Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,915 Times in 581 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 23 Times in 20 Posts

BSU v UNM Postgame Thread

First Post Banner
    Rough loss, played flat after two good games.

I hope we can get back on the horse, but that was very much like Maryland.
    "I have never posted with less power in my life."

"GP2 Posting! GP2 Posting!"

Thanks
    Thanked 54,833 Times in 12,864 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 702 Times in 410 Posts
    Only thing you can take from it is some guys didn't quit in the second half and still played hard. Shots still wouldn't fall for the most part, though.

Weir is being tested right now. He's got a couple of problem people that he needs to face the music on. Troy Simons obviously being one. Looks like a real attitude problem. You can't have a guy who is thrown out of multiple games. Then, of course, you have Sam Logwood. Who still pouts out there when things don't go his way, which is quite often. This after his "leave" from the team previously. It appears that nothing has changed there.

IMO Weir needs to send a stronger message to those guys, regardless of the outcome of games. Other than that, just try to move on from this horrific performance.
    Last edited by LoboMike; 01-03-2018 at 09:22 PM.

3. The Following 15 Users Say Thanks to LoboMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 629 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 484 Times in 73 Posts
    Logwood trying to go ISO early in the game is just ridiculous. Not good when he's trying to take over

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to tooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 596 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 125 Times in 61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelnavida View Post
    Rough loss, played flat after two good games.

I hope we can get back on the horse, but that was very much like Maryland.
    Probably because Boise St is as good or better than Maryland. I'm not saying we didn't have a horrible game because we did. I am saying that our horrible game might've had something to do with the quality of opponent we played. Boise St. beat a very solid Oregon team at Oregon and just beat UNLV at UNLV. Think we need to give credit where credit is due.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Tugev1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 787 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 183 Times in 81 Posts
    For the folks who try to argue ...size doesn't matter...as per a thread about 2 weeks ago..Coach spent a huge portion of his radio post game comments on the effect boise size effected this game

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Clubmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,781 Times in 2,434 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 202 Times in 120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugev1 View Post
    Probably because Boise St is as good or better than Maryland. I'm not saying we didn't have a horrible game because we did. I am saying that our horrible game might've had something to do with the quality of opponent we played. Boise St. beat a very solid Oregon team at Oregon and just beat UNLV at UNLV. Think we need to give credit where credit is due.
    Fair point. There was a pretty stark talent differential out there tonight.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,915 Times in 581 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 23 Times in 20 Posts
    I think it’s similar in that we played an arguably better team to the wire, lost, then fell flat on our faces.
    "I have never posted with less power in my life."

"GP2 Posting! GP2 Posting!"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Miguelnavida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelnavida View Post
    I think it’s similar in that we played an arguably better team to the wire, lost, then fell flat on our faces.
    Nevada is talented, no doubt, but they don't have the size that Maryland or Boise St have. I don't think it's that surprising for us to compete, when we're having a good night from a few guys, with teams that are undersized and not deep like Nevada. It's much harder for us to ever compete with teams that have size unless all our guys are clicking and hitting shoots.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Tugev1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,240 Times in 6,162 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 630 Times in 305 Posts
    If we are not hitting our threes at better than 22% we will not beat anyone. It is a tough night to have. Everyone, but Mathis missed so poorly. 43% for Anthony 15% total for the rest of the team. Too me it didn't look like it was that great a defense either. If we don't shoot well, we won't win many:-(
    Last edited by JulieG; 01-03-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Mathis should be starting and playing a lot more minutes in my opinion. Simons just isn't cutting it. I've seen people post that shooters need to keep shooting to get themselves out of a slump but I think Simons issues go much deeper than his poor shooting.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Tugev1 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,278 Times in 7,952 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 465 Times in 260 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboMike View Post
    Weir is being tested right now. He's got a couple of problem people that he needs to face the music on. Troy Simons obviously being one. Looks like a real attitude problem. You can't have a guy who is thrown out of multiple games. Then, of course, you have Sam Logwood. Who still pouts out there when things don't go his way, which is quite often. This after his "leave" from the team previously. It appears that nothing has changed there.
    Actually, one of our better games of the year was against NMSU at home, even though we choked away a big lead late. We played really hard that game, the one Sam missed.

All coaches have to make tough choices. Alford did, even when we thought he finally had our inside beast-man, Rusher, he couldn't even make it out of summer school. Will Brown another tough casualty.

One thing IMO that doomed us the last 3 years was lack of cohesion in the locker room and appears coach needs to get that addressed quickly.

IMO, we need to get into a more consistent starting line-up. Coach is handicapping the team by 5-10 points per game simply by putting a diff line-up out there every night.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 15 Times in 13 Posts
    There is no doubt that Boise is a great team with great fundamentals and nothing was taken away from them. The original post was accurate in that the Lobos were flat and missed easy shots. Many shots that they normally make were not falling and these shots were wide open. This does not diminish or minimize Boise.

