Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work to Do

Thanks
    Thanked 8,629 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 55 Times in 38 Posts

Work to Do

First Post Banner
    Coming into to this season sane Lobo fans(oxymoron time)thought a top five MW finish would be a big time success.
    After Tuesday’s hiccup and visions of a top three finish diminished, avoiding a Wednesday afternoon game in Las Vegas will require some work.
    Fresno and UNLV in the Pit are huge and should be bona fide battles. Pretty obvious that the Lobos will need to hold serve at Chatue Dreamstyle.
    It’s the road where stripes are earned. Lobos have two winnable games on tap both in Colorado. Forget Wyoming, there will be 110 people jammed into that barn, it will be 20 below zero outside, Dick Cheney will officiate the marriage of cousins at halftime, the referees will be from Pakistan, nothing goes right there.
    This Saturday is huge. The Lobos will play five guards, but for the few minutes from Vlad. AF didn’t send anyone to the offensive boards in the Pit, the Lobos Achilles heal. WTF?
    Does Weir say “gents we have next let’s just run these guys out of the gym”? If the Lobos let it rip and put 80-85 up can the flyboys match that?
    Real test of the Weir Way Saturday

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thanks to brooklyn_esq For This Useful Post:

3. The Following 3 Users Have Groaned brooklyn_esq For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,851 Times in 1,931 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 79 Posts
    I really hope the Lobos run, run, and run more on Saturday. When they try and slow the game down we simply aren't the same team. I understand why PW would want to slow down some in the Boise game with the lead, but that is not what this team is about and we simply don't have the players this year to grind out a half court type game. We are going to live and die by the up tempo game.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to jbarr For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Digital Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,807 Times in 10,828 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 652 Times in 409 Posts
    Yipes! What a flustercluck this game turned out to be.

A mile high and louder than howl

Thanks
    Thanked 23,218 Times in 5,937 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 619 Times in 297 Posts
    I really hope that they are able to develop some flexibility in the defensive scheme. In both of our losses lately it appears that we could use it. It will also be nice to have a well rested Joe back.
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,737 Times in 4,956 Posts
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Groan
    Groaned 92 Times in 53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklyn_esq View Post
    Coming into to this season sane Lobo fans(oxymoron time)thought a top five MW finish would be a big time success.
    After Tuesday’s hiccup and visions of a top three finish diminished, avoiding a Wednesday afternoon game in Las Vegas will require some work.
    Fresno and UNLV in the Pit are huge and should be bona fide battles. Pretty obvious that the Lobos will need to hold serve at Chatue Dreamstyle.
    It’s the road where stripes are earned. Lobos have two winnable games on tap both in Colorado. Forget Wyoming, there will be 110 people jammed into that barn, it will be 20 below zero outside, Dick Cheney will officiate the marriage of cousins at halftime, the referees will be from Pakistan, nothing goes right there.
    This Saturday is huge. The Lobos will play five guards, but for the few minutes from Vlad. AF didn’t send anyone to the offensive boards in the Pit, the Lobos Achilles heal. WTF?
    Does Weir say “gents we have next let’s just run these guys out of the gym”? If the Lobos let it rip and put 80-85 up can the flyboys match that?
    Real test of the Weir Way Saturday
    Wait.
    110 people jammed into a barn? Sounds like Clune Arena yesterday.
    20 below zero? A blizzard, in fact. Check.
    Referees from Pakistan? Uh, yeah. Check.
    Nothing goes right? I'd say check.

So for those in attendance in Colorado yesterday, how was the wedding?

"I'm sorry, but if you were right, I'd agree with you." -Robin Williams

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Bloo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,465 Times in 7,352 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 427 Times in 240 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklyn_esq View Post
    If the Lobos let it rip and put 80-85 up can the flyboys match that?

I guess we got our answer. Next year's size will solve so many issues this year's team has and can't fix.

Weir was put behind the 8 ball due to a complete fluke. BYU game was not even supposed to happen, but it did and we lose one of our main interior players for the season as a result.

Just some things you simply can't plan on. However, with post players, you almost have to always plan on at least one player going down on average each season and why you have to have enough depth to overcome it. Weir simply had slim pickings this summer and decided to pass thinking Joe and Connor would be enough.

Anyone know how many charges we took against AFA? Didn't seem like many, and it seems that's gone down recently. During our winning streak, it seems we took quite a few?

