
    Perhaps three UCLA recruits would feel right at home knowing the theft that happens in Albuquerque. And, you steal here - you face no consequences either!!
    ďA positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.Ē - Herm Albright

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM_ALUM View Post
    I like how people automatically assume that by hiring more police it will curb crime. It will most likely just result in more arrests not real change. Change needs to start with the legal system in NM. From my experience the legal system in NM does nothing to deter crime. It's extremely criminal friendly from the police that get scrutinized at every turn, to the lazy prosecutors to the liberal judges that do not focus on accountability for criminal behavior. It seems the criminal justice system in NM just promotes more crime. Very sad because it has the potential to be an incredible place to live.
    Officer staffing levels, legal reform and police reform are all needed. However, APD is currently understaffed by 400 officers. If you think that there is not a correlation between the decrease in officers and the increase in crime I don't know what to tell you.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you COLOLOBO's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,317 Times in 2,443 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 528 Times in 210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VWolf View Post
    Could be a bad idea. A friend of mine tried to stop some teenage gang-bangers from stealing his car in college and they shot him in the neck (after he was already on the ground). He luckily survived, but you definitely better be careful if you take the law into your own hands. Some gangs don't mess around and they very well might be out in force. They might get the upper-hand even if you are armed.

Vote for more tax levies to pay for more police, and keep calling your councilmen, mayor, and police.
    Stop electing democrats they will not enforce the law and hold anyone accountable. Q elected another dem to mayor, repeating the same mistake expecting another outcome is not very bright!
    Last edited by COLOLOBO; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by COLOLOBO View Post
    Stop electing democrats they will not enforce the law and hold anyone accountable. Q elected another dem to mayor, repeating the same mistake expecting another outcome is not very bright!
    Very myopic thinking. Albuquerque had a republican mayor the last 8 years and we have the 2nd highest crime rate in the country,

We've had a republican governor the last 8 years and we rank near the top in poverty and near the bottom in education.

You're right about one thing though. Albuquerque voters didn't want to make the same mistake which is why they elected Tim Keller.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 Times in 910 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Lobo View Post
    Officer staffing levels, legal reform and police reform are all needed. However, APD is currently understaffed by 400 officers. If you think that there is not a correlation between the decrease in officers and the increase in crime I don't know what to tell you.
    More cops equals more arrests it's not a difficult concept to grasp. Sure more cops would help with deterring car thefts, but unless they are camped out in every neighborhood of the city it wont make a significant difference. Now the response time to when you call in your stolen vehicle will definitely be reduced if they filled their staffing shortfall. Honestly, when a community such as ABQ has been tops in crime for decades there's probably just a wee bit more to the story than not enough cops. ABQ doesn't even have an inner city to help offset it's high crime rates.
    Last edited by UNM_ALUM; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:47 AM.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,553 Times in 6,120 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 155 Times in 106 Posts
    Sorry if I offended anyone.

I must confess, I do find it odd this discussion was allowed to go on on the football board, but moved on the hoops side.....

Peace and Go Lobos!
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobodawg92 View Post

I must confess, I do find it odd this discussion was allowed to go on on the football board
    Where? I don’t see a similar discussion on the football board.

Thread Information