Thanks
    Thanked 54,833 Times in 12,864 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 702 Times in 410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txlobo95 View Post
    Actually, one of our better games of the year was against NMSU at home, even though we choked away a big lead late. We played really hard that game, the one Sam missed.

All coaches have to make tough choices. Alford did, even when we thought he finally had our inside beast-man, Rusher, he couldn't even make it out of summer school. Will Brown another tough casualty.

One thing IMO that doomed us the last 3 years was lack of cohesion in the locker room and appears coach needs to get that addressed quickly.

IMO, we need to get into a more consistent starting line-up. Coach is handicapping the team by 5-10 points per game simply by putting a diff line-up out there every night.
    Yeah, all that is true. Point being about these two particular players is that when things do not go well, they will lash out, pout, do their own thing, whatever you want to call it. Simons did it at NMSU, Logwood did it at Colorado, both did it tonight. There have been other smaller episodes during the season, as well. Some have been mentioned on this very board.

I think Weir needs to address it in a firm way in order to set a tone. It's beside the point that Sam is gone from the program in a couple of months anyway. All this can still have longer term effects in trying to build a program. End this type of behavior and reward guys who stay true to the team concept. I see guys out there who have that mindset also, so it's not all bad. Just need to put a stop to this other stuff.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to LoboMike For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,278 Times in 7,952 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 465 Times in 260 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboMike View Post
    Simons did it at NMSU, Logwood did it at Colorado, both did it tonight. There have been other smaller episodes during the season, as well. Some have been mentioned on this very board.

I think Weir needs to address it in a firm way in order to set a tone.
    Did coach Weir let something slip out of the bag? He specifically references Simons dealing with some off the court issues as well the last couple weeks, not just on the court issues? Was the first thing Grammer wanted to address with coach.

https://www.facebook.com/TheAlbuquer...5358104453237/

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Did coach Weir let something slip out of the bag? He specifically references Simons dealing with some off the court issues as well the last couple weeks, not just on the court issues? Was the first thing Grammer wanted to address with coach.

Well I’m not sure if he was keeping anything a secret , but I’m sure he doesn’t want to go into players personal issues in a mini presser. I don’t think there’s much he can do with this season, He came in with the hand he was dealt, players he didn’t recruit and players he needed to plug some holes to get him through a season hopefully in the middle of the pack. Next season he’ll have much more talent , kids he recruited and hopefully he can bring in a few more.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to BLM Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan

Coach Weir sounds a bit lost in that interview. I guess after a butt kicking like we took tonight it's not surprising. It's just unfortunate to hear the frustration with the guys on the team. Hopefully they'll all stick together and try to salvage something from this year. Exceeding the general expectations of the media at the beginning of the year for us finishing 9th in the MWC would be a win in my book.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 806 Times in 148 Posts
    Nobody expected a win tonight, but a loss of this magnitude sets us pretty far back especially after the moral victory at Nevada. This better be the end of Weir's let's be the fighting donuts philosophy. We got filleted tonight.
    Last edited by goAK1; 01-04-2018 at 03:18 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 242 Times in 120 Posts
    I've seen people post that shooters need to keep shooting to get themselves out of a slump but I think Simons issues go much deeper than his poor shooting.
    Regardless of what issues he may have going on outside, he is one of the guys that has to keep shooting it. Lobos have to win games by shooting the 3P this year. That's their best chance. I think it's in some of the guys heads right now and they just have to break through it.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to pitforever90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,307 Times in 594 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 29 Times in 16 Posts
    I believe in Weir. I trust in his recruiting. Can't wait til he has his guys, his system in full gear. The Lobos will rise again!

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Lalo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    I have seen some real good out of this group. No, they are not going beat teams like Boise that are big and firing on all cylinders. They can, however, beat a number of the rest of the league's teams when we do bring our offense and play decent defense. I would be discouraged when we shoot so poorly like we did last night just like the coach was. I do believe that as discouraging as last night was that we will regroup. What I do see in this group is that they don't quit. I do believe that he has to tailor his starting team to who we play and that some need to see more of the court, especially Anthony.
    JulieG

Thanks
    Thanked 8,781 Times in 2,434 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 202 Times in 120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieG View Post
    I have seen some real good out of this group. No, they are not going beat teams like Boise that are big and firing on all cylinders. They can, however, beat a number of the rest of the league's teams when we do bring our offense and play decent defense. I would be discouraged when we shoot so poorly like we did last night just like the coach was. I do believe that as discouraging as last night was that we will regroup. What I do see in this group is that they don't quit. I do believe that he has to tailor his starting team to who we play and that some need to see more of the court, especially Anthony.
    I still wouldn't be that surprised if the game at UNM is much closer or we win. Our lower talent equals inconsistency....a few more players might have good nights for that one and most likely BSU won't be as hot as they were.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to MaxLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 1,967 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 79 Posts
    A lot of doom and gloom on this site. It sucks to lose and if sucks worse to lose like we did. However, if people just take a breath and realize what has happened to this program over the past year it should be easier to understand. I said it at the beginning of the season that we are not going to have a great win/loss record. I'm not surprised by our record but I also know that brighter days are ahead. Boise is a good team with experienced players. We just don't have the talent right now to complete at that higher level and that shouldn't surprise anyone who has paid attention to the program over the past several years.