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,160 Times in 5,487 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,809 Times in 1,146 Posts
    I have coached for 18 years and I know 1 thing, the 2 most absolute TOUGHEST years I ever experienced are the years that I came in as an assistant with a seasoned head coach that just took the job. In both instances the culture prior was somewhat lacking, not much structure or discipline and was in a tail spin.. Now the head coach I worked for was like "Herman Boone" from Remember the Titans so I knew how much of a culture shock it was going to be.. Those 2 years were such a grind simply because everything had to be torn down and rebuilt, a NEW CULTURE had to be created. MANY did not like the discipline, many were confused with structure and a new direction and of course a few fought the entire process.. I knew coming in by his press conferences that PW was going to totally flip this thing upside down, new structure, discipline, expectations and yes play style.. It wont happen just in one season and for sure not overnight.. It is no nonsense with him and he seems to be trying to build that "culture" that I for one am excited about.. As a fan I am going to give him awhile to change my mind..

Thanks
    Thanked 7,859 Times in 1,579 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 60 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txlobo95 View Post

I guess we got our answer. Next year's size will solve so many issues this year's team has and can't fix.

Weir was put behind the 8 ball due to a complete fluke. BYU game was not even supposed to happen, but it did and we lose one of our main interior players for the season as a result.

Just some things you simply can't plan on. However, with post players, you almost have to always plan on at least one player going down on average each season and why you have to have enough depth to overcome it. Weir simply had slim pickings this summer and decided to pass thinking Joe and Connor would be enough.

Anyone know how many charges we took against AFA? Didn't seem like many, and it seems that's gone down recently. During our winning streak, it seems we took quite a few?
    To be fair, Weir added Vlad at the last minute. He has had a decently productive freshman season, certainly comparable to many of the best centers we have had honestly.

Weir was put behind the 8 ball but some of the personnel issues are beyond the ordinary. Next season will be completely different, particularly around the basket. I think Weir has navigated a bad situation remarkably well all the way around.
    "Believe or Leave"

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to SoCalLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,635 Times in 635 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 216 Times in 76 Posts
    Anybody expecting the success of this season to be measured strictly in wins and losses is sort of delusional imo. Weir's entire system is based on pressing the ball, running tempo and to maximize offensive possession numbers. If you look at the roster, we just don't have the long, 6'6 6'8 athletic types to run this system. Dane, Ant Mathis, Joe, Vlad, aren't the type of quick-twitch players particularly well-suited to play significant minutes in Weir's system. Sam physically fits it, but seems to be struggling to make the transition for a number of reasons. Granted all of them have played well at particular points during the season, but the margin for error is so slim that you are going to get these slip ups. This is particularly compounded by injuries and discipline issues. I suppose you can have the discussion that Weir should be more flexible in adjusting him system to fit the current roster, but I get the sense he is more concerned with implementing what he wants to do and building team culture long term rather than immediate success this year. The reality is this team was never meant to be a serious contender this year and at times has played above its head. In part due to effort and in part due to an MWC which continues to be down.
    Last edited by TheDamnFans; 1 Week Ago at 10:18 AM.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to TheDamnFans For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 325 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Next year our size length increases considerably making our D much more effective. Add to that a considerable talent influx and looks as though Lobo Nation could be in for a treat.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to bryan78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,025 Times in 4,108 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 90 Times in 74 Posts
    My main hope is that resilience continues. That we find a way to bounce back and find some rhythm/chemistry before the season ends. Highly achievable, but challenging nonetheless. In that light USU becomes at least somewhat pivotal. Go Lobos!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan78 View Post
    Next year our size length increases considerably making our D much more effective. Add to that a considerable talent influx and looks as though Lobo Nation could be in for a treat.
    Yep. If we see these defensive lapses and easy transition buckets next year with a starting 5 of Bragg, Jackson, Lyle, Drinnon/McNeal, and Maluach (along with a 5 deep bench) then I will start being more critical of Weir and his system.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Next year Joe 6'9, Sam 6'7 and Antino 6' ish leave. Drew Drinnon 6'2, JaQuan 6'5, Vance 6'9 and TaJuan Agee 6'9 will be coming in. Anthony 6'3, Troy6'3, Makuach 6'5, Dane 6'7, Jachai 6'7 and Vlad 6'10 return. Still somewhat up in the air are Isaiah Maurice 6'10 and Carlton Bragg 6'10.

Carlton is in Phoenix taking online courses and his scholarship will be offered later this year and Maurice who we have a verbal on has not signed on the dotted line. Weir most likely isn't counting his birds in a bush yet and so is probably out beating other bushes.

Last, but not least Connor's being here is pretty much up in the air from what I know.

