Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,944 Times in 3,834 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 242 Times in 155 Posts

Defense style going forward

First Post Banner
    We've seen some success with backing off the full court pressure and playing solid half court defense in recent games. Give your thoughts on whether you think Coach Weir will continue this trend or try to push the full court defense once the team has 10 eligible players again?
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 596 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 125 Times in 61 Posts
    I think Coach Weir is doing a good job lately of adjusting the defense to what is working. Using full court press in the first half of games and then backing off and playing tough man to man in the second half might be taking something out of teams. Yes the full court press is going to give up highlight real dunks but it's also causing a huge increase in workload early on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tugev1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 619 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 37 Times in 26 Posts
    Ironically, they should have been full court pressing at the end instead of letting them roll the ball to half court and take quick shots. It would have burned more time off the clock if they would have pressed and forced them to pick up the ball right away.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to apenland01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 140 Times in 21 Posts
    He will adjust accordingly. The players are adjusting to the half court offense, deflecting passes, switching with fluidity/ continuity, going after 50/50 loose balls, weak side help is improving, once this is intact as it now is progressing, switching to a full court press can be utilized, accordingly~~ with success. Hard to implement a pressing defense before teaching the basics of defense as the team is now playing in the half court, Keep in mind, defense is not stressed by many teams as you well know with the Neal era. Lobos are ahead of the curve in the mountain west and will be a factor in the tournament as a Cinderella Team..They are over the hump in learning not to quit.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to ss409 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,264 Times in 6,162 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 630 Times in 305 Posts
    I think that the team they are playing determines how much they press. Unlike earlier when it was all press they have really picked up their half court defense. If the other team has good ball handling it is more difficult to keep the press on more than cursory. We also have Joe who is giving us excellent basket defense. I have been very impressed with the defense in just the last four weeks or so. Not there all the time, but getting much more dependable.
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 54,834 Times in 12,864 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 702 Times in 410 Posts
    It's kind of by necessity with a couple of guys being out, but I definitely like it better so far. Maybe once we get guys with more length and athleticism in future years, we'll be more prepared to excel in the press, but that's not what we have right now. The group we have right now can be good in the half court defensively. We're starting to see more of that. I say stick with it. Regardless of if/when we get Sam and Troy back.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to LoboMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 695 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 18 Times in 14 Posts
    IMO I think pressing initially at the onset is a good strategy, dictates tone and pace challenges opponents physically. I also think backing off settles us down a bit but still sends a message of unpredictability especially if it produces a positive effect. The timing when to press in the last twenty minutes could be beneficial based on result, rotation and affect/wear on the opponent. Weir's system seems to include wearing opponents down. I don't anticipate Coach Weir to completely abandon the press going forward.

GO LOBOS

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to wolfman For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Burro lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,591 Times in 4,198 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 34 Times in 25 Posts
    I have got to say that the personnel that is available now also seem to be better adjusted on the defensive side and are showing up in our half court in a great way! I think we are just a better team with who is getting more playing time now. I also would have liked for us to put someone on the inbound ball and not let them put up those quick shots after rolling the ball down the court! I also want to say our young players are starting to show up and I feel we just overall look stronger and taking the ball inside against a WYO team and going hard to the basket showed some real toughness! I thought it put a little tweak that WYO didn't expect and the freshman and Joe just looked good and excited! I also thought that WYO was set up to keep Dane from shooting but the rest of the team was more than able to take up the slack. WYO is a really tough team and top heavy with 3 srs. a jr. and a freshman and they showed their poise, but the Lobos got what I thought was their best win so far.
    I think they learner something of how good they can be, now to build on just how they were ready last night and take it forward!

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Burro lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,207 Times in 828 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 29 Times in 18 Posts
    They're gonna go inside, they're gonna go outside, inside and outside. They're gonna get 'em on the run and once they get 'em on the run they're gonna keep 'em on the run. And then they're gonna go go go go go go and they're not gonna stop til we win.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to lobosrsk For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,281 Times in 7,953 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 465 Times in 260 Posts
    I hope coach Weir only plays it sparingly the rest of the year. It's hard to win a game when you give up lay-ups and dunks on the back end of a failed press, then taking highly contested shots on your offensive end.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,915 Times in 581 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 23 Times in 20 Posts
    I think we need to keep playing it, just so everybody is still getting used to it for next year; but we also need to work on half-court defense, since it’s been working surprisingly well.

There are going to be teams who will kill us in the press and there will be teams who will fold under pressure. We need to be able to beat both.
    "I have never posted with less power in my life."

"GP2 Posting! GP2 Posting!"

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Miguelnavida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,459 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 54 Times in 30 Posts
    I think the plan is to press as much as possible. When teams prove they can break it with ease, we'll back off and play tough half court defense. But I fully expect, and hope, that Weir continues to recruit to the press.
    "I wish we played in front of a crowd at home like this." - Bobby Knight on playing in The Pit.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to junior2430 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,464 Times in 4,358 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 879 Times in 459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txlobo95 View Post
    I hope coach Weir only plays it sparingly the rest of the year. It's hard to win a game when you give up lay-ups and dunks on the back end of a failed press, then taking highly contested shots on your offensive end.
    What is refreshing about all of this is that we witnessed something that wasn't working well on the court, and saw the coach gradually make a relatively major change in the defensive philosophy to suit the personnel. I am very glad Weir isn't like some coaches who will continually pound a square peg into a round hole.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to VWolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,505 Times in 4,505 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 82 Posts
    I agree with those that have said it will be match-up dependent. Who are we facing and how well do they respond to the pressure... I think it's good to put the press out there earlier to see how the opponent responds to it, and then make adjustments from there. I really wish the rest of our game had been there vs Boise, because the pressure was one of the few things that seemed to give them trouble in that game, we just couldn't put anything else together to compliment it. I don't see coach reverting back to all out press much of the game, we were leaning away from that before the issues with Sam and Troy.

I would guess that especially when Simons comes back it will give coach a little more reason to up the pressure a little more than we've seen the last couple of games. Troy's offense has obviously been a struggle, but he has a nose for the ball and needs opportunities to use that skill and get steals.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,505 Times in 4,505 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by junior2430 View Post
    I think the plan is to press as much as possible. When teams prove they can break it with ease, we'll back off and play tough half court defense. But I fully expect, and hope, that Weir continues to recruit to the press.

I'd be almost positive he does recruit to the press. I think it's fair to assume Weir tells all his recruits what they're getting into as far as conditioning and work ethic being huge priorities in his program. Those things are priorities because he wants to press and wreak havoc with defense.

Thread Information