Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,709 Times in 2,412 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 202 Times in 120 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Quote Originally Posted by pitforever90 View Post
    50% of that could be eliminated by the Lobos not hedging towards the lane when guarding on the perimeter. Maybe it's a tendency that they get from practice as Weir puts emphasis on 2P shots coming from the paint...just a theory.
    i didn't see much of the game (yet), but I agree with this. Saw a play in first half where Joe way overplayed a guy (Joe hedging toward the middle, giving guy a clear path to hoop along baseline). Clearly, the theory is to have help pick up the guy when he blows past Joe....but the guy got to the hoop way too easy....for a slam, if I recall. We are not even trying to truly stop the penetration with on-ball defense, just to funnel the 'driver'. Very often there is nobody there to pick them up. It's clearly that we need a big time swatter (or two), to anchor the D. This is when we actually have the right guy in on-ball defense......The 'switching' problem is a whole other issue....such as when their big ended up at point blank range....being covered by Mathis who was standing right under the hoop....up for another easy jam. At least with a zone you make teams hit long shots....our current failure mode(s) give up point blank jams or layups. Last night it didn't matter anyway, I guess, as FSUwas lights out from three.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MaxLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,646 Times in 4,970 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 652 Times in 300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pitforever90 View Post
    It's just something I've noticed on TV. Example: perimeter player is to the right of the paint, Lobo player hedges left towards the lane and basically concedes a drive to the right, opponent drives to the right for a layup. It's something I've seen a number of different players do and it doesn't seem to be based on their experience level. The opponent gets by because they're out of position from the start.
    now I understand your observation. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 242 Times in 120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLobo View Post
    The 'switching' problem is a whole other issue....such as when their big ended up at point blank range....being covered by Mathis who was standing right under the hoop....up for another easy jam.
    Yeah, in the 1st half Fresno's bigs seemed to be able to get any shot they wanted. UNM was able to stop that for most of the 2nd half, but the problems with penetration continued. That said, UNM made Fresno's D look pretty bad at guarding dribble penetration as well, especially in the 2nd. Maluach, Jackson, and McNeal all had drives where their defender might as well have been a department store mannequin.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pitforever90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,908 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 166 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLobo View Post
    i didn't see much of the game (yet), but I agree with this. Saw a play in first half where Joe way overplayed a guy (Joe hedging toward the middle, giving guy a clear path to hoop along baseline). Clearly, the theory is to have help pick up the guy when he blows past Joe....but the guy got to the hoop way too easy....for a slam, if I recall. We are not even trying to truly stop the penetration with on-ball defense, just to funnel the 'driver'. Very often there is nobody there to pick them up. It's clearly that we need a big time swatter (or two), to anchor the D. This is when we actually have the right guy in on-ball defense......The 'switching' problem is a whole other issue....such as when their big ended up at point blank range....being covered by Mathis who was standing right under the hoop....up for another easy jam. At least with a zone you make teams hit long shots....our current failure mode(s) give up point blank jams or layups. Last night it didn't matter anyway, I guess, as FSUwas lights out from three.
    All colleges are playing the switch like this...ours is magnified due lack of bigs and other things!!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,709 Times in 2,412 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 202 Times in 120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RENOLOBO View Post
    All colleges are playing the switch like this...ours is magnified due lack of bigs and other things!!
    disagree....in many situations you would rather have them fight through screens than to switch. Granted, sometimes it probably can't be helped.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,362 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,766 Times in 2,084 Posts
    The potential of even two defenders crossing paths with one another seems to be reason enough for a switch.

That's just wrong.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,362 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,766 Times in 2,084 Posts
    The potential of even two defenders crossing paths with one another seems to be reason enough for a switch.

That's just wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 54,708 Times in 12,848 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 702 Times in 410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_for_life View Post

That's just wrong.
    Agreed. Two guards switching while defending two opposing guards is one thing. We switch guard onto big and big onto guard more than any other team I've seen in college hoops this year. That's not a recipe for successful defense. Unless you have a full lineup of 6-6 to 6-8 tremendous athletes or similar.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,155 Times in 6,142 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 630 Times in 305 Posts
    Important thing is there were the two Taylors were exceptionally hot from the three one at 60% and the other at 80%, when someone is shooting like that it certainly creates pressure to cover them if you can. We have two freshmen, one JC player and the rest didn't exactly come out of a defensive powerhouse. From what I see there are times when we have it together and times when we don't and those times usually mean we are on the road, and occasionally at home. They're coming, but there is quite a distance to cross.
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,646 Times in 4,970 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 652 Times in 300 Posts
    The switching all picks has it's +s and -s just like all defenses. On the negative side, it certainly leads to mismatches. Our bigs have to defend guys outside much quicker than them (must admit that I am please how well Joe has been able to do this) which at times leads to extreme vulnerability to dribble drive and then help leads to open threes and our smaller guys get suck on bigs down low at times & that creates the need to get help which at times leads to an open three by the help defender's man. On the plus side it takes away the other teams pick and roll, pick and pop and in general high ball screen difficulties. It also means at times the other guys get stuck with one of their bigs on the outside being harassed by one of our quick guards which can lead to turnovers and steals. It can also be helpful if you are trying to trap often.

Like any other defensive strategy, it has its strengths and weaknesses and the bottom line is how well you play it and how well the other guys exploit the weaknesses of whatever D you are playing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 561 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 197 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abqnmlobo View Post
    Totally agree and you could throw in Connor as a third that didn't make the trip. I'm really enjoying watching this team, I don't think anybody that follows the lobos was expecting much this year but thier effort makes them fun to watch even if the W's and L's aren't what were used to. And how bout Maulach! He's gonna be fun to watch develope!
    I was not thrilled when Weir was hired and anticipated a dismal year. I was wrong on all counts. Weir, in a complete rebuilding year, has the Lobos playing hard from start to finish and (for the most part) competitive every game. These guys are IMO over-achieving and I can't remember the last time I thought that about a UNM team. Props to coach, I'm looking forward to the future of this program.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Lobofan77 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information