I don't want to count anyone coming in as being here until they are practicing next fall:-)

So overall we will gain height at the 2 with JaQuan and if Vance plays the 3 we would there too, however I suspect him as stretch 4 is more likely and we are still in the same ballpark height wise as this year with the major exception of JaQuan who will, I believe improve our defense just with his height. With the known people I believe that will be here we could easily continue to play the pressing pressure defense, but if the two bigs arrive we may end up playing with less pressing.
    JulieG

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 414 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 83 Times in 28 Posts
    I like that Weir is committed to his system and building for the future (as far as style of play, culture, etc.), but in this particular game, with our only rim protector suspended, we could have switched up the D in the second half--you can't let Air Force drop 100 on you.

Also, we are in the middle of a complete collapse (1-3 in our last four with multiple player suspensions) and that is not a good look for a coach no matter the circumstances. However, I believe Weir turns it around and we finish at least 10-8, which would be truly remarkable. But, a 1 or 2 win February will have me vary concerned no matter what talent we have coming in next year.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to loboball30 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieG View Post
    Next year Joe 6'9, Sam 6'7 and Antino 6' ish leave. Drew Drinnon 6'2, JaQuan 6'5, Vance 6'9 and TaJuan Agee 6'9 will be coming in. Anthony 6'3, Troy6'3, Makuach 6'5, Dane 6'7, Jachai 6'7 and Vlad 6'10 return. Still somewhat up in the air are Isaiah Maurice 6'10 and Carlton Bragg 6'10.

Carlton is in Phoenix taking online courses and his scholarship will be offered later this year and Maurice who we have a verbal on has not signed on the dotted line. Weir most likely isn't counting his birds in a bush yet and so is probably out beating other bushes.

Last, but not least Connor's being here is pretty much up in the air from what I know.

I don't want to count anyone coming in as being here until they are practicing next fall:-)

So overall we will gain height at the 2 with JaQuan and if Vance plays the 3 we would there too, however I suspect him as stretch 4 is more likely and we are still in the same ballpark height wise as this year with the major exception of JaQuan who will, I believe improve our defense just with his height. With the known people I believe that will be here we could easily continue to play the pressing pressure defense, but if the two bigs arrive we may end up playing with less pressing.
    I'll take Connor over Maurice and Bragg. I hope he's not getting pushed out for these guys. Loyalty should be rewarded. (This is pure speculation as we always should oversign as you seem to always lose one or two unexpected players to transfer).

Thanks
    Thanked 3,422 Times in 915 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 188 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loboball30 View Post
    I'll take Connor over Maurice and Bragg. I hope he's not getting pushed out for these guys. Loyalty should be rewarded. (This is pure speculation as we always should oversign as you seem to always lose one or two unexpected players to transfer).
    I don't think anyone here has seen enough of any of those 3 to know who to prefer. This is D1 basketball and there needs to be a better reason than loyalty to keep a player.

28. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to bmccrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccrack View Post
    I don't think anyone here has seen enough of any of those 3 to know who to prefer. This is D1 basketball and there needs to be a better reason than loyalty to keep a player.
    Maybe but you have to consider all of the circumstances. I would chose a player that was loyal to the program over two guys that have been kicked off their last D-1 teams for discipline reasons. It's just something to consider, especially when you look and see that we probably do not lose to USU and AFA without player suspensions (and these are two guys that don't seem to have any discipline problems).