The more surprising thing to me is Logwood, who I really thought would thrive in this system and being out from under Neal's system. I hope he pulls out of his funk but at this point in his career it doesn't look promising.

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to jbarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,955 Times in 2,800 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 322 Times in 129 Posts
    The difference in talent was glaringly obivous. Rice is a very good coach and an experienced coach who has done a nice job recruiting players to Boise. Weir was at a distinct disadvantage in that area since he only had a few months to try and recruit some players. The butt kicking the Lobos took will be just as bad if they meet again IMO.

Logwood seems to be going through the motions and simply playing out his last year before moving on. Team still lacking strong inside play and Boise exposed that weakness from start to finish. Boise finished a shade under 60% from the field and that was primarily due to a ton of layups and putbacks. They also have a go to killer in Hutchison who seemed to score when he wanted to. Boise emptied their bench and still won by 28.

Hope that next years infusion of new players improves Weir's teams. Hard to see how it won't.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,955 Times in 2,800 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 322 Times in 129 Posts
    DBL post bug.
    Last edited by Hoser; 01-04-2018 at 09:39 AM.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 286 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 78 Times in 30 Posts
    One bad game and our version of the Boo Birds come out in spades. Get a grip! BSU came out and punched them in the face. Shots weren't falling, even though most were good looks, intensity was there through the end. Some played well on the offensive side (Fursty, Mathis) and the rest didn't. Lobos ended up turning them over 17 times. Critique, yes, but this isn't the end of the world. I see this as the beginning of running Weir off, as we have done time and again. Even if he does well, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he gets the hell out of here as fast as possible. Calm down, back off, try to enjoy the games.
    Last edited by cjalico; 01-04-2018 at 09:08 AM.

42. The Following 15 Users Say Thanks to cjalico For This Useful Post:

43. The Following User has Groanedcjalico For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 1,967 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cjalico View Post
    One bad game and our version of the Boo Birds come out in spades. Get a grip! BSU came out and punched them in the face. Shots weren't falling, even though most were good looks, intensity was there through the end. Some played well on the offensive side (Fursty, Mathis) and the rest didn't. Lobos ended up turning them over 17 times. Critique, yes, but this isn't the end of the world. I see this as the beginning of running Weir off, as we have done time and again. Even if he does well, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he gets the hell out of here as fast as possible. Calm down, back off, try to enjoy the games.
    Good post and I agree 100%.

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to jbarr For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,537 Times in 4,059 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 88 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cjalico View Post
    Good post. But be careful--any call for patience and sanity may draw the ire of certain posters here. Perspective is not the strong points of some.

47. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,308 Times in 6,317 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 159 Times in 108 Posts
    First, I have been surprised that there have not been calls for the coach before now. Maybe amazed is more the word. I want to believe better things are in store, but there is a part of me that wonders how it will really shake out. I am not calling out players, I am not calling out Weir, but I am disappointed with how things have gone this season. I did not get to see last nights game, but if indeed we are having character issues, why did we get rid of all the kids before the season started, and Weir wanted some of that apparently??? I have not given up on a reasonable showing for the season, but time is getting short for improvement to come.... :-(

FWIW, I still have my butt firmly planted in my seat at the games! :-)
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

If your considering getting a TESLA, please PM me! I may have a discount code.

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobodawg92 For This Useful Post:

50. The Following User has GroanedLobodawg92 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 140 Times in 58 Posts
    I have been very critical so I will try and reel myself in. But that matador defense the first half last night was pathetic. Size aside, they were not putting much effort on the D end. Lobos miss a 3 and allow a wide open lay up. And Simons acting like he does is a very bad sign. I hope Coach can get a grip on this team.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobodawg92 View Post
    First, I have been surprised that there have not been calls for the coach before now. Maybe amazed is more the word. I want to believe better things are in store, but there is a part of me that wonders how it will really shake out. I am not calling out players, I am not calling out Weir, but I am disappointed with how things have gone this season. I did not get to see last nights game, but if indeed we are having character issues, why did we get rid of all the kids before the season started, and Weir wanted some of that apparently??? I have not given up on a reasonable showing for the season, but time is getting short for improvement to come.... :-(

FWIW, I still have my butt firmly planted in my seat at the games! :-)
    I did see the game last night and two players got slightly huffy with each other in the larger view. Simon tends be very tightly wound, which is not entirely unusual in competitive athletes. If he had produced more this year I am sure it would have an effect on the perception of him. While I believe with this offense that if you have a shot you take it, I think that when you are shooting air balls or missing layups that the coach needs to reel you in. They were so horrible in their shooting last evening (exception Joe and Anthony) that it may have been that nothing would correct that in that circumstance. I do think that Simon and Longwood do need some introspection and most likely some time on the bench:-(
    JulieG

53. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Thread Information