Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work to Do

Thanks
    Thanked 6,760 Times in 1,694 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Going into the season, my thought was that the Lobos would play hard, be more fun to watch and would exceed expectations, finishing above the projected 9th place in conference. I figured their win/loss total would be around .500, possibly a little over. There have been some bumps in the road, which were to be expected, and the Lobos have been very short of personnel at times, which wasn't really expected, but that happens in basketball. However, overall the Lobos have so far met and in some ways exceeded what I had hoped at the beginning of the year.

There's still a lot of basketball to be played in the regular season, followed by the MWC tourney, where anything could happen. Like most, I'll reserve my final judgment until the end of the season, but I have enjoyed this year's group of Lobos and am feeling more optimistic about Lobo basketball than I have for a few years.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to ThreePointShot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 559 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 75 Times in 26 Posts
    There is plenty of work that needs to be done. coach keeps reiterating that to us fans and we will continue to see his culture instilled in this program. I feel that the buzz about lobo basketball is slowly coming back. I also know of a lot of fans who are headed back to Vegas for the MWCT this year after not going for several years. UNM has already sold out with their allotment of tickets, so his year is going to be one that we are going to build on and get moment from. Still lots of basketball to play this year and we all know that PIT west has lobo magic built in the arena.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,282 Times in 7,953 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 465 Times in 260 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacesells View Post
    you expected the lobos to compete for 1st place in conference?
    Are you kidding? Nit only takes 1st place teams? There are no at large teams? I figured top 100 rpi, better than .500 in conf, "possible" nit. I figured top 5 mwc finish.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,945 Times in 3,834 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 242 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txlobo95 View Post
    Are you kidding? Nit only takes 1st place teams? There are no at large teams? I figured top 100 rpi, better than .500 in conf, "possible" nit. I figured top 5 mwc finish.

1st place teams that don't make the NCAA and bubble teams. Are you saying you expected the Lobos to be in that position this season?
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

Thanks
    Groan
    1st place teams that don't make the NCAA and bubble teams. Are you saying you expected the Lobos to be in that position this season?
    Just to clarify, you have 68 ncaa teams and 64 nit teams for a total of 132 right? Yes I thought we could be a top 100 team. If Connor played all year, we just might have been.

Thanks
    Groan
    Just to clarify, you have 68 ncaa teams and 64 nit teams for a total of 132 right? Yes I thought we could be a top 100 team. If Connor played all year, we just might have been.
    NIT is 32 teams. Guaranteed slots to conference winners that don't make the NCAA and at large bids determined by a panel.
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

Thanks
    Groan
    NIT is 32 teams. Guaranteed slots to conference winners that don't make the NCAA and at large bids determined by a panel.
    Ok, so that's still 100 teams

Thanks
    Thanked 6,760 Times in 1,694 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Simply being top 5 in a conference the level of the Mountain West no longer punches a ticket for NIT. For the old NIT that would have been true. They'd take anyone decent who could draw a large crowd. In 2005 the NCAA took over the NIT and it became much more selective than it used to be. As was mentioned previously, conference winners who missed out on an NCAA bid automatically get in. Then a committee chooses the rest.

Unlike years ago, when ESPN was involved in the selections and chose according to ratings and other considerations, the selections are now handled by a group of ex-coaches. So it's more the best teams who missed out on the NCAA tournament who are getting the at-large bids.

The last few years the number of post-season bids (NCAA and NIT combined) has been down for the Mountain West. So it's unlikely a team finishing as low as 5th in conference has any chance for the NIT unless the MWC can restore it's reputation and competitiveness.
    Last edited by ThreePointShot; 02-15-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks
    Groan
    Ok, so that's still 100 teams
    What record puts the Lobos in the top 100?

Thanks
    Groan
    What record puts the Lobos in the top 100?
    Depends on SOS and how you do. Our rpi now is around 150 or so? If Connor was playing all year, is that worth at least 5 more wins? If so we would be in contention for an NIT.

Thanks
    Groan
    Depends on SOS and how you do. Our rpi now is around 150 or so? If Connor was playing all year, is that worth at least 5 more wins? If so we would be in contention for an NIT.
    The Lobos are at 177 now. Sounds like you thought the Lobos would be a 22+ win team this season with Connor. That was a pretty optimistic outlook imo.

Thanks
    Groan
    The Lobos are at 177 now. Sounds like you thought the Lobos would be a 22+ win team this season with Connor. That was a pretty optimistic outlook imo.
    No, actually, I thought somewhere in the 17-21 win range. Like I said, in contention for an NIT bid, not a 100% guarantee of one. If Connor had been playing all year though, I have no doubt, we would have 5 more wins right now.

Thread Information