30. The Following User Says Thank You to loboball30 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,935 Times in 448 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccrack View Post
    Coach shows he’s not loyal to his players then he will have no players. There is more to this, I’m sure Connor and Coach have a plan and loyalty or lack of loyalty isn’t part of the dynamic.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Bradpal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpal View Post
    Coach shows he’s not loyal to his players then he will have no players. There is more to this, I’m sure Connor and Coach have a plan and loyalty or lack of loyalty isn’t part of the dynamic.
    I agree and have no inside knowledge but I really would love to see Connor get at least on full healthy year with the Lobos, rather than a guy that might never suit up for the team.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,561 Times in 2,710 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 310 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDamnFans View Post
    Anybody expecting the success of this season to be measured strictly in wins and losses is sort of delusional imo. Weir's entire system is based on pressing the ball, running tempo and to maximize offensive possession numbers. If you look at the roster, we just don't have the long, 6'6 6'8 athletic types to run this system. Dane, Ant Mathis, Joe, Vlad, aren't the type of quick-twitch players particularly well-suited to play significant minutes in Weir's system. Sam physically fits it, but seems to be struggling to make the transition for a number of reasons. Granted all of them have played well at particular points during the season, but the margin for error is so slim that you are going to get these slip ups. This is particularly compounded by injuries and discipline issues. I suppose you can have the discussion that Weir should be more flexible in adjusting him system to fit the current roster, but I get the sense he is more concerned with implementing what he wants to do and building team culture long term rather than immediate success this year. The reality is this team was never meant to be a serious contender this year and at times has played above its head. In part due to effort and in part due to an MWC which continues to be down.
    What else would we be expected to measure this season by? If you look at the team realistically only one player IMO might be a starter next season (Maluach). I don't see McNeal, Simmons, Simons or Kuiper starting. I think Kuiper and Mathis might see decent minutes with and Pinchuk backing up with some measurable minutes. Other wise the majority of this years returning players will probably be backups so we can only hope for more wins than losses. I hate just throwing the towel in and saying this is only a learning year for the current players.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDamnFans View Post
    What else would we be expected to measure this season by? If you look at the team realistically only one player IMO might be a starter next season (Maluach). I don't see McNeal, Simmons, Simons or Kuiper starting. I think Kuiper and Mathis might see decent minutes and Pinchuk also backing up with measurable minutes. Other wise the majority of this years returning players will probably be backups. I hate just throwing the towel in and saying this is only a learning year for the current players.
    Last edited by Hoser; 1 Week Ago at 06:41 PM.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

Thanks
    Thanked 17,404 Times in 3,743 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 238 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    What else would we be expected to measure this season by? If you look at the team realistically only one player IMO might be a starter next season (Maluach). I don't see McNeal, Simmons, Simons or Kuiper starting. I think Kuiper and Mathis might see decent minutes with and Pinchuk backing up with some measurable minutes. Other wise the majority of this years returning players will probably be backups so we can only hope for more wins than losses. I hate just throwing the towel in and saying this is only a learning year for the current players.
    What were your expectations for this season before it began? Mine was a complete change in culture and a .500 record.
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacesells View Post
    What were your expectations for this season before it began? Mine was a complete change in culture and a .500 record.
    I as well predicted something around a .500 season. As far as culture goes, I knew nothing about Weir so I was clueless as to what he was going to bring to the table. After watching him coach 23 games with a team put together on the fly I think he has shown some good signs as far as managing his team. When he gets a more solid group of players in, I am hoping that the defensive side of the ball improves dramatically. Still optimistic in the future but too early to tell if he is the right guy or not. I think he needs at least two more seasons to show what he can do.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Hoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    I'm about as far away from a participation trophy guy as you can get, but the reality is the cupboard was pretty bare when Weir took over. He took over at a point in recruiting where he was behind the eight ball and did a nice job filling some holes to field a team that is competitive in spots. Then came the bizarre stuff with Connor. Then came the injuries and team discipline stuff. I'm not throwing in the towel, but I said from the beginning this team was going to win a few games it probably shouldn't and lose some games they should probably win. The good news is the conference is weak and UNM can shoot the three ball. Maybe they can rattle off 3 straight and sneak in to the tourney. But it's unlikely. I think the team overall plays hard, but gets physically overwhelmed at times and lacks the depth to run Weir's system effectively.

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to TheDamnFans For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,217 Times in 2,788 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 401 Times in 132 Posts
    find spots for both Maurice and Bragg one way or another...

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

43. The Following User Says Thank You to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 28 Times in 16 Posts
    That's what I was expecting as well. I am pleased. It would not have been a stretch for a team thrown together so late to have a 7 to 9 win season.

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to BigMel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 582 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 29 Times in 16 Posts
    An up and down season, but soooooo much more enjoyable to watch than the last three years. Might be wise to keep one scholarship slot open for one of those graduating senior transfers. Bound to be several good ones available. Hopefully a big man.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Lalo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Peace, I would have been happy with a .500 season and I knew that there was going to be culture change from the beginning. That is the hard part is in a new coach establishing what he wants to go forth with. Weir has their full attention I believe and I hope we continue to improve and I want to see this rough patch smoothed out team wise and we go out strong and do well in the tourney.
    JulieG

49. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,465 Times in 7,352 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 427 Times in 240 Posts
    Mine was to compete for an nit bid. However, that was before connor went down for the season. Any doubt we most likely win at afa and some other games, nmsu at home if Connor was available?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,404 Times in 3,743 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 238 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txlobo95 View Post
    Mine was to compete for an nit bid. However, that was before connor went down for the season. Any doubt we most likely win at afa and some other games, nmsu at home if Connor was available?
    you expected the lobos to compete for 1st place in conference?
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thread Information